Seek

Sunrise
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Hurry up, Jung Eunwoo! I swear we’ll leave you behind if you don’t get your over here now!”

“I’m buying us beverage, can’t you see that!?”

“You are buying the whole store!”

“There are 10 of us, TEN! And don’t you dare tell me you are not the one who always drinks 3 bottles!”

It wouldn’t be the girls’ daily life without another round of bicker concurred.

“Park Xiyeon! You cheated!”

“I did not! You lost! You’re carrying my backpack till we arrive to our picnic spot!”

“Unnie, look at Ddiddi! She’s evil…”

One, two, three, four. Minkyung made sure the number was correct before opening the water bottle. Nobody was looking at her, she threw those four into , taking in a sip of water.

“Minkyung.”

She recoiled, the pills were still in . Nayoung walked to her with concern in her eyes.

“You ok?”

She nodded, taking a hard swallow. The pills went down and she was glad she didn’t choke.

“I’m ok. Why?”

“Well, everyone’s noisy, you are quiet.” Nayoung shrugged. “I come to find my ally.”

“I’m happy to be your ally, but…” Minkyung pointed with her chin. “Someone needs you more.”

Nayoung followed her and saw Kyulkyung, one hand carrying a carton full of snacks and the other trying to drag Eunwoo—who kept on arguing they should buy more—out.

“They have each other. I don’t think she needs me.” Nayoung said nonchalantly, but smart as Minkyung, it was impossible for her to not hear the jealousy.

“Come on, you don’t actually think…” And she paused, snickered, shaking her head. “Just go, Nayoung unnie. Trust me.”

Hesitating, but with Minkyung’s urging and the light push on the shoulder, Nayoung finally paced to the noisy two at the store. Minkyung had to hold her grin when seeing Nayoung take the carton over without much words nor a specific expression, and the way Kyulkyung blushed when realizing who had come for her. Nayoung patted Eunwoo on the head, got her to stop and move. Kyulkyung wanted to take the one liter soda bottle from the carton, thinking it could reduce some weights, but Nayoung didn’t let her do so. At least there’s a start, Minkyung thought as they walked back quietly.

“All good? Can we move now?” Yebin pulled the bike alarm. “The early the better, today’s Saturday!”

“How should we arrange the bikes?”

Sungyeon asked and all of them realized they hadn’t thought of this problem. “There are only three, Yewon doesn’t know how to ride, and we got too many foods.”

“Um…” Minkyung raised her hand. “I can’t ride a bike either…”

“I’m not gonna risk to dump the snacks on the way.” Nayoung pointed at the carton. “I’ll take a cab there, who’s joining me? Let’s meet beside the riverbank, we’ll start to settle if we get there first.”

In the end, Kyulkyung, Eunwoo and Yewon got in a cab with her, Minkyung placed herself on Kyungwon’s back saddle while Sungyeon sat on Kyla’s. Yebin stamped her foot, signed mentally. She had to adjusted the bike’s height to match hers otherwise her feet couldn’t touch the ground, but it was too low that Minkyung’s legs would drag on the ground if she had sat behind her. So it was reasonable and safer to put her with Kyungwon, similar stature and with good skills.

“You don’t mind I hold your waist, right?”

Kyungwon tried not to grin too widely. “Of course I don’t. You did the same the last time we went stargazing.” And I love it.

“Yeah, right.” Minkyung fiddled the band across Kyungwon’s back. “Seat belt backpack? It suits you.”

“Yep. And it’s fastened.” Kyungwon set a GoPro she bought yesterday on the handle. She wouldn’t miss the chance of filming good scenery. “I can guarantee you a safe ride.”

Minkyung giggled and leaned closer to her. Yebin felt a poke on her waist, Xiyeon was behind her, quirking a brow.

“I’ll kill you if you let us fall.”

“I won’t, you spoiled brat.”

Summer vacation started a week ago and Minkyung’s birthday soon followed. She didn’t ask for this, she didn’t even think about this, but the girls decided to go outing and have a picnic at the Han River to celebrate for her. Spending her 21th birthday’s daytime with her friends and night with her family was the best gift she received already.

“Save your smile after we arrive!” Kyungwon yelled, passing the intersection and bustling cars.

“How do you know I’m smiling? You can’t even see me.”

“I just know!”

“Hey.” Minkyung tightened her grip on her waist. “Teach me ride later?”

“Sure.”

After passing the intersection, they took the alleys and the bike trails, more and more people were showing up on the way as the sun went up higher.

“Eunwoo sent us a group message.” Xiyeon yelled, “They just got off and found a dope spot!”

“Where exactly is it?”

Xiyeon poked Yebin and told her to go to the front of the others. “Follow us.”

In less than 10 minutes, they heard Eunwoo screaming, for tiny reasons like always, saved them some minutes to locate the two picnic mats Nayoung set under a big tree. Kyungwon and Minkyung had stopped for a short while to let a team of kids pass the path first so they were the last to arrive. The other two bikes were already leaned against the back of the tree, the girls were on the mats, talking while taking out the foods.

“Ok, get off now.”

Kyungwon stood up on her feet, making sure the bike was balanced on the turf. Minkyung stood up after that but her right foot stepped on a slippery rock, her body tilted and Kyungwon was merely in time to turn around to notice.

“Whoa, be careful.”

A pair of hands held her firmly in place, Minkyung looked up surprisingly, Yebin was right next to her, keeping her from tripping.

“You ok?”

“Yeah. Thanks.”

That was agile. Xiyeon looked between her sister and the spot beside her where Yebin had sprinted away from.

“Folks, quickly!” Kyulkyung’s exclamation drew their attentions and broke the little circle beside the tree. “The popsicles are melting, we gotta finish them now!”

Each of them was given at least two popsicles to deal with, leaving everyone a sudden mess and hurry.

“Which idiot bought so many popsicles on such weather?”

Everybody turned to a certain someone who pretended she didn’t hear anything.

“Jung Eunwoo!!”

***

“Um…Kyungwon?”

Minkyung frowned and looked around. “Yebin? Ddiddi?”

She walked away from the bike which Kyungwon had said she would use on teaching just a minute ago.

“…Guys?”

The girls had eaten, taken photos and played a few rounds of poker, Sungyeon and Yewon said they needed to go to the washroom, Nayoung wanted to dump the trashes first so Kyulkyung followed, it was reasonable that they were not here at this moment. But Yebin and Xiyeon were sitting on the mat, Minkyung was sure about that, and Kyungwon was right behind her.

How could they disappear when she had her back facing them?

“Guys, this is funny…Can you come out now?”

The surrounding was noisy, but it was caused by other groups of people. There were no familiar faces Minkyung could see.

“Please? I don’t…Whoa!”

Her eyes were cover from behind, in a quick but gentle way.

“Xiyeon? Is that you?”

When those hands moved, a homemade cake which had delicate decorations was shoved in her sight.

“Happy birthday, unnie!”

Her eyes widened and mouth ajar, surprise and heartfelt gratitude engulfed her that a complete sentence was difficult to form.

“T-This…This is…so…” She gulped. “It’s so beautiful...”

“Make a wish and blow the candles! They almost burn out!”

Minkyung did as told. The light smoke flew into the air, the girls all cheered, applauded and gave her hugs, and suddenly, “Bobo present!”, Eunwoo shouted and crashed her lips on her left cheek. She laughed, thinking it was Eunwoo’s special, then Xiyeon also bumped on her

Please log in to read the full chapter