Crystal Fox

High Hopes

"You're playing again?" Amber's mom asked weakly when she came out of her bedroom.

"Have I been bothering you?" She knew the guitar was probably loud with the thin walls and tried not to play when her mom was sleeping, but she was pretty much only home when her mom was sleeping, so it was difficult to be both considerate and get guitar practice in as well. Maybe she should play outside somewhere. 

"No, sweetie. Come here." 

She knelt down next to her mother's side, being flooded with the scent of sickness and medicine. Amber could barely remember the times when her mother had smelled of life and perfume. And she couldn't remember what her father smelled like at all. 

Her mother touched her face with her hands. "I was so worried when you stopped playing. You can't live your life only for me. I'm glad you started again. I wish you would go to school too." 

"Mom..." 

"Your sister-" 

Amber shot her a sharp look. Yes, she had an older sister by three years who'd run away, leaving the burden completely on Amber to take care of their mom. She'd said she was going off to make her fortune somewhere, but Amber hadn't heard from her since. She prayed she was still alive, but she didn't know what she would do if her sister ever showed up again. Cry? Shout? 

Her mother sighed. "Either way, I'm glad you're playing again. Play as much as you want as loud as you want. We need some sounds to brighten up this dreary house anyway." 

Amber admired her mother's resilient humor. It was often what helped get her through the day. 

She kissed her mom on her cheek. "Thank you, mom. I love you." 

"I love you too, sweetheart. 


"What's this?" Krystal asked, looking down at the little box the bookstore cashier had given her. 

Amber rubbed the back of her neck. She'd been on her way to work and had passed a number of street vendors. She didn't know how to express her gratitude for Krystal sparking her desire to do something for herself but had seen some cute phone charms on display. A tiny little fox one made from pink crystal had caught her attention, so without thinking about it too hard, she'd bought it. It was silly and cheap and the girl would probably throw it away the minute she was out of her sight, or right in front of her, but she'd purchased it any, and even tossed in an extra fifty cents for a little gift box. 

"Umm...I can't really explain it, but I want you to have it." 

"Are you asking me out?" Krystal asked suspiciously. 

Amber laughed and shook her head. "Of course not." Krystal's eyebrows rose in offense. "I mean...you're pretty and everything but...this is getting inappropriate," Amber sighed. "Can't you just take the thing. It's a small gift." 

"I just like to know why I'm getting things," Krystal huffed. "We barely know each other." 

Amber raised her eyes to the ceiling and groaned. Why does she have to be so difficult? "Alright, fine. I haven't been doing much in my life that I wanted to do for the past few years, but you looking so excited about getting your books for your classes made me want to start doing something for myself again," she explained quickly on one breath. "There, that's my explanation. Like I said, no big thing. Now, will you take the damn present?" 

Krystal was looking at her with wide eyes and Amber realized she'd been shouting by the end. Her face flushed with embarrassment when she noticed she'd cursed as well. 

"...can I at least get your name?" Krystal asked, trying not to laugh at the chagrined expression on the red-faced cashier. 

"Embo Yu." 

"Embo?" Krystal chuckled but picked up the box. "Thanks. Don't try to get my number later. I've been really comfortable studying here." 

Amber rolled her eyes. She wasn't even a little bit interested. 


Krystal bit her lip when she sat at her study desk, a little nervous about opening the box. Isn't this how it happened in dramas? A really cute poor guy in a bookstore tries to make your heart flutter with little gifts until before you know it you're running away from your wealthy life to go garden with him on Jeju Island? Not that she spent any of her time watching dramas of course. 

She took the silky white ribbon off the box, then pulled the lid off. She almost let out a squeal of delight at the cute little fox present. 

She also gasped when she realized it was made from crystal. A knock-off crystal, but clearly the guy had been thinking about her name when he bought it. 

It was an adorable present but she had to make sure the cashier knew she'd just accepted it to be nice. She didn't want to lead him on or get into an uncomfortable situation with the bookstore. She was focused on her education and had no time for a casual romance or dating like a lot of the other students did. Her father was probably expecting a lot from her since she'd begged so insistently to be allowed to go. 

She attached the charm to her phone and grinned as it caught the light. "Embo," she said with a laugh, pulling out her books so she could begin studying.