Pulsing

Sunrise
Please log in to read the full chapter

Two months passed quickly, the weather had become warmer, the scent of summer was emerging in the air. Everything in school worked well, Minkyung had followed up the paces there and taken the courses she needed and she wanted, everyone helped her—she was thankful, she was also thankful that she already found the group she belonged.

She didn’t join the department’s student council, to Xiyeon’s relief, but she hung out with the girls often and would help them with the department’s activities whenever she could. Sometimes she felt like Hanlin was the right university for her, not Dongkook, it was like she was destined to be here and to be a part of these girls.

“Ok, relax, take a deep breath.”

Minkyung held back her laughter and did as Eunwoo said.

“What are you thinking now?”

“Um…Nothing?”

“Great!” She and Xiyeon recoiled when Eunwoo exclaimed dramatically. “This is what we call, a complete, pure, flawless mind for tarot.”

With a fast movement, a row of cards were displayed on the table.

“She’s been practiced this for two weeks.” Kyulkyung murmured. “This should be the first time the cards aren’t scattering everywhere.”

“Pick five with you left hand.”

Minkyung did as told once more. Eunwoo collected the tarots, lined them face up, and took out a note which Minkyung supposed had the meanings of the tarots written on.

“Ok, in the second half of this year…Wow! It says there will be some small problems in your studies, but as long as you believe in your instinct, you’ll do just fine! Have you considered signing up for any competitions the school is about to hold? There's a big chance you may win!”

“I told you, unnie!” Xiyeon nudged her. “You should give that singing stuff a try!”

“…I’ll think about it.”

“I’m telling Nayoung unnie to put your name on it!” Kyulkyung grabbed her phone and Minkyung’s eyes widened.

“But…”

“Don’t worry, she’s the department council’s president, it won’t cause her any problems!”

Clearly these kid didn’t see the point at all, whether they didn’t know or simply ignored. They are like this all the time, Minkyung sighed but snickered.

“You two finished? Because I haven’t.” Eunwoo tapped a finger on the table. “Here comes the best part. Your love life.”

Minkyung’s body tensed slightly and Eunwoo took it as a reaction of surprise. “The seed will…no, has already sowed, you will experience the sweetest love ever in your life…but you will have to deal with a tough choice.”

The others made sounds like “whoo” and “aww~”, which Eunwoo hurriedly explained this was “for reference only”.

“And what choice is that?” Xiyeon asked.

“Well, you have to pick another round of tarots to know. Do you want to pick another round, Minkyung unnie?”

“I think this is enough. Gotta go now.” She smiled. “Thank you, Eunwoo. It was fun!”

Minkyung and Xiyeon both had classes for the next two hours so they left before the bell rang. “Can I play?” Kyulkyung butted in, she and Eunwoo were the only two in the department council’s office.

“I was waiting for you to ask.” Eunwoo quirked her brow and Kyulkyung blushed. “Have a seat.”

***

“Here are your tickets. La La Land for two, 10:20am, seat number 4 and 5 in the fifth row. Have a great time!”

The couple left and with a relieved sigh, Kyungwon closed the counter and headed back to the lobby.

“Long morning?”

She just nodded and flopped down on the leather couch.

“Looks like the people here are increasing.” Kyla passed her a can of soda. “Should we be happy?”

“If boss gives us a raise, yeah.” Kyungwon took a sip and stood up. “The restroom should be pretty empty now?”

“Yeah, it is. Use the one on the second floor, Auntie Hyo is cleaning the first floor’s.”

Two of the three halls on the second floor were playing horror films, the screams and thuds sounded scary even from the snack bar. Even if Kyungwon worked at the movie theater, she never had a slightest thought of sneaked into a hall to watch a free show about how ghosts hunted human beings or how psychopaths played bloody games. Eunwoo and Sungyeon liked these types though, they sometimes came together and Kyungwon would buy them popcorns. She was washing her face when some light footsteps coming closer, she thought it was a random somebody, then a hand rested on her shoulder, causing her to almost the water from her nose.

“Kyungwon?”

Kyungwon looked up at the mirror, Minkyung was standing behind her and smiled when finding she did not mistake. She was in a stripe tee and black jeans, long hair scattering down her shoulders, looking good like always. Kyungwon realized her face was still dripping water so she grabbed over some tissue.

“H-Hi, Minky…When did you get here?”

“Around 8.” Minkyung chuckled, “Did I scare you?”

“N-No! I was just surprised…You’re here for movies, right? How come I didn’t see you at the ticket windows?”

“I want to ask you that too, you were not there when I came.”

Kyungwon tilted her head. “Ah, a stupid dude spilled his drink, I must have gone to help. What did you watch? I mean…it has already finished, right?” She gestured the lobby, indicated that they should talk in a more proper place.

“Yeah, I watched Inside Out, Xiyeon said it’s a comedy but I cried so hard at the final part! See? My eyes are still puffy.”

“Serious? You did?”

Minkyung pouted as Kyungwon laughed. “Is it funny?”

“Of course not.” Kyungwon had to suppress the urge of pinching her cheek. “I’m laughing because I finally find someone in common with me.”

“You cried too!?”

“At the final part. When Riley jumps off the bus and runs back home. Yebin’s still mocking me for this.”

“I bet she’s like Xiyeon and laughed through the whole film! Tsk, people like them can never understand us.”

“Savages, aren’t they?”

“Agree.”

There was some laughter before Kyungwon changed the topic.

“So um…you have plans later?”

“Probably not. Xiyeon is already worried that I came out alone in early morning, I think I’ll just go home.”

“Why did you come here alone so early then?”

“The matinee tickets are cheaper, and it’s the last day before Inside Out is off the screen.”

“…That’s it?”

“That’s it.”

“You’re seriously too cute.” Kyungwon blurted out before she could stop herself. “B-By the way,” She turned to the concession stand. “Have you had something to eat? Popcorn, munchies?”

“No, I went straight inside the hall.”

“You have to try this.” Kyungwon walked to the counter and Minkyung followed. She talked to the boy beside the beverage machine, fishing out a few bucks. Before Minkyung could figure what she was doing, she turned with a pair of expecting eyes and a candy bar in her hand.

“This is the best in the house, hazelnut chocolate. I never understand why so few people order it.”

Minkyung blinked, like she was comprehending what was going on.

“You’re always so nice to me. Thank you, Kyungwon.”

“Hey yo bigger Kang! Kyla said I can find you here! You fell into the toilet!? Or else what is taking you so…”

Yebin halted as she spotted Minkyung, a trace of embarrassment flashed through and mouth still ajar, making Kyungwon roll her eyes and Minkyung chuckle.

“Hello to you too, smaller Kang.”

“H-Hi, Minkyung unnie.” Yebin scratched the side of her head. “I’m here to pull Kyungwon unnie home.”

“I can see that. You finished your training?” They all knew Yebin had trainings on every Wednesday nights and Saturday mornings, she was also wearing her sport shorts.

“Yep, we had a match last night so I ended this morning earlier. We all need to rest a bit.” She threw her cousin an inquiring look. “You about done?”

“I need to change back to my clothes and get my bag in the lounge.”

“Ok, I’ll wait for you in the car. Are you leaving as well, Minkyung unnie?”

“Oh, yeah. I’m going to the bus stop down the street.”

“…You don’t have to.” Yebin’s orbs shined. “We can give you a ride. Right, Kyungwon unnie?”

“Yeah, sure, why not?” Kyungwon nodded to Minkyung. “We can save you some times and energies.”

“But we are not at the same direction…”

“No, we are not, but it’s not far either! That won’t be a problem.”

“Then I guess…” Minkyung smiled. “All right. Thanks guys.”

“You two go to the car first, I’ll catch up soon.”

The Kangs didn’t drive to school much, usually they would take the bus, but on weekends, when the bus shifts decreased, driving became a more convenient option. Yebin had the car parked on the street across the theater, they opened the doors, Yebin sat into the driver’s seat and Minkyung took the passenger’s beside her.

The car wasn’t big, the distance between them was quite close. Yebin sniffed in the faint aroma on Minkyung, she realized it was the first time they were alone in a small place. She didn’t know why she thought of this, and she didn’t know why she was feeling nervous.

“Did Kyungwon unnie give you that?”

The candy bar fell off when Minkyung put on her seatbelt. “Yes.” She bent down slightly to pick it up. “She told me it tastes good.”

“It is, and it tastes better after refrigeration, so I suggest you to eat when it’s still cool.”

“Is that so? I wanted to leave it to Xi…”Minkyung paused, thinking she probably shouldn’t have said it.

“Huh? Why?” Seemed like Yebin still heard it accurately. “You don’t like chocolate?”

Please log in to read the full chapter