Love O2O (Onscreen 2 Offscreen)

Love O2O (Onscreen 2 Offscreen)

 

"Reviews are horrible, Yang."

 

 

 

What a way to start my day. Jia Shikai, my manager, delivers the bad news as soon as he walks into my waiting room. I close my eyes and let the make up artist work her magic on me, letting myself relax a bit.

 

 

 

My movie, Once Upon A Time, was just released and well, it seems like it's not the cup of tea of most.

 

 

 

"We all have different tastes."

 

 

 

 

 

One thing I've learned in the industry is that not everything I do will be a hit. So for those that don't, I just let it be.

 

 

 

"That's not it. They say your acting's terrible." He continues. "To quote, 'it's cringe-worthy'."

 

 

 

Netizens surely don't hold back in the bashing department.

 

 

 

"What else?" I prepare myself for an earful.

 

 

 

"Liu Yi Fei's management called. She's not happy with the feedback."

 

 

 

And that's my fault because... ?

 

 

 

"As far as I remember, I'm not the only star in that movie."

 

 

 

Why would they blame me for having ty reviews? If I remember correctly, some netizens said her acting's despicable too.

 

 

 

"She wants us to do some more publicity for the movie."

 

 

 

Again. How many PR have we done so far? We even invited her to attend my birthday even if we're not close.

 

 

 

Even if someone else should have been there.

 

 

 

But what can I do? I'm an actor after all.

 

 

 

"Fine."

 

 

 

"Five minutes 'til we start." The Assistant Floor Manager calls out then turns to me. "Mr. Yang, we need you on set now."

 

 

 

"I've reviewed all the questions she'll ask. Mostly about your new movie and then some personal ones. Give standard answers only, Yang. You know the drill." Jia Shikai says as we walk towards the set.

 

 

 

I nod, being the robot that I am. My manager and I have gone through the standard answers again and again so there's no way for me to screw this up.

 

 

 

I enter the set and sit opposite the interviewer. We exchange formalities and wait for the countdown as usual.

 

 

 

"We'll start in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1!"

 

 

 

"Hello everyone! We're here with one of the hottest actors in the industry." She turns to me and smile. "We're very happy to have you, Yang Yang."

 

 

 

"Thank you for having me."

 

 

 

"You've just released your new film, Once Upon A Time. Are you happy with the result?"

 

 

 

Standard answer number one starts now.

 

 

 

"The whole production and I gave our all for this movie so no matter what the result is, I'm happy."

 

 

 

"You've always been so positive despite negative feedbacks. What motivates you?"

 

 

 

You want the standard answer or the real one?

 

 

 

"The fans, of course. Yang Maos have been there for me from the start. They're the ones who fuel me to go on."

 

 

 

Standard answer number two, done.

 

 

 

"You've said that your co-star, Liu Yi Fei, is your ideal type. What about her did you like the most?"

 

 

 

Hmm, this one's hard. What do I like most about her? Gee, there's just too much. Let's see... there's her diva attitude, her pretentious image and oh, let's not forget her annoying temper.

 

 

 

But yep, standard answer number four.

 

 

 

"She's very hardworking and dedicated to her craft. I think those are things that are worth admiring."

 

 

 

To be fair, she really is a professional.

 

 

 

"Will you say she is someone you want to be your girlfriend?"

 

 

 

That question came out of nowhere. I look over to my manager but he's busy with his phone.

 

 

 

Damn. This hits me from my blindside. Alright. Let's do this.

 

 

 

"I actually like a silly and cute girl."

 

 

 

My answer puts a smile on the interviewer. "A silly and cute girl, huh? Is there someone in your mind right now?"

 

 

 

You know what? Life has a way of bringing back memories that made you smile just when you're feeling down...

 

 

 

"How about you lean your body against his?"

 

 

 

My heart leaped a little. I knew we were just acting like two people in love but having her so close proved to be lethal to my fragile heart.

 

 

 

"How should I do it... just close my eyes or make cute faces at him? But wouldn't that be cringey though... "

 

 

 

 

My mouth curved into a smile as I watched her mumbled to herself. She looked so cute as she would look up, purse her lips and pout every once in awhile, pondering what to do next.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Why don't you relax a bit and just let things flow?" I say with a smile as I gently lock her in my arms.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I closed my eyes let myself get lost in her warmth. She felt so tender, so fragile in my arms that I was afraid that I'd break her if I'd hold her tight.

 

 

 

So I just held her hand and savored the moment.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I wonder if she felt how fast my heart was beating then. Having her in my arms, feeling her body close to mine, it's just...

 

 

 

The feeling's indescribable.

 

 

 

I wish time would have stopped...

 

 

 

"You're smiling just now. Is there anyone specific in your mind?"

 

 

 

The image of her leaning close to me fades as I hear the interviewer's voice. I feel my cheeks heating up, remembering the images that replayed in my mind.

 

 

 

"I just really like a cute and silly girl."

 

 

 

From the side, my manager furiously waves his hands at the interviewer.

 

 

 

"Alright, we won't press on the matter anymore. Thanks for coming again." She says while trying to hide her smile. "That's it for today's show. Thanks, everyone!"

 

 

 

Ay, Yang Yang. You act like a silly boy. I laugh to myself as lights go out.

 

 

 

"What was that?"

 

 

 

I snap my head towards my manager as he approaches me.

 

 

 

"Standard answers are so boring. Thought I'd spice things up."

 

 

 

"Why is it so hard for you to follow simple things?"

 

 

 

I roll my eyes as I walk fast, trying to lose him. "Shouldn't I give fan service? The fans will surely be giddy with my answer just now."

 

 

 

I hate it when he tries to control me. He's already in charge of my reel life. Why does he still have to meddle with my personal life?

 

 

 

"I hope you don't forget our ultimate goal. We're still halfway there."

 

 

 

Our goal or yours?

 

 

 

Sometimes, I can't even tell.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Life has a way of making you remember the memories that made you smile just when you're feeling down.

 

 

 

"Why are you doing hiding here?"

 

 

 

I gasped as I hear a voice above me. I decided to lay down for awhile as my back was aching badly. I squint my eyes to see who it was.

 

 

 

"I wasn't hiding, Yang." I said as I streched my arms. Did I just doze off? "Is it our turn?"

 

 

 

"Is your back hurting again?"

 

 

 

I smile, feeling touched by his concern. I didn't know he was quite the observer.

 

 

 

"I'm fine. I'm just tired, I guess." I said, not wanting to cause a ruckus on set.

 

 

 

He looked at me for a long time. Geesh... why does he suddenly make me nervous?

 

 

 

After a long while, he finally bent down and reached for my arms. He gently pulled me while guiding my back so tenderly as if I was a baby.

 

 

 

I looked at him, confused.

 

 

 

"Can you walk or do you want me to carry you?"

 

 

 

I quickly stood up but my back ached painfully. 

 

 

 

"Aw."

 

 

 

I gasp as he swiftly carries me. My cheeks heat up as I felt his strong arms holding me tight. I closed my eyes, afraid that if I opened them, I'd find out it was all just a dream...

 

 

 

"That must be a good one."

 

 

 

I almost jump out of my seat. "You scared me!" I slap Tian Yu. Geesh. Why did he have to do that just when it was getting good?

 

 

 

He laughs while avoiding my slaps. "You look so weird smiling to yourself."

 

 

 

I frown at him. "I just remembered something. That's all."

 

 

 

"Hey, you're phone's ringing." He points to my mobile blinking.

 

 

 

I look at the caller and smile. "What can I do for you, Jing?"

 

 

 

 

"You said you'll make up to me for leaving early, right?" 

 

 

 

Hmm... what does this rascal have in mind? "What is it?"

 

 

 

"Come to our place tomorrow and let's have lunch."

 

 

 

Well, I don't have a schedule after all and Ni Ni cooks quite well.

 

 

 

"Hao de. I'll be there."

 

 

 

"YES!" I laugh at his overreaction. "Is Tian Yu there?"

 

 

 

I pass the phone to Tian Yu. "It's Jing. He wants to talk to you."

 

 

 

It'd be a good way to spend my free time too. I really need to relax a little.

 

 

 

Who knows? Maybe something good will come out of it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"What do you want, Jing Bao?"

 

 

 

I go over the script of my potential new drama as I wait for him to speak.

 

 

 

"Let's have lunch tomorrow at my place. It's my extended party."

 

 

 

I mark some parts I have questions on. "I already went to your party. Plus, I want to sleep all day tomorrow."

 

 

 

"Alright. If you say so. Too bad Xiao Shuang said she'll come."

 

 

 

I close my script and smile.

 

 

 

"Hao de. What time do you need me?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jing Boran laughs as he ends the call. He winks at Ni Ni.

 

 

 

"That boy's too easy to read."

 

 

 

Ni Ni looks impressed. "What do you have in mind then?"

 

 

 

Jing rubs his chin in deep thought.

 

 

 

"It's time to give our friends a little push."