A Piece of Advice

Tales of a Closeted Fanboy

For years, Baekhyun had tried his very best to retain his identity as an EXO fanboy a precious, well-kept secret. No one from the people who knew him in school ever suspected a thing, even Jongdae who he has considered as someone as close to him as a best friend. Chanyeol is the only one who had known of his secret...

...until now, that is.

Luhan and Kyungsoo stares on with dread between Taeyeon and Baekhyun who are both caught up in a daze, waiting for any one of them to move. They both knew well of Baekhyun's obsessive behavior with trying to protect his private fanboy life, and both of them feel helpless, having no idea how to help their friend. Baekhyun had been caught twice now, and this time, it was his freaking girlfriend.

They could only pray to the heavens that nothing bad comes out of the encounter today.

"Uh..." Baekhyun breaks the silence. "H-Hey, Taeyeon!"

Kyungsoo sighs, burying his face into Luhan's shoulder to hide his secondhand embarrassment.

"Hi Baekhyun..." Taeyeon displays a confused smile across her lips. "I never expected to see you here."

"Me neither!" Baekhyun says, a bit too gleefully that it was too painful to witness.

Someone do him a favor and stab him so he could just die. He didn't want to suffer this awkward situation.

More seconds pass with no one saying anything. Taeyeon shatters the silence with an uncertain little laugh and says, "Do you... Do you want to grab some ice cream? I think we've go lots of things to talk about."

Baekhyun gulps as he looks at his friends with pitiful, puppy eyes. The two could only shake their heads and give him a thumbs up, probably mentally encouraging him.

You've got this, B.

"I, uh, of course," Baekhyun smiles. "Let me just talk to my friends first. Gimme five seconds."

"You can have an extension, five seconds isn't practical," Taeyeon grins cheekily. Baekhyun nods and turns towards his friends.

"How are you going to handle this?" Kyungsoo whispers with an aggressive, panicked voice. "You've been caught by your girlfriend this time!"

"I know," Baekhyun whimpers. "I'm scared too. Taeyeon's nice, but I'm not sure how she will react to this. But whatever, I'll handle this."

"Just call us," Luhan says, grabbing his wrist. "Sheesh Baekhyun, this won't even be a big deal if you just openly fanboyed over EXO."

" you and go home already," Baekhyun says in irritation. "I'll talk to you later. Get rest too, we still have the fansign tomorrow."

"Come on, we'll go through my skincare routine," Luhan tells his Ilsan-raised companion, grabbing him by the wrist. "Gotta look fresh for EXO. See you, Baekhyun. And good luck!"

"Bye B!" Kyungsoo waves at him. "Good luck!"

Baekhyun waves his friends off as they disappear down the curb, headed for the hotel they are currently staying at. This time, he mentally prepares himself for whatever will happen then turns back to Taeyeon, who was patiently waiting for him.

"Mind telling me why you were there?" Taeyeon mused as she starts scooping her ice cream into . Baekhyun had taken her to some ice cream shop just close to the place they went to for the mini-concert.

Baekhyun stabbed his spoon into his ice cream absentmindedly, feeling absolutely nervous as he tries to come up with the words that he wanted to say.

"Taeyeon… You adore me, right?"

The girl chuckles. "I wouldn't have confessed if I didn't."

"I have been good to you, right?"

"Surprisingly, yes," Taeyeon chuckles. "I'm lucky."

"If I admitted right here that I'm an obsessive fanboy of EXO, will you spread a gossip about it in school?"

Silence ensues for a few moments as Baekhyun anxiously tries to comprehend the dull expression on her face.

"So does this mean you're gay?"

Baekhyun nods. "Yes it does- wait, what?!" he squeals in confusion. "This has nothing to do with that! Answer my question first! "

Taeyeon reaches out and suddenly pinches his cheek. Baekhyun lets out a pained cry, never getting used to her habit of pinching him with such force, eyes watering because it felt like she was ripping his flesh off.

"Let's break up and be the bestest EXO-L friends ever. Who's your bias?"

Baekhyun blinks.

Wow, that went better than he had expected.

 


 

"So basically, your girlfriend is an EXO-L, decided to break up with you, and now the two of you are simply bestfriends just because you both share the same fandom?"

Baekhyun shrugs. He and his friends were currently at some random café, wasting their morning away there by chatting and catching up before they depart to the fansign.

"Yeah, that's about it."

"Wow," Kyungsoo slurps noisily on his cold chocolate drink. "You have such an interesting love life. Just when you found a decent girlfriend, she decides to break if off with you because you're both fans. You could have just kept being together but I guess…"

Baekhyun perks an eyebrow up. "But guess what?"

"Chanyeol," Kyungsoo says, expression careful and guarded in case Baekhyun doesn't react well. "What are you gonna do about him?"

"What about him?"

"Gosh Baekhyun," Luhan gives him a dirty look. "Don't be a douche and patch things up with him."

Baekhyun looks down to his fingers. "He probably hates me."

"That's the dumbest thing I've heard from you," Kyungsoo rolls his eyes. "He doesn't hate you."

"What makes you say so?"

"He knows you're a fanboy, right?" he explains says. "But have you heard any weird rumours about it ever since you fell out?"

Baekhyun wonders for a moment. Gossip runs rapidly around campus and if there was a rumour about him being a fanboy, he'd be able to hear it immediately.

"I guess I haven't…" he finally says. "I haven't heard anything."

"Then that means he's just waiting for you to do the first move," Luhan says. "He doesn't hate you. He just wants to give you space since you're the one who pushed him away."

"Ah , I really don't know what to feel about this," Baekhyun groans as he dumps more cake into his mouth.

"Well, I guess you'll have to ponder about that after the fansign," Luhan twists his wristwatch and stands up. "because right now, we have to go."

When they get to the place, lots of people were already there. The stage is set up with a table, with a couple of staff already there buzzing about, making last minute checks in case something out of the ordinary happens. Fans are already seated on the chairs below the stage, happily chattering with each other. Guards lined up the sides and fansites are already sitting up at front, preparing their gear. This time, once again, Baekhyun decided not to bring his camera, coming as an ordinary fanboy instead of being a fansite so he could just enjoy the whole experience.  

"Baekhyun!"

Before Baekhyun could turn around to the call of his name, he is attacked by the feel of an arm over his shoulder and a soft body against his side. He looks to the side and grins when he sees that it was Taeyeon.

"Hey," she smiles and ruffles his hair from the side. "You excited?"

"I am," Baekhyun responds happily. Last night's conversation at the ice cream shop and the phone call that followed right after broke a wall between them, and now they find themselves in an easy and aloof relationship. Baekhyun feels happy, knowing that a wonderful person like Taeyeon would stick around for longer (since break-ups that are inevitable for Baekhyun tend to push people apart).

"Mind if you introduce me to your friends?"

"Well, this is Lu Han from China," Baekhyun points at Luhan, who bows towards her with a charming smile.

"Hi! Baekhyun told us a lot about you," he chirps happily.

"So he has…" Taeyeon muses. "My bias is Kris, how about yours?"

"Sehun all the way!"

"And this cutie right here is Do Kyungsoo," Baekhyun motions Kyungsoo, who is giving him an uncomfortable look.

"Hello," Taeyeon bows towards him, and Kyungsoo does the same. "Who's your bias?"

"Kai is mine," he bluntly proclaims.

"Wow," Taeyeon rubs her arms. "I got chills with that."

About an hour later, the host for the fansign announces that it will start in a little awhile. The atmosphere inside the hall hikes up with excitement and adrenaline as everyone anticipated to meet with EXO.

"It's been a year since my last fansign," Taeyeon laughs. "Baekhyun, feel my hands. They're so sweaty!"

"Just calm down," the male chuckles.

"Easy for you to say. I've only been to three fansigns throughout my career as an EXO-L."

The moment EXO appears on stage, everyone excitedly cheers. Taeyeon screams, tugging harshly at Baekhyun's jacket who simply ignores her as he gazes up at Loey. , he looks so sophisticated today, with his dark hair brushed up while he wears a leather jacket over a white shirt, matched up with dark jeans and sneakers. What a ing full-course meal.

"I ing mean it, I'm gay," Baekhyun exclaims at his friends over the sound of the loud screams, overwhelmed by his feels. His own bias is wrecking him, it's crazy. What a dangerous man.

"What?!" Luhan shrieks.

"Say that again?!' Kyungsio demands.

Baekhyun simply laughs, "I didn't say anything!"

The host tells everyone to quiet down as he starts interviewing EXO with overused questions - questions like how they are feeling, what their level excitement were and what they expect from today's event. Of course, the boys answer them as they are taught (like always) and are then ushered to their tables, with Kris first seated at the left, followed by Kai, Sehun then lastly, Loey. The host reminds everyone of what to observe and the rules to follow then after that, it finally starts.

"We should have arrived a bit earlier," Kyungsoo says.

"Nah, it's fine," Luhan speaks. "Being around the middle is okay rather than being last. EXO will be tired by then."

"Do you guys already know what to ask them?" Taeyeon wonders as she fumbles with her pen as her other hand taps on to a sticky note attacked to her album. "What do you think should I ask?"

"Well Kyungsoo doesn't ask," Luhan smiles proudly as he pats the other's shoulder. "he makes Kai kiss his favorite teddy bear then hands him a bear-themed bracelet. He does it every time and Kai always wears it. As for the other members, he gives them gifts too."

The girl's eyes widen as she gazes in awe at the round-eyed boy. "So you were the one giving Kai the cute bear bracelets!"

"Yeah…" Kyungsoo nods, face neutral but Baekhyun knows he actually feels smug.

"How about you, Luhan? What do you do?"

"I ask each member what songs they can recommend to me for a playlist," Luhan grins.

"How about you, Baek? What do you ask?"

A blush touches Baekhyun's cheeks as he looks away, tightening his grip on his album.

"Just… Just random questions that intrigue me," he shrugs. "It's nothing-"

"He's just shy," Luhan chuckles. "Baekhyun treats EXO like counselors. Whatever problem he has in life, he asks them for advice."

"No I don't," Baekhyun pouts.

"Yes you do, you even asked them which curtains you should use for your room!"

"Then you should ask them some tips on how not to be an ," Kyungsoo laughs.

Baekhyun raises a fist, threatening to punch him. " you."

"Don't make him feel guilty again, come on Kyungsoo," Luhan pats the Ilsan-native's shoulder.

"You know, I'm happy you're friends with Baekhyun," Taeyeon suddenly speaks up in a solemn voice. Baekhyun looks at her in curiosity. "I've always noticed how he likes hanging out with those kids from school but no one has ever been this friendly and attached to him."

"Hey, don't embarass me," Baekhyun utters, nudging her arm.

"I'm not," Taeyeon giggles. "I'm just expressing my thanks."

What felt like hours passed by when the four are finally called to line up. Baekhyun starts sweating, feeling intimidated and unsure all of a sudden. He's done this multiple times but he could never get used to the fact that EXO are actually living human beings who breathe the same air as he does. In his mind, they will always be unreachable gods that reside in the stars.

Before he could even fully realize it, Baekhyun is finally in front of the drummer, Kris.

"Hello," the handsome Chinese-Canadian greets along with a gummy smile as he takes the fanboy's album. "I'm glad you're not wearing a mask this time."

Baekhyun blinks. "W-What do you mean?"

"You're that Radiant Cherry boy, right?" Kris smirks as he signs his album. "It's not hard to remember you, we rarely have fanboys in fansigns after all. And you're with those two," he points at his friends who were now talking to other members. "I know them by face."

"You've got good memory, Kris-hyung," Baekhyun says with a pleased smile, feeling happy that someone like the drummer could remember him.

"Of course, I am an artist after all," the drummer winks at him. "I remember people easily."

Baekhyun wanted to about a recent picture of a drawing he posted, bur decided not to say anything.

"Oh, would you like me to answer this post it for you?" Kris asks.

"Yes please," Baekhyun nods.

Next up is Kai, who happily receives a flower crown from him. He has always been quiet even in fansigns, only laughing at jokes and whatever the fans say and answering questions.

When it was Sehun's turn, Baekhyun feels nervousness rush through him as he glances at Loey, who is interacting happily with Luhan. He gulps and tries to focus on the maknae, who chirps on about how he loves fanboys.

"It's refreshing," he says with a laugh. "And that cutie over there even told me I'm his bias!"

"You're really cute, Sehun-hyung," Baekhyun chuckles. "And here, this is a gift for Vivi."

"Oh?" Sehun raises an eyebrowbas he receives the bag and looks inside. "Whoah, these are so cute!" He looks up and smiles. "Thank you~"

"You're welcome," Baekhyun bows. "By the way, can I ask you something?"

"Yeah?" Sehun leans forward attentively.

"I'm… I'm not straight," Baekhyun says uncertainly. "I'm… I've always known I'm homoual but I've never embraced it. I've always kept it but now I don't know if I'll still be able to keep it to myself. Do you have any advice for me?"

Sehun smiles. He reaches out, and Baekhyun's places his hand in his.

"You know, it's always better to be yourself," he says solemnly. "It's hard especially if other people put you down, but you should know that they don't matter. You have to prioritize your happiness first."

Baekhyun feels his heart swelling with respect and adoration for the guitarist. He wants to thank him, maybe even shed a few tears, but the guard beats him to it and urges him to move.

For a moment, Baekhyun could only stare at Loey, who gives him a polite smile as he signs his album.

"I have a gift for you," Baekhyun shyly says once he mustered up his courage and shows him a bracelet, a fancy one made up of a black band with chains attached to it.

"Really? That looks really nice," Loey smiles. "Put it on me, then."

Baekhyun cautiously looks at the manager behind the vocalist, but with Loey reaching his wrist out expectantly so he does as he is told. With quivering fingers, he wounds the bracelet around his wrist then clasps the two ends together.

"Thanks, you know my style well," Loey winks. Baekhyun nearly collapses to the ground.

"Hyung, can I ask you something?"

"Go ahead," his bias waves a hand as he continues to scribble on Baekhyun's album.

"There's a close friend who likes me."

The vocalist stops scribbling.

"I didn't reject nor accept him because I'm not sure about my feelings for him," Baekhyun sighs. "I think I like him, but I think I don't. I got a girlfriend to try and forget about him but my girlfriend and I think we're better off as friends. Now I just want to patch things up with him, but I don't know if it's a good idea. I'm scared he'll just ignore me. What do you think?"

The vocalist looks up and flashes him a small smile as he twirls his marking pen around his fingers.

"Well Radiant Cherry," Loey smirks when he noticed Baekhyun flinching in surprise. He wanted to cry, Loey knows him! "I personally think you shouldn't be scared. He likes you so I'm sure he will talk to you. He's just waiting for you to take the initiative."

Baekhyun purses his lips together as he rubs his arms. 

"Hope you succeed with that," Loey smiles comfortingly as he hands him his album and he is ushered away by the guards.