Final epilogue - love, heart and soul

I left my heart in Hiroshima


Sungmin had just received an email for that job that he applied in Hiroshima Peace Museum, requesting him to come for an interview this coming Friday. With Kyuhyun's help previously, he had applied for a job as a planner for visual display, photographs and journals for the atomic bomb survivors.

"Means I have to fly to Hiroshima on Thursday afternoon... so I should apply for leave on Thursday and Friday. I need to let Kyuhyun know too" Sungmin was thinking to himself.

He messaged Kyuhyun about the interview and then booked his flight for the coming Thursday. Though it was quite last minute, he was lucky to find an available ticket at a reasonable price. The problem now is, what to tell his boss. Should he just say that he's going to Hiroshima to visit his son? Hmm, maybe, he would just say that. And it works! His boss easily approved his leave! 

He was all smiles when Kyuhyun waited for him at Hiroshima Station when he arrived by Shinkansen from Hakata. How he missed him! And it was just 2 weeks since they last met! They had hugged and Kyuhyun brought him home and later brought him out for dinner with Changmin, who couldn't wait to be introduced. 

"Really nice to finally meet you, Sungmin-ssi. Welcome back to Hiroshima!" 

"Thank you, but just call me Sungmin, please. Nice to meet you too!" 

"Wow, Kyu, no wonder you are so smitten!! He's a beautiful man!!" Changmin teased Kyuhyun when Sungmin excused himself to go to the gents. 

"Believe it or not, he works for my father!! What a small World, right?!" and Kyuhyun told him what happened. 

"Really? So you killed two birds with one stone!!! You met your father because you went to see Sungmin!!" Changmin said smiling but didn't discuss further because Sungmin was back. They ordered their food and talk about Sungmin's job interview, and gave him pointers on possible questions and taught him how to respond in Japanese, which Sungmin was so grateful. 

The interview was at the museum itself, so after breakfast with Kyuhyun on Friday morning, his caring boyfriend walked with him to the museum before taking a tram to his office.  Sungmin was grateful to Kyuhyun for everything. Last night he had trained Sungmin with some difficult Japanese words and the proper manners to greet the interviewers. And they had slept in each other's arms, where Sungmin felt so protected and peaceful with Kyuhyun next to him.

He was a nervous wreck while walking in to the interviewing room. He took a few deep breath to calm himself and think of Kyuhyun and all his advices. He felt better and became more confident. He could answer with ease and with his polite manners and constant smiles, the interviewers took a liking on him especially after viewing samples of his work including the latest article in Memories magazine about Hiroshima that he brought along.  He was selected for 2nd round of interview, and thereafter  he was asked to proceed to another room to wait for the senior levels to come in. 

Kyuhyun texted him to ask if everything was ok and was happy to hear that Sungmin was selected  for 2nd round of interview. He called him to give some words of encouragement. 

"Just relax, answer with confidence and always be polite. The senior levels will basically ask the same questions, but will include salary and when you can start work" Kyuhyun told him over the phone. 

"Yes, I think so. Kyu, how do I say that resignation rule is a month so the earliest that I can start work in a month's time?" Sungmin asked. He feels like taking a crash course in Japanese since last night. 

Kyuhyun taught him how to say in Japanese and reminded him to enquire about application for employment visa, whether the Museum will handle it for him or he has to do it himself. 

All went well during the 2nd interview, until one question that one of the interviewer, which was the Director, asked him whether he is married. 

"Gomen'nasai?" Sungmin asked as he wasn't sure what the question was about. 

"Anata wa kekkon e imasu ka? Anata no jinsei ni manzoku e manzoku e iru to kanjite irukaradesu" (Are you married? Because I feel that you are happy with your life and contented) the Director asked him, smiling. 

Sungmin recalled "Anata no jinsei ni shiawase" as "Happy with your life" in one of the lessons that he read from his Japanese language learning book. 

"Hai, watashi wa Hiroshima de tokubetsuna hito ga irukaradesu"
(Yes, because I have someone special here in Hiroshima) Sungmin replied, suddenly feeling a bit shy.  He hope he had say it correctly. 

"Ā, anata wa kekkon e imasenga, sudeni tokubetsuna hito ga imasu ka? Sore wa yoi!" (Oh so you are not married but have someone special already? That's good!) the Director smile and nodded his head. He likes Sungmin's attitude, his polite manners, and was genuinely happy that he has someone here in Hiroshima, meaning that he will be happy staying here if they decided to give him the job, and Sungmin could speak Japanese, though he can still improve a lot more. And the plus point is, he can speak Korean and English, which is good for the tourist. 

He was asked to wait outside while they discussed, and when he was called in again, they told him that he was successful and congratulated him. Sungmin was jubilant and bowed a few times to thank them for giving him the opportunity to contribute his services to the museum. 

A lot of paperwork was done, including the application for employment visa, confirming his address in Hiroshima, his passport details and the date he could start work. Sungmin felt like everything went like a daze. He was overwhelmingly happy and couldn't wait to share the good news with Kyuhyun. 

Sungmin texted Kyuhyun to say that he would wait for Kyuhyun at Hiroshima Station in the evening. He refused to tell Kyuhyun the news yet, and just mentioned that he needed a happy food to cheer him up. 

Kyuhyun felt sad that Sungmin might be unsuccessful in his 2nd interview, and was thinking fast on whether he should look for other job opportunities for his boyfriend. He really wanted Sungmin to stay with him in Hiroshima as he couldn't bear the separation anymore. 

Sungmin wanted to have dinner at Namaste at Hiroshima Asse, and ordered mainly Kyuhyun's favorites. Kyuhyun was baffled and was already thinking how to consol his boyfriend. 

"Min, tell me how was it? It's ok if you are unsuccessful. There are other job opportunities here, you know" 

"Hmm, i don't think I want to apply other jobs here" 

"But I want you to be here with me. I can't bear not to see you everyday and I....." 

"Kyu, is your long term plan now, include me?" 

"Of course, you are part of my life now" 

"I need to tell you that....."

"I can't let you continue staying in Seoul. I can't bear the separation anymore coz it hurts. Maybe I go back to Seoul and work there, so that I can be with you"

 "Ohh but you can't. Because you need to stay here...."

"Not without you"

"With me...." Sungmin said smiling and added "Kyu, I actually got the job!"

"What?? Ohh and you deceive me all these while??!!!!" Kyuhyun feign angry and wanted to spank Sungmin. He was actually very happy and wanted to hug and kissed Sungmin to death!!

Sungmin laughed out loud and showed his tongue to Kyuhyun to . "Yes I got the job, Kyu, and it's all thanks to you!! So I want to treat you tonight to share my happy news!!"

"Congratulations, my love, and I am truly happy!" he said and they started eating. Of course he wouldn't let Sungmin pay for this. It should be his treat to congratulate his boyfriend.

"But Kyu, I am not sure how your father will take my resignation news. He might be angry and what if he disapprove our relationship? I don't want to be the cause of your father's unhappiness"

"Let me know once you have given him the letter, and I will call him to explain. Don't worry so much. My happiness is his priority now, and he will surely be happy for you for securing this job"

"Ok, I hope that everything will go well. I can't wait to start work here Kyu, and to be with you everyday. It's like a dream come true!!!" 

"Me too, I can't wait for you to stay with me because it was a torture not being able to see you!! Hmm, I will register and get you a phone with Hiroshima number, and open a savings account for you in Sumitomo Bank.  Foreign residents and travelers can open a bank account as long as they hold a Residence Card or driving licence. Once you have gotten your Employment Visa, you will get your Residence Card too".

"Ok, thank you so much Kyu. I don't know what I will do without you!!" 

"What are boyfriends for??" Kyuhyun said softly, winking his right eye. "It's just that I hope you don't mind if Changmin joins us once in a while, because I'm his closest friend in Hiroshima. He travels to Kobe a lot for his work, so only when he's back here, we will meet up for dinner". 

"I don't mind really. Changmin-ssi is a nice guy. Actually I feel that I'm the one intruding your future meet-ups with Changmin-ssi". 

"Nah, to him the more the merrier because I'm a boring guy haha. He's straight so when he talked about pretty girls that he met during his training in Kobe, I was always not interested, so he always scolded me for not listening to him. He would say 'can you at least pretend that you are interested??'" Kyuhyun laughed, remember Changmin's scoldings. 

"He doesn't mind us in a relationship right?" 

"No, he doesn't, so don't worry about it. We have been friends since high school and he knew about my preference since university days"

"That's good. By the way, Kyu, if I calculate the foreign exchange conversion from Yen to Won, there will be about 20% increase in my new salary!"

"Wow! Good for you!! Or maybe my father has been paying you very low..... haha" 

"No, no, my current salary is enough. I'm happy that I have a higher salary here, at least I can share your apartment rental with you" 

"You don't have to. I'm happy enough that you will be staying with me. To see your face everyday will be such a bliss!"

"Then, I will cook and do the cleaning. We can eat together at night, don't have to waste money eating outside"

"Very well my lovely other half. It's a deal!" Kyuhyun smile and high-five with Sungmin.

The following week was very stressful to Sungmin. He handed his resignation letter and was called in to his boss' room. After explaining that he liked Hiroshima very much and the job was interesting and challenging, and of course above all else, his decision to work there is to be with Kyuhyun, his boss finally relented and understood his decision. Mr Cho gave his blessing and said that he will write a very good testimonial for Sungmin as he really treasured Sungmin as his staff.

If breaking the news to his boss was stressful, breaking the news to Donghae was worst! Donghae was practically crying and hugging him and didn't want to let go, because Sungmin will be so far away from him and that he lost a very close friend.

After 2 hours of explaining to Donghae, the said man finally calmed down and acknowledged that Sungmin will be starting a new life in Hiroshima with someone that he loves. And when Sungmin suggested that Donghae visit Hiroshima during Christmas holidays and that Sungmin himself could bring him around, Donghae was practically jumping for joy!!! He had always wanted to visit Kobe as well as Hiroshima and with Sungmin working there, he now has a reason to really plan for the trip!!

It was a mixed feelings on his last day at Memories office. They treated him with a farewell lunch and before he left office, everybody hugged him and wished him all the best for his new life in Hiroshima, and Mr Cho promised to visit him and Kyuhyun during the new year. 

Though Sungmin felt sad to leave the office who had given him so much working experience, opportunities and the best colleagues, he was looking forward to his new life in Hiroshima, to be able to work in a place that he like, and to be with Kyuhyun whom he had learn to love so much. 

And when he arrived at Hiroshima Station with his luggages, his heart skip several beats seeing Kyuhyun waving at him and welcoming him with his smiles and open arms. 

Yes, he had left his heart in Hiroshima, and now, he is here, where his heart and soul truly belongs.