Epilogue 3 - being together

I left my heart in Hiroshima

Sungmin was surprised that Mr Cho knew about their relationship.
"Boss, how did you knew? I'm so sorry I didn't tell you anything"

"Seemed that I still know my son very well!" Mr Cho smile at Kyuhyun. "You must be very special to him, Sungmin, that's why he came all the way here to find you. But it's good for me because I found him back. Anyway, we can talk later.  Let's go. I'm hungry!"

"Let's go, father, and Sungmin" Kyuhyun smile and put his arm around his father. He didn't realised he missed his father so much. Indeed, his father understood him perfectly, since last time. 

While they were having dinner, Mr Cho asked Kyuhyun how was his life in Hiroshima and his job in the Japanese office. Kyuhyun told his father how wonderful Hiroshima is. Their people are close knitted as they all protect the atomic bomb survivors and many even volunteers to keep the atomic bomb peace memorial park clean and beautiful. 

Every year, many survivors and their families will make their annual pilgrimage to Hiroshima Peace Park on 6 August. That evening, they will release lanterns along the Motoyasu river – where previously, thousands fled to escape the heat of the nuclear blast in 6 August 1945 – to send messages and “guide” the spirits of the dead back to heaven.

In his office where he works, Kyuhyun said that his Japanese colleagues uphold Japanese culture very seriously and always respect each other. Even his own boss is humble and always think of his staff welfare. 

"It's true Mr Cho, when I was in Hiroshima, I was amazed at how humble the local people are. I didn't get that kind of feeling when I was in Tokyo. I felt very peaceful and safe, and happy to be there. And Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park is sombre and peaceful,  serene and beautiful. You can just sit at the park and feel the peace around you. Maybe that was what the people want. No more nuclear bomb and no more sufferings" Sungmin chipped in. 

"I couldn't wait to visit Hiroshima myself!!!" Mr Cho said, smiling happily. 

"You can stay at my apartment, father. Chwang and me can bring you around and we can have dinner at all our favorite places" Kyuhyun chuckled. Changmin would surely feel happy for him for reconciling with his father. 

"How is he, by the way? He met me last year for a drink but he has to go off to catch his plane". 

"He's promoted to Trainer so he has to train new staff in both Kobe and Hiroshima. I went with him twice to Kobe and ate the Kobe beef. It's out of this world!! Really melt in your mouth!!" Kyuhyun still remembered the delicious tender meat of Kobe beef. "Father and Sungmin, I can bring you to eat Kobe beef one day if you visit us. It will surely be a meal to be remembered!!!" he laughed followed by both his father and Sungmin. 

"Really? Wow, I must try it!!" Sungmin said. 

After dinner, Mr Cho said he was tired and wanted to go straight home. Kyuhyun promised to come over to their house before we went back to Hiroshima. Sungmin followed him back to his hotel to spend more time with Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun remembered what he wanted to ask Sungmin. He saw it on his way back home a day before he fly off to Seoul. But he is not sure whether Sungmin is ok with it, since they had just started their relationship and became boyfriends. Furthermore, Sungmin did say that he didn't mind long distance relationship.  But no harm trying, right? 

"Oh yes Min, I want to ask you whether you would like to work in Hiroshima? I saw a job opening in Hiroshima Peace Museum, hmm, it's for a planner for visual display, photographs and journals for the bomb survivors. When I saw that, I straightaway think of you" Kyuhyun told Sungmin when they were relaxing in his hotel room, drinking wine. 

"Oh it sound so interesting, but Kyu, I can't speak the language fluently. I will surely lose out during the interview" Sungmin said sadly. To work in Hiroshima and be together with Kyuhyun is like a dream come true! 

"You can submit the application first, and take up some basic Japanese language here. I can teach you too. But I am not sure father would allow you to resign though. You are one of his best staff, I assume?" 

"All the others are good too, actually. Donghae, Jungsu-hyung, Jongwoon-hyung and Shindong all have their own caliber and very professional"

"Good, so maybe he wouldn't mind if you go, if you can get the job, I mean". 

"But if I get the job, I need to find accommodation" 

"What do you mean by that? Of course you will stay with me" Kyuhyun smile. He is dying for them to be together every single day. 

"You are ok for me to stay with you?" 

"Sungmin, I am asking you to stay with me. I cannot live without you".

Sungmin smile "Is that your confession of love?" 

"Yes, I love you very much. I missed you a lot after you left. And as I said before, it is not enough just to talk to you over video call or just to listen your voice" Kyuhyun put down his wine glass and took Sungmin's glass as well, and pull Sungmin into his arms. 

"I love you too, Kyu. You complete my life and I missed you too, every day".

"So will you consider applying for that job, and if successful, come and stay with me in Hiroshima? I will help you with all the paperwork for applying for employment visa. But I hope I am not rushing things. We just started our relationship..." 

"Yes, Kyu, I will apply for that job, and no, you are not rushing things because I can be together with you" 

"Great!! I will forward you the advertisement and you send in your application? I took a photo of it and went to the website. The application form is in both Japanese and English" 

"Ok that good. I will apply then" Sungmin smile happily and hugged Kyuhyun. 

They kissed and hugged again and talk about life in Hiroshima till late. Sungmin called a cab and left but promised to go together to visit Kyuhyun's home the next day since he is not working on Saturday. 

Apparently, Mr Cho had move house and no longer staying at their old house. It was too painful for him and since Kyuhyun has left, he don't need a big house. Kyuhyun and Sungmin managed to find the house based on the  address given by Mr Cho and rang the bell. 

"Kyuhyun! And Sungmin!! Come in, come in!!" Mr Cho happily invited them in. 

Kyuhyun no longer recognise his home now that his father had moved. There wasn't any family picture or even his mother's picture around.

"Father, you threw away all our family photos?" Kyuhyun said sadly. 

"No, Kyu, I kept them. It's too painful for me to see your mother's picture. I missed her a lot but I feel guilty everytime I see her picture. I practically killed her" Mr Cho started tearing. Kyuhyun walked over and hugged his father. 

"Father, what happened are all in the past. You made a good decision by shifting to a new house. You have a new life and a company to take care of. Mother will forgive you and give her blessing". 

"Will you visit me again, Kyu? I really missed you, my son" 

"I missed you too father. Yes, I will visit you again, I promised"

Sungmin is happy that father and son reconciled again and that Kyuhyun's father didn't oppose to their relationship. But maybe when he himself gets the job in Hiroshima, it will be a different story!! He might oppose!!! 

Sungmin submitted his application for the job on Sunday morning with Kyuhyun's help, before Kyuhyun flew back to Hiroshima. Both of them were sad that they have to part ways again. 

"Min, all the best for your application. Let's look forward to be together again in Hiroshima!!" 
Kyuhyun hugged Sungmin at the airport feeling sad that he would be away from Sungmin again. 

"Thanks Kyu, have a safe flight back. Text me once you reached Hakata, ok". 

"Ok, bye Min" Kyuhyun squeezed Sungmin's hand and then waved at him before checking in. 

Sungmin felt empty again and already missed Kyuhyun. He need to drop by a church to pray that his application got accepted so that he could be together with Kyuhyun again. 

In Memories office the following week, Donghae asked Sungmin whether he could borrow his calculator. 

"Just help yourself Hae" Sungmin said, pointing to one corner of his desk. He was busy editing this month's issue of Memories. 

Donghae walked over to Sungmin's desk to take the calculator, but his eyes landed on a book "Japanese for Beginners" on Sungmin's desk. 

"Heyy Min, you are learning Japanese?" 

"Ahhh yes, heehee" 

"Boss ask you to shoot photos in Japan again?" 

"Errr no..." 

"Ohh, you just learn for fun!! Wow can I learn too?!!!" 

Sungmin felt guilty hiding things from his close friend, Donghae. Donghae is always there when he needs someone to talk to and Donghae is always willing to help. 

"Hae, actually, ermmm, I applied for a job in Hiroshima...." 

"What??? Why???" 

"I like it there and, err, remember last Friday, there was someone looking for me?" and when Donghae nodded his head, Sungmin continued "He was the one I met in Hiroshima and we like each other, and he came here just to confess his feelings to me and to ask me to be his boyfriend. He's a Korean and his name is Cho Kyuhyun" 

"Wow!! Your prince come all the way from Hiroshima!!!! But I thought boss went to that meeting room too?" 

Sungmin was contemplating whether he should tell Donghae that Kyuhyun is actually their boss' son.  But things would be complicated to explain if Donghae got to know from their boss. So he told Donghae everything and Donghae, due to too many info to take in within that few minutes, just couldn't close his mouth after his jaw dropped. 

"But boss didn't know that you send a job application to a firm in Hiroshima?" Donghae managed to close his mouth and asked more questions. 

"Not yet, but I will have to tell him eventually, especially if they call me for an interview" 

"Sungminnie, I am happy that you found someone that you like, and now finding work there so that you can be with him. But I am sad if you go. Don't go.. Don't leave me..."