More Bark than Bite

Where the Road Ends

“Come you can stay with your pups while he gets looked at.” Jeonghan said leading him through the maze of a house again.

 

“Why are you doing this?” Joshua asked from behind him. Jeonghan shrugged.

 

“I was bored. You were cute.” He glanced behind him to see his cheeks turning red in embarrassment or anger he didn't care. “Be glad though. If I wasn't this bored you'd probably just be dead.”

 

“I don't usually do pet projects. But you and your little group has caught my eye.” Jeonghan stopped. Turning slowly he turned to face the other male. “Two English speakers and one Mandarin speaker. Your rag tag bunch would be worth plenty if you knew where to look.”

 

He advanced towards Joshua who hesitantly took a step back.

 

“Although if you are lying to me, you better hope you have a kill pill in that pretty mouth of yours.” His hand flew out to grab his chin. “You'd have wished I had killed you when we met, after I'm through with you.”

 

The boy merely shivered in his touch. Jeonghan let his hand travel down his neck to caress the red skin under the collar.

 

“I have something for this. Come. Follow.” The boy stayed silent and complied with his order.

 

He led them to their personal medical room. They couldn't go to hospitals as gang members so they had their own set up to treat wounded in house. There Jeonghan had him sit on a bed before grabbing ointment. He fished the small key out of his pocket and removed the collar. Joshua’s whole body seemed to sag in relief.

 

“You can keep it off tonight.” Jeonghan pocketed the collar for later.

 

He took the ointment and took his time rubbing it into the irritated skin. He let his fingers linger on his neck, admiring the slim dips and curves of his throat.

 

“Thank you.” He almost missed the small voice of his prisoner. With a smile he ruffled the others hair.

 

“Good boy. If you behave maybe I won't have to use it again.” He lied. The other male had looked damn good in his collar. Though it would look much better without the painful looking marks under it. Perhaps when he learned to listen better he could coax the male into wearing it for him without a fight.

 

“Now it's time for bed let's get you back to your pups.”

 

Leading them back to the rooms. Joshua followed without prompt and didn't stray. Jeonghan was impressed with how quickly he was beginning to understand the situation he was in.

 

As he approached the rooms. Jeonghan noticed Seokmin standing outside with an ice pack to his forehead with Minghao by his side.

 

“What happened?” They both froze at the sound of his voice and turned quickly.

 

“Um. Well. The smaller one had to use the bathroom. So I undid his legs to take him. But he kicked me in the head after and then tried to run out.”

 

Jeonghan sighed exasperated a classic escape tactic.

 

“I caught him trying to open the other door with his mouth.” Minghao said a scowl on his face.

 

“Are you ok Dokyeom?” Jeonghan walked up to him lifting the ice pack to inspect the damage. Eyebrows furrowed in concern.

 

“Yea it's just going to bruise.”

 

“Alright. Anything else to report?” They both shook their heads.

 

“No. The Chinese one just cried the whole time. And this one just shouted profanities at the door.” Minghao shrugged.

 

“Ok. Come puppy.” Jeonghan led them into the room with the Chinese male. Noting the freshly wiped face of the male. He'd have to ask his subordinates who did it. Since as tied up as he was he hadn't done it himself.

 

“What's his name.” His puppy had ran up to the others side cradling his head.

 

“Jun. Junhui.” The boy answered quickly. Jeonghan pulled out his pocket knife and cut the zip ties off.

 

“Come.” He let Joshua help his friend up walking into the other room where the last boy was. Minghao and Seokmin waited in the hall, Minghao held his firearm loosely for intimidation.

 

“You all may stay here until your friend is well. I'll figure out what to do with you all after that.” He said cutting the last tie off the smaller male.

 

Jeonghan wasn't expecting the boy to leap up and attack him. But he was always prepared. The kid pulled the knife from his loose grip and sprang up to swing it at him.

 

“Chan!” He heard Joshua shout from behind him. Jeonghan laughed at the boy.

 

“Now what are you going to do kid?” Judging by the sound of a struggle behind him, Minghao and Seokmin were no doubt holding his two friends now. Jeonghan stood calmly looking straight into the kids eyes.

 

“Let my friends go!” Chen? Chan? Chan’s voice quaked along with his hands.

 

“Take them outside. I want to talk to him alone.”

 

There was struggling and shouting from the two boys but Jeonghan heard the door shut and lock without too much of a problem.

 

“God damnit let them go!” His hand shook more as he tried to intimidate Jeonghan. Waving the knife wildly.

 

“Let's make a deal Chan.” The gang leader said walking a circle around the smaller male. “We’ll fight. If you manage to cut me at all within ten minutes. I'll let you and your friends go.”

 

Chan's eyes widened and his stance grew more serious. A glint of determination in his eyes.

 

“But if you lose. They all stay. And you work for me.” The shaking returned but the hope blooming in his eyes had Jeonghan holding back a laugh.

 

“How can I trust your word?” His voice was still trembling.

 

Jeonghan shrugged.

 

“You can or you can't. I don't care. Now come at me.”

 

Chan lunged forward attempting to gain the element of surprise. Jeonghan dogged grabbing the boys right wrist that held the knife and tugged down. Sending the boy tumbling to the floor. His body hit roughly and he rolling jumping back onto his feet. A fiery gaze directed at Jeonghan.

 

“Again.” He provoked.

 

The boy shouted in pure anger swinging downward this time at Jeonghan. Jeonghan darted his arm out and slid the blow off to the side. Their sides touching, Jeonghan used his weight to push the other off balance. He tried to swing the knife out to his right where Jeonghan was as he fell. Jeonghan simply stepped back to avoid it. He was panting hard gripping so hard onto the knife his knuckles were turning white.

 

“Oh is the baby tired?” Jeonghan teased.

 

“ you!” He lunged again and Jeonghan deflected the blow this time standing his ground and pushing the boy's chest back. Chan fell back onto the ground with a cry of pain.

 

The fight continued the same after he recovered. Chan swinging the knife and Jeonghan and the gang leader deflecting or dodging out of the way gracefully.

 

“Times up!” As Chan tried to strike at him Jeonghan grabbed his arm and used his other one to hit his wrist. Resulting in the other boy dropping the knife.

 

“Looks like you lose kid.” Jeonghan flipped him onto the ground, hard. The boy lied on the ground stunned. He took the knife and pocketed it walking back to the door.

 

“Some good tries. But you lack skill and discipline.” Jeonghan said to him leaning on the door.

 

“Do you want to protect those two?” Chan sat up glaring at him.

 

“Of course. From creeps like you!” His eyes still fierce even in his loss.

 

“I like your fire. I can see potential in you. We can cultivate it for you. Think over it. If you join us we can help you protect those important to you better.” Jeonghan knocked on the door, it opened quickly. Outside Minghao and Seokmin were looking almost bored with a game of poker on the table.

 

“Bring those two back in here with him. I'm going to bed.” Jeonghan started down the hall. He heard Minghao call after him.

 

“But it's only 2 pm?” He yawned and waved them off.

 

“Perfect time for a nap.”

 

--

 

When they were let back into the room with Chan they both rushed over.

 

“Chan are you alright?” Joshua said checking him over for wounds. All he saw was a large bruise forming in his wrist and tears streaming down his face. Chan rubbed them away with his arm before speaking.

 

“I'm fine. That bastard didn't hurt me.” His words came out with a hiss. Jun held his arm and pulled them all into the back corner of the room.

 

“What did he say?” Jun asked petting Chan’s head.

 

“He said if I could cut him he'd let us go.” They both gasped lightly but stayed silent letting him continue. “But if I lost he would keep us here.” The younger glared at the floor. Clearly debating something.

 

“Did you manage to hit him?” Jun probed lightly.

 

“No.” He said through clenched teeth. “He said. If I lost I would work for him.”

 

“Oh Chan.” Joshua pulled him closer letting his head rest against his chest. “Don't worry we'll get a way out of this.”

 

He felt tears soaking into his shirt.

 

“He took me to get Hansol. He's still really sick. I don't know if he managed to get water last night.” Jun leaned up to look at him better.

 

“What did he want with him?” Concern painted on his face.

 

Joshua felt conflicted if he should tell them. Since it would be admiring he had left Hansol with someone who had not really looked like a doctor.

 

“He brought him back with us.” He admired breaking eye contact with the black haired male.

 

“He's with someone Jeonghan said was a doctor.” Joshua felt them both looking at him now. “I tried to stay with him but he said that if I didn't leave they wouldn't treat him.”

 

Jun and Chan were both silent. There wasn't anything to say. Worry and fear of their situation plagued their minds.

 

“They took it off.” Jun was look at his neck touching lightly at the marks the collar had left.

 

“That man said if behaved he wouldn't use it again.” He spat out with hate, touching the sensitive skin.

 

He felt the slimy texture of the ointment and remembered the feeling of Jeonghan rubbing it in. The way his hands had spread on his throat and dipped onto skin that wasn't even damaged. The way his fingers lingered and the intense gaze he felt as Jeonghan touched him. His face heated as he thought about it, no one had ever touched him that way. It was intimate and scared him to think of what else Jeonghan wanted to do to him.

 

The door slammed open halting his thoughts.

 

“Here food.” The8 walked in carrying a few trays. Dokyeom stood at the door holding a pistol and a few bottles of water.

 

“It's not poisoned. Just don't eat too fast or you'll throw up.”

 

The three of them watched him cautiously as he placed three plates of delicious smelling food on the floor. Before turning and taking the water from Dokyeom and placing one alongside each tray. Joshua felt his stomach tremble at the smell and he held back the urge to throw himself at it. The8 stood there uncertainty his eyes looking around the room as if he wanted to say something more. He watched as The8’s eyes glanced at Jun holding eye contact for a few seconds. Before breaking it with an awkward cough.

 

“I made it. I hope it tastes alright.” His words came out in rushed Mandarin and before anyone could respond he had darted out of the room, Dokyeom’s laughter so loud they could hear it through the door.

 

“What just happened?” Chan asked pulling a tray to himself.

 

“He told me he made it himself?” Jun said hesitantly poking at the food with his chopsticks.

 

A small array of Chinese food was on the plates. It smelt great and looked delicious. They hadn't had food this good in probably months. Not since they had to move and take care of sick Vernon.

 

“These people are so weird.” Chan said taking a bite. His eyes glaring holes into the door.

 

“Did he blush just now?” Joshua’s eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

 

Jun just shrugged. “He wiped my face earlier today after they took you away. I don't know what to make of him.”

 

“Well he's probably if he works for that Jeonghan .” Chan spit out.

 

They are in silence after that. Hunger overpowering the need to talk. The food was as good as it smelt. The portions were small but filling.

 

As soon as they were done eating the door opened again. The8 stood at the door pushing Dokyeom out of the room. His cheeks were dusted pink again.

 

“ing .” He muttered picking up the trays. Not even glancing at them.

 

The three of them had backed into the corner again. Joshua watching him warily.

 

“Here. Jeonghan said you deserved it or some like that.” The8 said leaving a small pile of candy in place of the trays.

 

Before he could leave the door shut in his face. He pounded on it. Nearly dropping the trays. They could hear Dokyeom laughing obnoxiously behind the door.

 

“DK you ! Open the door!”

 

The Dokyeom responded but they weren't close enough to hear what he said.

 

“If you don't open the door I'll tell Jeonghan what you did to his pillow last month.” He hissed out.

 

After the threat the door swung open almost toppling him over. The8 shoved the dirty trays into Dokyeom and stalked away.

 

“Gross.” He peeled the trays off laughing to himself.

 

“Sorry about him. He's just shy.” The man smiled warmly at them and shut the door again. Lock falling back into place.

 

They looked at each other and Chan spoke.

 

“What the was that.”