[i'm sure you're happy]

The Red Tape

While Sana and Nayeon were having a war of their own, Momo and Mina were having their own crisis. Mina was consistently avoiding Momo with every chance that she had, which was heavily affecting Momo as a result.

Mina’s plan was that avoiding would mean less interactions and less interactions would mean less heart problems. She hadn’t considered that it could affect Momo. Maybe it was a little bit selfish but what else was she meant to do? Being around Momo just made her irrational and more awkward than ever because she spent more time ogling the girl than talking. Do you really blame her for not wanting to make a fool out of herself in front of her crush?

Usually welcomed by the sight of Momo on their couch, Mina walked into the dorm to see it empty. Or, what she thought was empty.

Momo was huddled in her bed, blankets covering her from head to toe. Seeing that she was asleep, Mina let her be, pulling out her laptop and working on an assignment. An hour into her work, she heard whimpering coming from Momo and Mina frowned, thinking that Momo was probably having a bad dream.

She approached her roommate, gently shaking her to wake her up. “Momo?”

Mina received no answer as Momo simply shrugged her hand off her. She had an unsettling feeling in her stomach. She didn’t want to pull the covers of the bed down, but she was also worried about Momo.

Stuck on what to do, she decided to risk it, pulling off Momo’s blankets and gasping. She was shivering terribly under, eyes shut tightly.

“Momo?!” Mina panicked, placing the back of her palm against her forehead. She pulled away quickly – it felt like she touched fire. “Why the hell have you been going to classes if you’re this sick?” She scolded.

Momo had the energy to chuckle and Mina would’ve slapped her if she wasn’t sick.

“This is nice.” Momo mumbled.

Mina was rendered speechless at Momo’s words. Who thinks being sick is nice? “Are you out of your mind? Maybe it’s the lack of sleep.”

“No. I mean, you not avoiding me.” Momo hoarsely spoke.

“What – I haven’t.” Mina tried to deny.

“Please. I know it.” Momo shook her head, trying to grab the blankets and cover herself again.

“Firstly, you’re not getting back in bed. You’re sick, get out of bed and go shower. And then you’re going to eat.” Mina demanded, holding onto the blankets.

“I just need rest.” Momo groaned.

“You need rest along with food and fluids. Which you’ve had none of. Get up.” Mina sighed, giving Momo her hand to sit up. She handed her an unopened bottle of water, making her drink more than a few sips.

“There’s no food.” Momo pointed out.

“I’ll make something. You just go shower and wash up please.” Mina sighed, helping Momo out of the bed. “Do you need me to help you shower?”

Momo blushed profusely at the suggestion, shaking her head immediately as Mina chuckled at her reaction.

“Alright. Go now. I’ll make something simple for you when you get out.” Mina nodded, basically pushing Momo inside the bathroom.

As soon as the door shut, Mina called up her mother, asking her for a recipe she could make quickly. Of course, she was teased endlessly about it first and Mina was glad that her mother couldn’t see how deeply she was blushing at what she was implying.

“Ma, just tell me something quickly. If it’s Japanese, it can work because my roommate is Japanese too.” Mina whined.

“Alright sweetie. I’m sure she’s beautiful if she has you cooking for her.” Her mother teased. After hearing another whine from Mina, she laughed, finally giving her daughter a simple recipe her own mother had taught her.

“Thanks Ma! Love you!” Mina farewelled, ending the call.

By the time Momo was done with her shower, Mina was finishing off her cooking. Momo froze upon the sight in front of her. Mina stood with her tied up in a ponytail and an apron tied around her waist. It was clear that she was concentrating deeply, tongue sticking out of as she scooped out the deliciously smelling soup into two bowls.

“Momo – oh, you’re done. Come sit. Finish the soup, I’ll get your medicine.” Mina pointed to the table.

Mina was about to walk away but Momo gripped her wrist, pulling her back down. “You eat too. Unless you don’t want to eat the soup for sick people.”

Contemplating for a moment, Mina nodded, sitting next to Momo who was now grinning like a fool. She couldn’t complain about the treatment – she was getting pampered by Mina, really.

“Thank you.” Momo ducked her head as she blushed. Sure, she still felt like she was going to collapse if she hit the bed, but it was a lot better than before and Mina was to thank for that.

“… I’m sorry too. You were right about me avoiding you.” Mina mumbled. “I was just having a difficult time being around you.”

Momo was caught off-guard by Mina’s confession, not expecting to hear it. “Uh, I’m sorry you felt like that around me. I must have overstepped my boundaries.”

“No! It’s not that!” Mina was quick to deny. “There’s an explanation…”

---

Nayeon was regretting her actions. She really was. She never thought that Sana would be true to her words and fight back as much as Nayeon. For each thing Nayeon did to annoy Sana, she responded to it twice as badly and it affected Nayeon immensely.

Like the fact that Nayeon used the entire washing line for her clothing. In return, Sana would eat all of Nayeon’s snacks.

That may not sound like it’s equivalent, but to Nayeon, it was. Her snacks means more to her than her life – especially because she went out of her way to buy them from her favourite grocery shop. And Sana taking them, not because she liked them, but because she wanted revenge, left a salty aftertaste in her own mouth. Saltier than her favourite chips. She didn’t know how Sana knew about her love for her snacks, but Nayeon was furious with how she figured it out.

That was one thing; this whole experience opened Nayeon’s eyes. Sana truly was one of the top pranksters to exist.

For every dirty sock that Nayeon threw over to her side, Sana returned the action with leaving toothpaste filled Oreos on the counter. And come on – don’t judge Nayeon for that. If you see Oreos on the counter, wouldn’t you be tempted to eat it? Especially if you’ve just had a long day at college. You really can’t blame Nayeon.

And also, for leaving bowls in the sink on Sana’s side, Sana left the toilet paper roll empty in their bathroom – meaning that Nayeon had to do the walk of shame to grab one from their cupboard outside their room.

There’s also been the ice filled ice-cream tub – which Nayeon wanted to eat after a bad exam. There was also the caramelised apple that Sana offered, which was actually an onion – Nayeon regretted that one the most because she had no idea what made her trust Sana to offer her food.

And the most recent one was waking Nayeon up with a bloody airhorn that made her fall off the bed. She had a golf ball sized bruise on her ribs from banging onto the corner of her bedside cabinet.

It had gone from simply crossing the red tape, to pranking each other and Nayeon had actually been defeated. She couldn’t believe that she’d been beaten – by her satanic roommate. And, she had no more ideas of what she could do anymore either. Her stupidity cost her more than she expected.

Walking back to her dorm, Nayeon had no thought of crossing the red tape anymore. Not that she didn’t want to do something, it was because she had a deadline for the night that she needed to focus on, rather than waste it trying to prank Sana.

Thankfully, her roommate wasn’t in the room when Nayeon walked in. She headed straight for her computer, throwing her bag down and getting started on her assignment. This is exactly why you shouldn’t leave assignments to the last day (but still, Nayeon would never really do it earlier).

Nayeon was so deep into her work, that she hadn’t even realised that Sana had arrived back into the dorm. She was eyeing Nayeon with suspicion – seeing that there was nothing mischievous done by the girl. Deciding not to disturb Nayeon, Sana went off to do her readings for the next class instead, not wanting to fall behind on the content for the lessons.

Three long and awkward hours later, Nayeon basically ran out of the dorm, managing to get to the printing room before it closed. With a sigh of relief, Nayeon hugged her assignment, glad she got it done on time. She only had to submit the printed version of the work the next morning before class started. There would be no issue with that anyway so Nayeon could relax for now. Walking back to the dorm, Nayeon contemplated checking up on Momo first, realising she hadn’t talked to her all day but once she had a look at the time, she bolted back into her room, heading to bed.

Unknown to her, Sana was still awake when she returned. She, herself, was formulating a final plan for a prank on Nayeon. After this, there wasn’t going to be anymore. Nayeon had stopped hers, so it was only fair that Sana did the same… after tonight. She chuckled to herself as she went through with her prank, hoping it would work.

---

When Nayeon’s feet hit the floor in the morning, her sleep was immediately gone from her system. She’d kicked down a glass of water, surrounding about twenty others, that had gone all the way down to her pile of clothes on the floor by her chair.

“No, no, no!” Nayeon panicked, rushing to pick up her assignment papers that she’d left on the floor by her bag.

Sana was watching her with amusement from the kitchen, crossing her arms across her chest as she took a bite of her toast. A laugh escaped her lips and Nayeon turned to glare at her.

“Seriously? I didn’t do anything to you? What the hell did you do that for?” Nayeon glowered.

She struggled to air out the wet papers, looking at the time and realising she only had a few minutes until she was meant to put it through. So, not only had she tipped down water on her assignment, she slept through her alarm which she couldn’t find anywhere.

“Did you take my phone?” Nayeon questioned Sana, who only responded with a shrug of her shoulders.

Nayeon was on the border between crying and getting furious with Sana. This assignment wasn’t just a small one – it was heavily assessed and it could affect her final results. She panicked, not knowing what to do anymore. There was no way she’d be able to get her work in on time with a set of papers like this.

“I can’t believe you. I really can’t believe you. I did nothing. And yet you still acted like this.” Nayeon muttered over and over again, sitting on her bed with her head in her hands.

Sana stopped eating upon the sight, walking towards Nayeon instead. Was she crying? Her shoulders were shaking. She glanced over at the wet papers next to Nayeon, gasping when she realised her mistake. Guilt immediately ate at her as she realised the weight of the situation. Sana stood silently, knowing no amount of apologies could fix the situation.

“I’m sure you’re happy.” Nayeon growled, storming out the room.

No, Sana was not.

She could have possibly, single-handedly, caused Nayeon to fail this subject.

And, if she failed, not only would she be repeating a year, she’d be subject to harsh scrutiny from Board of Arts – who would be watching her for the rest of her studies.

She would fix this.

She had to.