[ - i don't have your number]

The Red Tape

In a panicked state, Sana rushed to their subject convenor to talk about the ill fate. She’d take full blame for the mistake – it was all her fault anyway. She hoped that their convenor would be understanding enough to let the issue go. Sana knocked on the door of their convenor’s office, nervousness building up in her veins.

A fairly young woman opened the door, catching Sana off-guard.

“I was looking for Ms Yoo?” Sana asked.

“That’s me. Yoo Jeongyeon.” The woman answered. “Are you here about the assignments? There is no way I can let you submit anything later than the due date.”

“I have a justified reason! Please just listen. It’s not my assignment, it’s my roommate’s.” Sana pleaded.

Surprised by the girl, the convenor nodded, letting her explain. “If it’s your roommate’s assignment, why are you the one who’s here?”

“Because I caused an accident this morning and I’m the reason she couldn’t submit her assignment.” Sana guiltily confessed.

“What was the issue?” Jeongyeon looked over at the mess of paper in Sana’s hand.

“I soaked her assignment papers and she couldn’t submit them on time.” Sana showed her convenor the papers.

“Tell her that she until the end of the day to put her papers in. Write her name down here too.” Jeongyeon sighed, pointing to a post-it note. “I know there’s more to the situation but I won’t push it. Now, hurry back to class. You guys will be split into group work today.”

Thanking her convenor once more, Sana nodded, bolting out of her room towards her class. The class would already have started – she was fifteen minutes late. Taking a deep breath as she arrived outside her class, Sana knocked, apologising to her teacher.

“We’ve already sorted out groups. Hands up if you don’t have enough people in your group?” The teacher asked as she looked at the class. There was one group that had one less member – it made sense now, since Sana wasn’t there.

“Right. Jihyo, Nayeon and Lena. You have room for one more member. Sana will join your group.” The teacher announced, ushering Sana to the group of three.

Sana cursed her luck as she walked towards them, Nayeon was avoiding eye contact while the other two offered a friendly smile.

“Welcome to the group.” Jihyo cheerily greeted, pulling Lena by her side and leaving Sana to stand by Nayeon.

“Is there a chance I can swap with another group.” Nayeon shot up, asking her teacher.

Ouch.

“Sorry Nayeon. This will be your group for the rest of the semester. You’ll be sub-grouped in your bigger groups for two aspects. One for recording and editing and one for acting and this will switch after each assignment. By the end of the semester, there should be two videos completed. The script list will be uploaded onto the forum and you’ll be able to choose one script for each video.” The teacher informed, earning a scoff from Nayeon.

“I know we’re probably not your best choices–”

“Please, Jihyo – you two are fine.” Nayeon shot down Jihyo’s self-depreciation. “Just some other factors.”

Sana remained silent, knowing completely well that Nayeon was referring to herself.

“…Right. For sub-groups, I think I’ll work with Lena, we know each other well. Would that be an issue?” Jihyo asked.

“No!” Sana responded before Nayeon had a chance to reject. “I think it’s a great idea to be partnered with someone you know. It makes the assignment work run smoothly.”

“If you’re not that acquainted with each other, I have an idea. Mid-semester break is coming up soon and I think that’s a great time to get to know each other. A trip can always form friendships. And we can start recording and acting then too.” Lena suggested.

“Or ruin them.” Nayeon grumbled.

“Lena! That’s brilliant! We can talk about it after class? A Facebook chat would work, right?” Jihyo enthusiastically questioned.

“Sure. Just add us all.” Nayeon nodded, typing in her name as Jihyo passed her phone over.

“Sounds lovely. If you have any suggestions for locations, pop them in the chat and we’ll have a look.” Lena encouraged.

As class was dismissed, Nayeon was quick to leave the room, not wanting to be around Sana for longer than she already had to deal with in the dorm. But, luck wasn’t on her side as Sana caught up to her, pulling on the sleeve of her shirt.

“I know you don’t want to talk to me right now so I’m just going to quickly say that the convenor wants you to put your physical copy of your assignment in by the end of the night.” Sana rapidly informed, letting go of Nayeon who was left in a mix of feelings.

Sana had helped her and talked to their convenor.

After ruining her work.

With a heavy sigh, Nayeon walked back to her dorm to reprint her work. She didn’t know how to take in everything that happened today. First, her assignment was ruined, then she got put with Sana for an assignment – which doubled her anger from the morning, then Jihyo planned a trip for the four of them for the assignment and now Sana came to her and told her she can submit her assignment after talking to the convenor. Should she be angry at Sana? Why was she not angry at Sana?

As soon as she’d approached Nayeon and told her that she talked to the convenor, it was as if the anger just dissipated into thin air. She was raging mad in the morning, even screaming at Momo which was uncalled for; she still had to apologise to her. It was clear though, that Sana wanted to fix things as soon as she could – probably was why she was most likely late to class as well. Maybe Nayeon could give her a thank you.

---

Momo grumbled as she opened the door to her room after much persistent knocking. She was in a bad mood after Nayeon went off at her this morning for no apparent reason. And instead of apologising, Nayeon simply went to class. The least she could’ve done was explain what had put her in such a mood – Momo wasn’t that bad to talk to about these things.

Speaking of the devil.

Nayeon stood outside Momo’s room, a bag of takeaway boxes in one hand, while the other contained a tub of ice-cream. She struggled not to smile at Nayeon’s attempt to apologise.

“Really?” Momo raised an eyebrow at her best friend.

“I’m sorry. I had a bad morning.” Nayeon explained.

“Uh-huh.” Momo rolled her eyes, taking the bags off Nayeon. “Let me guess – it’s related to Sana.”

“Not everything I talk about is about Sana.” Nayeon mumbled.

“Oh, yeah? But anything negative is always related to Sana.” Momo laughed, earning a shove from Nayeon.

“Shut it.” Nayeon groaned, collapsing on Momo’s couch. “Are you feeling better too?”

“Huh? Yeah, of course.” Momo grinned.

“Don’t give me that lovesick look – I don’t know how Mina can stay blind to your googly eyes. Did she take care of you?” Nayeon asked as she switched on the television.

Momo chuckled as she opened the takeaway boxes, plating their food. She left a box for Mina, knowing she’d want to eat it after her long day of classes.

“Mhmm. She cooked for me and made sure I took my meds. Then we had a long chat about why she was avoiding me. A conversation that was held back for too long.” Momo nodded as she brought Nayeon her food.

“Now it’s understandable why you’re grinning like a kid who got their favourite toy on Christmas. I can’t imagine what you’d be like if you do get together.” Nayeon exaggeratedly pretended to puke.

“You’re just jealous.” Momo teased, sitting on the couch next to Nayeon.

Momo received no response from Nayeon and thought she’d made her best friend annoyed at her comment. But, as she turned to face her, Nayeon was in deep thought, as if she was contemplating what Momo had just said.

“Maybe I’m just not fated.” Nayeon frowned as she thought about it.

“Hello? Where’s Nayeon?” Momo snickered, knocking on Nayeon’s head. “Since when do you think about these things so deeply? We literally just graduated from high school, no one is going to land on your lap and miraculously become your wife.”

“Jesus, Momo. Who said I wanted a wife!” Nayeon gasped, smacking her best friend countless times for her words.

“Hey! Stop hitting me!” Momo groaned, trying to get Nayeon’s hands off her.

The door to the room opened and the duo froze, Momo pushing Nayeon off and make her fall to the ground with a loud thud.

“What the hell Momo?” Nayeon whined, rubbing her back.

“Hi Mina!” Momo greeted her roommate, who was eyeing both girls with suspicion.

“What’s going on here?” Mina asked.

“Ah, just dinner.” Nayeon explained. “And some talking.”

“Your food is on the counter.” Momo smiled at Mina, making her blush.

“You left food for Mina? Since when do you leave food for anyone?” Nayeon guffawed, shocked by Momo’s actions.

Momo glared at Nayeon, poking her in the ribs to get her to shut up. “Nayeon was actually just leaving.”

“What–”

“See you later Nayeon. Don’t you need to hand in your assignment?” Momo cut Nayeon off, pushing her out the door.

Mina hid her laughter at the way Momo was acting, shaking her head at the pair. She picked up the box that was left on the counter, digging in immediately.

Momo remembered what she liked.

---

Completely shocked by Momo’s treatment, Nayeon scowled at her best friend before she left to print out her work. It was definitely clear that Momo was whipped for Mina now that she even offered her food that was for herself.

Nayeon could finally let out a sigh of relief as she pushed her papers through for submission in their Arts Office. Her heart could take a break for now – maybe a week? The next set of assignments would be rolling in soon anyway. Her schedule was jam-packed now, with three more tasks to do – including the first shooting with Jihyo and Lena.

It never really ends – that’s the only thing Nayeon could think about as she walked back to her dorm room. The assignments will finish this month, then there would a little break for a few weeks before it’s exam time and the stress will pile up all over again. And this happens every single semester until they graduate – possibly getting worse by year.

So deep in her thoughts, Nayeon reached her room quicker than she expected. As she pulled out her keys from her backpack, she staggered on her spot as she saw a sleeping Sana against their door. What the hell? Nayeon panicked as she saw her roommate, quick to kneel down and check on her. She was ice-cold but asleep? What was she thinking by going to sleep outside their bloody door.

“Sana? Wake up.” Nayeon shook her.

She whined, but awoke, mumbling something about being locked out.

“Why are you outside? Not even sitting, but asleep.” Nayeon scolded, opening their door. Anything could’ve happened to her – terrible things could’ve happened.

“My keys are inside.” Sana murmured sleepily.

“Why didn’t you message me?” Nayeon frowned, pulling Sana up.

“, I don’t have your number.” Sana retorted.

Oh, right. Well – that wasn’t really Nayeon’s fault, was it?

“Why didn’t you ask Mina to help you out?” Nayeon questioned.

“You’re asking too many questions. Shhh.” Sana placed her finger on Nayeon’s lips, silencing her.

Nayeon turned red as Sana’s touch lingered on her lips. Carefully, she guided Sana to her bed, pulling her covers over her.

“What is going on with everything today?” Nayeon asked herself as she looked upon Sana’s sleeping figure.

At least, she was in bed.