[ chapter x ]

Selcouth Equilibrium
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Over the entirety of her formatted, regal lifestyle, the Crown Princess has never felt this lost.

 

The moment she raised her head once it pushed through against the lenient strength of the dense group of leaves, she expected to meet the hidden shed the palace gardeners attend to everytime they fulfill their daily tasks, which is, unfortunately, debunked.

 

Unbeknownst to her, the stupefied pair of eyes wondered to somewhere else. Is the princess seeing these right? The wooden shed is nowhere to be seen.

 

Instead of a rusty shed that is built within the boundaries of the Myoui palace, she was welcomed with a dim and hollow street, attempted to be illuminated with the restricted orange radiance emitting from the small light sources that hanged on high posts. No individual came about, nor any vehicle to drive by and witness the sudden appearance of Japan's beloved Crown Princess.

 

When Mina pulled her last leg to release from the nasty bush, she patted her dress in order to brush away the remaining remnants of leaves that stuck to the thick fabric. She wasn't sure if her presence is welcomed in this solitary place but proceeded to begin her pace as she examined this area of an unforeseen revelation.

 

"Where am I...?" She subconsciously muttered to herself as she wandered with nothing but incredulity in mind. There were no beings to interact with, making it more difficult for Mina to analyze where on earth did that man lead her to.

 

The man. Him.

 

It finally occurred to the princess that the reason why she had come upon a place so quiet is because of that man he followed in the first place. She pondered, where did he go? and the crucial question, what is this place?

 

Mina wanted to go back. There was something about this place that she couldn't quite fathom and that one element of uncertainty demanded her to do so.

 

But she couldn't pull herself to do so — not when this is a whole new world she stepped into what she thought was already part of the palace in the first place. Did the Emperor intend to build an area so hidden that not even his daughter could find in over the span of her monarchy? Or was it her ancestors that partook in this decision to include such an area filled with nothing but gloom?

 

The limited light source did assist her in guiding the way. When she staggered, albeit occasionally, a small lamp that hung on the edge of a wooden roof quickly showed her support to avoid the impending fall. Her hand grasped the wooden texture of a wall, then her opposing hand dropped on her knee as she took a breather.

 

This was the cue for her to go back — in the palace, where everyone is waiting for her to return. But not when the path is too dark and hazy; the possibility of her getting lost even further must definitely be prioritized as this is not a place she grew casually of.

 

In all seriousness what is this place?

 

Eventually, the sight of an orange glow, similar to the evident lights on the -out pavements, grew brighter and brighter as Mina stationed herself at her current position. Voices were heard as well, which provided the princess a tiny speck of hope that rescue has come her way.

 

She tried to move her pace, foot by foot. Lucky for her, her footwear didn't give some sense of difficulty for her to act. Mina held onto the surface as the distance between her and the bright, orange light became covered by only a few steps to leave.

 

It became all too fast — a firm hand clutched the princess' wrist, right when two men carrying a large torch ran down a now-evident stairwell thanks to the help of the flame that roared right above. Their voices resonated, saying things like, "Where did he go?!" in a manner of a whisper rather than a deafening chide. Either way, the princess could hear their high tones very well if it wasn't for the hand that kept from letting even a quiet hum escape her lips.

 

"Don't. Speak." Mina feels the breathy emphasis reach her neck. "Don't. Move."

 

Mina wanted to cry. To scream. For help. For Yuta. For Sana. Where in the damn world is she?!

 

As soon as Mina shifts a single muscle, the individual was adamant to pull her back when the men ceased outside their corner, rotating their torch to light up every nook and cranny available, searching for their prey with determination in their eyes.

 

Don't tell me this person is a criminal?! A kidna—

 

"Hey! There they are!"

 

The flame temporarily flashed Mina's eyes, into which she unconsciously triggered her leg to strike backward, accidentally hitting the person who had just held her (hostage) into keeping a minimum profile.

 

"Ouch!" The hand finally liberated , allowing her to escape in the middle of criminal discovery. Mina had no clue — no clue at all on where her feet are leading her. But she had to escape with the short proximity available between her and the accused kidnapper, not to mention those hungry men who seemed to bring danger more than her much needed salvation.

 

"Get them!" She hears the pulsating voice command, and that motivates the princess to accelerate her speed.

 

Are they following me?!

 

A few rocks obliterated her way, making her trip and stumble several times since her escape. Now, this is definitely confusing, really, how the hell did these all happen? She just followed that lousy man through a bush and now a whole new world appears right before her. God, fairytales have been authentic facts all this time and nobody told her?

 

Slightly disheveled hair and almost torn-up clothing, Mina dashed aimlessly to God knows where. She acknowledged the fact that she's lost in an unfathomable place and nobody else is available to keep her secured. Surely, the princess is not blind nor foolish to call for anyone familiar; the dullness of the location screamed the definition of an empty void — no sight of any living, no sight of any salvation.

 

Please tell me I'm dreaming.

 

It's called a predicament when your useless feet meets the worst obstacles of its kind — rocks. But will the princess consider the abrupt seizing of her dress from what feels like from above; fingers taking hold of her collar in no less than a second from behind as her figure was mounted singlehandedly on a curved and definitely animated body of a creature?

 

A horse. The first thing that comes into Mina's mind.

 

Uncomfortable with the awkward position, Mina maneuvered her legs to either side of the horse. Successfully adjusting to the pace, or so she thinks, she finds herself facing a strange, and yet, forbidding façade.

 

A scream was destined to be heard again, but the person behind this façade had already kicked the horse as an order for it to move and leave the recent site. Oblivious to the situation and petrified that she'll slip then fall one way or another, she buckled her arms around the horseman in front as there was no other equipment for the princess to hold onto.

 

Oh, no, the princess wasn't straddling the horse from behind. It was quite uncanny, actually; she straddled in front of the horseman, unsure if he can still see where they're heading to.

 

Embarrassing it was for the princess, but under this circumstance, humiliation is far more important than safety. She hopes that this horseman in front of her is a forgiving one.

 

The horse was gestured to run faster. Mina's eyes closed tightly, her fear slightly dispersing despite the fact that the person she's holding onto is hidden behind a mask — ironically.

 

What is it with people acting so mysterious behind a mask...are movies really this authentic with their plots nowadays?

 

The princess' figure was instantaneously pushed sidewards when the horse forces a hoof to make a left turn, but her arms continued to lock themselves around his surprisingly slim waist. She was baffled to notice the observable change of setting; ancient homes with no sign of colossal architectures. It was quite a stupefying sight when

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter