Labyrinth

High Hopes

Two days after she landed in Korea, Krystal put on one of her cutest dresses. She doubted it would help how Amber felt about her, but it wouldn't hurt to try. She put a slight curl in her hair; Amber liked to wrap them around her fingers when they used to talk close together at a desk or a table. 

She was nervous, but she felt like this was the right thing to do. So she called the driver and had him drop her off at the bottom of the hill so she could walk up to Amber's place. The steep slope helped to rid her of some of her nerves, but they were still there when she knocked on the wooden gate shielding Amber's home from the street. 

When no one answered, she knocked harder. 

The gate creaked open slightly, revealing the weathered eye of an old woman. 

"Yes?" 

Krystal leaned in trying to peer around the woman. "Umm, I'm looking for Amber..." 

"No one by that name lives here. You got the wrong address." 

She made to close the door, but Krystal stopped it with her hand. "Yoo Embo? Isn't this the Yoo residence?" 

The woman scowled. "You have the wrong address," she said more firmly. "I've been here for two months. Now take your hand off my door, young lady." 

Krystal stepped back, letting the gate slam shut. She stood there for a few seconds, confused.  This was Embo's place, right? Her house....I've been sending mail here all month and none of it was returned to me..Has this old woman been keeping them? 

She put her hands on her hips, thinking about banging on the gate again but remembered Amber's friend SunYoung lived somewhere nearby. She walked further uphill, wishing she hadn't worn heels now, trying to remember the path Amber had taken to get to SunYoung's house. The tunnels of alleyways and small roads were very confusing though and she quickly got lost. She tried knocking on someone's door, but the house was empty. She turned down another small alleyway, trying to get back to where she'd come from, but all the brick walls and dilapidated homes looked similar. 

She grasped her phone in her hand and tried to use her GPS to at least establish a direction to the road, but following it only got her more lost. Not wanting to burst into tears in the middle of this unknown neighborhood, she struggled with her options. She could call the police and make a big deal out of nothing, she could walk around until she found some random stranger she could hope to trust to lead her to the road,...or she could call Amber.

She wanted to talk to her anyway so...

Without thinking about it for another second, she dialed Amber's number. 


"I thought you said you were coming back here to get revenge on her," Tiffany said, scrolling through her ipad and looking bored.

"She was so cute when she opened the door though," Yuri said, looking completely starry-eyed over the tiny girl that had managed to get into her heart again. "Besides, it was such a long time ago. People break up all the time. It hurt back then, but that all went away with time." 

Tiffany shrugged. "You were being super dramatic about it anyway. I'm glad I don't have to hear about your stupid revenge plans anymore. Now I get to hear you about a husband your girlfriend is legally married to and about to have a baby with." 

"My baby," Yuri said, folding her arms over her stomach. "It's like, having a donor or something," she waved a hand in the air. "Her son already loves me and when she finally gets a divorce-" 

"When is that supposed to be again?" Tiffany asked sarcastically, her eyes narrowing at the corners. 

Yuri tried to look unbothered. "Just a few more months." 

"Sure."  

Yuri wished Tiffany hadn’t brought it up. It was a sore point in her and Jessica’s relationship. She knew Jessica wasn’t happy with her husband, but she feared every day that Jessica would be too scared to leave him. She’d always lived a certain type of life and an unfamiliar one with Yuri might be too hard. Yuri loved her and would wait the months specified, but she wasn’t enough of a masochist to extend it beyond that. It would hurt if she ever had to leave Jessica, but she couldn’t stay with someone who wasn’t willing to fight to be with her, especially for a second time. 


Amber was exhausted by the time she found Krystal and the sun had almost completely set. She was leaning against a wall between two alley's, a pale brown dress hugging her slender frame. 

She texted her friends who'd come to help her look for Krystal that she'd found her. 

The air felt heavier the closer she got to her. Was it reluctance to see her again? Was it pain? Was it...

"Krystal?" 

The younger woman's head snapped up, her eyes unreadable as they swept over Amber, then paused on her face. 

"Thank you for coming to find me." 

She shifted on her heels and Amber reached out, taking her elbow. The sheer flood of emotions from that touch nearly left her unable to move, but she it up and helped Krystal walk on the cobblestones. "Come on. We'll go to SunYoung's house so you can rest and call your driver." 

"Thank you." 

Amber smiled a little. "You said that already." She looked over to find Krystal continuing to take peeks at her, but pretended not to notice. "What were you doing here?" she asked.

"Looking for you."

Amber's footsteps faltered a little, but she straightened. "Why?" 

"Did you move?"

"Yes. Why were you looking for me?" Amber questioned, wanting to stay on track. 

Krystal stopped walking so Amber was forced to as well. "I wanted to talk to you." 

"About?" 

Krystal looked up at the darkening sky and shuffled on her aching feet. "Can we get to your friend's house first?" 

Amber kind of wanted to continue the conversation, but nodded and continued to guide Krystal through the maze of alleyways until they reached the bright red fence that marked the Park household.

Amber knocked on the door and a young man answered, one of Sun Young's older brothers. Without saying anything, he just let them in, then disappeared around a corner of the house. They reached the front steps and Amber had Krystal take off her shoes. She sighed happily and almost seemed she wanted to just stop and sit there, but Amber forced her further inside. They bowed, greeting SunYoung's grandmother who waved them toward the back hall. 

"This family is so strange," Krystal murmured. 

Amber laughed and got Krystal seated on a small cushion in a back room. She took one of Krystal's feet in her hands and started to massage it lightly. 

"You don't have to do that," Krystal protested, trying to pull her foot away, but Amber held on. 

"Why did you want to talk to me?" 

"Are you going to break my ankle or something if I don't tell you? Why won't you give my foot back?" 

Amber cocked a brow and picked up the other foot, carefully pressing her thumbs into the sore muscles. 

“I wanted to apologize to you,” Krystal said.

“Yeah?” Amber asked, not looking up, just focusing on her task.

“I shouldn’t have said those things, especially not the way I said them. I think you’re beautiful, Amber. Your heart, your face, your body…I…” 

Amber’s hands paused for a moment. 

How do I say this without sounding like a complete idiot? Krystal wondered. Would she even believe I thought she was a guy for song long? 

Krystal hung her head and decided to just say it. She mumbled nearly incoherently, “I thought you were a guy.”