Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park

I left my heart in Hiroshima

Hiroshima's annual flower festival was held annually along Peace Boulevard and in Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park itself. This year, it was held from 3rd May till 5th May, and Sungmin surely wouldn't want to miss it. He planned to watch the parade at the Peace Boulevard first, then he would proceed to the Peace Memorial Park. 

He read in a brochure that there would be concerts, dancing shows, fashion shows, talk shows, and traditional and contemporary performances which featured  local citizens performing Yosakoi dance along Peace Boulevard, which was happening now. Sungmin busied himself with his camera and handphone to take videos and snapshots to post in his IG. He also got to know that there would be Candlelight services with peace messages and origami cranes folded by school children, and Mikoshi Kagura would held peace concert later that night. 

Wow, that means, he would be here all day! Maybe he would go somewhere to look for lunch, and then would come back to the Memorial Park again. 

He was looking around at Hondori shopping street for food. While checking his phone for incoming messages since there were WiFi here, he bumped into something. Or someone. Again! 

"Oohhh, gomen nasaii. Ahhh, Ā, sore wa anatadesu!" it was the tall guy again, and he was talking something with a surprised tone! 

"Chottomatte" Sungmin quickly type something in his phone to translate, and show it to the guy "Gomen'nasai, wakarimasen", which means, "I'm sorry, I don't understand". 

The tall guy smile politely and said in English "It's okay. I was surprised that it was you. You must be touring here. Where are you from?" 

Sungmin smile back and said "Hi, yes, I'm from Korea. My name is Lee Sungmin" and Sungmin gave out his hand for a handshake. 

The tall guy looked surprised, and said in Hangeul "You are a Korean?" and this time, it was Sungmin who was surprised because the Japanese guy talked in his native language! 

"I'm sorry for my manners. I'm Cho Kyuhyun, and I am a Korean too" Kyuhyun accepted Sungmin's hand and gave a firm handshake. 

"Really?? I thought you are a Japanese. You spoke the language very well!"

"Ahh, thank you. I worked here for 3 years already, so that's why" Kyuhyun laughed. "Sorry if I take up your time. Were you touring at the Peace Memorial Park?" 

"Yes, I was watching the Flower parade just now, and was thinking to find food for lunch, after which  I will go back there to take photos of The Memorial Park. Are you on your lunch break?" 

"Today most offices are closed in the morning till 2pm for the festival because most buses and trams are not in service. I stayed around here, and I'm buying lunch before I go to my office. If you don't mind, do you want to lunch with me, Sungmin-ssi?" Kyuhyun asked with caution. He was not sure why with this guy, he felt at ease and easy to talk to. 

Sungmin thought that he heard wrongly! Kyuhyun, the super gorgeous guy that he admired since he arrived, invited him to lunch with him?!! Ohmygod! "Of course I don't mind! I must thank you instead because I don't even know what to eat."

"Let's go to Ootoya Hiroshima Hondori. It's nearby here and you can walk back to the Peace Memorial Park easily from there".

"I go with whatever you recommend, Kyuhyun-ssi" Sungmin said and started walking after Kyuhyun lifted out his hand to show the way. He admired Kyuhyun for embracing the Japanese culture. The majority of Japanese are very polite, humble and respectful. And Kyuhyun was exactly that. 

While walking, Kyuhyun showed him some souvenir shops in Hondori and  told him that each shop are unique, meaning they don't sell the same thing. Sungmin took note of these shops so that he could come back here tomorrow to get some souvenirs for his colleagues. 

Ootoya Hiroshima Hondori are famous for their Teishoku, which are Japanese style set meals. Sungmin loved it. The food were tasty and the set meals were not expensive. 

"You are here for tour or for work?" Kyuhyun asked while munching a squid. 

"Both! I worked for a magazine and I'm here to cover the Atomic Bomb story, and was asked to take photos of the memorial park. I wish I could stay longer but I'm flying back on Sunday" Sungmin said with some regrets. Indeed, he wished he could stay longer to get to know Kyuhyun, errr, no no, to tour more places in Hiroshima. 

"I see. So you are free tomorrow and Saturday? Where do you plan to go?" 

"I was rushing through the week and have no time to plan, actually. I read about Miyajima Island, Hiroshima Castle but that's about it. I haven't really plan where to go" 

"If you don't mind my company, I can go with you to Miyajima island on Saturday. I'm working tomorrow morning, so I'm afraid you have to tour alone. But if you are around Hiroshima Station, I can meet you for lunch. 

"I would love to, but I don't want to impose on you, Kyuhyun-ssi"

"No, no, it's okay, really. My best friend is in Kobe, so I have no company too". 

"Is Hiroshima Castle far from here?" 

"Not really. It's at the other end of the Peace Memorial Park. I suggest you go to Hiroshima Castle tomorrow morning, then I can meet you for lunch. I can take the afternoon off and bring you around".

"Are you sure I am not imposing on your time?" 

"Let's just say that I'm looking forward to my off day haha. I'll message my boss now" and Kyuhyun really took out his phone and started messaging. 

Sungmin felt so touch that Kyuhyun wanted to accompany him. A stranger in a foreign country who are willing to help! He thank God for this. 

"It's done! I can take tomorrow's afternoon off! Too bad I can't apply leave tomorrow morning because I have a meeting with my client" 

"I'm already so thankful that you are willing to show me around. Where is your office Kyuhyun-ssi?" 

"Just call me Kyuhyun. I worked at Momiji Bank Hiroshima, near Hiroshima Station. Been working there ever since I decided to work and stay here. Do you want more drinks, Sungmin-ssi?" Kyuhyun asked after noticing that Sungmin's glass is empty. 

"Call me Sungmin. I have enough, thank you. I worked for a magazine called, Memories. Besides photography, I do write ups on those places that I took photos, interview people to get some history or background and do my own editing and photoshop"

"That's interesting! You got to move around and visit places". 

"Yeah, but tiring at times, especially if it's near to publishing time" Sungmin wipe his mouth and look at his watch "I think we better go? You still need to travel to your office". 

"Yup. Let's go. We are going to the same direction. I'm going to the tram station, and you can just continue crossing the road to the Peace Memorial Park" 

"Oh that's great"

"What's your handphone number, Sungmin?" Kyuhyun asked while taking out his phone. And Sungmin love hearing how Kyuhyun pronounced his name in his rich baritone voice. He took Kyuhyun's phone and key in his number, including South Korea's country code. Then he pressed his number to get a missed call from Kyuhyun's phone. 

"Thanks, message me if you are done touring Hiroshima Castle tomorrow ok. Do you have pocket WiFi?" 

"Yes I have. It's so useful!" Sungmin laughed. 

"Great. Too bad I can't meet you for dinner tonight. I have a dinner appointment with my boss and our major client" 

"Don't worry about it. Most probably I will come back here to find food" Sungmin laughed. 

They part ways and Sungmin crossed the road to enter the Peace Memorial Park, heading to the Atomic Bomb Dome ruins. He turned back to wave at Kyuhyun who was still waiting for his tram and waving at him too. 

Tomorrow! They will meet again tomorrow and Sungmin felt like his heart was going to burst from happiness and he was so looking forward to it. And he has Kyuhyun's number! Ohmygod! Things are looking good so far! Sungmin smiled and took out his camera to start his journey at the Atomic Bomb historic sites.