Time

Sunrise
Please log in to read the full chapter

Before everyone was aware, the weather had turned chiller, leaves fell from the branches one after another, hoodies and long jeans had become most of their everyday wears. Minkyung loved winter, but it was also the season she had to be cautious. Or she was asked to be cautious the most.

“Thermos?”

“Check.”

“Hot packs?”

“Check.”

“Scarf?”

“Ddiddi, I…”

“Wait, you should change into the red hoodie! That one is thicker...”

“It’s not even the coldest yet, Xiyeon.” Minkyung sighed and smiled. “Everything’s fine. I can handle it.”

They got off the car and walked into the school gate, the wind was blowing on their faces, creating a comfortable and soothing feeling.

“If I was strong enough,” Xiyeon mumbled, “I would definitely restrain you at home. Eunwoo and Kyla caught a cold and even Nayoung unnie started sniffing yesterday, everyone can be a virus launcher.”

“You’re overreacting.”

“I’m not!”

“By the way, Nunu took a day off.” Minkyung suggested, “Why don’t you go and take care of her? You don’t have classes in the morning, right?”

“…I can’t leave you alone.”

“I’m not alone.”

Xiyeon followed to where Minkyung was pointing. There Yebin was, waiting in front of the business building. She smiled widely when spotting them.

“I have my first two classes with Yebin and the second two with Kyungwon. And I will have lunch with the girls.” Minkyung urged with a soft tone. “You’re worried about her, aren’t you? She’ll be happy if you are there with her.”

Her sister was stuck in a dilemma so she gave her a loving touch on the cheek. “Go. The bus is coming. I’ll call you if there’s anything really happens.”

“Ok…I’ll let you know when I arrive to her dorm.”

Minkyung watched her sister jog to the bus stop right outside the gate, catching one that came every 15 minutes that could get her to the dorm Eunwoo shared with Kyulkyung and Sungyeon.

Stay with the one you love whenever you can. It’s too precious.

It didn’t take long for Xiyeon to get off at the nearest stop from the dorm. She went in the 7-11 down the apartment building to buy some instant foods before taking the elevator upstairs. Maybe Eunwoo wouldn’t have any appetite, but she had to make sure her stomach was not too empty.

The moment the door was answered, Xiyeon understood why Minkyung wanted her to come. Eunwoo’s eyes slightly widened, went from puzzled to surprised, and “bang”, Xiyeon’s back bumped onto the door frame when Eunwoo threw herself onto her, clinging her like a koala.

“N-Nunu…you’re suffocating me…”

She got Eunwoo to move her arms down a little but was still locked in her embrace. Not like Xiyeon didn’t like to be hugged like this, in fact she loved it, but she had to think of Eunwoo’s condition and the weather.

“You should go back to your room and lie down under the blanket.”

“Are you coming with me?”

“I will after I get you some hot soup.”

“I don’t need that. I’m not hungry.” Eunwoo tugged her cuff, indicating she wanted her to go with her now.

“You have to eat.”

Eunwoo knew she couldn’t say no to her stubborn girlfriend. She went back to her room first and lied down as she was told, the bed felt somehow warmer and softer than merely a few minutes ago. She waited, staring at the time on her phone, and about 10 minutes later, Xiyeon came in…barged in, to be precise, making Eunwoo sit up in surprise.

“, , it’s so hot!” The younger scooted to the night stand and putted down the bowl, spilling a few drops of soup out.

“You didn’t see the tray on the table?”

“There’s a tray?”

“There are two. And a pair of baking gloves.”

“Oh…”

Eunwoo snickered, grabbing her hand and pulled her to sit down. “You need to lie down more than I do. You are too tense.”

“But I have to feed you…”

“It’s probably scalding like magma now. We can wait for 5 minutes.” Eunwoo wiggled to make some space. “Come.”

Sighing, Xiyeon took off her coat and slowly settled down on the mattress. Eunwoo pulled the blanket to cover them both, found her hand and intertwined their fingers. They were lying face to face, Xiyeon’s eyes were crystal clear.

“You know, everyone reacts different when there’s something bothering them. Some frown, some murmur, and some fidget,” Eunwoo touched her cheek. “you become silent. You are not noisy…not that noisy, but you are not silent.”

Xiyeon remained silent. “Is this about your family?”

“…You can say that.” After a few seconds, she murmured.

“Your grandpa?”

“He’s asking me to grow up. Again.”

“CEO Park Xiyeon in the near future. It’s kind of y.”

“No, it’s not. It’s frustrated. Why can’t I live like a normal college girl? Why he can’t trust my dad that he…”

“What?” Eunwoo asked when Xiyeon paused.

“…He and I had talked and agree on this.”

“Your grandpa has his point.” Xiyeon looked up. Eunwoo was beaming at her. “But he cannot decide what kind of life you want. Besides,” Eunwoo pinched her cheek. “I don’t want you to grow up either. Not so fast.”

“You prefer me to be like this?”

“Of course. This side of you is exactly what made me fall for you.”

Xiyeon blushed slightly, buried her face in the pillow.

“You have the ability, Ddiddi. No matter what you choose in the end, you will be just fine. I know that. And I will always be here for you.”

Eunwoo held her when she snuggled to her chest. “You will?” Xiyeon’s voice was muffled, but she heard it clearly.

“Everybody will. I will, Minkyung unnie will, all of our stupid friends will!”

The tiny wince was missed, Eunwoo only felt Xiyeon’s arms tightened around her.

“Didn’t you say you want to feed me that soup?”

“Can we cuddle a bit longer?”

“Shouldn’t you be comforting me? I’m the one who caught a cold.”

“Oh, shut up.”

***

“I'm being serious,”

It was hard to remain a straight face when seeing their oldest friend’s expression.

“Who on earth got this costume for me!?”

As soon as Nayoung’s words finished, the other girls burst out laughing, even Minkyung, who usually being mature and stood on her side, was sniggering a little too loud beside the unboxed carton.

“Unnie, it’s robot! No one else can rock it!”

“Then how about you wear it?”

“No! It’s for you and only you!”

Nayoung smacked Kyungwon’s arm and kicked Yebin’s , the others were too far from her. It was impossible to win these younger ones, they must have rent this costume for her together and would make her put it on right here, right now.

“What are your costumes?” If she was gonna be embarrassed to death, the others must die with her. “You wear yours, I wear mine.”

An hour later, 4 of them (Nayoung, Eunwoo, Sungyeon, Xiyeon) were forced to put on their costumes on the way to the nightclub. Kyulkyung kept poking and pinching Nayoung with that playful grin on the shuttle bus, making the older sigh for the hundredth time.

“Do I look that funny?”

“Nah.” Kyulkyung clung onto her. “You are cute.”

“I can barely sit. Not to mention walk.”

“Can you say something with a robot tone?”

“…No.”

“Nayoungie, come on!” Kyulkyung pouted, “Just one sentence!”

Nayoung pretended to shoot her a glare and looked away.

“I love you, Kyul.”

“Again!”

“I love you, Kyul.”

“I love you too!” Kyulkyung lurched and hugged her tightly, arms circling her solid and bulky costume.

“Stop squirming, I’m gonna be sick.” Eunwoo, who was sitting next to them in a shiba inu suit, smacked Kyulkyung’s . “Why I ended up sitting with you two?”

Minkyung turned to look at the clamorous ones at the back. “So whose idea was it?” She tied her sister’s hair to a ponytail. “I guess it’s not you, spoiled princess.”

“Isn’t that obvious?” Xiyeon rolled her eyes. “Of course it’s Kyulkyung. But I can’t deny I helped a lot on picking that costume.”

“Eunwoo picked a nice one for you, too.” Minkyung giggled and played with the furry panda ears. “I know our department has this Halloween event, and these dresses are reasonable, but holding in a nightclub? That’s new.”

“That’s new to us as well. This is the first year we hold the Halloween event at a nightclub, other departments are all talking about this and some even buy tickets to come.”

“Which department do we co-organize with?”

“Public Administration. Which is why I’m not only getting this panda suit with two big ears on the big hood,” Xiyeon pulled out something from her bag. “but also this pair of dark circle glasses.”

“You cover your entire face.”

“Exactly. Cha Eunwoo will definitely be there, I don’t want him to come

Please log in to read the full chapter