anyways

"Maybe."

"Listen, I’ve been avoiding telling you this for a long time now, but I'm not looking for a relationship right now."

 

Dahyun stares blankly, more than a little confused at Sana's sudden confession. They had been talking about cupcakes two seconds earlier, Dahyun is sure of it, so how did this topic somehow come up? Not wanting to seem rude, Dahyun nods in agreement, keeping her facial expressions neutral. “Okay?”

 

Sana’s eyebrows crease together, unsatisfied with Dahyun’s blank action.

 

In an attempt to fix whatever mistake she must have made, Dahyun looks away from Sana’s oddly intense gaze before speaking up. "Makes sense—I mean, you've got your whole career ahead of you, why throw it all away for something so fleeting?"

 

Sana just stares, eyes wide, a mix of surprise and relief and shock painted all over her face. It almost makes Dahyun’s wonder if her answer had been insulting in any way.

 

"What?" Dahyun asks after Sana stays quiet for a few awkward seconds.

 

"I'm... surprised. You handled that a lot better than anyone I've had to tell that to."

 

"Hmm?" Dahyun raises an eyebrow, though a quick image of Momo being uncharacteristically moody a few weeks back passes through her brain. Ignoring the thought, Dahyun’s still confused as to why Sana felt like she owed Dahyun an explanation about the status of her love life. Dahyun's pretty much unrelated to the subject. "What do you mean?"

 

Sana purses her lips, her surprise being replaced by the worried little glint she previously had when she first informed Dahyun. "It's just, well, I know you like me."

 

"Do I now?" Dahyun asks with a little more snark than intended, becoming more confused by the second. In asking it, though, an even more confusing thought passes through with more honesty than snark. Do I?

 

"Wait, you don't?" Sana’s face contorts into genuine shock—and maybe a little shame over assuming incorrectly—but before an apology can leave her lips Dahyun continues.

 

"I don't like girls, unnie."

 

Sana just stares at Dahyun like she’s not sure how to answer. Then she starts laughing like she just heard the best joke in her life, a pleasant sound that's more than a little rude but still cute enough to make Dahyun’s heart skip just a few beats. "Oh! Good joke, you really got me there! For a moment I thought I had read you wrong—"

 

"I'm not...?" Dahyun starts, unsure of how to phrase it. "I'm not joking? I really don't like girls, unnie. They're so hard to work with, I'd hate every moment."

 

Sana laughs even harder, her voice loud and reaching a few pitches higher than what a typical human being laughs like. It takes her a moment, but she stops, her expressions changing once again into that of realization. She looks back up to Dahyun with a deep pity in her eyes.

 

"Sweetie..." Sana starts with, her voice airy, putting a comforting hand on Dahyun's shoulder. "It's okay, you don't have to lie to me."

 

"I'm not gay, Sana," Dahyun declares further, determined to establish how not gay she is (though there’s a part of Dahyun that greatly appreciates how close Sana is right now.)

 

"Dahyunnie... You flirt with every girl that gives you attention and I once saw you have an existential crisis when Momo almost kissed you. And that was just fanservice."

 

"So? That's just cuz flirting is fun for the fans. And everyone has an existential crisis when Momo’s about to kiss them regardless of gender.”

 

Suuure.” Sana continues to look at Dahyun with a lot of empathy, her knuckles lightly caressing Dahyun's cheek and earning an audible squeak in Dahyun's breathing.

 

"I didn't mean to do that!" Dahyun states immediately, referring to the squeak, unable to look away from Sana’s eyes. Sana is just too mesmerizing for her own good.

 

Sana lets her hands fall back to her sides, giving Dahyun more space so Dahyun could process what's happening. "I'm gay, too," Sana all about sings, "Girls are really pretty. You think so too, don't you?"

 

"Well, yeah," Dahyun answers in a defensive tone, unable to deny the true facts of life. "That doesn't mean I want to date one."

 

"What about kissing? Kissing is always fun. That’s how I found out."

 

Curiosity gets the better of Dahyun. "Wait, you’ve..."

 

"Girls kiss so much better than boys, it’s unbelievable!” Sana states, remembering a few experiences from her high school years. “Or maybe I’m just biased, but I promise you it’s a beautiful experience! Boys tend to be really rough and forceful, but girls are so gentle and they kiss so softly the first time. And when they pull away from a kiss they blush shyly and they're always so cute… They leave my heart pounding and make me want to hug them all the time. Gosh, why are girls so cute?”

 

Dahyun nods along, staring at Sana's animated expressions of wonder when she's talking about girls. At least that’s something they can both agree on.

 

“It should be impossible but there’s so many cute girls I wanna kiss and take out on a date." Sana sighs longingly, suddenly missing the dating scene she had previously confessed to be avoiding. "Unfortunately, it's been a while since I've kissed a girl."

 

Dahyun just shrugs her shoulders, having no experience and therefore not really knowing how it feels missing it. "Really? How long?"

 

"Almost two days!" Sana exclaims. "I'm touch-starved, Dahyunnie..." Sana dramatically fakes crying, hugging Dahyun like she never wants to let go.

 

"Didn't you say that you didn't want a relationship though?"

 

"Yeah, but I still wanna kiss pretty girls." Sana presses her lips together in a half-pout. Dahyun’s not getting the point. Nor is she taking a hint. "Have you ever kissed someone, Dahyunnie?"

 

"Not romantically and not with a girl. I once did for a dare, but that's about it." Dahyun can see that Sana's about to continue asking questions, but Dahyun is determine to conclude her position in the matter. "Anyways, I'm not gay. Sure, I never date anyone but that doesn’t mean that I’m secretly gay."

 

This time, Sana does a full-on pout. To Dahyun, Sana looks especially cute to the point that Dahyun kinda wants to squeeze her really tight and maybe cuddle for a few hours. Maybe.

 

"Do you ever think about it?" Sana asks, voice a little lower, almost seductive if Dahyun didn't know any better.

 

"About what?"

 

The corner of Sana’s mouth lifts up in a quick little smirk. "Kissing a girl?"

 

Dahyun sighs, but glances at Sana's lips. She swipes a quick tongue over her own without meaning to, feeling suddenly parched. Sana seems a little bit too close to her now, arms holding her in place, and Dahyun's not so sure how to react anymore. "Considering how you're making me think about it, now I am."

 

"I feel like I need to teach you about it," Sana says bluntly, tilting her head a bit. She’s blatantly staring at Dahyun's lips now. "You know, as your gay unnie and all."

 

"About being gay? I'm not—"

 

"Trust me on this, Dahyun,” Sana says, leaning closer. “You already know about being gay, you just haven't realized it."

 

"W-what? How does that sentence make any sense? I'm not even gay to begin with? You're confusing me, Sana."

 

Sana's eyebrows creases. "Really, I'm the one confusing you? You're one of the gayest girls I know, how have you not noticed that?"

 

Dahyun just shrugs, knowing she doesn't have a suitable response that could convince Sana.

 

Sana continues, "So you're either the gayest straight girl alive or you have some soul searching to do, Dubu."

 

Dahyun can't help but lean in a little. She doesn't initiate anything, but now when Sana speaks, her breath is brushing Dahyun's lips and it's making Dahyun a bit lightheaded.

 

"Do you wanna kiss me, Dahyun?"

 

Dahyun purses her lips. "Well..." Dahyun sighs tiredly, "You're making me think about it."

 

Sana leans in, closing the gap between them, placing her lips on Dahyun's in a sweet touch that's surprisingly a lot softer than Dahyun expected kisses to be. Dahyun deepens the kiss, shifting herself closer to Sana until she’s almost in her lap. The kiss leaves her head spinning and she’s not thinking things through, which is why Dahyun swipes her tongue on Sana's lips before noticing what she's doing. She pulls away then, a hand immediately over in shock despite Sana trying to pull her forwards again.

 

Dahyun looks down, an absolute blushing mess that makes Sana question whether or not being in a relationship with someone again would be all that bad. Dahyun might just be the only exception.

 

"Not gay?" Sana asks tentatively, tilting her head and trying to catch Dahyun's gaze again. Her heart's going a little faster now and it honestly feels a bit scary.

 

"S-shut up..."

 

"I can do that in various ways, which one do you prefer?" Sana asks with all the confidence she's grown up to have, earning all of Dahyun's attention and a few smacks on her arm.