[you feel the same way?]

The Red Tape

Nayeon knew things were going to be awkward way beforehand. She considered it before they kissed. She considered it as soon as Sana had proclaimed that she wanted to be Romeo. And, it was clear as day now, that it was not only awkward, but filled with tension.

When the duo returned back to their dorm room, they’d completely avoided talking to each other, only making conversation if they accidentally bumped into each other. Maybe it was because they were more aware of each other, but there was a lot more of colliding into each other, which led to both of them being a blushing mess.

While Nayeon was focused on their awkwardness, Sana was feeling extremely shy and overwhelmed with her newly found feelings. Every time she was around her roommate, she barely managed to utter a sentence because all she remembered was the way she kissed her, back when they’d practiced for the Romeo and Juliet script. She couldn’t even look her in the eyes; but at least Sana felt a sense of relief knowing Nayeon was going through the same thing.

The more she observed her, the more Sana saw the lies that were laced in her friend’s accusations. Though, Sana had yet to see Nayeon pursue anyone and she was honestly extremely curious for the reason.

Nayeon was gorgeous.

Like, jaw-dropping, heart-racing, butterfly inducing gorgeous.

It made Sana feel a little bit self-conscious, if she were to be honest. Sure, Nayeon had complimented her that had left her speechless, but Sana couldn’t really help herself.

“Hey, I’m going to go out for a while.” Nayeon announced all of a sudden, leaving Sana behind in the quietness of their empty dorm room.

Sana looked at the door for a few more moments, grumbling about the sudden disappearance but flopping back on to her bed. She took her freedom to rest her mind which has been going in overdrive ever since they’d returned. Actually, she really could do with a talk with Mina but that would require her to get out of bed and she was way too comfortable–

Someone knocked on the door and Sana groaned loudly. She was awfully comfortable right now, she didn’t want to leave the bed. The knocking got more persistent and Sana’s irritation grew as she stomped towards the door, swinging it open and ready to give the person hell, only to see Nayeon standing on the other side.

Great.

Sana was once again, speechless and a gay mess.

Why? Well, it seemed like Nayeon was in a rush as she stood at the door, hair slightly ruffled, running her tongue across her bottom lip.

“Nayeon?” Sana frowned as Nayeon attempted to catch her breath, holding the side of the door.

“You…” Nayeon mumbled.

Sana tilted her head, still confused with what Nayeon was trying to get across to her. She left in a hurry, but she returned just as fast. Did that mean she was just trying to run away from Sana’s presence?

“Do you have any idea how tortured I’ve been ever since we’ve come back here?” Nayeon huffed, leaning closer towards Sana, who shuffled back in reflex. “I can’t even sleep without thinking about everything that happened. You invaded my mind so much, you’re all I even think about.” She grumbled.

“H-huh?” Sana stuttered, gripping the edge of the counter. She was feeling overwhelmed with the sudden decreased distance between them, breathing increasing in pace as Nayeon’s gaze on her stripped it away from her.

“You think I haven’t noticed it either? The way you look at me? The way you’ve been looking at me when you think I’m not looking? Or, the way you blush when you realise my eyes are on you? It’s not hard to miss.” Nayeon continued to inch closer to Sana, resting her arms on her waist.

“You feel the same way?” Sana’s searched Nayeon’s eyes for the answer she was looking to hear. She saw the playful glint in her eyes and for a moment, Sana might have doubted Nayeon’s intentions since she walked through the door of their dorm room.

“Do you think I’d do this if I didn’t?” Nayeon asked sincerely, cupping Sana’s right cheek with her left hand, brushing her thumb across her cheekbones. The progress of her worries was momentarily halted with her words.

Sana’s breath hitched as Nayeon slid her hand down to the base of her neck, massaging softly. A groan escaped her lips at the feel and she opened her eyes when she heard a chuckle leave Nayeon’s lips. There it was again. That look in her eyes like she was playing with Sana’s heart. Like, she was going to crush it. But Sana pushed it away, assuming that she was letting her friend’s words cloud her mind again.

“Can I kiss you, Sana?” Nayeon’s husky voice brought Sana out of her reverie.

Sana blushed, closing her eyes as Nayeon moved to close the distance between them.

However, instead of receiving the kiss that she was expecting, she held her reddening cheeks.

“Ouch!” Sana screamed in pain.

“What the hell are you doing?” Mina shouted at her best friend.

Mina?

“Mina!?” Sana squealed, standing up straight while being on the receiving end of Mina’s deadly glare.

“Are you out of your mind? Or maybe are you sick?” Mina furrowed her eyebrows, checking Sana’s temperature by resting her palm against her forehead.

“I’m fine!” Sana shook her head, pulling Mina’s hand away and making her sit beside her. God, that was embarrassing. Had she really just imagined kissing Nayeon? She’d made up and entire scenario about her roommate and herself, oh dear.

The red on her cheeks darkened as she thought of what had just happened. She just wanted to crawl into a ball and hide. And Sana knew that she wasn’t going to get out of talking about it with Mina either, as she smirked at Sana’s reaction to her.

“Mmm. I think there’s a lot of talking we both need to do.” Mina chuckled, making Sana whine.

---

When Nayeon had left her dorm room in a hurry, she wasted no time rushing to Momo’s room. It was just way too tense staying around Sana at the moment and Nayeon was scared. She was incredibly scared that she would do something she’d regret (like kiss her) and she couldn’t risk doing that. So, to avoid that possibility, she decided to visit her best friend and maybe eat out, get some of her worries out to her because bottling it in was doing her no good.

Knocking on Momo’s room door, Nayeon received no response, so she simply assumed that she’d fallen asleep instead. Of course, she’d been given a room key. Both herself and Sana had one, but they really never had to use it because one of the two were in there. And, usually Nayeon messaged beforehand so Momo was aware she was arriving. The situation was dire and Nayeon had forgotten.

Turning the key in the lock, she walked inside the room, severely caught off guard by the sight before her. Nayeon really wasn’t expecting to walk in on Mina sitting on Momo’s lap, kissing her like her life depended on it.

When had that even happened? Last she knew, Momo was still pining over Mina like a lost puppy. She cleared , hoping to catch the attention of either of the two girls who still had yet to be aware of Nayeon’s presence in the room.

She saw the panic flash across Momo’s eyes as she finally noticed Nayeon, almost pushing Mina off her lap as a reflex. Mina, who was clearly taken aback by Momo pulling back from the kiss, was about to question her, deciding to follow her girlfriend’s gaze. Mina blushed profusely, hiding her face in the crook of Momo’s neck as she was held against her tightly.

“Do you not know how to knock?!” Momo growled at her best friend as she almost had a seizure upon seeing someone walk in on her and Mina. She threw a shoe at Nayeon, who managed to duck in time.

“For your information, I did knock. It’s not my fault you didn’t hear me because you were… doing whatever you were doing.” Nayeon scowled.

She almost snickered as she saw Momo’s puppy eyes that she was giving Mina, wishing for her to stay as she moved off Momo’s lap.

“I’ll go visit Sana. You guys need to talk. I think I should probably tell her we’re dating too.” Mina chuckled, placing a kiss on Momo’s cheek as she sulked.

“Sorry about that.” Mina apologised to Nayeon as she walked towards the door.

“Ah, nothing to apologise for. I’m sorry for ruining your night together.” Nayeon awkwardly responded.

“It was a good thing. Hopefully, whatever is causing you trouble can be settled soon.” Mina teased Nayeon, who was successfully shy.

As Mina left, Nayeon sighed, jumping on the couch. “You guys didn’t…?”

“Not yet, jesus!” Momo shouted, smacking Nayeon’s head with a pillow.

“So, how long has that been going on for?” Nayeon asked, grabbing a bag of chips from the table.

“A week, not that you came to talk to me about my love life. What’s going on with you and Sana?” Momo retorted.

“I think I’m screwed.” Nayeon sighed heavily. “All that effort over the last month of school, literally went down the drain Momo. And it’s all because of being roommates and acting together and having to kiss her because it was part of the damn script.”

“Wait, you kissed?!” Momo smacked her friend’s arm. “Why was I not told?”

Nayeon raised an eyebrow at her best friend. As if she was told of Momo and Mina’s relationship. If she hadn’t walked in on the two of them, god knows when she’d be told.

“Alright. Okay. So, you caught the feelings.” Momo clarified.

“I caught the feelings.” Nayeon groaned, hiding her face in her hands. “And you already know she hated me in high school. I don’t know what to do about it. I can’t act on them. Even if it feels like she might return my feelings, it seems like it’s impossible. I don’t know what to do. We’re so awkward. There’s endless tension between us. We can’t even hold a conversation anymore.”

“Do you think keeping your feelings locked away, will help? Obviously, there’s something brewing between you two. We saw it as soon as you moved in. Would you rather lose another possibility of getting together with Sana after everything you went through in school? This is your chance. If you don’t want to tell her directly, try to hint at it. See if she picks up on it. Nayeon. How long are you going to run away from your feelings? How long are you not going to prioritise yourself first? Maybe the first time, things didn’t go well. Maybe it wasn’t meant to be, then. But now, you have a golden chance. You are purposely possibly letting go of this opportunity resting in your hands. Are you going to be okay with that?” Momo advised, wishing for her to get the point she was trying to get across.

Nayeon sighed heavily as she thought about everything Momo had said. It was a good chance for her to make a move. She had to stop thinking of the ‘what ifs’ and do something about her feelings instead. She looked up to Momo, seeing her watch her with curiosity.

For a moment, she closed her eyes.

She thought about a possibility.

The possibility.

Would Sana be happy, if she did say she reciprocated her feelings?

Sana was worth it. Nayeon knew that, at least.

“I’ll do it. I’ll confess.” Nayeon nodded, earning herself an encouraging hug from Momo.

“You can do it. I know you can.” Momo smiled widely, making Momo smile too.

Her phone buzzed beside her, along with Momo’s.

An incoming call from her father.

Nayeon frowned as she answered her father’s phone call.

“Sweetie? Are you there?”

“Dad? Is everything okay?”

“…”

“Dad?”

“Sweetie, mom’s been in an accident.”