Chapter 20

Forget-Me-Not

SEULGI'S POV

"That's what happened. Joy must have seen Irene's step-father abusing her and he must have made sure that she didn't remember any of it.", Wendy said whilst trying to hold in the anger and the tears that polled in her eyes.

I could not believe what I had just heard. I felt so angry and so heartbroken just by thinking about it. I couldn't stop myself from shaking as I felt the pure rage that I tried to hide behind my glassy, ice masked face. Whereas Yeri did not hide any of her feelings. She stood up so suddenly that I felt the floorboard creek in protest.

"WHAT THE ACTUAL !? Wendy, if you know where that man lives, please tell me because I'm about to murder him and feed him to the ing pigs.No, maybe I'll slaughter him or torture him alive until he burns in pain all.over.his.body.", she said with so much uncontrollable rage that I felt afraid. I have never seen Yeri like that but I was willing to do anything to that man. He deserved to rot in the 77347th ring of hell. Before voicing out my anger, however, I made sure Wendy was okay. She was also trying to mask her feelings but she was not doing it properly as both Yeri and I were able to tell that she was more affected by this than she was letting on. I sat next to her and tried to do my best to calm her down and giver her some relief. I hugged her and was surprised when she hugged me back with so much strength. I hugged her as tight as I can and let her go when I felt her trying to get away from the hug.

"Wendy, did Irene tell you this herself?" I asked her carefully. She nodded her head.

"Yes. I-I told you guys about that drunken night right? W-well I was in my office late at night, working on something very important and I was trying really hard to crack a code. She came up to my office that night." said Wendy.


"Wendy? Why are you still here? Everyone has left." she heard Irene enter her room and ask her. She snapped her head as soon as she heard the voice of her boss. She hated to admit it but she kinda had a crush on her even though she knew that she was probably responsible for her best friend's misery.

"I'm just doing my job. I have a code to crack and I can't seem to get around it." I said nonchalantly and avoided looking at her oh so beautiful face.

"Oh, alright. I was about to head to the roof and have a drink while stargazing. You wanna come along?" Irene asked with hope. She wanted to get to know her employee. She had always been a er for beautiful girls and Wendy was beyond beautiful. She noticed the surprise on Wendy's face and the hesitance. 

"It's alright, you don't have to say yes, you know. But just know that when you're done here, you can find me on the roof." she shrugged and walked away.

Wendy was beyond confused. She was so flustered. She couldn't believe that her boss just invited her to a romantic star-gazing session. AND WITH FREE BOOZE. She patted herself in the back for doing something right to make the ice queen ask her to join her on her mid-night rendezvous. Without any more thought, she entered the elevator and went straight to the roof. 

It was very chilly and the wind made her shake like a leaf. Irene saw Wendy immediately and went ahead and wrapped the extra towel that she had with her. 

"You decided to come! That's great.", she said as she wrapped the towel and put her hands on each of Wendy's shoulder and rubbed it to create some heat. 

Wendy felt all kinds of things at that moment and tried to stop herself from looking at Irene's eyes. But, too late for her thoughts as she found herself staring at a pair of warm chestnut brown eyes that glimmered with delight and excitement. She liked that. She liked the warmth that was spreading throughout her when she looked at Irene's eyes. She felt like if she looked at her eyes for more than 10 seconds, she would fall in love. 

"Y-you're really beautiful. Like, so beautiful." Wendy said in a whisper because she just couldn't say it out loud. But Irene had heard it because she could see the tint of red on her cheeks. Wendy felt proud that she just made an angel blush. 

"Thank you. Want a drink?", Irene asked in the same whispery tone and they both understood that there was no need for anything louder than whispers. 

"Yes, ma'am.", Wendy said and that made Irene cackle. Wendy was wondering what had she done in her life to hear Irene laugh. It was a blessing. They both sat down on the blanket, shoulders touching and smiles threatening to break out. 

They both got drunk after some time and embarrassing stories and high school antics started to spill from heir memories.

"Oh my god, and then my dad came all the way to my school and literally chased that guy around for half an hour just because he winked at me and I felt uncomfortable." Wendy laughed at her own dad and how embarassing it was for her when she was in school. She noticed a change in Irene's face and asked her what was wrong.

"Just hearing that you had a nice dad who cared about you so much I, heartwarming at the same time heart-breaking.", Irene said, her bellowing laughter was silenced by her sad whispers. 

"Why is it heartbreaking?", Wendy asked her and held her free hand. Irene looked at their hands and smiled at it before looking up at her.

"My dad died when I was 10.", Wendy squeezed her palm. Irene again smiled at the sweet gesture and continued to tell Wendy her story.

"My mom remarried Kyuhyun, who was a drunkard and an abuser. Still is. He is my step-dad and he is very well known since he is the only Chief who went rogue in our agency." She paused and recollected her thoughts. Wendy pulled her closer and put a reassuring arm over her shoulder. She felt sad that she couldn't do anything to help Irene's agony. 

"H-he, um, asked me a favour and I refused because it was illegal. So, he tried to teach me a lesson.", Irene said and the next second there were tears pooled in her eyes and she laid her head on Wendy's shoulder while trying to control the sobs. 

"Hey, it's okay. You don't have to tell me.", Wendy said and held the older woman closer to her, hoping that it would make all the tears go away. Wendy could imagine what might have happened and she felt so angry at that old prick. How dare he lay hands on Irene, she thought. Irene shook her head and further told her what had happened but before she could finish, Irene passed out of exhaustion and all the beer and so did Wendy. 


SEULGI'S POV

"She told me that night. But neither of us acknowledged each other after that. We avoided each until I joined the job again." Wendy finished narrating her night with Irene. 

The look that Wendy had on her face was clear. She would do anything to save Irene from this misery and I knew how that felt since I was doing the same with Joy even though I'm the one who knows I'm in misery. 

"But why is Irene doing everything he's saying?" Yeri asked.

"Because he threatened to kill Joy." Everyone turned around to see Irene standing behind them.

"Stop doing that, it scares me. I need better security." Wendy mumbled to herself. I stood up and hugged Irene. I could tell that she was surprised but she patted my head like I was a kid and smiled. She did the same with Yeri and I felt like Irene would become a great mother. She had it all. 

"We are going to abduct Joy to save her.", Irene said with an air of finality as she sat next to Wendy. Yeri and I looked at them and smiled at each other.

"How are we going to steal her from Taemin? That guy is literally all over her.", Yeri said. Irene hummed and I knew she already had a plan.

"I was never going to use this but I have CCTV footages of what happened in my office that day and I'm going to blackmail Kyuhyun to let his minion loose," Irene said and all of us gasped for air. At that moment I felt so proud that I was under her. No one could have asked for a better Chief. Only Wendy seemed concernec by the plan.

"Are you sure? What if it just provoked him to do something stupid?", Wendy asked with worry written all over her face.

"It will work like magic, trust me. He values his honour more than anything.", Irene reassured her and we started to make plans.

To abduct the love of my life.