Contact

High Hopes

"Soojung, sweetheart? We need you to come home right after class tonight, okay?"

Krystal blinked between both her parents. They were having breakfast, and they usually ate silently until of them had to leave. It was quite unusual that someone make an announcement halfway through the meal since most discussions were left until dinner. Especially Krystal's father to his youngest daughter. Her mother was usually left to deliver his messages to her. She had a good relationship with her father, but it was a distant one. He liked when she spoke to him about simple things since he was often tired from work, so they'd never had a deep conversation, other than her asking that he pay for her college education. She didn't really have deep conversations with her mother either. She felt uncomfortable speaking with someone who's thoughts on life and what was expected of a woman were so different from hers. She really missed having Jessica home every day. 

"Why?" she finally asked, realizing she wouldn't get any answers from just looking at them. 

Mr. Jung dusted the crumbs from his fingertips and shifted his attention from his breakfast to his daughter. 

"I know we agreed to let you study, but there are plans already made and promises to be kept." 

She felt her air get trapped somewhere int he back of . "W-what do you mean?" she asked carefully. 

Her father grinned indulgently at her. "Your going to college has no bearing on the social requirements that come from being my daughter." 

Krystal's eyes widened as she thought back over the many conversations they'd had regarding Krystal's college education. She hadn't made any requests or stipulations other than to be allowed to go. She felt ashamed of herself. She wanted to be a businesswoman so badly, but she had no idea how to negotiate. She'd been bested by her own eagerness. 

"So..what do you want from me?" 

Mr. Jung shook his head. "It's nothing more than what was demanded of you before. Some dinners here and there. Sitting in on a few meetings. There's a little get-together of the company heads tonight and we decided it would be a good idea to introduce our children to one another. You'll recognize a few faces from over the years, but there will be a few new ones from overseas. I'm very interested in you getting to know Mr. Im's children." 

Her stomach shifted in discomfort. She hated these meetings; the old men, the arrogant peers, the tiny portions of meat...

"So make sure you're home at 7'oclock sharp so you can get dressed. "Your mother spent all yesterday evening choosing your dress." 

"You knew yesterday?" Krystal demanded of her mother. 

Her mother just grinned and waved off her daughter's anger. She would thank her once she saw the beautiful dress anyway. Her daughter would look like a princess and outshine every other girl who happened to show up. 

"Mother-" 

"Don't use that tone with your mother," Mr. Jung scolded. "I asked her not to tell you. I didn't want you finding any excuses. It's been months since you've come to a dinner with me." 

She sighed and returned to picking at her food. They didn't even seem to care they'd taken half the joy out of her day. 


"Why are you calling?" Amber asked, the cordless store phone tucked between her ear and her shoulder as she organized the new book shipment on the shelves. The store phone ringing was a mildly unusual occurrence, but Krystal being on the other end made it rare indeed. 

}"Umm...I just...I just was calling to tell you I won't be coming to study later. I have to go somewhere with my father." 

Amber slowly set down the book in her hand and held the phone, her brow scrunching in confusion. "Oh, okay. Umm...thanks for letting me know, I guess."

She heard Krystal chuckle lightly. 

}"I just didn't want you to be waiting.

"Why would I be waiting?..." 

}"I don't know why I called. Stupid..." she heard Krystal murmur in a whisper. 

Amber laughed. "It's okay. You really are the only thing that sort of keeps it interesting around here. I was just surprised, I guess. I didn't think-" 

}"Think what?" Krystal asked when Amber cut herself off. 

"That we were friends..like that. Acquaintances maybe, but friends?" 

Krystal laughed. }"Well, we sort of are. Aren't we?" 

"I guess. Oh! That reminds me. I have a cell phone now!" 

The man had come back by the shop to drop off a charger for her and to make sure she hadn't thrown the phone away. She still wasn't sure she could trust him, but it would be nice to use the phone for a short while. It was great for looking up information while she was on the go or at least having some music to listen to while she walked or took the bus. So until the man showed whatever his true colors were, she figured she might as well use the phone. 

She'd also given in and let him schedule a guitar lesson with him. She didn't have many options if she wanted to learn since she didn't really have the money or the time. She'd forced him to have the location in a public park though. She didn't want to be murdered. She still had a lot of things she wanted to do. 

}"Oh my god!" 

Amber pulled the phone away from her ear when Krystal screamed like she'd seen a zombie or something. "Whoa." 

}"Oh, sorry. I'm just excited."

"Ha,ha. Why?" Amber asked, crossing one ankle over the other as she rested an elbow on a bookshelf. 

}"Oh, well, no reason. It's nice though, right? Now you can follow me on Instagram and see all of my travel photos." 

Amber tapped the bookshelf. "I liked getting your letters and polaroids though." 

}"Oh...well...Um oh. I can keep doing that, I guess." 

Amber bit the corner of . "I'd like that. So would my mom. She said it made her feel like she was in some movie." 

]"Well, I'll keep doing that then, the next time I travel.

Amber turned to finish stocking the bookshelves. "Well, just remind me to give you my number the next time you're in the store. I don't have my number memorized yet and I sort of need to finish putting these books away." 

}"Sorry I called while you were working." 

"Most interesting thing that happened today, I promise." 

}"Once I have your cell number, I'll bother you even more. You know, to keep your brain alive and all that." 

Amber laughed, not knowing how her husky chuckle made Krystal a little giddy on the other end of the line. "I'll look forward to being bothered. Bye." 

}"Ha. Bye."