[too cute to look angry]

The Red Tape

Sana woke up to an empty bed in the morning, feeling a little too chilly because of the low temperature of the air conditioning. Had she slept in?

She rummaged around for her glasses before reaching over to pick up her phone to check the time. It was only seven in the morning, why was Nayeon not in the room?

As if someone had heard her questions, Nayeon exited the bathroom, making Sana feel incredibly silly. Had she seriously just been worrying over Nayeon’s presence? She refused to make eye contact with her roommate, trying to cover herself with her blanket, only to hear Nayeon chuckle.

“What? You didn’t have a good sleep cuddling me like a pillow?” Nayeon teased.

If Sana had woken up when Nayeon had, she’d have seen that they were a tangled mess – their legs were intertwined, her head was tucked against Nayeon’s neck, arms were wrapped around each other’s waists. Nayeon had bolted out of the bed when she’d opened her eyes, feeling way too overwhelmed yet again because of her roommate. As if the night before wasn’t enough, where it took her ages to fall asleep, she had to wake up that way as well.

“Me? Cuddling you?” Sana questioned, feeling embarrassed just by the mentioning of such an incident.

“Yes. Like a koala.” Nayeon shook her head, smile still gracing her lips.

“I’m sorry… it’s just–”

“You don’t have your pillow, I know.” Nayeon teased.

Sana huffed in annoyance, throwing her pillow at Nayeon, hitting her square in the face. She was going to be a tomato all day if Nayeon didn’t stop her teasing. Nayeon raised an eyebrow at her, smiling. She felt so nervous being under Nayeon’s gaze, especially when she smiled softly. Sana was unaware of its meaning; sincere or plotting her revenge?

“You asked for it.” Nayeon muttered, throwing the pillow she’d hidden behind her back.

Sana squealed as she was hit in the head, glaring at Nayeon before entangling herself out of the bed sheets. She prepared a pillow in her hand, ready to fire it at Nayeon, only to realise she had two in her hand.

“Hey, that’s cheating!” Sana argued, pointing to the extra pillows.

“We didn’t even establish any rules.” Nayeon stuck out her tongue, changing her stance to throw her pillow.

Having the momentary advantage of just talking to Sana and distracting her, Nayeon threw the first pillow without any hesitation, landing perfectly on Sana’s face. But before she could stop and take a second to laugh, Sana had chased after her.

The duo looked like cat and mouse as they ran around the room, Sana’s squeals making Nayeon laugh when she missed her shot.

“Woah!” Nayeon gasped as she slipped on the edge of the blanket of the bed, sending her tumbling down.

Was she dead? Why did everything feel so heavy, oh my god. Her back was broken, right?

“See, this is why you don’t pick a fight you can’t win.” Sana’s voice sounded so much louder than Nayeon expected.

“Wha–?” Nayeon opened her eyes, seeing Sana’s face right in front of her. Was she trying to look mad? She looked like a cute squirrel with her cheeks puffed up. She couldn’t stop herself from laughing at Sana.

“Wow, are you seriously laughing at me?” Sana growled, making Nayeon laugh harder.

“I’m sorry, but you look too cute to look angry.” Nayeon complimented.

Sana blushed, looking away. Nayeon had no filter anymore, did she? “Did you hit your head really hard?”

“Maybe. But also, I’m having a little bit of a struggle breathing so–”

“Oh, right.” Sana scrambled off Nayeon, offering her hand to help her stand up.

“So – do you want to go out for breakfast? There’s another long day ahead.” Nayeon cleared as she stood up.

“Huh? Oh right. The filming for the last scenes. I’ll just go washup and I’ll be right out.” Sana smiled, heading towards the bathroom.

Nayeon let out a thankful sigh, getting a chance to calm her wild heart. She thought she was doing okay with keeping her feelings at bay but then Sana had to just tumble into her arms like that and everything got thrown out of the window. She couldn’t help the compliment that rolled off her tongue like it was something she was completely fluent in. She really wasn’t fluent in anything related to Sana. Nayeon never had the chance to get to know her like she had now. Becoming roommates might have been a big problem at the start. She didn’t know if things were worse now, with her heart peeking out of her sleeve, or if it was better, for the two of them and their budding relationship.

---

With Nayeon shooting her own final individual scenes first, Sana had the chance to calm herself down after everything that had conspired over the past few days.

Jihyo was right.

Sana was jealous.

Sana was mad.

She wanted to pull Lena far away from Nayeon, where she couldn’t get her hands on her. Sana knew Nayeon was just being friendly but it annoyed her. It annoyed her that Nayeon was busy making someone else laugh, flirting with them and joking around like it was in her nature.

Sana hated the feeling in her stomach. She hated how she reacted to Nayeon’s compliment this morning. She hated how Nayeon always made her blush with her sincerity. She hated everything Nayeon made her feel.

God, she didn’t want these feelings. She really wanted to continue hating Nayeon because it was easier. So much easier than what she was feeling right now.

But how can she do that when Nayeon is so amazing and kind? She was always smiling (other than the times that Sana had made her mad) and never hesitated to help and it made Sana feel like she was the worse person alive.

Nayeon didn’t deserve hate, she didn’t deserve any of what Sana had given her the entire high school year, and when they’d become roommates. She’d adhered to Sana’s wishes of using the red tape and respected her boundaries. She’d protected her from bullies, made her eat when she was hungry. Nayeon had only ever been good to her, the entire time. Sure, the pranks were a little bad, but that had also turned Sana into the bad roommate. She was the one who ruined Nayeon’s assignment.

The reason for her behaviour was justified, in her opinion. Sana’s friend had told her than Nayeon was manipulative and toxic and heartless and every bad word that she could think of. She had said that Nayeon rejected her confession outright and never even gave her time to talk – but after knowing Nayeon, she couldn’t even believe her friend’s words.

What if Sana spent her time in high school, hating Nayeon for something that didn’t even happen? What if she was swayed by her friend because she was just jealous she couldn’t date Nayeon? Sana saw her friend hurt, so she hurt too. She said hurtful things to Nayeon and it was all coming back to her at once.

She felt sick thinking of such a possibility. Sana had been scolded by Mina once, for being way too gullible. The more she knew Nayeon, the more she thought about how wrong her friend’s words were. She never saw Nayeon’s manipulative and toxic nature. She’d been anything but heartless the entire time they’d been roommates despite Sana’s continuous harsh words and actions.

Now that she considered it, if anyone fit such descriptions as her friend had depicted Nayeon as, it was Sana’s friend, herself. Someone who manipulated her into believing that Nayeon was the most terrible person to walk on this earth. She’d been stupid, so stupid to believe in her friend without thinking it through. She’d followed her, like a blind sheep and now she had no idea if she could reverse the hurt she’d conflicted on Nayeon.

She convinced herself that she hated Nayeon all this time, from their high school years to now, but taking everything into consideration, it definitely wasn’t hate. It was something she didn’t want to acknowledge.

Sana looked up, seeing Nayeon laugh alongside Lena as Jihyo set up the camera for another take. The feeling of hatred was filling up in her stomach again. Hatred? Was it that? No, it wasn’t. Sana fisted her hand as Nayeon continued talking to Lena.

But then, Nayeon turned to Sana, stopping her conversation with Lena.

She gave her the biggest smile.

And Sana’s heart stuttered in her chest.

It was never hatred.

Sana was falling.

---

With all individual scenes shot for the script, there was only the final kiss to be filmed before they wrapped up with everything and moved on to editing.

Sana and Nayeon were both extremely nervous all over again. They practiced, yes, but this could take a lot more than one take if they didn’t get it right in one shot. Which meant… a lot of kissing. Not to forget that Sana had to be the bold one between them since she was Romeo. Nayeon was the one in lead last night, Sana had to be upfront about the kiss today.

Jihyo arrived by Sana’s side, scaring her in the process.

“Is Nayeon done?” Sana mumbled.

“Mhmm. She’s waiting for you inside.” Jihyo smiled, indicating to the room they turned into the party event.

Really, Sana thought she looked hilarious in the knight inspired costume, but her opposition was quickly shot down by both Lena and Jihyo.

“You look good, I swear.” Jihyo comforted, leading her forward into the hall.

Sana froze in her spot, feeling worried all over again.

“Let me just tell you this. It might help if you express your true feelings.” Jihyo encouraged, putting a smile to Sana’s face.

Sana took a deep breath before walking in through the wooden doors of the hall. She was left speechless, however, upon the sight on Nayeon, who stood with her back to Sana.

From her white wings, to the vines that were wound in her hair, to the matching white dress that reached just above her ankles – and when she turned around, there was that stutter in Sana’s chest again. The one she couldn’t control as she neared Nayeon, quickening in pace instead of slowing down.

In the back, she heard Jihyo command; the shooting had begun.

“Ay, pilgrim, lips that they must use in prayer.” Nayeon backed away as Sana moved forward.

“Well then, dear saint, let lips do what hands do; they pray grant thou, lest faith turn into despair.” Sana proclaimed, leaning forward and brushing her lips against Nayeon’s.

She felt Nayeon stop for a second, taken aback by the touch but she resumed her role just as fast, pulling back with a teasing smirk. She stared at Sana with a sultry gaze, effectively catching her off guard.

“Saints do not move, though grant for prayers’ sake.” Nayeon continued, reaching the elevator.

“Then… move not, while my prayers’ effect I take.” Sana whispered, leaning forward and kissing Nayeon.

Sana didn’t flinch or hesitate this time, taking charge and pulling Nayeon closer by her waist. Nayeon pushed them into the elevator, wrapping her arms around Sana’s neck. They parted for a second, Sana was aware she had to say something but in the heat of the moment, she’d forgotten, diving back into the kiss.

It felt nice, kissing Nayeon.

It felt warm, it felt like home.

As she pulled back when Jihyo announced for the end of the scene, Sana looked to Nayeon, realising the weight of her situation.

The increasing heartbeat, the jealousy, the blushing – everything that had conspired. It all made sense to her now. Jihyo had pointed it out and Sana had thought she figured it when she thought about it earlier. But right now, as Nayeon stood in her arms, it wasn’t what she thought it was.

Did she say she was falling?

She’d already fallen.