[do you want me to show how I flirt?]

The Red Tape

Nayeon and Sana were seated in an Uber as they headed towards their destination, where they’d meet Jihyo and Lena. Sitting on the complete opposite ends of the back seat, neither of them spoke. The driver himself, felt uncomfortable with the high tension that exuded from the duo. As for the two girls in question, their thoughts were scattered as the memory of the previous night’s conversation remained looped in their minds.

“I… just wanted to know why you protected me first.”

When Sana had asked Nayeon, she remained tongue tied, unable to form a proper reasoning for her actions. It was like an automatic reaction on her end, yet… Nayeon knew that wouldn’t be a justified answer.

“I don’t know.”

“What you do mean you don’t know?”

Sana was annoyed with their constant back and forth conversations. She just wanted a straight answer.

“It means I don’t know. It was on impulse.”

“On impulse?”

With Nayeon’s patience regarding their conversation wearing thin due to her lack of knowledge on what to say, her following words might have come off harsher than she’d have liked it to.

“It was in the moment. If it bothered you so much, I’m sorry. I won’t do it again.”

That was where things turned around for the two of them. Nayeon had walked away and left Sana behind, who remained shocked with her outburst.

So, now, the tension that remained between them, existed because of the misunderstandings of their conversation the night before. Nayeon was in deep thought, regretting her actions – while Sana lingered on how Nayeon could’ve read the situation differently.

Actually, they hadn’t even planned on traveling together. They wanted to avoid the other, but as luck would have it, Jihyo had booked their Uber ride on behalf of them, ensuring they came together. They’d argued over the phone with her, but Nayeon and Sana had settled with not letting Jihyo’s money going to waste, and accepted the ride.

“We’ve reached.”

Both girls looked out to their destination, finding themselves in front of a hotel.

“Is this the right address?” Nayeon didn’t hesitate to ask.

“This is what I’ve been given.” The driver shrugged.

Nayeon sighed but nodded, getting out of the car and removing her bags, along with Sana’s, out of the boot. She knew she was being stared at by the Japanese girl, but Nayeon refused to make eye contact.

“Can you call Jihyo? My phone battery is flat.” Nayeon grumbled.

“No need.” Sana indicated towards their right, where Jihyo was basically running to them.

“Glad you two could make it!” Jihyo smiled brightly as she reached the duo. “Why do you two look so grumpy?”

“Why are we at a hotel?” Sana questioned.

“Because, it was what I could get on quick demand, which also has a nice area nearby.” Jihyo explained. “You guys are avoiding the question.”

“Let’s head inside.” Nayeon indicated, heading towards the entrance.

“Oh, jesus christ you guys. Fine. Just give them your names at the concierge. I’ll meet you two soon.” Jihyo rolled her eyes at the way they were acting, before disappearing.

Nayeon and Sana eyed Jihyo with suspicion as she left them quickly, but decided to say nothing, heading to check-in.

“Hi, we have a booking under Im Nayeon and Minatozaki Sana.” Nayeon smiled at the girl behind the counter, who blushed under Nayeon’s gaze.

Beside her, Sana couldn’t help but snicker at Nayeon’s actions. Nayeon turned to her and raised an eyebrow, but Sana didn’t say anything, looking the other way.

“Ah, right. It was under Miss Jihyo.” The girl nodded.

“Miss Jihyo?” Nayeon frowned in confusion.

“Yes. Miss Jihyo? The daughter of the owner of Park Hotels. I thought you were aware.”

“Definitely not.” Nayeon and Sana gasped as they took in the new information.

“My apologies. It was not my position to say such a thing.” The girl nervously looked away.

“Oh, it’s no problem–”

“Sorry to cut this short, but could we get our room keys please?” Sana cut off Nayeon’s next attempt at flirting.

The duo were handed two key cards and informed of their package deal. “Your double room is on level three, 306.”

“Double room?” Sana questioned.

“One double bed that has the oceanside view. That was Jihyo’s terms.”

“We will not be sleeping on a double bed.” Nayeon grumbled.

“Well, unfortunately, our rooms are all booked out for this evening, and the following ones.”

“Seriously? There’s no way – argh.” Sana held her head in her hand.

“I was told that you two were roommates in college, so it would be fine if you have one room together.”

“I think I’ll kill Jihyo when I see her next time.” Sana grinned, dying internally.

“It’ll be fine. We’ll sort something out. Thank you.” Nayeon grabbed the keys as she waved at the girl, heading towards the elevators.

Sana followed behind her, muttering to herself as she saw the two of them interact. Nayeon really had the audacity to flirt like that when Sana and Nayeon were currently going to be stuck in a room together – with one bed. At least, she could’ve tried to use her flirting for more useful purposes.

“Why not use your flirting to get her to get us a better room?” Sana shaded.

“Honestly? I’m more than fine with having an ocean view. The room and the services provided are all free – I’m not going to complain. Just look at the bright side of things.” Nayeon shrugged. “And, I wasn’t flirting.”

Sana remained silent and Nayeon smirked, taking it as a win.

“Do you want me to show how I flirt?” Nayeon turned around, walking towards Sana, who shuffled backwards, trapped against the elevator wall. She searched her eyes for any signs of change, but was surprised by the lack of it.

“I’m fine, thank you.” Sana maintained her composure, pushing Nayeon’s shoulder back to gain some space between the two of them.

Why was Nayeon back to being infuriating again? Sana did not like the change at all. It was like a complete turnaround from their working relationship earlier – all because she’d asked Nayeon a simple question? It didn’t make sense to her. Why was everything thrown out of the window; their progress and their bonding? She was extremely confused. And now, they were going to be in a room together until they finish their project.

Sana was not looking forward to the next few days.

The duo walked out of the elevator, awkwardly not trying to bump into each other. Nayeon moved forward first, searching for their room and attempting to slide her card through to open it. Sana had to stifle a laugh as Nayeon’s frustration was evident on her face upon failing to get it to open. With the way she was slamming the card through, it was no surprise it wasn’t working.

“Sometimes, being gentle is the better option.” Sana snickered, pushing her card through slowly and hearing the soft buzz from the door opening.

Nayeon blushed in embarrassment over her failure to open the door, but followed Sana inside, placing her bag by the wooden wardrobe inside.

Both of them were clearly taken off guard by the beauty of the scenery that was visible from the balcony of the room.

“Now I feel like going for a swim.” Nayeon gasped as she looked upon the beachside.

“So, you’re sleeping on the couch?” Sana pointed towards the red sofa that looked way too small to fit a sleeping person.

“Why me? YOU sleep on the couch!” Nayeon turned to face Sana.

“Why should I?” Sana argued.

“Because I saved you yesterday.” Nayeon brought up.

“I didn’t need saving – I have no idea what you’re talking about.” Sana denied. “Which means, you’re sleeping on the couch.”

“Tzuyu would’ve butchered you.” Nayeon crossed her arms to intimidate Sana.

“No, she wouldn’t.”

“Yes, she would.”

“No.”

“Yes.”

“Just give up.”

“No.”

“If you tell me why you supposedly saved me yesterday, you can take the bed.” Sana suggested.

“… You can take the bed. I’ll take the couch.” Nayeon accepted defeat.

“Oh, we’re doing the avoiding thing again?” Sana chuckled.

“I don’t have a reason. I just didn’t want you to be hurt. Can we please, just drop it.” Nayeon groaned.

“Really?”

“Yes, really. I’ll still take the couch.” Nayeon jumped on it, resting her head against the arm.

 “You can’t possibly sleep on the couch. It’s tiny.” Sana accepted Nayeon’s change of topic.

“Do you have any other option? Because I’m not sleeping on the floor.” Nayeon asked.

“…”

“That’s what I thought. The only other option is to share the bed.”

“There’s no way I’m sharing a bed with you.” Sana denied.

“It’ll just be for a few nights. Unless you want to sleep on the couch instead?” Nayeon suggested.

“You’re the one who said you’d sleep on the couch.” Sana argued.

“And you’re the one who said I won’t fit. If I don’t fit, you won’t fit either. So, our only solution is to sleep on one bed.” Nayeon rationalised.

Sana kept quiet as she considered what Nayeon had said. It was true that neither of them would fit. After all, the two of them were about the same height. If one of them wouldn’t fit, the other one wouldn’t either.

“What’s so bad about sleeping on one bed? It’s not like we’re doing anything else. Out of the whole day, it’s just eight hours.” Nayeon further explained.

“I want a pillow barrier in the middle.” Sana grumbled, giving up.

“And the one you need to cuddle?” Nayeon teased, making Sana blush.

“What the hell Nayeon! Have you been watching me sleep?” Sana growled.

“No, I just came in our dorm late one night and saw you cuddling a Shiba Inu plush.” Nayeon shrugged.

At this stage, Sana was now crimson red due to embarrassment. “That was a present!”

“Hey, I’m not complaining about your choices on cuddling pillows. It’s completely fine. The little fellow is really adorable.” Nayeon raised her arms up in defence.

“Well, I didn’t get to bring him. I forgot.” Sana huffed, pouting as she looked away. “I guess, a pillow will have to do this time, unfortunately.”

“So, sleeping on one bed is fine? Just in case you change your mind later.” Nayeon asked again.

Sana shot a glare towards Nayeon at her accusation. She’d wasn’t a person who was indecisive or someone who went back on their words.

“Yes. It’s fine. Like I said, there needs to be a barrier. From what I know, you’re the one who might change your mind later, not me.” Sana grumbled. “It took you so long to give me a proper answer to a question that I asked you last night.”

“Hey, it was only because I knew the answer I had wouldn’t be enough. How believable was my reasoning, the first time I said it? You didn’t even respond!” Nayeon clarified.

“Oh, whatever. Just, don’t cross the barrier at night. That’s all I ask.” Sana walked to their bed.

“I’m not the one who’ll be crossing the barrier!” Nayeon shouted back, offended by the mere suggestion.

She wasn’t the one who moved around in her sleep.

That was Sana.