[fight fire with fire]

The Red Tape

Nayeon was seated upright against the frame of her bed early in the morning. There was still time until Sana woke up so she could think things through. Despite the fact that Nayeon was having some second thoughts on whether or not she should go ahead with her plans of torturing Sana, she knew she couldn’t scrap it anymore. The girl would never say yes to having a proper conversation with her, even if her life depended on it.

Maybe her own plan was a bit extreme… no, Nayeon was overthinking this. It wouldn’t turn out to be so bad – she knew Sana wouldn’t just let things be.

She jumped out of bed first, washing up and getting ready for class. Nayeon nudged her sock over the red tape, letting most of it cross over to Sana’s side. Hiding a snicker, she quietly escaped the room, not willing to wait for the wrath of her roommate.

Walking quickly towards the courtyard, Nayeon finally spotted Momo, throwing an arm around her best friend and scaring her in the process.

“Why the hell are you walking around so quietly?!” Momo screeched, holding onto her heart.

“It’s been how many years and you still get scared when I sneak up on you? Shouldn’t you be used to this by now?” Nayeon scoffed. “What are you thinking about that has you in la la land?”

Momo’s hesitation piqued Nayeon’s interest and she turned to face her, observing her Japanese friend. Sporting a frown, Nayeon knew something was up and she elbowed her to gain her attention. Momo whined in pain, glaring at Nayeon.

“What?!” Momo growled.

“Why aren’t you responding?” Nayeon demanded.

“I’m just thinking. Anyway, why do you look so smug.” Momo diverted.

Nayeon hadn’t failed to realise that Momo was changing the topic, but she didn’t want to push it in the moment, knowing that she’d approach Nayeon when she was ready to talk.

“Hmm. The plan is in motion.” Nayeon smiled, brushing off invisible dirt from her shoulder.

“I’m not saying it will backfire. I’m certain it will backfire.” Momo rolled her eyes, leaning her back against Nayeon’s.

“If it backfires, maybe things will actually be interesting.” Nayeon shrugged.

“Oh, please. Did she have that much of an impact on you because she didn’t like you at first sight?” Momo chuckled.

“Hey! It’s not that at all!” Nayeon whined, slapping Momo’s back.

The duo bickered back and forth, neither of them being mature about the situation in hand – or out of hand. Eventually, Momo found the courage to talk about what has been bothering her all morning, clearing to get Nayeon’s attention.

“So… I think I have a crush on my roommate.” Momo confessed.

“That’s what’s got you so worked up this morning? I thought we both accepted that when your mouth was opening and closing like a fish when you saw her walk in.” Nayeon teased.

“Nay!!” Momo whined, almost pushing Nayeon off the seat they were sitting on.

“Alright, what’s the problem? Just wait until you’re ready to confess it. Right now, don’t rush anything. Get to know her.” Nayeon suggested.

“Argh. This is so frustrating. It’s so hard to act normal around her.” Momo sulked, leaning her head against Nayeon’s shoulder.

Nayeon laughed, patting Momo’s head as she continued to whine about her crush on her roommate. She was sure her best friend will figure something out soon. And Nayeon was sure that Mina could possibly like her after seeing Momo carry her suitcase like it weighed like nothing when she moved in. A high possibility. She already had a better love story than Nayeon could possibly even imagine of.

---

Sana slammed her alarm as it blared, waking her up on time. She didn’t want there to be a repeat of her first day again. Mumbling incoherently, she threw off her blankets, sleepily walking to her bathroom. In her dazed walk, she failed to notice Nayeon’s mischievous present for Sana. Somehow, she completely missed it, not even slipping on the discarded item.

Finally waking up after being refreshed, Sana finally saw it. She knew something was up when she spotted the lone sock on her side of the red tape on the path to the kitchen. But, she was in no mood to approach Nayeon about it, letting it slide and throwing the filth back on her side. She had a class to go to – Nayeon wasn’t going to ruin her morning this time.

Mina met Sana outside her dorm room, greeting her with a brown paper bag that was definitely meant to be her breakfast. Rather than passing it to her, Mina shoved it into Sana’s chest, not waiting for her to walk with her. Now, why was this girl so moody this morning? Sana huffed as she struggled to walk faster to walk with Mina, finally getting into an arm’s reach with her best friend and pulling her back.

“Okay, there’s something clearly wrong. Why are you angry?” Sana asked in worry.

“Just a bad morning. Saw something I didn’t like. It’s fine.” Mina sighed heavily. Maybe seeing Momo being cuddly with Nayeon made her this way. She couldn’t help the feeling of anger bubble up inside her stomach when she saw the pair by a cafe on campus.

“Hmm. Whatever it is, things will get better. What if it was a misunderstanding? Don’t just look at your roommate and think she’s with someone.” Sana gathered.

Mina blushed furiously as Sana found out the reason for her grumpiness so fast. She’d only talked to Sana about Momo once. How did Sana immediately know she’d seen Momo this morning? She pushed Sana, groaning in annoyance.

“How did you know?” Mina grumbled.

“Please, you had starry eyes when you talked about her. It was like she was your world. And to think that you became like this because she lifted up some of your bags.” Sana snickered.

“Excuse me, she’s very nice too. She makes sure I eat and doesn’t put red tape in the middle of my dorm like some other lunatic.” Mina scoffed.

“Ouch!” Sana pretended, holding her heart.

Mina rolled her eyes, not able to understand why Sana was so stubborn about her situation with Nayeon. Did the word maturity not exist in her dictionary? The past should be left behind.

“You’re such a brat. May god help Nayeon for having to deal with you.” Mina shook her head.

“She’s just that special.” Sana grinned, walking towards class.

---

Okay, Sana was officially pissed.

Their dorm room was a mess and her annoying roommate was to blame.

Clothes everywhere, dishes in the sink, books and papers thrown around -  it looked like . What was her purpose? To ruin Sana’s life?

Over the past two weeks, their situation was getting worse. From a few items to a bloody mess. Sana’s patience no longer existed. Nayeon just piled more and more things to everything else and Sana would not tolerate it any longer.

And to top it all off, Nayeon was sleeping soundly in bed, while Sana had to deal with such a horrid sight. Hell no. She was going to clean up this mess today and right now.

Stomping towards Nayeon’s bed, Sana contemplated what she could do to wake her up. A bucket of cold water would be nice but it would ruin the bed sheets. Smirking, she finally figured out a plan, pulling off Nayeon’s blankets, making her roll with it and consequently, making Nayeon hit their wooden flooring.

Nayeon groaned as she was awoken rudely from her dreams. She rubbed her back as she sat up, losing her sleep as soon as she saw the terrifying sight of her roommate glaring down at her. She could imagine the steam coming out of her ears and Nayeon gulped, preparing her body for what was to come.

“Get your up right now. The purpose of this red tape isn’t to throw your things around! Move your back in place before I set fire to everything.” Sana growled, kicking a pile of clothes out of her way.

Nayeon stumbled as she tried to get up, gathering her belongings. She couldn’t believe that her plan actually worked. Maybe the outcome was a little worse than she expected but Sana did warn her about what would happen if Nayeon crossed the line.

“All I get is a random wake up call?” Nayeon muttered.

“I did contemplate throwing a bucket of cold water on your face.” Sana responded nonchalantly. “I guess I can leave it for next time if it happens again.” She said as she walked out the door. “I better see the room tidy when I get back.”

---

It was safe to say that Nayeon was going to die. She still hadn’t set the room, waiting for Sana to come home instead. It was basically suicide but hey, Sana finally said something to her. What’s the worst she could do if Nayeon hadn’t tidied the dorm room? The option of cold water was out of question.

As the key jingled outside their front door, Nayeon braced herself for what was to come. She wasn’t really prepared but her heart was beating rapidly at a crazy pace, deeply reflective of the chaos inside her mind.

Sana’s smile dropped as soon as she walked in, holding onto her keys tightly. She glared at Nayeon, not knowing what to do with the bratty girl. What was so hard about cleaning up?

“Seriously? I was gone for hours? What the hell have you been doing?!” Sana groaned, slamming her bag on the floor.

“That’s what it takes?” Nayeon moodily mumbled.

“What?” Sana whipped her head back to face Nayeon.

“It takes me causing a mess for you to talk to me.” Nayeon scoffed.

“So, this was a plan to get me to talk? What’s wrong with you?! All I wanted was a proper roommate who doesn’t cause a mess and doesn’t disturb me. But as soon I saw you, I knew that was impossible. From high school to now, nothing seemed to have changed. You’re still as infuriating as ever and I’m on a thin line between getting completely pissed and losing my mind as opposed to just keeping things at bay.” Sana ranted, catching Nayeon off guard.

“It would’ve been fine if you at least tried to acknowledge my presence but you pretend I don’t exist. I just want to move forward but you’re stuck in the past. I don’t know what I did, but I’m sorry. I can’t deal with this relationship between us. We’re roommates, not strangers.” Nayeon argued.

“You’re not exactly being mature about this, you know? Purposely triggering me won’t be beneficial. Keep doing this. Keep infuriating me because I’m at the point where I don’t care what you do. You throw something on my side, I’ll throw something on yours. Fight fire with fire.” Sana shrugged. “I told you that there would be consequences to crossing the line and you ignored them. You could’ve approached me in a civil way, but now you’ll regret it.” Sana smiled widely at Nayeon, effectively scaring the girl.

“That’s rich coming from you. You didn’t once seem like you wanted to be in a room with me.” Nayeon chuckled.

“Either way, you crossed the line. I told you not to when we first met. I ignored it for a whole week. But you remained childish and now you’ll suffer. So, good luck.” Sana shrugged. “You should be careful of everything around you, just a heads up.”

“And Approaching you?” Nayeon laughed. “If I come one step to close to you, you retreat immediately.” She pointed out as she moved closer to Sana, who moved back on instinct. “How do you expect me to talk to you when you really don’t want to?”

Sana glared at Nayeon as she towered over her. “A simple explanation would have been enough. I’m not satan. I have a heart. If you wanted forgiveness, I would’ve been open to listen to you.”

Nayeon remained flabbergasted as Sana pushed her away. She held her head in her hands, realising what a big problem she had on her hands.

She definitely miscalculated Sana’s courage.


A/N: I'm very sorry for the late update!! I hope you also like the cover~
I'll try to be a bit more consistent with updates ;-;