Starting over

Sunrise
Please log in to read the full chapter

It was rising again.

Started from the bottom of the horizon, the hazy halo gradually appeared, lightened up the world and awoke a few early and sensitive earthlings. Minkyung was not one of them, she was not on the bed and in her dreamland either. She had woken up before the sunrise and stood in front of the picture windows, waiting for it to end the night.

“It’s still early.” A coat was put on her shoulders. She didn’t know her mom also had woken up. “You should get some more sleep.”

“I’m good, mom.” She gave her a small smile and looked out the window. “I’ve been watching this for years, but I’ve never got tired. It’s always so beautiful.”

Mrs. Park didn’t reply but held her daughter close. Her little girl, her little angel. She then peeked at the bulge on the bed, her second and youngest daughter, Xiyeon, was still sleeping with her puffy eyes. Mrs. Park knew this kid had cried for hours before drifting to sleep, because she herself couldn’t stop shedding tears for the whole night either. Compared with them, Minkyung was a lot more undisturbed, which only pained Mrs. Park more.

“Thank you for staying with me for so many nights, mom.”

“Silly.” Mrs. Park squeezed her body. “I can stay with you every night if you want, just like the old times. Remember you often had nightmares and always ended up coming to my room? And you just wouldn’t sleep until I promised you a hundred times that the monsters couldn’t hurt good kids like you?”

“Yeah…” Minkyung chuckled, the following words slipped out too fast. “Too bad that I’m not a kid anymore.”

She wasn’t meaning anything behind those words, but both of them recoiled a little.

Because she was hurt.

“You’re always a kid to me. You and Xiyeon, you two never grew up in the eyes of me and your dad.”

“Mom…” Minkyung turned to her mother, biting her lip. “You…know me, right? Will you support my decision?”

The past four months were tough for all of them. Mrs. Park caressed her pale cheek, the glitter in her eyes was visible under the daybreak. “I can’t say I fully support, and I’m still holding onto the hope that you will change your mind. But I understand. I believe your dad and Xiyeon will eventually understand too.”

Tears emerged at the corners of Minkyung’s eyes. She knew it was selfish for her to do so. It would be a lie if she said she didn’t feel guilty.

“I would do anything to keep you with us, I can’t imagine the days without you…” Tears escaped and her mom wiped them away for her. “…but I would never forgive myself if you are not happy. You know mommy can never resist your smile, right? So do what makes you happy and live the life you want, Minkyung. Let us have no regrets.”

With that, Minkyung hugged her mom tightly and buried her face in the crook of her neck. “It’s okay, don’t hold back.” Mrs. Park gently patted her back and up to her head. Her daughter had grown taller than her long ago, but the way she hid herself in her embrace while crying had never changed.

“My baby. My baby girl…”

***

“Yah! Didn’t Xiyeon say she’s gonna…”

“Quiet.”

Kyungwon stiffened when Nayoung hissed. They were in one of the media rooms of the library-- it was difficult to borrow, especially in the start of the semester and on examination weeks, but Kyungwon managed to get one for their own for 4 hours. She scurried over to close the soundproof door, ignored the glares that the students outside were throwing her.

“Jung Eunwoo, you forgot to close the door! Again!”

“It wasn’t me!” Eunwoo pouted at the corner. “I came with you and I’ve been here digging through these ancient books for almost two hours!”

“Um, unnie…” Kyla’s voice came from the other corner. “I think it was me…I forgot to close it when I came back from the restroom.”

“See? Why you guys always…”

“Fine, fine! I’m sorry, ok?” Kyungwon dodged Eunwoo’s smack. “So where the hell is Park Ddiddi?”

“Her sister has transferred to our school this semester. She’s probably helping her with those registration procedures.”

“Oh, I see. Those lazy asses in the offices, it took them two weeks to approve my venue application last time! They might spend a whole day on that, god bless them.”

“Her sister?” Eunwoo asked, “Her stepsister who studied in Dongkook University?”

“She only has this one sister, so yes.” Nayoung gestured Kyungwon. “I think she’s the same age with you.”

“So the rest of us should call her sunbaenim?”

“Geez, give me a break, Jung Eunwoo.” Kyungwon grimaced. “You never called me or Nayoung unnie like that!”

“Why did she transfer to our school?”

“Xiyeon said it’s more convenient. Dongkook University was too far from their home.”

“Oh.” It was a bit confusing, but Kyungwon didn’t read too much into it. “Come on, we’d better hurry. I don’t wanna miss the match.”

“Which department are they gonna play against by the way?”

“Business Administration.”

“Wow…their setter is probably a feet taller than Kang Yebin.”

“And the spiker is definitely two feet taller.”

Kyungwon laughed. “I’ll be a good person and not telling her what you have said.”

She carried a carton up, earning a concern look from Nayoung. “Can you handle it alone?”

“Yeah, sure. Brb.”

The media room was on the sixth floor, Kyungwon held the heavy box with both her arms and took the elevator to the second floor. She checked the categories before putting the books to the areas where they should be. She was about to stand on her toes to reach for a higher shelf when a rustling sound caught her attention. She moved a novel aside, her eyes rolled immediately as she saw through the small gap.

“Bang”, the couple stopped each other’s mouths and fixed their shirts hastily. Kyungwon heard them murmur, probably something like “I don’t want to get caught” or “Let’s go upstairs” before leaving, she picked up the book she dropped on purpose, sneered, and putted it back. es being lovey-dovey or even making out in the library was what she could never understand, quietness did not mean privacy, too bad that not some many people knew this.

Half of the books found their homes, leaving the other half, mostly magazines and academic weekly, which had to be set on the first floor. Kyungwon took the stairs this time, she was just two steps from the floor when a figure appeared out of nowhere, she didn’t pull back in time and bumped right into it.

“Oh, I’m so sor…Tsk, it’s you.”

The young girl whom she bumped into pouted with her arms akimbo. “Hey, what’s that face for? I deserve an apology, ok?”

“You wish. What are you doing here? I thought you were accompanying your sister?”

“She is.”

Kyungwon lifted her head up and saw a girl coming to them with a smile. She blinked once, twice, and gulped in embarrassment when she found herself staring at the girl like her spirit was drawn away.

“Kyungwon unnie, this is my sister, Minkyung unnie.” Xiyeon introduced. “Minkyung unnie, Kyungwon unnie. One of the dumbest of us.”

Kyungwon would have heard Xiyeon’s last sentence if she wasn’t busy hiding her awkwardness. Kang Yebin was right, she’s even prettier in real life…

“Nice to finally meet you, Kyungwon.” Minkyung shook her hand. “My sister talks about you a lot.”

“S-She does?”

“Yeah, we talk every night before going to bed, she always tells me about her days in school and what she does with her friends, so…” She chuckled sheepishly. “Though it’s my first day here, I feel like I’ve known you guys long ago.”

“It’s so good to have you with us.” Kyungwon said, her heart fluttered when thinking that Minkyung would be with them very often from now on.

“So have you two finished the registration?”

“Ah, I wish.” Xiyeon rolled her eyes. “Those lazy asses told us we have to wait for an hour due to some technical problems, I think I should get unnie’s library permission first so…here we are.”

“They always have technical problems. You need help find

Please log in to read the full chapter