Steps

Coffee
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jeongyeon could hear a faint scream; she never knows if it's near her or not, it probably is. Blood dripping, rushed thoughts in earlier hours, her clothes ripped and she was trying to reach an escape, knowing she couldn't. Hope never dies, yet, she struggled and felt useless, ready to give up as she always did... but it was different, as if something changed, and now instead of the usual darkness she could see a bright light bringing her closer, taking her out of there, from facing death all over again, and securing her on a safe place. Sweating, Jeongyeon woke up after that horrendous dream, the same one she had many nights before and followed her when she least expected, always about the night she changed the most. Nevertheless...Instead of dropping into tears as she usually did, she shifted to her side, thinking, some dreams we can't forget, remembering was not that bad when she tried to focus in the good memories and the warm feeling in the end of the dream was still with her, protecting, she wonders what it is.

It's said some times that our dreams reflect our reality, but if we can realize about how absurd our thoughts are when we fall asleep we think that it's ridiculous, right? But think about... Maybe the weird things in our subconscious only crawl into our mind when we allow too, when we are in our vulnerable sleep. We can seek the truth without realizing, face things we don't want to and end up figuring out about how some little things can affect our lives. For Jeongyeon, that excruciating nightmare reminded her how much she didn't forgive herself for so many reasons, how her consciousness beats her sometimes. It's not getting easier but she can't deny that it's changing, why is it changing? She knows that something is different, she can feel herself changing little by little, being more open and accepting stuff better, thinking less about giving up and seeing hope in the minor of things around her. Pushing back her own thoughts of never being happy, she knew she was wrong because she was happy at that moment, somehow she was and she have been the last days. Doing the most complicated equation that is life, she started to get up still wondering, work will not wait for her so she tried to push that thoughts aside and at least be productive. With her laptop open, she scanned through the pictures after some minutes of distraction, saying to herself that she wasn't looking for anything in particular but the whispers inside her head were telling her things, guiding her to find once again that same photo from the start. She laughed thinking about, and felt relieved because her mind wasn't bothering her anymore, she found what she unconsciously wanted, the picture of the girl that added to the equation, the most complicated line. She smiled looking at it, the warmth once again flooded her and she shivered, she never felt that and it's so foreign the way her heart hurt and burned inside her chest.

"What?" She whispered to no one in particular, she put a hand near her heart and felt how it was beating faster, leaving her concerned, but she looked at the picture and started to get drawn into that sparkling eyes again. Something is off and she finally realized what was making her freak out so suddenly.

', I like her' Jeongyeon thought, closing her laptop and trying to stop her crazy heart for beating, she can feel tears on her eyes for some reason. At least she understood what changed after all, her whole life changed in comparison what was before but at the same time nothing changed, she is still herself with the same job and living at the same apartment even recognizing her own feelings like that. She understood how much adding Jihyo in her life made all of that sound so awkward for her own liking, because she actually wants a change now, but a good one and with that specific girl by her side.

That nightmare wasn't that bad after all, that made her wake up, literally and figuratively, to realize what she was struggling to deal before, how she feels about Jihyo. And now she is sweating even more.

She thought about sleeping again because like that at least she wouldn't be overthinking about it. So, she threw herself on the bed but, sleep didn't come so easily as she expected and going to the living room seemed a good idea just to hang out a bit. Eyeing her clock, she saw that it was almost three am and sighed thinking about how tired she would be later, her place was really nice but sleeping on the couch brings that sensation of awareness that doesn't let anyone really get too comfortable. Her apartment was empty compared with what she was used to, that means that Momo wasn't there again that night and she knows that the girl is with Sana. By the way, Jeongyeon was the person that screamed and hugged both when they told her what happened and that they were cool with each other again, but, always the little things... Jeongyeon asked them what they were now and she was shocked with the silence she received as answer, none of them had the guts to say what they were because they suddenly didn't know what that meant, they only knew they're in love with each other.

"We're figuring out" Sana said and Momo nodded. Jeongyeon thinks that is funny how they both fit each other, and at that sleepless night, she wonders how or when she can be like that with anyone. The truth is she doesn't have to, being herself would be enough.

*************************************

The smell of an invigorating coffee emerged in the air, they both aren't truly fans of the drink but knowing they have to stay awake, it was an obvious choice to stimulate their senses. Momo rolled on the bed; she was really expecting to find Sana there but connected the dots and walked lazily to the kitchen.

"Let's sleep more" Momo whined against Sana's neck when she back hugged her.

"Work" The other simply said.

"I don't want to" Momo tried being cute, seeing her like that, really made Sana almost give up from working at that moment, but it's really important for them to maintain their jobs.

"Don't play cute with me." Sana said, she was trying to concentrate on the easy breakfast she made but the other was enough of a distraction to her.

" We can skip today, I want to be with you" Momo said hugging her tightly and making her stop what she was doing, the other's heart skip a beat, turning around to face her.

"Believe there is no place I want to go more than bed with you but" Momo smirked, Sana got red, she adverted her eyes to elsewhere and felt really embarrassed. Momo chuckled seeing her reaction.

"It's ok, I know what you meant." Momo said placing a kiss on her forehead.

"S-still, I have to work to pay the bills." Sana said getting out of the embrace and heading to eat.

They both ate and Momo got to do her morning routine while Sana cleaned up everything and prepared to work.

"Let's go" Sana said rushing the other pulling her by her arm.

"Wait" Momo said while she finished getting ready. After some minutes, she realized that it was the first time they were going to work as a couple or whatever they are and she kind of freaked out internally, she saw Sana waiting for her near the door and stood nervously staring at the ground, the other noticed the delay and approached her.

"What's wrong?" Sana asked cupping her cheeks. Momo hesitated and stared down even with the other lifting her head.

"It's just... As you know, I'm kind of not used to this and... I want to know what we are and...stuff." Momo said letting her concerns out, always a confident Momo showed in the 'things' she had with other girls, but she felt so vulnerable with Sana and just embraced her own fears, but hey, at least she let it out to the other.

"Hm...We're in love, right? As far as I know we're in a relationship so you're my girlfriend" Sana said smiling, Momo just widened her eyes.

"I'll do my best." She mumbled.

"And I'll be by your side, we will figured how this will work together so you can trust me with your concerns" Sana said and the girl nodded.

"I love you" She completed and gave a quick kiss on her lips.

"I love you too" Momo said hugging her and playing with her hair but, then she cupped Sana's cheeks and started to kiss her right there, she really doesn't lose any more minute without expressing her love for her and that's the way she knows, she was never really good with love confessions or cheesy words like Sana and her hundreds of love novels, but her actions talked louder and they were loving to say their love just looking into each other's eyes. Sana suddenly forgot the hour, Momo didn't want to leave so they kept kissing until they looked at each other and smiled, placing their foreheads together, their fingers intertwined perfectly just to seek comfort. Sana was in her most happy state, she waited for that for so damn long and actually having the girl with her was surreal, thrilling and wonderful, it felt warm every time Momo kissed her, like her wishes became true and she wants to stay like that forever... But her clock advised her that it was time to leave and so, she dragged Momo to their job as usual, even with the childish whines and suddenly acts of her.

*************************************

The morning breeze hit directly into her and it was somewhat cold, regret was what she felt when she left her house that morning. Jihyo could have perhaps just forget a little about buying stuff to eat again and had to leave for the convenience store to, at least, eat breakfast. It is not as if her agenda was full or she had a billion of things to do, but putting her life finally together wasn't that easy and her usual concerns were not related with house tasks anyways, so forgetting was forgivable for them, referring to Nayeon and Mina. Sadly, it had been almost a month and they had just one more week there, coming back just after graduation would do because time was coming for them to finish and continue with their respective careers.

Mina opened the door for Jihyo when she got back and helped her in bringing the things to the kitchen.

"Where's Nayeon?" Jihyo asked stretching her back.

"Shower" Mina answered starting to make the breakfast while the other just watched, wondering.

"I don't know what I'll do without you two here honestly." Jihyo said giggling and Mina chuckled.

"You will do fine, like you always did." She said still busy.

"Yes, but really, thank you for everything" Jihyo said and Mina smiled to her. At that moment, Nayeon was getting near the kitchen.

"You're welcome." The latter said hugging Jihyo.

"So, have you two decided what you're going to do?" Jihyo asked excitedly.

"About?" Nayeon asked, she had walked to help Mina and all, but ended up being kindly rejected and joined Jihyo on the table.

"Life" Jihyo said and that took Mina's attention. She turned around suddenly to face the two and they looked at her with expectation.

"Actually... I was thinking about something that really called me." Mina said a bit reluctant.

"What?" Nayeon asked expectant.

"You both know how I know to play the cello right? Sometimes... Often. So, I had a couple of meetings with people that also play and you remember when we visited that children's orchestra one time right? It was beautiful. So, I was thinking about following career with my instrument if I can, I want to try an orchestra and I know some people that can help" Mina said finally taking a deep breath. Mina really liked the idea.

"Babe, I am so proud." Nayeon said, getting up and hugging the girl.

Jihyo smiled brightly and cheered the girl.

"Sorry for not pursuing singing like you two, it's just what was in my mind in the last months." Mina said relieved.

"I'm really happy for you, if you like it, just do it and good luck." Jihyo said hugging her as well.

"And how about you?" Jihyo asked to Nayeon when they released the hug.

"First I want to know why you are asking this so suddenly." Nayeon said while Mina also sat to eat and passed them the food.

"I can see right through you Park Jihyo." Nayeon said with a smirk.

"Fine... I was thinking about singing again. Wait, don't freak out yet, I am better, really better, you two listened and I can't wait just sitting down here, even with the karaoke I feel like something is missing" Jihyo said and how she felt tears springing on her eyes.

"That's a huge step but you can handle" Mina said.

"Yeah, I was thinking of auditioning for now and I think this involves the both of us Nayeon" Jihyo said pointing at her friend.

"You can go ahead. I will finish college and search for a company later. Good luck "Nayeon said making thumbs up.

With that they felt like they took a lot of weight of their shoulders and Jihyo thought about someone she wants to tell about that, the same one that actually got her in the path to dream again, so, when she finished her tasks, her first and rushed thought was to ask Jeongyeon out and tell her what was on her mind.

...

"Can we meet?" Jihyo asked already smiling contagiously.

"Sure, where exactly?" Jeongyeon asked holding her happiness at one side and feeling concerned at the same time. Now that she knows, she simply can't forget at let the thought of Jihyo go, that girl is kind of haunting her mind.

"Hm... You know where my apartment is, right? Come here and we can walk to somewhere"

"Ok. See you later then. Bye" Jeongyeon said and hung up, she had to finished her shooting a little faster to be able to go there sooner, she can't be known as the one that arrives late anymore and cause a bad impression. Her helpless and hopeless heart finally found someone to attach to and how they attached so quickly was amazing, what concerns her is how she will be able to deal with her ideas and feelings for the girl, she can't just tell because she isn't brave enough but she certainly knows that she can't just hold it inside of her afraid of one day losing it, losing her. It's her constant fear, not telling her would make her feel like wasting something or not taking the opportunity of happiness like she saw her friends doing for a while, but telling her could make her go away or make her uncomfortable if it ended up in rejection. But nonetheless, seeing Jihyo was good and she will really enjoy it.

************************************

Night came, their jobs ended and, at that time, Momo and Sana were heading to Momo's apartment, but were stop by Jeongyeon leaving right when they got in.

"I will see Jihyo, bye" Jeongyeon quickly said to them and sprinted down with a clear smile. The duo got in, shrugging their shoulders.

"Do you think they will get together?" Sana asked laying on the couch.

"I hope so or I will beat Jeong." Momo said sitting down and placing Sana's head on her lap. They just admired each other like they always did.

"You know, Jeongyeon knew that I like you, actually she discovered without any effort." Sana said pinching the girl's nose playfully.

"Really? I was the only one who didn't know then" Momo face palmed.

"Because you're an idiot"

"So you're an idiot too." Momo said flicking her forehead.

"Why?" Sana said amused.

"Because you also didn't realize that I like you too." Momo said as if she was defending her point.

"Hey, believe me, I liked you even before you gave attention to me so don't even dare to call me an idiot for that" Sana said sticking her tongue.

"...And I'm kind of sorry for that... Just thinking the things you saw and all, I can't be like that anymore and I can't drink because I know a bad side of me shows up." Momo said scratching her neck and looking down.

"You don't have to be sorry, you didn't know"

Sana was amused and impressed, the girl talking about how she feels without hiding anymore and how she was capable of wanting to change was a huge and far step for Momo, rather a jump compared with the girl that always seek drinks and parties.

"You're amazing." Sana said with sparkling eyes like her number one admirer. Momo smiled.

"Thank you" Momo said proudly, although, she still remembers that a minute ago the other said she was an idiot. They decided to watch TV after that, not wanting to wait for Jeongyeon or anything, they just wanted to spend time together like they always did even before what happened, but really they can feel the difference, like the air is lighter and they were smiling more than usual.

...

Finally arriving at time, actually a few minutes before, Jeongyeon counted that as a victory for always being late the times before that. She knocked on the door and Nayeon opened for her.

"She will be ready in a minute, come in" She said leading the girl to the living room. After some minutes, Jihyo appeared and said their goodbyes to take Jeongyeon with her. Mina and Nayeon smiled proudly and high five each other because Jihyo made that move and they are a part of her life so, they felt proud.

"I can't wait to know the details." Nayeon said earning her a light hit on the arm from Mina.

"Leave her, she wouldn't say anything anyways" Mina said making the other frown.

"You're right"

"Yes" Mina said leaving for her room to pick her laptop. When she got back in the living room, she saw Nayeon distracted on her phone and stared at her thinking a bit.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter