[i'll be your romeo]

The Red Tape

Sana had grown tired.

Nayeon had not only stolen all the blankets on the bed, but also kicked her a total of five times in the past hour. The girl wasn’t letting her sleep at all. Even with the barrier in the middle, Nayeon managed to ruin it, making it lose its purpose. When was she going to find a comfortable position to sleep in? One last time, she shoved Nayeon’s foot on her side of the bed before she turned around and shut her eyes close, hoping to fall asleep.

“Don’t leave the duck alone!” Nayeon suddenly shouted, scaring Sana in the process, making her sit up.

She looked over to the perpetrator, about to give her an ear full about screaming in the middle of the night, only to see that Nayeon had never woken up. The girl was mumbling in her sleep. Sana held her hand over her heart as she tried to calm down from the scare. Nayeon kicked around in her sleep, hogged all of the blankets and talked nonsense; Sana was going to have a great time the next few days.

Instead of dealing with sleeping next to Nayeon, Sana grabbed her pillow and a thin sheet and decided to sleep on the couch that was too short for her. At least she’d have all the space to herself rather than being engulfed by Nayeon. So much for her saying she won’t be the one to cross the barrier. Sana couldn’t wait to shove that in her face in the morning. She had no understanding of personal space. Looking at the clock, Sana panicked as the red digits showed that she’d spent a lot more time thinking about Nayeon than she expected.

Add loss of sleep to that list of things Nayeon did, too.

---

Sana sighed softly as she woke up, stretching out on the comfortable mattress that she felt like she could sleep on forever.

Mattress?

What?

She bolted up, throwing off the blankets that covered her. When had she gotten into the bed? Nayeon wasn’t beside her either. Sana looked over to the couch, seeing the woman who was invading her mind, fast asleep, legs dangling off the edge.

Did she dream about sleeping on the couch and Nayeon’s sleep talking? No, it was very much real. So, either Nayeon put her to bed last night… carrying Sana from the couch and sleeping there. Or, Sana slept in the bed and Nayeon just moved to the couch. There was no other possibility.

Both of their phones buzzed at the same time and Nayeon stirred awake, trying to find the source of the frustrating sound. Sana watched in amusement, as her phone was by the bed and not the couch. Feeling a little too evil for laughing at her, she handed Nayeon her phone, seeing her squinting, but offering a small smile.

“Thank you.” Nayeon mumbled, sitting up on the couch.

“It’s from Jihyo. Probably about getting started on the assignment.” Sana informed as Nayeon struggled to read her message.

“Sorry, I don’t have my glasses on at the moment.” Nayeon admitted, blushing in embarrassment.

Sana sighed, but grabbed them off the table for her, and passing it over. “Why were you sleeping on the couch anyway?” Sana questioned, making Nayeon freeze.

“What? You don’t remember?” Nayeon gasped.

“Please tell me, you didn’t carry me to the bed without my permission.” Sana growled, getting agitated by the mere thought.

Nayeon laughed at Sana’s assumption. Of course, that would never happen. She would be out of her mind to carry Sana when she was so exhausted last night.

“No. I didn’t. You woke me up and told me to sleep on the couch.” Nayeon explained as she got up.

“Wait, no way. I’d never do that!” Sana accused, already red from Nayeon’s words.

“You literally came up to me and shook me awake. You said you wanted the bed to yourself because it was all my fault you were sleeping on the couch instead.” Nayeon crossed her arms.

“I – no, I don’t believe you.” Sana frowned, trying to remember what had happened.

“I’ll let you think about it. I’m going to go wash up.” Nayeon smiled, leaving a confused Sana behind.

Sana stood rooted on her spot, thinking about what Nayeon had just said. She remembered grabbing the sheet and pillow off the bed to go to the couch. After that, her mind was drawing a blank – oh wait. Oh god, Nayeon hadn’t lied. The embarrassment was starting to creep in now. Sana had been too cold on the couch and she was still pissed at Nayeon for stealing all of the blankets earlier… so she told Nayeon to sleep on the couch.

Well, more like demanded.

Oh, god.

She’d even threatened Nayeon with going back to her old tactics again, which they’d promised to leave behind. Sana jumped to her feet as Nayeon exited the bathroom, freezing when she realised she was being stared at by Sana.

“I didn’t take that long? I’m sorry. You can go in now.” Nayeon mumbled, moving to her bag.

“Huh? Wait, no that’s not it.” Sana shook her head. “I’m sorry about this morning. I must have been really exhausted.”

“Oh. No, that’s fine. I mean, you slept next to me for hours, and I know how difficult that is. I didn’t think that I’d be that bad. It’s just a bad habit of mine, so I’m sorry. I knew you were tired as well, so don’t worry. It’s fine, I’ll just take the couch the next few nights. I don’t want you to be uncomfortable.” Nayeon grinned.

For some reason, Sana felt really guilty as Nayeon opted to take the couch. They’d discussed last night that they would be okay sleeping together, so Nayeon shouldn’t be going out of her way to sleep on the couch. Maybe, just maybe, Nayeon had sleeping problems? She didn’t want to assume, but she was usually calm at the dorm.

“It’s fine. I’ll ask for extra blankets for tonight. You’re not sleeping on that couch. You’d be better off sleeping on cardboard than that.” Sana argued, not letting Nayeon reply as she locked herself inside the bathroom.

---

“So, do you two want to act first or edit the video for the first assignment?” Jihyo asked as Sana and Nayeon joined her outside.

“Act.” “Edit.” The duo spoke at once, Jihyo laughing at them both.

“Okay, how about you join me for editing, Sana, and Nayeon can act with Lena on this one?” Jihyo suggested, earning accepting nods from them.

“Are we doing Ghost first? Or Romeo & Juliet?” Nayeon questioned.

“Hmm. Maybe R&J? It requires a kiss though.” Jihyo hummed as she flipped through the script.

Upon the mention, Nayeon nodded, pulling up a copy of their acting script. Lena approached Nayeon shyly, asking to go through the script together. From the corner of her eyes, Nayeon could see Sana was staring at them, but was unaware of any reason why. It’s not like she wanted to act first – she’d said so herself that she wanted to edit. Ignoring her, she faced Lena instead.

Sana looked to the duo with a frown on her face. Nayeon and Lena had moved away from Jihyo and herself, deciding to work on the script. But why were they laughing so much and hitting each other’s shoulders like they were long lost friends. She watched on as Nayeon brushed Lena’s hair behind her ear, saying something that made her erupt into laughter and blush. Sana’s frown deepened as Nayeon held Lena’s hand, squeezing it tightly.

“Any more staring and you’ll burn them both.” Jihyo joked beside her, nudging her.

“Huh? Oh, I was just lost in thought.” Sana shrugged, pretending like she wasn’t just staring at her roommate.

Jihyo rolled her eyes at the excuse, knowing fairly well that Sana wasn’t lost in thought, but she let her go on with the lie. The closer Lena and Nayeon got, the more agitated Sana became. Like, as if any second, she’d go up there and split them apart.

“Don’t you think we should start acting? Or practicing a little bit?” Sana shouted at the giggling duo. Her blood was boiling at the sight. This trip wasn’t just for them to flirt with each other and spend time together. They had work to do.

Clearly, both girls were startled with Sana’s shout, only Jihyo biting the inside of her cheek to stop herself from laughing at Sana’s situation. She didn’t have a death wish; especially from the raging girl beside her.

 “Did you decide who will be who?” Jihyo stood up to approach the duo. “I think Nayeon would be a good Romeo.”

“Lena is Romeo. I’m better off playing Juliet.” Nayeon shook her head, looking to Sana to see if she was okay.

“Sure?” Jihyo double-checked.

“Mhmm. We’re good to go.” Lena clapped, earning a snicker from Sana.

“Sana? You okay?” Nayeon raised an eyebrow at her roommate.

“Why wouldn’t I be? All good.” Sana forced a smile.

Nayeon hesitated for a few moments, wondering what was going on in that mind of hers, but Jihyo pushed her away, telling her to stand by Lena.

“We’re just running through lines. This shouldn’t take long, since the scene is quite short. Then we’ll move to one of our room balconies, where Nayeon will be.” Jihyo advised. “Since Lena will be Romeo, she’ll be standing at the bottom, trying to sneak up to see Nayeon.”

“Sounds good. Let’s get these lines going then.” Nayeon cheered, turning to face Lena.

Sana sighed heavily as she watched the two, not liking the feeling brewing in her stomach. She looked away as they proclaimed their love for each other. Her mood was changing very fast, changing from frustrated to annoyed and now angry.

Without her knowledge, Jihyo tried to get Lena’s attention, waving frantically next to her. Go with the plan, she mouthed, earning a nod and thumbs up from Lena. The duo smiled evilly, having full faith in what they’d discussed.

“Alright, ready? Go.” Jihyo instructed, getting the duo to start their dialogue.

She waited for the key moment, where she knew Sana would blow. Well, where Jihyo was expecting her to. It was about towards the end of the scene, and she knew Sana was following along, with the way her jaw was set tightly.

This won’t backfire.

“Farewell, my love. One more kiss, and I’ll descend.” Lena spoke with charm.

Nayeon gulped as she Lena leaned forward, closing the distance between the of them. Jihyo smiled in satisfaction as Sana clenched her fists beside her.

One.

Two.

Three.

“Wait!” Sana shouted, startling Nayeon and Lena, making them jump apart.

Three pairs of eyes turned to her, waiting for a response from Sana as to why she stopped them.

“What happened?” Nayeon frowned in worry. “That was bad acting, wasn’t it? I’m not going to do well in the future at the rate I’m going at.”

“I think we need to make some adjustments.” Sana suggested.

“Like what?” Jihyo pushed.

“I think their chemistry isn’t good enough. There’s something missing. It seems like you two are more like friends than lovers.” Sana criticised.

Jihyo almost snickered at Sana’s excuse. It was pretty much putting Nayeon and Lena into the friendzone.

Well played Sana.

“Oh? Really? It kind of seemed a little awkward to me too.” Jihyo played along, nudging Sana.

“I guess we can work on it–”

“No! There’s no need for that.” Sana cut off Lena’s suggestion.

“What other solution do we have? Because, I really don’t see any, unless either of you change your jobs.” Nayeon sighed.

“I’ll do it.” Sana moved forward. “We’re roommates, so it won’t be uncomfortable for us to work together.”

Nayeon struggled to keep the smile off her face as she heard Sana’s suggestion. “Are you sure? I thought you wanted to edit.”

“I’ll do it.” Sana looked up to face Nayeon, locking eyes with her. “I’ll be your Romeo.”