Chapter 7

Forget-Me-Not

Yeri's POV

I love my job. I really do. Being the secretary of the Chief in Command of a top-secret government organisation sure had its perks. Huge salary, flexible work- time, job security and the satisfaction of doing something for the country were indeed great benefits. However, Bae Joohyun, my Chief, has been out of it lately. Being the first woman to be appointed as the Chief, she inspired me to become who I am today. She was an amazing leader, a great strategist and a courageous woman. She has been setting an example for everyone in the organisation for these past few years. But she ed up this time because she let her feelings control her, which was a surprise to me because she was so good at handling situations that conflicted with her own ideas and beliefs. She made Seulgi, most likely to be the next Cheif, leave the organisation because of her personal hatred towards her.

No one really knew what happened but suddenly Seulgi left her job, making everyone question Irene's leadership. Which, in turn, made Irene frustrated so she took out her anger on me, sometimes. So now, I don't love my job as much as I used to. 

Maybe if I helped the organisation with catching terrorist instead of watching Seulgi brush her hair, I would love the job. Maybe now that Irene has asked me to stop monitoring her, I won't be so bored. I thought to myself. 

If there was one thing I hated about Irene, it was her homophobic ideas. I didn't know why she is the way she is but I've heard rumours about her family, who are pretty close-minded. It still doesn't justify her actions but it might be a reason.

"KIM YERIM.", I heard Irene shout from inside her office. , what did I do? 

"Yes, ma'am.", I said after entering the office. The Chief's office is probably the most intimidating room in the whole building. The room itself was in a semi-circular form, the walls were adorned with former Chiefs and Irene was seated in the middle of the semi-circle with her seat touching the wall. Her seat and her table were raised by a platform that had two small steps, giving it a feel of a throne room rather than an office. It always seemed like she was looking down on us all, even though she is very tiny in person. 

"Stop dreaming, Yeri. Anyway, Wendy is coming back to work too and I want her to be updated about everything that's going on right now. I also need to know if we have any new leads on the cryptic message that we discovered in our mail. Make sure to remind cyber security team to sweep the office today for any bugs, along with the main employees' accommodations." I nodded my head to everything she sid and was about to leave the room but she called me again. 

Ughh, please let me breathe. 

"Get some food and sleep. You look like .", said Irene with an actual smile on her face. I was totally surprised and did not hide my expression which made her chuckle out loud. 

" Run along now, kid. I have some catching up to do. And wipe that look off your face. " she said with another chuckle. 

"I will, ma'am.", I replied to her and smiled at her before leaving the room. 

I know she has a warm heart somewhere behind that cold demeanour. She very rarely shows that side of her butI've seen that close with Wendy, Joy and Seulgi, the celebrated trio, with whom Irene had a fallout during the last month. It's so rare to see Irene care about anything these days and I was happy that she smiled at me.

I hope she stays happy so that  I can go back to loving my job. 

That's all I can do. Hope.