Love O2O (Onscreen 2 Offscreen)

Love O2O (Onscreen 2 Offscreen)

 

Life has a funny way of putting everything in its proper place.



 

Just yesterday, I was ready to raise hell.

 


But now, I feel as if I'm floating in heaven.

 


"Laopo..."




I say as we make our way to my car.
 



"Da shen?"

 


She looks up with a smile. I smile back.
 



"I'm so happy."

 

 

Her smile widens as she squeezes my hand.

 

 

 

"I couldn't be happier too."

 

 

 

We walk in comfortable silence, both assured of what each of us meant to one another.

 

 

 

"Do you have filming tomorrow?" I ask as we enter my car.

 

 

 

"Yes and it's quite early too." She yawns.

 

 

 

Too adorable.

 

 

 

"Hao de. I won't hold you up. Get enough rest, my dear wife."

 

 

 

She purses her lips as she tries to hide her smile.

 

 

 

"Drive safe, da shen." She closes the door and gives a cute salute.

 

 

 

I salute back with a wink.

 

 

 

I watch her as she enters her house. Good thing she chose a relatively quiet community or else, we would be paying the price of our little rendezvous.

 

 

 

I start the engine after seeing her get inside safely. I reach for my phone and open it. A barrage of texts comes in as soon I did. I don't bother to check it as I already know who it comes from.

 

 

 

My phone rings loudly and I know, I can no longer avoid.

 

 

 

"Where the hell are you and why weren't you answering my calls?"

 

 

 

Expect nothing less from Jia Shikai.

 

 

 

"I went to Jing Bao's for lunch."

 

 

 

I back my car and make my way out of her neighborhood.

 

 

 

"You should have not turned off your phone."

 

 

 

Why can't I?

 

 

 

"It's my day off, right?"

 

 

 

"Why are you so stubborn, Yang Yang?"

 

 

 

Why are you so controlling, manager?

 

 

 

"Anyway, I called because I have a few projects I want you to look at."

 

 

 

Work, again. Even in my free time, work still manages to come up. 

 

 

 

I sigh and make a turn. "Can't we talk about this tomorrow? I'm tired."

 

 

 

"Alright. Take a good rest. Let's talk tomorrow."

 

 

 

I breathe a sigh of relief as I park the car. I lay back and recall everything that has happened the past 24 hours.

 

 

 

Right. Nothing can burst my bubble.

 

 

 

I grab my phone and take a cute selfie.

 

 

 

 

 

I hope you get a good sleep coz this da shen will be thinking of you all night.

 

 

 

I can't wipe the stupid grin off my face as I send her my selfie.

 

 

 

Well, this furen might look haggard tomorrow seeing as how her da shen will keep her awake all night.

 

 

 

 

 

I laugh as I look at the selfie she sent. She looks so adorable when she pouts.

 

 

 

Damn, this woman knows how to kill a man.

 

 

 

I stare at her picture as I lie in my bed. I can't believe it. What was once a distance dream is now part of my reality.

 

 

 

Shi shi ni, laopo.

 

 

 

You make life worth living again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

There are two reasons a person loses sleep. One is due to overwhelming stress.

 

 

 

While the other is due to overwhelming happiness.

 

 

 

"Xiao Shuang, you'll make it hard for the makeup artist today."

 

 

 

I look at the mirror and notice the big bags under my eyes.

 

 

 

"Gee, Er Xi. Thanks for pointing that out."

 

 

 

I make a face at my friend. I picked up a habit of calling Mao Xiao Tong, Er Xi, her character in our series, Love O2O. I was so used to calling her that during filming that the habit followed me even in real life.

 

 

 

"I'm just being a good bestie, Wei Wei." She says with a teasing smile. "Otherwise, who would point out such a poignant matter other than your truest friend?" She points to herself.

 

 

 

I smile and lean my head on her shoulder. "Shi shi ni, Er Xi-ah."

 

 

 

Around us, the staff smile as they watch us interact. It's actually quite comforting to work with people I trust. It somehow lessens the burden of pressure.

 

 

 

"Have you read our scenes, Shuang?" She asks as she flips her script. "I think it's a bit over the top."

 

 

 

I agree with what she said. I almost laughed when I read the script last night.

 

 

 

She stops at a page and shows it to me. "Can you imagine me saying this to you?"

 

 

 

She clears and face me, her smile fades and is replace with a cold, condescending glare.

 

 

 

"The lowly courtyard peasant doesn't seem to know her place in the palace "

 

 

 

I turn to her, calm and indignant amidst the insult.

 

 

 

"It is the Empress, it seems, who do not know her place. Otherwise, why would she waste her precious breath on a lowly courtyard peasant?"

 

 

 

We stare at each other for awhile before bursting into laughter.

 

 

 

"This is so cheeky!" I admit rather bluntly.

 

 

 

She nods. "The only good thing is I get to slap you." She laughs evilly.

 

 

 

I look at her accusingly.

 

 

 

"Aisht, I truly live in a cold, ruthless world."

 

 

 

We laugh again and somehow, all the stress begins to fade.

 

 

 

Beep.

 

 

 

I check my phone to see who it is.

 

 

 

"Da shen?" She asks, raising her eyebrow. The sneaky fox somehow managed to peek at my phone.

 

 

 

I shield my phone from her. "Privacy please."

 

 

 

"That isn't who I think it is, right?" She asks, unable to hide her excitement.

 

 

 

Should I play dumb? "Huh?"

 

 

 

She squints at me. "You know exactly what I mean, Shuang." She suddenly snaps her fingers. "Oh! He's quite suspicious too."

 

 

 

I look at her, curious. "What do you mean?"

 

 

 

"I'm not sure." She shrugs. "Lately, he's been quite specific about the girl he likes. I mean we all know Liu Yifei is his ideal type, right?"

 

 

 

Hmm... no.

 

 

 

"But the way he describes the girl doesn't seem to fit Liu Yifei at all."

 

 

 

That's because she isn't. I giggle to myself.

 

 

 

"In fact, the girl kinda reminds me of... "

 

 

 

She looks at me oddly.

 

 

 

"... you."

 

 

 

I smile at her knowingly.

 

 

 

"Then there can only be one possibility."

 

 

 

I say with a proud smile.

 

 

 

"The girl is me." I point to myself.

 

 

 

She looks at me for a long time before breaking into laughter.

 

 

 

 

I sigh. What kind of friend do I have?

 

 

 

I'm about to counterattack when her eyes suddenly grow wide. So does everyone on set. I turn to the direction of their gaze to see what the fuss is about.

 

 

 

Oh god, this is not happening.

 

 

 

My breath hitches as I watch him walk towards me. This feels like a scene out of our series. This can't be part of reality.

 

 

 

But he stands next to me, bringing me back to the real world.

 

 

 

"I don't have a schedule this morning so I decided to drop by."

 

 

 

All I can do is nod, my body still numb. I hear my friend, Xiao Tong, gasp beside me along with everyone else on the set.

 

 

 

"What are you doing now?" He asks.

 

 

 

How can he still be so calm when everyone's looking at us?

 

 

 

"We're waiting for our turn." I point to Xiao Tong absent-mindedly.

 

 

 

He only seems to notice my friend now.

 

 

 

"Oh, you're here too, Xiao Tong." He says, smiling at her.

 

 

 

She smiles back. "Ni hao." She waves at him awkwardly. She whispers, "should I leave you two?"

 

 

 

I grab her hand and throw her a pleading look.

 

 

 

Don't leave me, Er Xi.

 

 

 

"You go on with what you're doing. Don't mind me."

 

 

 

How can we not mind you? You show up without warning.

 

 

 

Xiao Tong clears and busies herself with her script. After awhile, she sneaks a glance at me.

 

 

 

TELL. ME. EVERYTHING. LATER.

 

 

 

I nod weakly, making a helpless face. I turn to da shen, amazed at how he can keep a straight face after giving all of us a mini heart attack.

 

 

 

"Why did you come here?" I whisper, trying not to be too close to him.

 

 

 

He bends and whisper back. "Is it wrong to visit my girlfriend?"

 

 

 

I breathe hard to pacify my racing heart.

 

 

 

Calm down, Shuang. It's just him.

 

 

 

"Yang Yang! I told you you don't need to visit me." Tianyu gives me a wink as he hugs him.

 

 

 

Shi shi ni. I mouth to him. Tianyu always finds a way to rescue me.

 

 

 

"I wanted to see you." Da shen says without taking his eyes off mine.

 

 

 

"I'm so touched, ge ge." Tianyu says. "Maybe you and I can have brunch with Shuang later."

 

 

 

I don't think that's a good idea, Tianyu.

 

 

 

"Sounds good." Da shen replies while staring at me.

 

 

 

Is he looking for trouble?

 

 

 

"Xiao Tong, is it okay if we shoot your scene later? There's a problem with your costume." The director informs us. "Let's shoot Yitian and Xiao Shuang's scene for now."

 

 

 

Oh wow. I wonder what scene we'll shoot.

 

 

 

"Let's do the scene by the cave."

 

 

 

I swallow hard.

 

 

 

"That scene already?" My thoughts came out of my mouth.

 

 

 

The director looks at me weirdly. "What's wrong with that?"

 

 

 

Do you want me to get killed, director? I sneak a glance at da shen. He's looking at me curiously.

 

 

 

"Why don't you stay first with Tianyu at the waiting tent? This might take long and you might get bored..."

 

 

 

He stops me mid-sentence.

 

 

 

"I think I'll stay for awhile."

 

 

 

Oh, god. What did I do to deserve such punishment.

 

 

 

"Shuang's right." Tianyu agrees. "Let's go grab something to drink." He starts to pull da shen away.

 

 

 

But he remains immobile.

 

 

 

"Why don't we watch instead? I'm not thirsty anyway."

 

 

 

I shoot a desperate look at Tianyu but he shakes his head in defeat.

 

 

 

Damn, my luck.

 

 

 

"Let's go."

 

 

 

I gulp as I recognize Yitian's voice.

 

 

 

"Oh, you're here, senior Yang Yang." He acknowledges da shen.

 

 

 

"Shi. I'm here to visit- "

 

 

 

"Tianyu." I cut him before he can do further damage. "He's visiting Tianyu."

 

 

 

Yitian nods. "That's nice." He turns to me. "Are you ready?"

 

 

 

Honestly, I don't think I am.

 

 

 

I get up and follow Yitian into the cave. I dare not look at da shen, afraid meeting his gaze will further escalate my descent into insanity.

 

 

 

He'll really cause the death of me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Are you sure you want to do this?"

 

 

 

I hear Tianyu's voice but I ignore him as I focus my attention on the screen. I watch as she stands still, her back against the camera.

 

 

 

"Fine. Go torture yourself."

 

 

 

I try to calm my nerves as she slowly releases the knot of her robe. I feel my body tensing as she slowly reveals her shoulder... then the other one...

 

 

 

I feel like losing it when the fabric slowly slides to reveal her .

 

 

 

"CUT!"

 

 

 

Thank god the director stops or else I would have stormed inside and take her away like a madman.

 

 

 

Yep. This is turning out into a bad idea.

 

 

 

I watch as her assistant quickly puts on the robe to cover her up. So many questions start plaguing ny mind that I think I'm about to lose sanity.

 

 

 

But life is too cruel. I haven't even been given a second to recover when the director speaks again.

 

 

 

"Now, let's do the scene where Xiao Jing will walk slowly towards the Crown Prince."

 

 

 

I watch in horror as the assistant hands her a bikini bottom so thin they might as well be saving fabric.

 

 

 

I march my way to the director.

 

 

 

"Why is she wearing only that?"

 

 

 

The director looks at me blankly.

 

 

 

"We're shooting her from the waist up. She's supposed to be in this scene."

 

 

 

My nerves flare up at what he said.

 

 

 

"What about her top?"

 

 

 

How can they let her do this sleazy scene?

 

 

 

"She has plaster covering her front." The director says, obviously annoyed. "Why are you even here? Aren't you too busy to be part of the cast?"

 

 

 

I try to stop myself from breaking his jaw.

 

 

 

Tianyu pulls me aside but my eyes are too focused on the screen. I try my hardest to remain calm as the filming continues.

 

 

 

But when she slowly placed herself on top of another man, his eyes gazing at hers like a predator to a prey...

 

 

 

My sanity finally left me.