because i think i'm falling

"Maybe."

 

 

It’s the first day to start filming Twice’s new MV and everything’s hectic. The girls keep getting distracted with the pretty set, which normally wouldn’t be a problem if only they would stop walking into the camera or accidentally break the props. Something falls onto the ground, and the staff just sighs when Sana apologizes for it.

 

Right now is supposed to be their individual scenes before the dance sequence. Dahyun is supposed to enter a maze, lost in her surrounding but walking quickly with a purpose. She’s wearing a pure white dress and her makeup is simple and gentle. She looks like an angel.

 

After filming the scene of her entering the maze, she takes a break as the staff moves the cameras and the lights.

 

“Strawberry?” Sana offers when Dahyun joins her at the side of the set. Dahyun eats it without thinking twice.

 

But then the director is sighing. “Dahyun-ssi, your makeup is smudged now,” the director yells out for what feels like the tenth time today, snapping her fingers as a way to tell Dahyun to hurry up. “Sana, stop feeding her! It keeps smearing her lipstick.”

 

“I’m supposed to smudge it for the MV anyway,” Sana argues while Dahyun bows her head at being dismissed.

 

Dahyun leaves to the makeup room again, a bit glad that she has an excuse to escape. She sits down as the makeup artist narrows her eyes, trying to determine what’s wrong this time. It doesn’t take long for Sana to come by again. They haven’t really spent much time away from each other since filming started.

 

“I feel stressed,” Sana says as she plops down on the chair next to Dahyun’s, somehow shrinking into the fabric like she’s melting onto it.

 

“It’s just the MV, we’ll get through it,” Dahyun reassures her, turning away from the fuss the artist is making over needing to perfect Dahyun’s lipstick again.

 

“MVs are easy, but it’s tomorrow that I’m worried about,” Sana admits, thinking about how they both get romantic scenes together.

 

Dahyun takes out her phone from her pocket. She frowns at her screen before putting it in her pocket again.

 

“Have your parents called you yet?” Sana asks, curiosity getting the best of her.

 

“Maybe they just haven’t heard about it,” Dahyun tries to justify the silence. “Right? It has to be that.”

 

The makeup artist, seeing all this, decides to gently pat Sana’s shoulder before ducking out of the room.

 

Now that they’re alone, Sana’s smile falls. “I’m sure it’s fine, Dubu, you don’t need to worry.”

 

“They wanted to come see me perform in our first music show for this comeback,” Dahyun says in a low voice, like she’s trying to not let that hurt her. “I don’t think they’ll come now.”

 

“Hey, don’t think like that.” Sana gets up from her seat and kneels down in front of Dahyun, lifting her face up to see her. “They just need time, okay?”

 

Dahyun nods slowly.

 

There’s a loud knock on the door. “Sana-ssi, can you please come out?” their director calls out in the nicest passive-aggressive voice ever.

 

“I already did,” Sana yells out, but she’s also holding Dahyun’s hand and rubbing soft circles over her skin. “How did you forget? South Korea hasn’t forgotten yet. It's all the idol news will talk about.”

 

Sana-ssi.” The director seems to get even more annoyed, in a breath. “We’re doing the group shots, too, so please bring Dahyun-ssi with you.”

 

Sana smiles when she walks away. “Your makeup looks pretty,” she tells Dahyun with a soft smile. “How does mine look?”

 

“Beautiful,” Dahyun answers without hesitation.

 

“Beautiful enough to make you fall for me?” Sana flirts casually, winking when Dahyun looks at her. She kisses Dahyun softly before pulling back and standing up. “Ready to go?”

 

Dahyun looks at her in a daze, before nodding. “Yeah. I think. Maybe?”

 

“Maybe what?”

 

Dahyun leans in, pecking Sana's lips before getting up. “Is it smudged?” she asks innocently.

 

“A little,” Sana says, rubbing the tip of Dahyun’s lips with her thumb.

 

Dahyun kisses her again, a little deeper this time, but pulls back quickly. “How about now?”

 

“Definitely,” Sana giggles, standing up again. “I’ll call the artist back.”

 

“Wait.” Dahyun grabs Sana by the collar of her shirt, pulling her back down. This time she hesitates, taking a moment to look between Sana’s eyes and her lips, before finally kissing her. It’s one of their softer kisses, gentle and caring and loving. So, so loving.

 

Sana smiles afterwards. “That was a good kiss,” she says in a low voice, like she’s talking more to herself than to Dahyun.

 

Secretly, she likes that more than their more desperate, wanting kisses. Something about feeling like there’s no one but the two of them, nothing but the love they have. Like it’ll last forever and they don’t need to rush with everything. It’s cheesy, but she can’t help but like it when it’s with Dahyun.

 

~

 

“Good job, everyone!” Jihyo looks at each of her exhausted members proudly. “We managed to finish early, so-”

 

“Let’s celebrate with food!” Momo interrupts her. All the other girls agree with her, except for Jihyo.

 

“But if we start doing tomorrow’s scenes, then we’ll have less work tomorrow!” Jihyo tries to persuade them, but they’re all getting up and leaving with Momo.

 

“Let’s get drunk!” Sana cheers, pumping a fist into the air.

 

“But we have work tomorrow-” Jihyo tries to interrupt.

 

“That sounds like a tomorrow problem,” Dahyun tells her as she passes by, yawning into her sleeve.

 

Jihyo looks at each of her exhausted members proudly.

 

Jihyo looks at each of her excited members disappointedly.

 

~

 

It’s four am when they get back to their dorms.  Sana, who had surprisingly not drunk that much alcohol when they were out, manages to convince Dahyun to walk onto the balcony.

 

“I’m...” Dahyun tries to say but is interrupted by a yawn, needing to cover with the sleeve of her oversized sweatshirt, looking extra cuddly. “...sleepy.”

 

“I can tell,” Sana giggles, squeezing Dahyun’s hand. “Wanna practice our scenes?”

 

Dahyun laughs. “You just want an excuse to kiss me!”

 

“Of course I do,” Sana laughs with her, putting a hand on the side of Dahyun’s face and gently caressing her cheek with her thumb. “You’re beautiful.”

 

“Stop it!” Dahyun giggles, though she leans into Sana’s touch. “Shouldn’t we be clingy in public instead?”

 

“Ah, but this is more meaningful,” Sana pouts.

 

At that moment the lights go out, the darkness spreading from their dorms to the buildings around them.

 

“Oh, there’s a blackout?” Dahyun walks back to the door, trying to open it. It stays locked. “Wait, Sana, did you accidentally lock us out?”

 

“Hey, don’t blame me!” Sana says while also trying to open the door. “Maybe it locks automatically when the electricity goes out?”

 

Dahyun groans. “Great. What now?”

 

“We can practice our scenes?” Sana says while wiggling her eyebrows.

 

“Oh, fine,” Dahyun gives up. “All of them or just the kiss scene?”

 

Sana laughs softly. “I think we have enough practice for the kiss scene. I was thinking we should practice the slow dance scene?”

 

There’s a buzz as the backup generators start, a single light shining on the middle of the balcony. Dahyun tries to open the door again, but it stays locked.

 

“Are you sure you didn't plan this?” Dahyun asks, raising an eyebrow as she stares up at the light. It suspiciously resembles how the scene of the slow dance is going to look like.

 

Sana puts a hand on her heart. “I swear I didn’t! The world is just naturally romantic.”

 

It takes Dahyun a moment to process that Sana didn’t shiver at the idea of romance and that she’s actually using it to describe them. She smiles and takes Sana’s hand again. “Do you have the song on your phone?”

 

Sana nods, pulling it out and quickly finding the song titled Take My Hand. The cheery sound of the opening starts playing but Sana skips to a bit before the bridge. She puts the phone down.

 

The typically happy sound divulges into a slower melody. There’s something so emotional about it, as the song becomes something closer to a ballad between lovers. There’s this hopelessness to the soft sounds, each second feeling like the heaviness of time running out.

 

Dahyun instinctively closes her eyes, feeling the music spread through her as she holds Sana close, slow dancing in the dark. They move in sync, each step careful and caring at the same time. Sana moves her hand from Dahyun’s shoulder to her back, pulling her a little closer before Dahyun starts letting go as the bridge begins to end.

 

Don’t let go,” Sana sings, following the lyrics. Her and Dahyun’s entangled fingers let go, slipping out of each other’s grasp.

 

Dahyun steps out of the light, a smile on her face at how well they’re doing so far. Sana stands alone in the light, smoothly spinning around with a hand outstretched as she tries to catch the hand of her love. She stops, closing her hand into a fist, and sits down on the cold floor of the balcony when she realizes that her love isn't coming back. She looks so alone as the bridge ends. The cheery music continues again, the chorus playing with added emotion, the happiness of it sounding more like longing than having.

 

Take my hand, say you’ll never let go,” Dahyun sings as Sana goes to grab her phone again.

 

“I’ll never let you go,” Sana giggles, looking down at her phone.

 

These feelings are growing, tell me it’s love,” Dahyun continues singing. It’s not even her line, it’s Sana’s, but it’s normal for them to learn how to sing each other’s parts.

 

“It’s love when it’s you,” Sana answers in a normal voice.

 

The song finishes. “I think I’m starting to fall for you, so don’t let me go,” Dahyun continues to sing, though no music plays. It's not a lyric of the song. She sits down next to Sana.

 

~

 

The next morning, the entirety of Twice feel like , but especially Sana and Dahyun.

 

“So let me get this straight-” the director starts with, a low growl in as she begins to scold the group.

 

“You’re the straightest one here so I expect nothing less from you,” Sana interrupts her, a much too bright smile on her face.

 

Dahyun laughs softly, but smacks Sana’s arm. “Hey, you’re gonna make it worse.”

 

The director sighs, giving up on them. “Jihyo-ssi!” she says suddenly, noticing the oldest member trying to sneak away. “I trusted you! What happened?”

 

Jihyo laughs awkwardly. “Funny story, actually…”

 

“Gays make bad decisions,” Nayeon says, saving Jihyo’s from potential embarrassment. “And we haven’t had a rest day in so long!”

 

“You had one three days ago,” the director deadpans, unamused with Nayeon’s argument.

 

“Besides, look at Saida!” Nayeon points at the sorta-kinda couple. “They can’t act for their scenes when they’re so sleepy. Let’s just move the schedule and call today a regretful mistake that we will never repeat again.”

 

“It’s the second time you guys do this for this comeback,” the director deadpans again, staring pointedly at Nayeon, but sighing because she knows that she won’t be able to not let them have their way.

 

~

 

Nayeon and Jeongyeon are too sleepy and hungover to even make it to their rooms, instead settling down to cuddle on the sofa. They’re cute together, if only they weren’t so all over each other that Jihyo ended up trying to turn the younger ones away from needing to pass through the living room while Sana laughed at her futile attempts.

 

Chaeyoung and Tzuyu could care less, more focused on giggling to themselves for no reason but just because they feel like it. They stumble upstairs, hand in hand, not saying a word to any of the members.

 

Momo takes an embarrassing picture of Nayeon and Jeongyeon, making sure to capture how grossly together they are with each image she takes. She tries not to laugh, not wanting to wake them up accidentally. Mina just watches her, even passing her own phone to Momo so that she can save this moment on two different devices.

 

Jihyo downs her third cup of coffee for the morning. “I’m so tired,” she says, and there’s a certain caffeinated and murderous aura about her that has Dahyun take a step back and bumping into Sana.

 

“Not my fault,” Sana says automatically at Jihyo’s annoyance. She slips her arms over Dahyun’s, cuddling her from behind like it’s the most naturally thing to do. Which it kinda is.

 

“Yes, it is your fault, Sana,” Jihyo growls. “You’re the one who started giving everyone shots!”

 

“I didn’t take any so how can you be sure that was me?” Sana tries to argue.

 

“There’s video evidence,” Jihyo deadpans, sounding extra murdery. “Isn’t that right, Dahyun?”

 

Dahyun swallows nervously. “Yes.”

 

“Dubu!” Sana pouts, taking a step back so that she isn’t cuddling into the younger girl anymore as punishment.

 

Dahyun misses her touch, though she would never admit that. “I mean, no?”

 

“Dahyun.” Jihyo narrows her eyes at her. “Don’t fall for the devil’s charms or the village will kill you.”

 

Dahyun’s too sleepy to comprehend what the hell Jihyo just said, let alone understand the threat, but she knows that it’s probably best if she leaves. “Oh, look at the time!” Dahyun points at the back of her wrist, which does not have a watch. “I should get going!” Dahyun’s almost at the living room when she remembers something. “Come with me, Sana?” she says but it sounds a little more like a question.

 

Sana smiles, surprised at Dahyun’s request. “Sure.”

 

Jihyo looks between them. She opens to say something, but thinks better of it and decides to just down the rest of her coffee.

 

 

i might update again tomorrow but No Promises. i hope you enjoyed this chapter! i'm glad you've liked this story to continue it so far uwu