Uphill

High Hopes

Amber fidgeted with her shirt, tucking it in as tightly as it could be tucked, making sure the buckle of her belt gleamed. She hesitated to do it, she'd already asked her mom a million times, but she needed a tiny bit more confidence. She held the phone as far away from herself as she could, then took a selfie, quickly sending it to Krystal before she could rethink it. 

-"How do I look?" she texted. 

She got a surge of heart emojis and heart-eye emojis in return. She laughed. 

-"That good?" 

Krystal's response was swift. -"Yes. Your text woke me up and I'm not even mad, you look so good." 

Amber laughed, feeling better. Slightly less nervous. A tiny bit more confident. -"Thank you." 

-"Good luck." 

-"Thanks. I'll need it. I'll see you after for our date." 

She felt giddy just typing that. A date. She had a date. She tried to calm herself down and remind herself that Krystal would probably get bored with her and trade up eventually, but she couldn't help being a little excited. 

"Look at you, sweetheart," her mom said, walking into her room and brushing the hair back from her face. "It's been a long time since I've seen you like this." 

Amber wrapped her arms around her mother. "I hope I get to show you this appearance all the time from now on." She tugged on the sides of her blazer. "I'll be back in about three hours, okay? SunYoung will be coming to walk you over to her house. I think her grandmother want to pick flowers with you or something." 

"I hope she hasn't been to the fish market already. All she'll do is spend the next few hours gossiping my ear off if she has." 

Amber laughed, knowing her mom loved it. "Alright. Oh I-" 

"Stop stalling and get out of here." 

Amber sighed and pouted. "Bye. Have a good day at the Park's." She kissed her on the cheek and darted out the door.

She kept rehearsing answers in her mind, hoping they would ask some of the things JungMo had run over with her. She'd also looked up a few mock interviews online. This was one of the most important interviews she'd been to in ages and she wanted to be prepared as she could. "This could change everything," she whispered. 


Krystal tried on a variety of pants and short skirts, trying to find the perfect one for their hike. She didn't want to get brushed by some weird plant and end up with scars or rashes, so she had to settle on jeans. She wanted to look a little bit y, so she picked out a pair of red skinny jeans that settled low on her hips. 

She rotated in the mirror to see how the jeans made her look. 

"Oooh." 

Krystal jumped, then glared at her older sister. "Yah!" 

Jessica came in and smacked her lightly. "How dare you 'yah' me? What are you doing? I don't think I've ever seen you check out your own for so long." 

Krystal laughed self-consciously, nibbling on her lip. "I have a date." 

"Whaaaa, finally your first date after all these years." 

"Shut up." She hugged her sister. "Hi. It's so good to see you today." 

Jessica held her briefly then sat down on her bed as Krystal started trying on tops to go with the pants. "Do I know this guy?" 

Krystal shook her head. "No. He's not...in our circle." 

"Hmm," she looked like she had something today but thought better of it.  "What are you two doing today?" 

"A hike and ice cream." 

Jessica smiled a little. "That sounds adorable." 

Krystal rolled her eyes, but couldn't help grinning too. "We're also going to have a picnic at the top of the hill. Jung-Hwa is almost finished making everything." 

She looked over at her sister and saw a wistful light in her eye. "Oh, Jess..." 

Jessica waved away the concern. "I'm just glad you're getting to have moments like these. I took everything for granted now here I am, always coming over here looking for what my life used to be. Then I realize that I wasn't happy even then. I just thought I was, but I didn't care for many of my friends, I didn't have any goals, I only dated people mom and dad might approve of. Even though..." 

"Even though?" 

"There was someone I liked, someone special a long time ago...I couldn't see it then." 

"Is it too late?" 

Jessica closed her eyes briefly. "You know it is." She in a shaky breath and got to her feet. "I shouldn't be bringing you down when you're about to go on your date." She hugged her close again. "Appreciate every moment, alright? Even if the date ." 

"I will, and it won't," Krystal said. She patted her sister on the head. "One day we'll find something that makes you happy, I just know it." 

"I love having a little sister like you." 


Krystal's car pulled up to the entrance gate and Amber ambled over. She may have stared a little too hard when Krystal stepped out of the car in her tight, red jeans, but she hurried over to help her with the picnic basket. 

"I'll let you know where to pick me up. Thanks, Daniel." 

The driver nodded and left. 

"You look so pretty today," Amber said, the soft material of Krystal's shirt. It was a little see-through where she could see a red, polka-dot crop top underneath. 

"Thanks," Krystal said, adjusting the straps of her backpack. "You look good too. It's a little warm for a hoodie though, isn't it?" 

"I get cold easy." She tilted her head toward the hiking trail. "I already registered us so we can head right up. I put us down for the green trail, I hope that's okay. I wanted something leisurely." 

"That's fine." 

Amber smiled and started walking, but was surprised when Krystal wasn't by her side. She turned and looked back. Krystal held out her hand. Smiling shyly, Amber took it and they set off on their path, the picnic basket swinging from her other arm. 

"So, how was the interview?" 

Amber shrugged. "I have no idea. We talked for almost half an hour. I was sweating by the time it was over. He said I'll find out Monday." 

Krystal gave her hand a little squeeze. "Is it a job you really want?" 

"So badly," Amber said in almost a hushed whisper, like she was afraid to admit it aloud.