i heard a rumor that you're...

"Maybe."

Dahyun finds Sana outside looking at the sunrise. She knows not to look at the older girl for too long or else her heart will feel weird, and after their conversation a few days ago, Dahyun doesn’t want Sana to be right. Dahyun’s not gay gay, just… only a little gay… for really pretty girls who look really pretty without trying... Dahyun’s stubborn by nature, so who could blame her? But now that she’s watching the wind ruffle Sana’s hair and the soft tones of the sky reflect on Sana’s skin, Dahyun’s starting to realize that not letting Sana be right on the amount of gay in Dahyun is going to be a lot harder than she expected. Wait, does that even make sense? At this point, Dahyun’s too confused to think about something for more than a few seconds.

 

They arrived less than an hour ago and Dahyun’s feeling all the weight of air travel. Her head’s a little woozy, but she’s not really sleepy even though she hasn’t properly slept in the last 24 hours. She tries to convince herself that the only reason Sana looks unnaturally pretty right now is because Dahyun’s head is a mess, but Sana would probably look unnaturally pretty anyway and it’s so unfair for Dahyun’s poor little heart.

 

“I have a problem,” Dahyun speaks up suddenly, spooking Sana.

 

“Dahyun!” Sana jumps and turns, her eyes oddly wide. “H-how long have you been here?”

 

“Not that long, I just got out of the shower.” Dahyun’s eyebrows furrow at how suspicious Sana is being. “I thought you were already sleeping?”

 

Sana looks back at the sky. “Yeah, but then I’d miss the sunrise.”

 

Dahyun’s looking at Sana instead when she says: “It is really pretty.”

 

Sana walks away from the railing and pulls Dahyun towards her. “You’re not even looking at it…”

 

Dahyun smiles, biting her lower lip. “Fine. You caught me.”

 

Sana simply places her arms over Dahyun and turns them both to look at the sunrise. Shades of yellow are starting to overwhelm the reds, though the night sky still hasn’t completely woken up yet. Dahyun can’t help but like this, being with Sana and watching the lazy morning wake up. It’s almost romantic.

 

Sana’s too close.

 

“I have a problem,” Dahyun repeats, gently pushing Sana’s arms away. “Can I talk to you about it?”

 

Sana pouts at her skinship being rejected but still nods, putting her hands in her jacket pockets.

 

“Momo’s mad at me.”

 

Sana can’t help but chuckle, “Well, why?”

 

Dahyun sighs. “She thinks the reason why you rejected her confession was because you like me instead.” She paces a bit. “No matter what I tell her, she thinks we’re hiding something. She won’t believe me when I tell her we’re just friends.”

 

Sana tilts her head in thought. “We did kiss, though. Are we hiding that?”

 

“Yeah, but that wasn’t with feelings or anything,” Dahyun says without thinking about it.

 

Sana moves back towards the railing, staring at the sky with that distant look again. “I guess it wasn’t for you,” she mumbles quietly to herself. Then, a little louder, “Friends don’t usually make out like they’re teenagers though. Well, unless they are  teenagers, but neither of us are teenagers.” Sana winks. “Now, when it comes to being-”

 

Dahyun coughs loudly, and then pretends to make a sign of the cross for good measure, whispering dishonest apologies.

 

Sana just laughs at Dahyun’s reaction.

 

“Stop it!” Dahyun pouts without noticing she’s pouting, “Be serious for a moment!”

 

“But I don’t want to be...” Sana complains, jutting out her lower lip. “It’s no fun if I’m serious all the time!”

 

“But you’re never serious in the first place!” Dahyun scolds.

 

“Fine, fine…” Sana says while laughing. “Fine, if it’ll make you that happy then I’ll be serious for a moment, Dubu.”

 

“Thank you.” Dahyun smiles, not entirely believing that it worked. “I think.”

 

Sana thinks for a moment on what’s a serious conversation she can have. “These past few days, everyone’s confessing to me,” she sighs dramatically. “Well, everyone but you.”

 

Dahyun bites her bottom lip. “I’m straight, so don’t go expecting that to change.”

 

“It’s so exhausting,” Sana continues. “Our dating ban is almost over and it’s like every guy I meet thinks he has a chance with me.” Sana crosses her arms in front of herself. “It’s like they think the only reason why I rejected them in the first place was because of the ban. They should pay more attention to the rumors.”

 

Dahyun raises an eyebrow. “Rumors? Which rumors?”

 

“The gay ones,” Sana explains and she’s never sounded so upset while saying the word gay. “Like yeah, those rumors are rude and invasive, but there’s some truth to them.” Sana continues in a lower voice: “Especially the ones that pair me with you.”

 

Dahyun decides not to comment on her inclusion in Sana’s gayest rumors. “Maybe they don’t pay attention to the rumors? Some of them are really far-fetched, and most of those dating rumors usually end up just being fan speculation or something.”

 

Sana’s pout deepens. “They could have at least googled me.”

 

“They probably think it’s just fanservice,” Dahyun tries.

 

Sana sighs exaggeratedly. “Sometimes I forget that my actions are always seen as an act rather than me being my most genuine self. When I say I love someone it’s because I really do, not because I think it’s good for my image or something.”

 

“You do come off as playful, though,” Dahyun explains, snaking her hand over Sana’s arms and intertwining their fingers. “With me, you’re always trying to kiss me because you know I’m awkward with public skinship. It’s really just a game.”

 

Sana looks directly into Dahyun’s eyes and says, “Sometimes I wonder when it stopped being a game.”

 

Dahyun clears , feeling her entire face heat up to the tips of her ears. “A-anyway, what about the girls?” Dahyun asks, deciding that’s it’s about time to steer this conversation back to where it started.

 

“You mean the Twice girls?” Sana asks, and she actually stops to think about it for a moment.

 

“No!” Dahyun says loudly, a giggle in her words. “I meant girls in general. Are you getting confessed to by any girls recently, unnie?”

 

“A couple, but no one I’m too interested in.” Sana looks up and meets Dahyun’s eye again.

 

They’re too close again. Always too close, Dahyun can’t help but think. She finds herself glancing at Sana’s lips, wanting to close the gap between them. Sana doesn’t do anything, only smiling fondly at Dahyun and waiting for the younger girl to act.

 

“There is this one person I want to try dating,” Sana admits, her voice soft and almost shy if it was ever possible for Minatozaki Sana to be shy. “But they’re always pushing me away.”

 

“Really?” Dahyun wishes her heart didn’t beat faster at hearing that, wishes she didn’t know that Sana was talking about her. “I thought you didn’t like dating?”

 

“I don’t, but she’s the exception.”

 

“Is it okay if I do something really stupid?” Dahyun asks, biting her bottom lip.

 

Sana’s eyes are bright and her smile turns mischievous. “Only if it means I win.”

 

“Win what?” Dahyun asks, playing dumb and slowly inching closer.

 

“Win your heart,” Sana says and puts her hands on either side of Dahyun’s face. She’s the first one to make a move, just like last time.

 

If their first kiss felt like too much all at once, this one feels like it’s not enough.

 

Sana’s gentle, slow, barely even moving against her. It’s almost as if she’s afraid of doing more. She savors the touch, pushes and pulls and playfully bites Dahyun’s bottom lip. Then she tilts her head back and it’s over.

 

Dahyun takes a moment to react properly, but then she’s putting her arms over Sana’s shoulders and pushing their bodies closer just for the sake of being close.

 

 

fun fact: i first knew about Twice when i googled my name randomly cuz me and sana have the same first name and she appeared.

funner fun fact: i've been writing a lot of saida lately so i may have skipped sleeping enough hours and then i met up with a friend who said, "hi sana!!" and my brain thought about Twice before it remembered i, too, also exist.

subscribe so you don't miss the next chapter!!

find me on twt @sonhyewolf