then, baby, there's no reason to stop loving you

"Maybe."

Jihyo was having a hard time being anywhere near Mina lately.

 

“You know, I didn’t tell you that you were sorta gay so that you would ignore her,” Sana tells her one night after finding Jihyo pacing around their living room.

 

Jihyo lifts up her head like a deer caught in the lights, but quickly remembers how to take the attention off of her and put it on someone else. “What are you doing up?! We have a show tomorrow!”

 

“Correction, you have a show tomorrow,” Sana says casually while getting a bottle of wine from the fridge. “Dubu and I don’t.”

 

“Do you know what time it is?” Jihyo asks slowly, approaching Sana carefully as if she doesn’t want to scare her off. “Why are you drinking so late?” she asks all worriedly. “Did something happen?”

 

“Stop changing the subject,” Sana says with a yawn, finding a random coffee mug and pouring wine into it. “You and Mina. Why are you avoiding her?”

 

“I’m not avoiding her,” Jihyo defends herself, “She just makes me feel weird lately, okay?”

 

At that moment, Dahyun walks in, all sleepy and blurry-eyed. She goes to the fridge, bumping into Sana in her sleepiness, but manages to get a bottle of water successfully.

 

Sana nods, pouring wine into the mug. She takes a sip from it, and it looks so jarringly weird to Jihyo that Sana’s drinking expensive wine out of a coffee mug. “You know what I think? I think you should tell her.”

 

“How am I supposed to do that?!” Jihyo grumbled. “She’ll probably think I’m weird or something.”

 

Dahyun looks between them, feeling a bit awkward about walking into this conversation.

 

Sana breathes in a laugh. “No, she wouldn’t think you’re weird. If she did, she’d find all of us weird.” Sana pauses for a moment to think. “Especially Jeongyeon and Nayeon, but she just laughs at those two’s antics.”

 

“You do have a point…” Jihyo admitted. “But-”

 

“You don’t need to come out to her, Jihyo,” Sana explains boredly, “You just need to talk to her. She’ll understand that you need time. Just don’t pretend that everything’s fine when it isn't, and don’t try to push her away either.”

 

“What if… What if these feelings grow?” Jihyo asks tentatively, fearing the answer.

 

 that,” Sana says with a wave of her hand, “Are you really gonna push Mina away just because you’re scared of your feelings? Are you gonna ruin your friendship just because you’re afraid to get hurt? Jihyo, you’re the one hurting her when you push her away.”

 

Jihyo wants to tell Sana off for cursing, but she can’t help but be a bit proud of how mature Sana is being. Jihyo remembers a couple years back when Sana came to her with all these worries about Dahyun, trying to push the younger girl away so these feeling would leave with her. She can’t help but smile, suddenly realizing that Sana has grown into her advice.

 

But, on the other hand, Jihyo doesn’t really wanna take it.

 

Jihyo sighs, frustrated and just wanting her heart to chill so that this wasn’t such a big deal. “Ugh, how did you deal with this when you found out you were gay?”

 

“Not well,” Sana answers nonchalantly, moving her mug a bit and seeing the dark swirls of wine.

 

This catches both Dahyun and Jihyo by surprise. Sana’s definitely the most confident out of all of Twice when it comes to her uality, always flaunting it and being proud of it.

 

Sana just watches the swirls of her wine, a feeling of longing in her heart. “My parents were accepting, though.” She glances up to Dahyun but looks away quickly. “I guess that’s more than most have,” she adds in a low voice, saying it more to herself.

 

“How did you…” Jihyo tries but doesn't know how to word it. “How did you get- get used to it?”

 

“Can I be honest with you?” Sana says all of a sudden, putting the mug of wine down on the kitchen counter. The question sounds like it’s directed to both Jihyo and Dahyun.

 

“Sure?” Jihyo answers, unsure of where this conversation is going.

 

“I’m not,” Sana says simply. It take a couple seconds for her to continue. “I never really, truly, accepted that part of myself. I’m not confident in my feelings. I don’t really want to be this way.”

 

It just manages to confuse Jihyo more. “But… But you’re always so proud of it?”

 

“It’s easier that way,” Sana replies with an unreadable expression on her face. “It’s not like I can do anything about it, and I don’t want to worry anyone. It’s just easier to pretend I don’t care when I do.” Sana downs all of the wine in a single gulp. She stares down at the empty mug. “Sometimes I wish I wasn’t like this. Isn’t that the saddest thing you’ve ever heard?”

 

“, unnie, do you want to talk about it?” Dahyun asks, speaking up for the first time in this conversation.

 

“Yeah, I never knew you felt this way,” Jihyo adds. All her worries about herself are gone now that she needs to take care of her member. “You shouldn’t keep that bottled up. Talk to us, okay, Sana?”

 

Sana shakes her head.  She doesn’t look up. “I’m sorry.”

 

“You don’t have anything to apologize for, Sana,” Jihyo tells her.

 

Sana shakes her head again. She grabs the bottle of wine and takes a swig directly out of it. “I actually don’t have tomorrow off,” she says with a sheepish smile, “I have an interview.”

 

~

 

It’s an early morning interview, so Sana’s hangover is a total .

 

Ugh, my head hurts,” Sana mopes, laying her head on Dahyun’s shoulder. She hasn’t been as clingy lately so Dahyun’s a bit surprised.

 

“You probably shouldn’t have drunk so much last night,” Dahyun chastises her, but pets Sana at the same time.

 

“I feel bad for Jihyo,” Sana mentions casually, “She seemed to be struggling a lot with it and she’s coming to me for advice and then I’m the one telling her that I’m not happy with myself. It’s basically like telling her that she won’t be happy with it.”

 

“You’re worrying too much, Sana,” Dahyun comforts her. “Don’t feel bad for what you’re feeling, okay?”

 

“You should take your own advice,” Sana says underneath her breath, and there’s so much pain coated in those words. “Jihyo should too. You know all the stuff I told her about not pushing Mina away? She told me that before, but look at her now.” Sana sighs, pushing herself off Dahyun. “Everyone should take their own advice.”

 

“Are you okay for the interview?” Dahyun asks all of a sudden, seeing how Sana seems to be a bit too high-strung.

 

Sana yawns, having to hide behind the sleeve of her sweater. “Can you answer most of the questions for me?” she asks, looking way too adorably sleepy.

 

Dahyun gets the intense urge to just hug her really hard and squish her face for being so cute. “Sure,” she says in a high voice, obviously not able to contain that odd feeling of affection she has.

 

~

 

As it turns out, Dahyun doesn’t need to answer too many questions for Sana.

 

“...gay?” the interviewer asks like he’s scared of the word.

 

“Gay,” Sana agrees, nodding her head.

 

 

~

 

“Well, that was a trainwreck,” Sana says while drinking a cup of hot chocolate.

 

Dahyun’s wallet is crying over how expensive that drink was. “Unnie, why did you make me buy-”

 

“Because I’m sad and expensive things make me happy,” Sana answers without missing a beat, looking up from her side of the table. “Oh, we should order cake while we’re here! I think there’s a special, too.”

 

Dahyun sighs, but gets up anyway.

 

When she goes to order a cake, she suddenly realizes that the café is filled with a surprising amount of couples. When she looks at the specials displayed over the counter, she manages to find the one Sana was talking about. Then Dahyun notices that it’s a couple’s special… But that cake looks incredibly appetizing to Dahyun, especially since she didn’t have breakfast this morning. Dahyun returns to her table.

 

“Get up, I need you,” Dahyun tells her, pulling her out of her seat.

 

“You do?!” Sana exclaims.

 

“Yes, and we’re girlfriends,” Dahyun says nonchalantly, walking towards the counter.

 

Sana suddenly stops in her tracks. When Dahyun looks back to her, about to ask why she stopped, Dahyun sees that Sana has a deep blush on her face and is completely speechless.

 

“Now’s not the time to get shy, now’s the time for cake!” Dahyun pulls her along with sudden strength, managing to make her move.

 

“Oh, you must be here for the couple’s special,” the manager of the place speaks up, noticing the two of them.

 

“Yes!” Dahyun exclaims immediately, putting on her brightest smile. “Please feed us cake!”

 

The manages laughs at that and goes to get them their slice of cake.

 

“...Dubu?” Sana says after a moment, a bit of urgency in her voice.

 

“Cake, cake, cake!” Dahyun chants at her, excited over it.

 

Sana smiles, deciding that they can talk about it later. “Ah, you do realize that a special just means you pay less, right? You still have to pay a bit.”

 

“Don’t ruin this for me, Sana,” Dahyun pouts.