Vernon?

Where the Road Ends

Jeonghan was pleased. Wonwoo hadn’t found any relation to any gangs in the area on these boys so if they really turned out to be just normal citizens he wouldn't have any trouble keeping Joshua. The other three, if there was a third, would end up somewhere probably in the gang. The Chan kid showed potential member material. Not to mention the bilingual Chinese male Jun would end up being useful. Minghao might have seemed like he didn't like him. But Jeonghan saw how he held himself back from his usual harsh ways, when he had interacted with the other Chinese male. Like how he had placed his head back onto the ground instead of throwing it like a ball against the cement like he normally did during interrogations.

 

Jeonghan gazed at the male next to him. He legs were shaking with restless energy and his hand kept pulling at the collar.

 

“Don't touch it.” Jeonghan tugged harshly on the leash and watched as he fell catching himself against the seat with a gasp on his lips.

 

“Sorry.” His puppy mumbled.

 

“How old are you?” He questioned. The other male blinked in surprise.

 

“I'm 21.” Same age as he was.

 

“We’re the same age. Call me Jeonghan.” The puppy stayed quiet. “What's your name? I can't keep just calling you puppy.”

 

“Joshua.” He said quietly. Almost too quietly to hear.

 

“Joshua? Usual name. You're not from here.” He stated. Joshua nodded but didn't speak.

 

There was a few moments of silence. Jeonghan stared at the other male watching him carefully. He was actually quite dirty. His puppy need a bath. The smaller male was also too skinny, Jeonghan would have to fix that. He pulled a water bottle from his bag rolling it on his palm. The gang leader smirked as he saw Joshua’s eyes widen at the sight of the bottle.

 

“Are you thirsty Joshua?” His head nodded immediately.

 

“Hmm I wonder what you have done to deserve this? Oh right. Nothing.” He let the smirk fall to become passive to intimidate Joshua.

 

“Please?” His eyes watched Jeonghan as he played with the bottle. He took the cap off and curled the finger at him.

 

“Come.” Joshua reached out to take it and Jeonghan slapped his hand away. His whole body flinched away. “I will do it come here.”

 

Joshua glanced at him and then to the bottle again. Jeonghan watched as a small pink tongue darted out to wet his chapped lips. He leaned in slowly a cautious expression on his face.

 

“Good boy.” He heard Jihoon gag in the driver seat. Ignoring it it cupped the boys face and tiled the bottle carefully to let him drink.

 

“Jeonghan really?”

 

“Hmm? Dogs require their masters help to get water.” He slowed the flow as he felt Joshua was drinking too much at once. “This is no different.”

 

“Oh my god.” Jihoon whispered.

 

Joshua chased the bottle as he removed it from his lips. Jeonghan gripped his chin and held him back.

 

“Drink too much and you’ll make yourself sick puppy.” He released him to cap the bottle. “Now what do you say?”

Joshua stared at him wide eyed, his adams apple bouncing as he swallowed nervously.

 

“Thank you.” His voice was quiet and his eyes moved down to stare at his hands.

 

“Jeonghan. We’re here.” Jihoon said parking the car in alongside a short building.

 

“Ah ok. This place is trash. You lived here?” The streets outside were barely visible with broken streetlights that flickered. The building before them that Joshua had given them the address too looked abandoned. There was police tape covering the front door. Windows were boarded up tightly.

 

“Alright let's go. You better pray that you're not lying to us.” Jihoon said with pain promised in his words. He pulled a gun from the passenger side. A full auto rifle. Joshua’s face went as pale as a sheet.

 

“Lead the way to your last pup!” Jeonghan told him cheerfully.

 

Most of the loiters of the area had fled when they had seen the logo on the car. Which meant Jeonghan’s voice bounced off the buildings but attracted no attention.

 

“Please don't hurt hi-” Jihoon cut him off with a grunt. The barrel of the riffle pushing him forward.

 

“Move.” Joshua took a few steps forward and Jeonghan joined him. Jiggling the leash playfully.

 

The collared male led them to the side of the building where they had pushed an old garbage can to reach a window.

 

“We climbed through there to get in.” His left hand man grunted and walked to the back door instead. With a swift kick he broke the door down.

 

--

 

“Go in first.” Joshua was pale. He hoped Hansol was alright, if the night before was bad he was so worried about how he fared through a night without them.

 

He led them again to where they four of them usually stayed. A room in the middle of the building that had one large bed they all shared. As he neared the door he panicked. He could hear Hansol coughing. He had to protect him from these madmen. Hansol wasn't fit to fight anyone off. He couldn't help Jun and Chan but he damned would try to help Hansol.

 

“Is that him puppy?”

 

Joshua acted on impulse and threw himself at Woozi hoping to at least pull the gun away from him. He managed to begin wrestling with the shorter male before his neck was pulled back harshly and he choked his hands flying to the collar he had forgotten about. Coughing wildly he shouted out.

 

“Vernon run!” His English threw off the two men long enough for him to resume trying to pull the gun away again. This time though he was thrown off again by the collar and then kicked into the wall. His back hit the wall knocking his breath out.

 

“That wasn't a smart thing to do puppy.” The smile wasn't warm anymore. Jeonghan’s leg hit his backside and stayed. The pressure increased, pushing his chest into the ground. Joshua felt as if he was crushing his ribs. The bones grated on each other, knocking his breath out from pain. His neck was pulled back as the insane man pulled the leash, Joshua’s hands pulled at the collar desperately.

 

“Hyung?” A timid voice spoke from the room. Jeonghan stopped pulling at the leash and Joshua took some gasps of air coughing when it rushed in too quickly.

 

“Hmmm seems like the last puppy came out on its own when it heard it's mother.” Jeonghan stepped off his back and pulled on the leash again. This time to signal him to stand. His legs shook as he tried to pull himself up. Jeonghan acted as if he hadn’t just tried to take the gun from his subordinate.

 

“Up up. Let's go see your sick pup now.” Jeonghan practically dragged him to the room where Hansol was struggling to sit up on the bed. His face was still flushed and covered in sweat.

 

“Joshua? What's going on?” Hansol was weak from exhaustion his voice trembling and his arms shook as they tried to hold himself up in the bed.

 

“He was telling the truth.” Woozi said in surprise. His eyes still glaring around the room as if something or someone would pop out from somewhere. He had brushed off Joshua’s attack like it was nothing.

 

Jeonghan strode up to the bedside confidently. The leash pulled Joshua along against his will as he still was struggling to breath. Joshua watched in fear as the male placed a hand against Vernon’s head.

 

“Hmm I guess this is pretty severe.” His gaze turned to the rest of the room. Noting the few trinkets they had managed to gather. Plus the small amount of clothing they had all shared.

 

“Puppy do you need anything here? You won't be returning.” His voice had a tone of finality in it that had Joshua’s stomach churning. He was glancing around the room in distaste a sneer on his face.

 

“Just a few-”

 

“Get them.” The gang leader commanded dropping the leash. He rushed around the room taking the things he knew his friends would want as well. Trying not to think about the rifle pointed at his back while he did.

 

“Vernon?” Jeonghan was talking to Hansol in a softer tone, it was almost kind.

 

“That's me. What's going on?” His voice hesitant as he watched Joshua run around their room. His eyes darting to the rifle every once in a while.

 

“Joshua told us about how you were sick. We’re gonna take you back to our place. Our doctor will look at you.” Hansol’s eyes widened.

 

“Thank you. I don't know what to-” He began coughing severely Joshua rushed to his side. A bottle of water held to him and a hand rubbing his back.

 

“Woozi call S.Coups. Tell him to send Seungkwan over.” Woozi nodded pulling his phone out and swinging his gun to rest on his back.

 

“Puppy don't worry. We’ll have him healthy in no time.” As Joshua helped Hansol he felt a hand card through his hair again gently.

 

“Let's get him to the car.” Joshua moved to help Hansol but Jeonghan pushed him aside.

 

“Collect your things and meet us at the car.” He unclipped the leash and picked up Hansol like he weighed nothing. Which he probably did since they had a hard time getting food while trying to buy medicine.

 

“Woozi call Wonwoo and-” His voice became muffled as Jeonghan moved further from the room.

 

Joshua stood in the room shocked his legs shaking from what had just occurred. He had been left alone. He could probably escape. But Hansol was with him. Plus Jun and Chan back at their base. Joshua felt angry tears building in his eyes. He couldn't protect them. He was alone in the room where he had once sat with the three of them. Promises of better lives here in the city up in smoke with this one wrong move.

 

The collar wrapped around his neck felt like fire. Burning shame into him. Knowing he had no chance of going out there and protecting Hansol. Let alone trying to get Jun and Chan back. He tugged at the leather again. Pulling the small lock in hopes of freeing himself from some shame.

 

A honk startled him out of trying anything more. Hansol was in a car with that madman. And he was in this room pitying himself. He sprung back into motion. Pulling every last item they had fought tooth and nail for over the years. Stuffing it into Chan’s old school bag before dashing out of the room. They would get through this together. He would go back with them. To escape together.

 

He ran to the car ignoring the bile that rose in his throat at the thought of returning back to that house with this man. But he was promising help for Hansol.

 

As long as Joshua listened.

 

“Get in. Our doctor will be waiting when we get there.”