Love O2O (Onscreen 2 Offscreen)

Love O2O (Onscreen 2 Offscreen)

 

 

 

 

 

Do you ever get those days when it seems as if the stars have not aligned? Like everything happens for the sole purpose of pissing you off?

 

 

 

Murphy's Law.

 

 

 

"We have to be careful when picking your next project, Yang. Everyone's disappointed with your movie."

 

 

 

What else is new? I've heard this one a hundred times already.

 

 

 

"Also, we need to do some noise. We need to maintain your status as top star now. I was thinking of a strategy with Song Qian."

 

 

 

"Jing Li, do you really think bringing up my past dating scandal with Qianqian a good idea? I remember she got bashed the last time."

 

 

 

Sometimes, my manager can be ruthless. He can even sacrifice his own talent just to get what he wants.

 

 

 

"Well, we can spin it to make it look as if you have made ammends with her. That way, we can sway some of her fans to your side."

 

 

 

No, I won't go that low. "We both know we're not in good terms. I won't let you use her again to clean up a mess."

 

 

 

"Then what do you want? You'd rather pair up with Zheng Shuang again, huh? I'm sure that will make some noise."

 

 

 

I can already tell what's going on in his mind. "Don't even think of dragging Shuang into this."

 

 

 

With everything happening lately, my head begins to ache. I ignore my manager as he storms out and focus my attention on the TV to let off some steam.

 

 

 

As if on cue, my happy pill appears.

 

 

 

"Today, we are lucky to have here with us one of the most in demand actresses in the industry. Welcome to Hunan TV, Zheng Shuang."

 

 

 

She looks the same as she did when I saw her at Jing's party. I'm glad she's not as skinny as she was when we were filming Love O2O and even happier that she seems to be glowing.

 

 

 

I see that life has been good for you lately, Shuang.

 

 

 

"With the success of your drama with Lee Jong Suk, Jade Lovers, you are set to star in yet another series, this time with fast rising star, Hu Yi Tian. Having done so many dramas in the past,  what can you say is different this time around?"

 

 

 

Hu Yi Tian. My heart constricts upon hearing his name.

 

 

 

"Now that you've said it, the car looks familiar."

 

 

 

I suddenly recall Tian Yu's words the night of the party.

 

 

 

"I think I've seen this. Even the plate number's familiar."

 

 

 

I feel a sting as I remember each word he uttered.

 

 

 

"Where have I seen this... wait! No way... "

 

 

 

I clutch my chest as Tian Yu's words come rushing back to me.

 

 

 

"That's Hu Yi Tian's."

 

 

 

Those four words felt like a million shards of glass tearing into my soul.

 

 

 

"This is quite different from my past roles. Xiao Jing is, how do I put it? A strong, fierce and principled fighter with nothing to lose at first until she meets the Crown Prince, Liu Che."

 

 

 

Xiao Jing? Liu Che?

 

 

 

"I like how her character is so formidable at the beginning. Everyone relies on her. Her whole clan relies on her dependable character but everything changes when she encounters the Crown Prince. She becomes vulnerable, no longer invincible."

 

 

 

I admire her deep understanding of her role. Unlike her past series where it seems that she only accepted because it's a job, this time, it feels as if she had internalized her role so well.

 

 

 

She truly has matured.

 

 

 

"I like the intricacies of how she tries to influence the Crown Prince with good intentions at the beginning, only to find out that she's the key to unlocking his insatiable desire for flesh and power. I'm excited for the viewers to witness her transformation from a powerful influencer of the Crown Prince Liu Che to a struggling woman of Emperor Wu and how she will play a key role in shaping the country."

 

 

 

I manage to smile despite everything. She has always been a deep person, the kind that quietly observes yet deeply understands. It's one of the things that makes a person feel special when around her.

 

 

 

"You said your character is the main reason for unlocking the insatiable desire for flesh of the Crown Prince. Does that mean we can expect some steamy scenes on this series and how will that go about with the strict censorship?"

 

 

 

"Yes, one of the things the drama emphasizes on is the transformation of the innocent and naive Crown Prince Liu Che to the greedy and lustful Emperor Wu of Han. There will definitely be a lot of provocative scenes throughout the series. That's also another thing that's different from my last dramas. This is the first time I'll be having a love scene. I will be tackling a more mature role this time."

 

 

 

I feel my body become numb. I can't believe it. She has always refused love scenes. She was even awkward doing our kissing scenes.

 

 

 

Why now?

 

 

 

Why with him?

 

 

 

"You are known for refusing scenes with provocative themes. What made you change your mind?"

 

 

 

Please don't say it's him.

 

 

 

"I never revealed this to anyone but I've always thought I've been mediocre."

 

 

 

Her words surprise me.

 

 

 

"I've always chosen safe roles in the past. I've never been selective because I didn't want to stand out. I feel as if I've never truly challenged myself."

 

 

 

I watch her as she bravely smiles. Despite feeling down, I can't help but be proud of her.

 

 

 

That's it, Shuang. Be happy from now on.

 

 

 

At least one of us is.

 

 

 

"The Insatiable Beast of Han is based on a popular novel and your character, Xiao Jing, is well-loved. How do you feel taking on this challenge?"

 

 

 

The Insatiable Beast of Han...? I take my phone out as I wait for her answer.

 

 

 

"My nerves are at the edge just thinking about the expectations of those who have read the novel but at the same time, I'm excited. This is a role that I've secretly wanted to take on in the past but was too afraid to. I guess I've plucked enough courage now."

 

 

 

My manager finally picks up my call. "Have you changed your mind already?"

 

 

 

"Why did you refuse that drama?" I ask him, seething with anger.

 

 

 

"What drama?"

 

 

 

"You know what I'm talking about. The Insatiable Beast of Han."

 

 

 

Long pause. "Oh, that."

 

 

 

You better give me a good reason. "Why?"

 

 

 

"The role's too risque for your image."

 

 

 

Bull. "Don't you think it's time I try more challenging characters? It's always the same pretty boy roles."

 

 

 

"That's why we accepted Martial Universe."

 

 

 

"Did you know beforehand that Shuang's going to be involved in that series?"

 

 

 

Silence. "I see you've watched her interview."

 

 

 

"Just answer me."

 

 

 

"She's not good for you."

 

 

 

"Then who is?"

 

 

 

"Whoever your fans want."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

They say that humans are naturally insatiable. A person who seems to have everything on the surface can still be miserable on the inside.

 

 

 

 

"I'm so sorry."

 

 

 

"It's not your fault."

 

 

 

"They're my fans."

 

 

 

"They just love you."

 

 

 

"But it doesn't give them the right to hurt you."

 

 

 

"They're right though."

 

 

 

"What?"

 

 

 

"You shouldn't end up with me."

 

 

 

"What are you saying?"

 

 

 

"I think they want Liu Yi Fei for you."

 

 

 

"But what about what I want?"

 

 

 

I watch as her face fades from the screen. You know what's more frustrating than losing a battle? It's knowing you have enough will to win but the person you're fighting for has already given up.

 

 

 

Can't you have a little faith in me, Shuang?

 

 

 

I look at my phone as it rings. It's Jing.

 

 

 

"What do you want, Jing Bao?"

 

 

 

I go over the script of my potential new drama as I wait for him to speak.

 

 

 

"Let's have lunch tomorrow at my place. It's my extended party."

 

 

 

I mark some parts I have questions on. "I already went to your party. Plus, I want to sleep all day tomorrow."

 

 

 

"Alright, if you say so. Too bad Xiao Shuang said she's coming."

 

 

 

I close my script and smile.

 

 

 

"Hao de. What time do you need me?"

 

 

 

I may come off as a fool but I won't give her up.

 

 

 

As long as there's a chance, even the slightest one, I'll take it.