Everyone but us

Sunrise
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Someone’s asking for you.”

Xiyeon looked up from the boxes and Eunwoo was there in front of her.

“Who is it?”

“That basketball guy.”

“Cha Eunwoo?” She peeked through the crowds. “What is he doing here?”

“Isn’t that obvious?” Eunwoo said nonchalantly and Xiyeon winced because of her tone. She opened , but nothing came out. She hesitantly dropped the stuffs in her hand and headed to the group of boys that looked like the basketball team near the bulletin board.

“Hi there.”

The boy at the front of the crowd flashed a wide grin to her. She managed to smile back, the other boys who were pushing and urging him from behind made her quite uncomfortable.

“I know you’d be here so…I didn’t interrupt anything, did I?”

“…What can I do for you?”

Eunwoo couldn’t hear what they were saying, but she hadn’t moved her eyes from them since Xiyeon walked to him, so she saw a lot of things. She saw Xiyeon return him a smile, she saw him pull out a box of chocolate (which he had bought 5 minutes ago and it was she herself who handed it to him) with a pink envelope, she saw Xiyeon’s face turn red. In the end, Eunwoo saw her grab the boy’s hand and run out of the business building, ditching her dumbfounded friends and his cheering buddies.

“That was…wow.”

Sungyeon’s eyes were rounder than a 50 cent coin. “He really chose to confess today? With these chocolates and an old school love letter?”

“You can’t blame sport-boys…or sport-girls for being corny, most of them are not good at expressing with words.” Yewon pouted. “At least they are trying.”

Sungyeon threw her a look and for one moment, Yewon thought she understood. She blushed.

“Sport-boys or sport-girls? They?”

“That…That’s not the point!” Yewon smacked her on the arm, ignoring her loud complaint. “You’re so annoying, Bae Sungyeon!”

“Hey, what was that for? Where are you going!?”

“I’m done talking to you! I have to call Minkyung unnie!”

***

Minkyung was not talking about her—obviously, but Kyungwon’s heart still thudded when she said that word with those eyes.

“What…What do you mean?”

“I can see that.”

“See what?”

“Come on, you’ve known Nayoung unnie longer than I have! Look at her face!”

Kyungwon followed Minkyung’s sight, clumsier than she wanted to be. Nayoung was standing in front of the arcade alone, murmuring something they couldn’t hear, fingers fidgeting nonstop.

“She looks nervous…”

“Nervous like she’s preparing to confess, right?”

Kyungwon wasn’t sure, but Minkyung was 100% sure.

“Well, I don’t know…But you’re always the smart one, I think it’s highly possible.”

Minkyung smiled softly. “Everyone’s seeking their happiness. I hope they can all get it.”

Everyone?

“Kyulkyung’s coming out.”

Kyungwon didn’t know why they didn’t go into the arcade and play, but seemed that they wanted to go somewhere else. Nayoung took a glimpse at the floor map, pointed at a spot on it, and Kyulkyung just nodded and looking around for the escalator.

“Do you think Nayoung unnie will make it?”

“I only know if Nayoung unnie says it out loud, Kyul will definitely say yes.” Kyungwon chuckled, “She’s been waiting for too long.”

“I thought so. It’s good that today’s not Friday, I don’t think I can be patient for a weekend to hear about the details.”

Kyungwon looked back and forth. “Maybe we don’t have to wait at all. Let’s follow.”

“What?”

Before Minkyung could react, it was Kyungwon’s turn to drag her forward, this time toward the escalator.

“They just went upstairs. What is on the 13th floor? A cinema, you said?”

“Yeah…” Minkyung’s eyes widened. “You’re not gonna spy them, are you?”

“I don’t spy. I observe.”

Minkyung was glad she wasn’t sipping her milkshake otherwise she’d choke.

“Come on! Don’t tell me you’re not curious!”

“I am! But…”

“We will watch from a distance, no interruptions, ok? And if anything really goes wrong, we flee.”

As if a cue, they stepped on the 13th floor right when Kyungwon’s words finished. It was a start of a movie, part of the people there were lining, Nayoung and Kyulkyung couldn’t possibly be in the line so Minkyung looked to another direction.

“Look, the terrace!”

They rushed to a big LED screen and hid behind it. From there, they could see Nayoung and Kyulkyung outside the floor-to-ceiling window, Nayoung was sitting stiffly on a table while Kyulkyung leaned against the balustrade, looking down the world underneath her feet.

“Can you hear what they are saying?”

“No. Just watch.”

Maybe out of both nervousness and excitement, Kyungwon felt her heartbeats raise. Minkyung must feel the same because she tugged her arm, the coolness on her palms was sent to her skin.

Nayoung stood up from the table and paced to Kyulkyung, one hand putted awkwardly on the balustrade and the other reached to her waist, the “I’m flying!” back hug scene in Titanic flashed through Kyungwon’s mind and she swore she’d make fun of them for a whole week if they actually did that. But Nayoung just patted Kyulkyung on the back, earning her attention and a slightly puzzled look.

Their side profiles were clear under the sunset, Minkyung saw Nayoung murmur words—she was sure it was murmur, Nayoung already had to gather all her courage to do this. She kept mouthing with her eyes down, no specific changes on her face, but Kyulkyung’s expression changed from puzzled, surprised and now like her spirit was taken away, she couldn’t control her smile from forming. She knew she’d be the same if she received a face-to-face confession if she could be in the right circumstance.

Minutes passed, Kyulkyung finally comprehended what was going on, she smiled, happily and heartily, but she didn’t say anything so Nayoung didn’t capture that in time. When Nayoung peeped up because of the silence, that smile and that soft gaze caused her to flush in a sudden.

This side of Nayoung was what Kyungwon had never seen before, flustered and a little dumb, but she didn’t feel like laughing or even sniggering at her. She was having a foreign feeling.

With a launch, Kyulkyung threw herself in Nayoung’s arms, circling her waist and buried her face on her chest. The anxiousness Nayoung was holding finally faded away and was replaced by happiness. Their hearts found the places they belonged after the long wait. She leaned in and kissed Kyulkyung on the forehead, the small but loving movement made the four of them blush lightly at the same time. This could be one of the most beautiful scene this year.

“We should leave now.”

The two were hugging tightly onto each other, Minkyung had no idea how long they were planning to stay like this, but knowing everything between them was perfectly settled was enough.

“Now I’m wondering how they’re gonna tell us. I bet it will be funny. Ah, and I bet this is the main reason Nayoung unnie postpones her graduation! I knew she was hiding something when she told us it was because of her minors!”

Kyungwon chuckled along with Minkyung but her mind wasn’t exactly there. Envy. I envy them. She figured out slowly.

“I’m glad she did that first.”

“What? Confess?”

“No. Kiss on the forehead.”

Kyungwon slowed down her paces. “Huh? Really?”

“Yeah. Are you surprised?”

“Well, it fits Nayoung unnie’s style, you know, no rush, starting slow…Or perhaps it’s a thing I would do if I was in her shoes too, so…I’m not surprised she did that first, but I’m a bit surprised it can impress you.”

More and more people were gathering around in the mall, Minkyung’s arm was linking with Kyungwon’s, their footsteps in sync, rambling downstairs.

“I believe that…kiss on the lips means passion and solid love, and they are definitely in love with each other for long,” Minkyung smiled sheepishly. “but I like a peck on the forehead more sometimes. It makes me feel I’m respected and cherished…and even protected.”

“So a peck on the forehead followed by a kiss on the lips is what you call perfect?”

Minkyung blushed. Why did I start this? “Um…Kind of.”

“You’re speaking as if you’ve been kissed before.” Kyungwon said, half joking and half probing.

“Only my parents had kissed me on the forehead. And I remembered seeing my dad did that to my mom…” Minkyung sounded like she was talking about a distant memory. “It has always been special to me. Something I wish I could have someday.”

Kyungwon didn’t read into her words, she didn’t even have the time to stop herself.

Please log in to read the full chapter