Colors

Sunrise
Please log in to read the full chapter

The start of the new year, new semester felt awkward. Nothing seemed to have changed but at the same time, everything seemed to have changed. Everyone was counting the days, whether they really wanted to do so.

Sitting alone in the classroom and gazed at the empty seat beside her, all Kyungwon could think of was what Minkyung had told her about how much she wanted to select this course. She remembered it was around the last summer vacation, she was trying to fill up the academic credits she needed, and this course was not on her list at all. But after hearing what the girl she admired said, Kyungwon immediately added it up and told her she loved classics as well. Even if classics were like lullaby to her, even if she had to study alone now, she didn’t withdrawal. Because she felt she had to tell Minkyung every detail she wanted to know.

Kyungwon knew deep down, a small part of her also had changed. She didn’t have the mind to figure out what exactly changed, but she knew at this moment, she wanted Minkyung to smile, to be happy more than ever. It was something she should have done earlier.

***

Time always passed faster than they had expected. After the midterms, it was early May, the weather had become warmer and fresh green leaves were covering the branches. It was also the time Mr. and Mrs. Park had insisted on them to wait for, the less cold, the better for Minkyung.

Kyungwon wondered more than once about how Minkyung could be so convincing. She convinced Yebin (or Yebin didn’t even have to be convinced), she convinced her, then she convinced her family. Perhaps this was her talent. Perhaps it was her gift that everyone in this world would love her deeply in their ways.

“What if I say, I want this to stop right now?”

Xiyeon flopped onto her back on the bed. “Kyungwon unnie has a point. This is definitely not wise.”

“But you know this is right. It’s right to Minkyung unnie.” Eunwoo dropped some clothes in her opened suitcase. “You don’t have the heart to refuse. I know that.”

Xiyeon stared at the ceiling until Eunwoo’s face popped into her sight. “You done packing? I thought you said you need to bring lots of stuffs?”

“…Nunu.”

“Yes?”

Eunwoo frowned at Xiyeon’s hesitation. “What’s wrong?”

“Do you remember…what I said about Minkyung unnie?”

“Yeah, I remember…She’s sick, that’s why she needs to take medicines and rest well.” Eunwoo sat down on the bed, her hand Xiyeon’s cheek. “That’s why you didn’t want her to be too far from home. You are really protective and sweet, you know.”

“I’m incapable.”

“Huh? What do you mean?”

Xiyeon closed her eyes. The words coming out from her lips were like whispers.

“There's a thing...I have to tell you now.”

***

It was 9 in the morning when three cars running on the highway in order. The scene outside the window was simple and even a bit dull, only cars passed by one after another, but Minkyung still watched everything with her glittering pupils. Yebin moved her eyes back on the road from the review mirror, her hands that were gripping onto the steering wheel were slightly wetted by the sweat.

“Relax, bro.” Kyungwon said from the passenger seat. “You’re driving great. Stop tightening your shoulders, you’ll feel the ache halfway.”

Yebin took a long exhale and glanced at the review mirror again. Minkyung and Xiyeon were in the backseat, talking casually and taking pictures with droll stickers, giggles filled the car and warmed her heart. Nayoung was driving right behind them with Kyulkyung beside her and Eunwoo in the backseat, the third car had Kyla as the driver and Yewon and Sungyeon as the passengers.

Things were going smoothly, the girls all looked forward to this four days trip. Yebin told Kyungwon she would fulfill any wishes from Minkyung if she possibly could. Kyungwon just nodded when she first heard it, she also had made up her mind. But she did not tell Yebin what exactly it was.

“Sungyeon says she will pee in her pants if we don’t stop now.” Kyungwon sniggered. “How far is it from the resting stop?”

“Not far, I think. We should all take a short break.”

“We should all grab some snacks, I’m hungry!”

The resting stop was small but had enough shops and clean restrooms. The girls were buying their snacks at different stores, Minkyung wasn’t feeling like eating so she paced to the car park outside. She got up a small hill and sat down, the sunrays came down from the blue sky, soft breeze caressed her cheeks, bringing a refreshing scent. They had checked the weather report a few days ago and it showed that the chance of raining was high. But now, it seemed that they were quite lucky.

“Remember what Dr. Yoo said? Take your medicines four times a day and one injection right after you wake up in the morning.”

Her parents were worried, of course. But they still let her have this trip with her friends.

“We won’t be right there with you, but we will be near around you. And so will Dr. Yoo. Call us once you feel anything is wrong. Xiyeon, you heard that too?”

There were some times Minkyung felt guilty for asking for this. She putted pressures and concerns to her family, her friends, and she might add more troubles if her luck decided to not favor her. Perhaps she was being childish and even selfish, but she just couldn’t give up on her longing.

“Hey.”

She turned to her right and saw Eunwoo approach. “Hey, Nunu. You don’t grab anything to eat?”

“Kyulkyung is standing in the line. She won’t dare to not buy a hot dog or something for me.”

Eunwoo sat down with her, looking into the distance. It was not usual to see her so quiet, but Minkyung wasn’t going to ask her why.

“I’m glad we can have this trip together, Minkyung unnie.”

“You are?”

“Yeah.”

“You don’t think…I’m causing troubles?”

Eunwoo shook her head slowly. “Time will pass, things will change, only memories stay. You don’t want to face a whole blank when you look back your life, especially college life. It’s supposed to be the most beautiful time, right?”

Minkyung smiled. “Right.”

“And no one here was forced to come. We came because we want to.”

A loud curse appeared from the car park, they turned and found an ice cream on the ground and Yewon was smacking Sungyeon’s arm. They will definitely buy a new one, Minkyung thought.

“You know…there was once, Ddiddi and I got into a quarrel. A bad quarrel.” Eunwoo scratched her cheek in slight embarrassment when Minkyung looked at her with concern. Seemed like Xiyeon had never told her about it. “We were planning to go to a concert that weekend, I bought the tickets a month ago and I was so excited. But two days before the concert, she called to cancel our date because you had a flu. I asked her how severe it was, I asked to visit you, but she kept refusing and giving me vague excuses. I thought she just didn’t want to go with me so…I yelled at her. I said she doesn’t care about me at all, that’s why she can ditch me so easily…Well, the original words were a lot worse, but you know the meaning. Even now I feel so guilty for what I did.”

“It was not your fault. It was none of your fault.”

“Maybe it wasn’t. Maybe it was. It doesn’t matter now.” Eunwoo’s small hand searched for Minkyung’s and gripped. “What matters is how we are gonna spend these four days. How about doing some crazy and stupid stuffs?”

“Sounds perfect.”

With a launch, Eunwoo hugged Minkyung tightly and buried her face on her shoulder. It was usual for her to do so, though the feeling was different from the past.

“You know I love you a lot, right?”

Minkyung chuckled, hugged her back and patted her head without further words.

I love you girls a lot, too.

***

The road they were on now was not broad but quiet, both side were fields and had no pedestrians. Kyungwon was driving steadily, a bit slowly, they were the last of the three cars after getting off the highway. Minkyung was alone w

Please log in to read the full chapter