Hold me

Sunrise
Please log in to read the full chapter

The piano suite was gentle, gentle as the breeze that was surrounding them, and beautiful, beautiful as the light that created by the filament bulbs. Everything matched with each other in its way. Minkyung inhaled the scent of jasmine, she felt a bit dazzled, but not because of discomfort.

She and Kyungwon were always close, both physically and mentally. But standing face to face, with only a few centimeters’ distance and heard every breath from each other, the feeling was something they had never felt before. Kyungwon was smiling all the time, not minding Minkyung took some time to realize what was going on.

“I…I’ve never danced before…”

“It’s ok, I’m not experienced either.” Kyungwon held one of her hands and putted another hand on her waist. Not too high and not too low. “Let’s just follow the music, ok?”

Before Minkyung could nod, her legs started moving with Kyungwon guiding her. It wasn’t difficult, technically there were no dance skills needed, all they had to do was tapped their feet on the wooden floor and moved with small circles. There was a small crack on the floor, Minkyung noticed that because she was afraid she might step on Kyungwon so she kept staring downward. They never moved more than five inches from the crack.

Kyungwon’s skin was warm, as always, Minkyung was sure that her body temperature warmed her, not her windbreaker. She looked up, thinking she would meet Kyungwon’s eyes, but Kyungwon wasn’t looking at her. Her sight was also downward, Minkyung knew she wasn’t staring at their feet. For a moment, time seemed to have stopped, their movements also had stopped, only the music was still playing. Then Kyungwon closed her eyes, like she was savoring this moment, like she was carving the details deep in her memory. The hands they were holding together tightened a little, they continued moving with small circles, none of them broke the silence.

The gaps between songs were not noticeable, nor had they had a mind to mind the passing of the time. Slowly, Kyungwon opened her eyes. She looked at Minkyung, the smile she was wearing came back on her face. Minkyung wanted to speak, but Kyungwon was faster.

“Come.”

She led her to a picnic table beside the booth, leaving the music behind. “Have a seat. And don’t worry about it,” She pointed at the sounds, “it will stop playing in about 5 minutes.”

After Minkyung sat down on one side of the bench, Kyungwon hopped and sat sideways on the tabletop. When Minkyung gestured the seat beside her, she shook her head. It was probably more comfortable to talk with this sitting position, which was what Minkyung thought.

“I’m sorry.”

She didn’t expect this was the first thing Kyungwon said.

“Huh? Why?”

“I know you must be confused and even shocked by all these…” Kyungwon scratched her jaw, “I did these in my own way and didn’t ask your opinion.”

“You set all the bulbs by yourself?”

“Yep. Well, I decorated here, the lights were borrowed from the owner.”

“You are really good at this! It’s so beautiful.”

“Really?” Kyungwon looked into her eyes. “You like it?”

“Of course!” Minkyung answered cheerfully and without hesitation. Kyungwon nodded, looked away and let out a long exhale.

“That’s good to know.”

“Is there…something wrong, Kyungwon?” Minkyung putted a hand on hers. “Talk to me?”

“Remember we agreed to give each other a present when we graduate? There are still months before the graduation, but…I already received mine.” Kyungwon glanced at the booth. “The dance. That’s the best present for me, Minky.”

“But…that’s not from m-me…you planned and decorated everything…”

“I dreamed of sharing a dance with you on the prom the moment I met you. I made our own prom and you did not refuse me, I was afraid you might feel awkward. You said you like these and I know you meant it. And we danced for more than one song. That’s more than enough.”

The genuineness in Kyungwon’s voice was evident. Of course, Minkyung wanted to do more for her, but she didn’t know how to express when Kyungwon obviously had something more to say. This side of Kyungwon was what she had never seen before.

“It’s been more than a year since we met, right? I always feel we’ve met each other longer, a decade, at least.” Kyungwon chuckled and Minkyung smiled. “Are you happy during this time?”

“More than ever. Hanlin is where I belong. It brought me to the girls, and it brought me…to you, to Yebin.” Both her smile and her voice softened when she mentioned about them. “I cannot imagine how my life would be if I had not met you.”

“I’m glad to be part of your happiness.” Kyungwon’s tone changed. Gentler and firmer. “And you deserve all the happiness in the world.”

“I have everything and everyone. I’m already…”

“Minky.” Kyungwon flipped her hand over and gripped Minkyung’s. “What I’m saying is...”

Minkyung blinked. And she gulped. “You get it now?”

“…No.”

“You’ve been through a lot and you are still undergoing a lot. You’ll probably say you always have companies, true, I don’t doubt that, you have a great family and you have friends that love you. But I know there are always times you feel…empty. Or lonely. Everybody has something they are afraid to talk about, not to mention…you.”

Both Kyungwon’s hands were covering Minkyung’s now, transferring warmth to her nonstop. “Perhaps…nobody can ever fill up the emptiness in your heart, because no matter how hard we try, we are not you. We can’t feel everything you feel. But I believe the emptiness can be minimized…as long as the right person is there with you.”

At that moment, Minkyung understood. Kyungwon was saying it behind her eyes, her actions, and her words. She understood.

“Meeting you is the best thing ever happened in our lives. We’ve gone through sorrow, yes, and also all kinds of bliss with you. I’ve grown, I know that myself. It’s time for me to complete my grown-up mission.”

“Kyungwon…”

“Hey, hey,” Kyungwon poked Minkyung’s cheek. She was beaming brighter than the lights. “let me play cool and finish this. I see lots of things lately, I had questions, but I’ve found the answers myself. Kang Yebin…she’s younger than me but she grows up earlier. She grew up since you told us every... oh no, perhaps even earlier than that, earlier than the time I was aware. In another life, we would be perfect with each other, I would love you with all my heart and I believe you would love me back. In this life, I still love you with all my heart…”

Minkyung’s eyes were welling up. “…but to fill the emptiness for you in this life, it’s her. That small and staunch bean.”

“I-I…”

You know how I always feel about the stars? They may not as important as the sun, but you can find them anywhere.

--I’ll always be here when you need me.

“I l-love you too, Kyungwon…”

“I know! I never said you don’t.” Kyungwon leaned closer, wiping away her dropping tears. “Love is not just between lovers. Love between family is equally great, right? Listen, Minky,”

She whispered every word clearly and sincerely. “You can be appreciative, but you should never feel guilty toward me. This is us…I defense, she protects, we both want to keep you safe. But among safety, she never once forgot your happiness. So now I’m telling you to go. Go for her.”

In her blurry sight, Kyungwon’s features somehow had never been this distinct. “One day, when you look back, you won’t regret saying it out. You will only regret for not saying it.”

Minkyung closed her eyes but the tears were unstoppable. No words could come out from , she held tightly onto Kyungwon’s hand, pecked her knuckle with her trembling lips.

“Let me.”

Kyungwon moved to the edge of the tabletop. Minkyung felt her hand on her cheek, she waited, then a soft, lingering kiss was pressed on her forehead. She could still sense it after Kyungwon pulled away.

“I promised you, remember?”

Minkyung nodded, gulping down a sob. The forehead kiss, the kiss represented that she was respected and cherished. No doubt Kyungwon had kept this in her mind ever since that day at the mall.

“Will I always be the brightest star in your universe?”

And all Minkyung could do was nodding vigorously. Kyungwon heard a stuttered always, she chuckled to her reaction, and kissed her forehead once more.

***

The sky turned from dark blue to ash gray, the sign of daybreak was slowing emerged. The world was still in its slumber, most of the people were wandering in their dreamlands, which made the tiny movements louder than usual. Yebin tried her best to be quiet, but her footsteps on the floor were like thunders without other noises.

She finally reached to the bed Kyungwon was sleeping on and sat down carefully on the edge. When she looked up, Minkyung had her eyes open, gazing at her like she had been waited.

You’re awake? Yebin mouthed and pointed at herself, asking if she was too loud. Minkyung shook her head, pulling away the comforter and sat up. Her eyes were slightly red, Yebin wondered if she was awake half of the night. She took a glimpse of the window and looked back, the word she was mouthing was simple and clear.

Sunrise.

Yebin also took a glimpse at the window. She nodded to Minkyung, half understood and half confused. What about it?

Outside.

She wanted to go out. Yebin checked the time, 4 minutes before 5am. As always, she didn’t say much and went to get the scarf that was hung on the chair for Minkyung. When she walked back, she noticed Minkyung’s hesitation. Her sight landed on the pill box beside her pillow.

I’ll wait outside. Yebin gave her an assuring smile, putted the scarf on the bed before grabbed her coat and bag and left the room.

If they were lucky, they would get to the place in time. Yebin pulled up the zip and putted on her shoes. She breathed in the early morning air, it was indeed refreshing, she was not as sleepy as she thought she would be either.

Minkyung took longer than she had expected. When she came out, she apologized almost immediately and Yebin saw the sneakers she gave her on her birthday in her hand.

“Don’t be. I happen to know a place and we can get there in 20 minutes. The time of sunrise would be around 5:45.”

“You’ve checked up everything?”

“Yep.”

They walked side by side on the quiet and foggy road, Minkyung had her hand on Yebin’s forearm, the outline of her small muscle was under her sensitive fingertips.

“Does it hurt?”

Yebin asked without looking at her. Minkyung knew she meant the bruise on her wrist.

“It’s ok. I’m used of it.”

Though it was not a comforting answer, Yebin nodded. She had always been like this, concerned a lot, never pried.

“Where were you last night?” Minkyung asked softly, also changing the topic.

“Looking up some information on the owner’s laptop for about an hour, after that I stayed at Nayoung and Kyulkyung’s room.”

“Why did you stay at their room?”

“Kyungwon unnie said she needed to spend some time with you alone.”

She said she was not going to confess. She said it was s

Please log in to read the full chapter