Friends and Birthdays

Tales of a Closeted Fanboy

The next morning, Baekhyun woke up thinking it is just any other day. He feels more bitter than usual though, since there are like two subjects that he had tests for and he barely studied for both since he was busy reading fanfiction last night. He didn't even bother to open the group chat he had with his friends, not wanting to get into a chat flame with Jiyong or something.

And so, he rises from bed and drags himself to his bathroom to change for the day. After that, he picks up his bag and his phone then proceeds to climb down the stairs. The house is quiet as usual since everyone is busy preparing for school and work, so Baekhyun didn't really suspect anything.

Until, that is, when confetti suddenly pops right in front of his face, getting into his mouth when he shouts in surprise and some in his nostrils, along with the loud chanting of "Happy Birthday our dear Baekhyunnie!" followed by the feel of hands around his body and then the feel of two lips pressing on his mochi cheeks.

"Happy birthday, loser!" Baekhee greets, ruffling his hair as she shoves something into his chest. Dumbfounded, he holds it up and sees that it was an EXO photobook that Baekhyun had not been able to get his hands on.

With watery eyes, Baekhyun looks up to his younger sister and stretches his arms towards her. "Baekhee, you are seriously the best sister. I want to cry-"

"Nope, not now baby," Mrs. Byun jumps in as she pulls Baekhyun away from his sibling and then makes him sit down on the head of the table which was currently filled with dishes that were all of Baekhyun's favourite ones. His mouth begins to water as he eyes everything in wonder.

"I completely forgot that today was my birthday," Baekhyun says as his mother puts rice into his plate.

"Silly," Mrs. Byun chuckles as she pinches her son's cheek.

"You are so freaking stupid!" Baekhee exclaims in amusement as she slaps Baekhyun's arm. "How do you even forget about something as important as your birthday?"

Baekhyun rolls his eyes. "I did not check the date for the past few days, that's why I forgot. But I did not entirely forgot because I knew it was this month and that it was maybe next week or something."

"Now now kids," Mrs. Byun chimes in. "School bus is arriving in a few, you might want to get a move on."

If his family had not mentioned that it was his birthday today, Baekhyun would never have remembered because at school, no one among his friends - or his so-called friends, whatever - had approached him and greeted him. Jiyong's probably still being an so he is convincing the others not to talk to him for the moment - a stupid game of pride and ego that Baekhyun was too petty to also partake in.

Sashaying down the hall, Baekhyun reaches his locker to get his books for the morning classes. Upon opening his locker, Baekhyun gasps and jumps out of the way when a tidal wave of letters avalanched out from the inside.

"Well look at the convenience."

Baekhyun looks up and sees Chanyeol, chuckling at the scene in front of him.

"Not in the mood for your stupid jokes in the morning, Park Chanyeol," Baekhyun sighs in irritation as he kneels down and begins picking up the stupid letters for him to throw in the trash. Call him an , but the feelings of his admirers were the least of his worries right now when he's got other stuff bothering him.

"Let me help, you look ridiculous," Chanyeol says as he kneels down and helps pick up the letters.

To be real honest, Baekhyun did not like Chanyeol's presence around him at all, especially in the hallways where people could see. What would they think if they see the school prince interacting with a nobody like Chanyeol? They would probably not think of something positive, and Baekhyun wants none of that.

"You can drop that, I don't need your help," Baekhyun snaps at him.

Chanyeol simply pauses, looks at Baekhyun then shrugs as he shoves the letters that he had gathered on to the other's chest.

"Well, if you say so princess," Chanyeol pushes himself up. "See you around."

Baekhyun doesn't greet him and simply rolls his eyes as he continues picking up the stupid letters.

He feels like .

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun does not feel like attending his classes that afternoon. He was absolutely not in the mood to deal with lectures and his classmates, so he decides to skip his classes and disappear away to a secluded part of the school.

It's not even because he had been greeted by inconvenience early on in the morning caused by his fangirls, and it's also not because of Chanyeol's irritating presence. It is more because of the fact that he hated how he always feels so alone, so out of place. Sure, he does have a clique, but does he even have an actual friend among them? The only one he knows he could trust is Jongdae, but he is still MIA. The other ones would never talk to him if the others like Jiyong would try to excommunicate him.

It terribly .

Baekhyun closes his eyes and lets himself drown into Loey's beautiful voice. With his voice, he feels more light, more secure, more at home. Even after all the he has to face everyday, Baekhyun would always be able to seek comfort in his idol, and Loey would provide him with the comfort he needs without fail.

A sigh escapes past his lips. Loey is just a sort of escape for Baekhyun, but it could not change how reality really was for him. He could not stop thinking how things would be more different if he had not ventured in this kind of highschool lifestyle. He should have taken a path where he gets to be with people who were not superficial.

But it's too late already. Baekhyun is not able to do anything about it.

Suddenly, Baekhyun's phone begins ringing. Without checking the caller ID, he presses the answer button then says, "Hello, who is this?"

"It's me, Kyungsoo!"

The heaviness in his heart melts away and disappears as a smile crosses Baekhyun's lips.

"Kyungsoo! I missed you!" Baekhyun cries. "Why did you call? What's up?"

"I'm here to greet you! Happy birthday, B! I know we're miles apart, but that's not going to stop me from trying to make you happy today. I'm aware of the things you suffer at school, I mean, we all suffer, but I specifically want you to feel better for today, even just for today. So later, when you arrive home, you'll receive something from me. A little gift."

Without even knowing, tears start to stream down Baekhyun's eyes. That's right, he might not have actual friends in this school, but he has real friends somewhere out there, even if distance was a barrier for them. Through their mutual love for EXO, Baekhyun is able to meet people he could actually trust and rely on, and that's enough for him.

"Thank you, really Kyungsoo," Baekhyun says, trying to sound okay but the rasp in his voice and the sniff gives him away.

"Hey, are you crying?"

"It's nothing really," Baekhyun says, wiping away the tears with the back of his hand. "I'm just having a ty day and you calling me just assured me that things will be better. Thank you so much Soo... You're such a great friend."

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yes, I'm fine," Baekhyun nods. "I'm okay."

"Make sure to clear your face off of snot and tears there, you need to look fresh and fly at all times for Loey."

"Loey won't ever even notice me," Baekhyun chuckles. "I'm just another star in their ocean of fans."

"Now that's bull. He knows you exist! Don't make me feel sad too."

"I'm sorry," Baekhyun laughs. "You might wanna hang up now, you have classes."

"How about you?"

"Kind of ditched them all. I'm in the mood for a pity party."

"Well, enjoy that. See you soon, B."

"See you soon too, Soo."

When the call ended, Baekhyun was engulfed by silence again. A few moments later, it was ruined when he hears the sound of shuffling behind him. Looking over his shoulder, he glares in displeasure when he sees Park Chanyeol walking up to him leisurely with that amazing smile across his face.

"So you definitely are a stalker," Baekhyun asks with a scowl. "How did you find me here?"

"Don't get your hopes up, I merely found you here out of sheer luck and maybe destiny," Chanyeol winks at him flirtatiously as he sits down beside him.

"I don't really want your presence here though," Baekhyun utters. "I find you insufferable."

"Hey now, I'm trying to be nice and friendly," Chanyeol says with a tone that immediately makes Baekhyun feel a bit guilty at how harsh he had probably sounded.

"Well I'm sorry," Baekhyun says with a pout as he folds his knees up and places his chin on them. "Pardon me for my rudeness, I'm not having the best day."

Chanyeol suddenly hands him an envelope. Baekhyun looks over to him with a suspicious look.

"Take it," the blue-haired boy nudges the tip towards him. "It's for you."

Without thinking anymore, Baekhyun takes the envelope from Chanyeol and peeks into its contents. He takes out a card from inside and brings it up closer to his face.

"Happy Birthday, Byun Baekhyun," Baekhyun reads off from it. "Use this coupon for a treat from Park Chanyeol."

Baekhyun giggles to himself as he shifts his gaze towards Chanyeol, who is smiling brightly at him.

"So, what do you think?" he asks with a shrug. "Are you up for it?"

"What kind of treat do I get?" the prince asks in amusement.

"Anything," Chanyeol says. "It's your birthday, I'll treat you to anything."

And that's how Baekhyun finds himself at a local pizza place after classes with Chanyeol. A month ago, he would have never thought he would hang out with someone like Chanyeol but here he is now, pushing his month-ago self into a puddle of mud and anti-ego.

"You sure you're okay here?" Chanyeol says as Baekhyun guides them towards a table. "I just realized, this place is pretty open. Lots of people from school come here. You okay being seen with me?"

"Your concern is nice," Baekhyun plops down on a chair, followed after by the elder. "But at this point, I really don't care anymore."

Chanyeol shrugs. "Alright then." He raises his hand then clicks, attracting the attention of a waiter to take their order.

While waiting for the food, Chanyeol takes out a box and hands it to Baekhyun who was looking a bit awkward across him.

"For you," Chanyeol says. Baekhyun eyes him suspiciously and takes the box from him. He unwraps the fancy glittery golden cover, which reveals a small black box inside. He glances at Chanyeol for a moment, who urges him to open it.

Upon opening it, Baekhyun's eyes widen in disbelief as he says, "Holy ."

It was a ring similar to what Loey usually wears - a black ring lined with silver and with Loey's phoenix sign engraved into it. It was very rare, since Loey had it customized for himself, and it would cost a lot of money if Baekhyun tried to get his hands on a replica.

"H-How did you get this?" Baekhyun says dumbfoundedly as he takes the ring out of the box. "This is a really rare thing..."

Chanyeol leans in, which causes Baekhyun to imitate the action.

"Can you keep a secret?"

Baekhyun blinks. "Sure."

Chanyeol looks around, letting a waiter pass by first before he whispers lowly, "I'm actually a huge fan of Loey and I can afford stuff like that."

Baekhyun's eyes widen. "No way." Because in all honesty, even if Chanyeol was a bit annoying while walking around with that conspicuous colored hair of his and big mouth, Baekhyun sees him as someone really handsome and manly, one who would not spend his time and money on some boyband member.

But then again, just like Baekhyun, Chanyeol's probably trying to hide that fact.

"You're such a loser," Baekhyun chuckles, not wanting to give up his facade yet. "Why do you like that Loey person so much?"

"Well, for starters," Chanyeol says with a smirk. "He's really handsome."

"Oh gosh yes," Baekhyun sighs. Chanyeol gives him a look, which makes his eyes grow large and realize what he just said. "I mean, yeah! He is handsome, since he gets to pose on lots of fashion magazines."

"You're right," Chanyeol chuckles, overseeing that weird reaction from the other male. "And he can really sing, he knows how to play lots of instruments, his lyrics are deep and emotional, and just... isn't he perfect?"

"He is," Baekhyun sighs dreamily, but unlike before, he instantly catches himself and says, "I mean, yeah, lots of people like him after all."

"Indeed..." Chanyeol says wistfully.

Baekhyun stares down at the ring and caresses the smooth surface with a thumb.

"But why... why are you giving me this?"

"Whenever someone I like spending time with celebrates his or her birthday, I give my treasured belongings as presents," Chanyeol winks. "Something priceless is better than something expensive, won't you agree?"

Baekhyun nods in agreement as he stares down at the ring, trying to suppress the tears from coming. It's not even because Chanyeol had given him something Loey-related. It was because there was actually someone who enjoys spending time with him. Not just as someone they want to flaunt him off.