Lightly

Sunrise
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Ok, here’s the note…and a small gift.”

Yebin putted a bag of cookie in Minkyung’s hand. “It’s from Yewon. She wanted to come but got stuck by some stupid stuffs.”

“I’ll thank her later.” Minkyung smiled, looking into her eyes. “Congratulation on the champion, captain. It’s a pity that the referees didn’t choose you as the best setter.”

“I wasn’t expecting either.” Yebin shrugged, didn’t care much. “The setter of Financial Accounting is better than me. We won, and my jobs finished. That was what was important.”

“You sound like you are talking about something that has passed for a long time.”

“It is, in fact. You know, when we got the last score, when other teammates and the spectators cheered…I was asked more than once about why I didn’t look ecstatic at all.”

“You only felt relieved, didn’t you?”

Yebin nodded with slight surprise. “How do you know?”

“The whole team, the annoying seniors, the winning and losing, they are pressures to you. I know you are fulfilling your responsibilities and not enjoying since we had the talk on the rooftop.”

“I feel happy when I’m simply…playing and practicing. I feel happy when some of my teammates—like Yewon, cooperate well with me. But when it comes to the stupid authority and those faults which weren’t even mine, it became a different story.”

“You’ve been through a lot and those just proved you are a nice person.”

Minkyung patted the back of her hand. “I’m proud of you, Yebin. You've grown.”

“…I’m not a kid.”

“You know I didn’t mean that kind of grown.”

They chuckled together, letting this short comforting moment float in the air. Yebin was looking at their folded hands, hers was covered under Minkyung’s. Their skin was cool.

“You sure…you are able to take the final exams?”

“Sure. The professors all allowed me to take the exams at home. Some of them were a little reluctant, of course.” Minkyung joked, “But at least I won’t miss or fail any subjects.”

“Well, if you need someone to give you hints,” Yebin pointed at herself. “Message me. I promise I’ll keep it between us.”

Minkyung giggled. “Ok.”

“I have to go now.” Yebin checked the time on her phone. “One last group assignment is waiting for me. Sungyeon is so stressful because she is the one to represent.”

“Where is…your watch? That white Casio? You used to wear it every day.”

“I took it off.” Yebin answered quickly and noted the confusion in Minkyung’s eyes. “I um…don’t think it’s necessary now. I mean, my life is simple, school and my home and your home are where I spend the most of the time at. I can just listen to the school bell or check my phone if I need to know the exact time.”

“You said you are used to see the pointers. A watch on your wrist makes you feel reliable.”

“Yeah, but…I changed my mind.”

Minkyung wanted to hold Yebin’s hand tighter but she was pulling away. “Kyungwon unnie should be here in an hour. Quick reminder, she might lecture you.”

“I can totally handle that.” Her voice was soft. Very soft. “Will you come and spend some time with me tomorrow?”

“You know I will come every day if you want.”

The caress on her cheek appeared expectedly. Yebin would do this before she left lately, each time was gentle, but each time was quick that Minkyung couldn’t feel enough of the warmth. It was like the owner was afraid to linger.

“See ya.”

After Yebin left, Minkyung just sat on her bed and watched the afternoon sun outside the window. It was getting lower and lower as the time went by. Minkyung usually watched sunrise, not sunset, she didn’t want to act like a sentimental poet but sunset made her feel the end. She needed to feel the start, no matter it was realistic or not.

The notes and textbooks formed a small bulge on her desk. She appreciated the girls for bringing her these, she thanked Xiyeon and her parents for talking to the teachers. Getting good grades was never something she longed, but finished the semesters was. As for the degree? She wanted to, and she used to be sure that she could get. But things always changed faster than she had imagined.

“Thinking about someone?”

The voice reminded Minkyung that she had been spacing out for a while. She looked up and saw that tall figure leaning against the window frame. She beamed, welcomed her friend and amused by how punctual the cousins were.

“Yep. I’m thinking it’s about time for you to show up.”

Kyungwon’s cheeks turned pink because of the answer. She stepped astride the sill—much agile now, and scooted to her side.

“I don’t want to be naggy,” Kyungwon frowned, “and I know you want to breathe some fresh air, but it’s pretty chilly recently. Don’t leave the window open for too long. See?” She covered Minkyung’s hand with her warm ones. “You are cold! Come on, get on the bed and wrap yourself in the blanket. Where’s the kettle, by the way?”

“You are really like Xiyeon now.” Minkyung murmured but letting Kyungwon tuck her in the bed anyway.

“Can I sit? I don’t like talking to you with a lying posture.”

“Fine.”

Kyungwon’s sight landed on the books when pouring Minkyung some hot water. She sighed, shaking her head.

“I don’t know I should call you industrious or stubborn. Study is your last concern but you care so much on it.” She fiddled through the papers. “Thanks god you didn’t select too many courses. Any easy A’s?”

“I think…Music Form and Orchestration are? I don’t mind getting C or D on the other tests, as long as I don’t fail.”

“Good. I would definitely be angry if you want to score high.”

After making sure Minkyung was staying warm, Kyungwon took a seat on the bed as well. “How are you today?”

It was a question she would ask every time she visited.

“I'm fine. Nothing bad can happen.”

It was what she would hear every time. “How about you? What’s new?”

“There is something. Not good, but not that bad either.”

“…What is it?”

“Hey, hey, don’t put on that worried look.” Kyungwon poked Minkyung’s cheek. “It’s just…I didn’t win anything on that film contest. The result came out a couple days earlier.”

“Oh, what a pity…Will it be held again next year?”

“Maybe, but I don’t think I’ll sign up again. Not so frequent. You know, it takes too much time and effort, and I have to happen to have an appropriate idea. It was a great experience though, I don’t regret doing this and I’m totally ok with the result.” Kyungwon made a face. “Earthlings don’t understand a master's work.”

“Yeah, sure, of course.” Minkyung laughed and also admired Kyungwon’s attitude. “Yours is the best in my opinion.”

“Thanks. Ah, I almost forgot…Remember the bushes on the path between the administration building and business building? They bloomed, and they are camellias!”

“Really? It must be so beautiful...”

“It is! I know you’ll want to see so I took a lot of pictures today.” Kyungwon zoomed in one of the photos in her phone. “This one is pink. And there are also purple and white ones. Which color do you like the most?”

“White. It’s the purest.” Minkyung smiled softly. “Wish I could see them in person and smell the scent before the winter ends. I heard camellias bloom the lushest in winter.”

Kyungwon frowned. “You’ll have to go out to do that. It’s not wise to leave the house in such a cold weather, Minky, even the strongest Kang Yebin wears two hoodies at home nowadays.”

Here we go again. “I really don’t have to stay in the house all the time, and it will take less than one hour…”

“We will talk about that when you are really getting better, ok?”

Kyungwon squeezed her hand as if to suppress her desire. “Whatever you want to see, I’ll take as many pictures as I can.”

Minkyung could only nod. She couldn’t deny the frankness Kyungwon showed that she wanted to protect her. She couldn’t ask them to treat her without any differences after everything.

It was evening when Kyungwon left and Xiyeon came back home. Minkyung wasn’t sure if they made some kind of deal, they would take turns to stay with her and she would not be alone for more than half of the day. She liked to be accompanied, she would always have things to talk or do with them, but she always felt a part of her heart was empty. And that didn’t cause by the time which ticked away every second.

Minkyung seldom cried in her bed after she entered college. She smiled and laughed more after transferred to Hanlin. That night, outside her room, Xiyeon’s hand glued on the door knob when hearing faint sniffing and sobbing. She would rush inside in the past, but that night, she just stayed behind the door and waited silently. Everyone needed their own spaces, and Xiyeon figured Minkyung would prefer not to be disturbed.

She stood there till everything quieted down. She waited till her own heartbeats were the only sound she heard in the darkness. Then she walked away as if nothing happened, leaving her sister alone with the long night.

***

The first day of the winter vacation was also the graduation day. Even if Nayoung still had her fifth year in Hanlin, every senior students’ graduation was held in their fourth year because most of them would graduate on time. Minkyung’s condition was ok that day, but the temperature dropped to 5℃ and the wind kept blowing that everyone’s cheeks turned red. In this case, it was impossible for Xiyeon and her parents to let her out.

“Hey, Minkyung unnie! It’s so good to see you!”

Kyulkyung’s exclamation exploded in front of her face the moment she answered the video call. “Can you see us? Can you see the background?”

“Yes, very clearly.” Minkyung smiled. Kyulkyung was filming at the doorway of the auditorium, the graduates and their parents were coming and going, ribbons, balloons, paper flowers and fresh flowers were everywhere.

“Nalong is dressing up, she’ll be here in a minute.” Kyulkyung looked to her right and waved. “Yewonnie! Bae Sungyeon! Come over and say hi!”
In merely seconds, two more girls dashed in her sight and made her smile wider.

“Minkyung unnie! We miss you!”

“I miss you guys too. So much.” She said sincerely. “Hey, will you buy a small bunch of flowers and give Nayoung unnie for me? And te

Please log in to read the full chapter