Exposing Byun Baekhyun

Tales of a Closeted Fanboy

Uncertainly, Baekhyun lays back on his bed, staring up at the ceiling in a relaxed manner. But he's not quite relaxed himself, not when all these thoughts are intruding what is supposed to be a calm night right after his exams.

Baekhyun groans as he turns to his side, bringing a thumb up to bite on the nail. It's just too far-fetched, Baekhyun has to admit to himself. Quite crazy, actually. There is just no way that the Park Chanyeol he knows would be Loey, main vocalist of EXO and the most perfect man on earth. He can list stuff that can cancel out the fact that Chanyeol is Loey.

Starting off with physical appearances. Loey has a dark, grungier feel to his looks. He has dark hair, dark eyes, a clear and perfect face - he looks so ethereal even without make-up. He wears hoodies all the time and basically stuff from Supreme, Adidas and Balenciaga. A walking, covered up billboard. Chanyeol… well, the one thing Baekhyun would describe him is that he is absolutely chaotic. His hair is always a different shade from yesterday, he has that ugly glasses too and when they collide with the stuff he wears that are mostly denim and tank tops, it looks all sorts of chaotic but he makes them work well. His face… well, that's the part that makes Baekhyun a bit uneasy. Other than the occasional pimple he has here and there, his usually parched plump lips and his brown eyes, well, Chanyeol's face is an eerie match with Loey's. Their ears are even the same, along with the height as well.

Now with the personalities. Baekhyun has met Loey on fansigns and fanmeets. Not that he knows a lot about his bias, but he picked up stuff here and there through the years. He loves attention especially from fans, and he feeds off from praise from them and the people he cherishes. He is soft-hearted and too nice for his own good according to the members, that's why he has so many friends. Meanwhile Chanyeol is… Chanyeol is annoying. He is endearing, but very annoying. Playful and very straightforward. Stingy and bitter too, that's why he doesn't have friends, even towards Jongdae who is trying so hard to get along with him and with Yixing. He has this edgy charm that draws Baekhyun towards him, but it just really works on him.

Besides personality, there's talent. Loey is very talented - he sings, he raps, he writes and composes songs, he knows how to act and he knows the runway. All he knows about Chanyeol is that he knows how to play the guitar and is damn good at drawing.

"Ah seriously…" Baekhyun mutters as he flips over once more and stares up at the ceiling. He closes his eyes, flushing out the thoughts because it's just too much. He didn't want to think about it anymore. He knows Chanyeol can't be Loey. He just really can't.

But that article…

"Noooooooo!" Baekhyun wails as he covers his face with a pillow and thrashes around is distress. "I don't want to think about this! This isn't fanfiction! I have to separate reality from fiction!"

As if sensing his anguish, Baekhyun's ringtone blares through the room. He stops his little frustrated tantrum and reaches out to answer the call.

"Chanyeol-hyung…" he utters as he lies back on his bed. Should he answer him?

"Is there a reason not to?" Baekhyun mutters to himself as he presses call.

"Hi Hyunee~" comes the older's fond greeting.

"Hi hyung," Baekhyun greets back, an unconscious smile crossing his face. "Why'd you call?"

"I'm bored."

"Aren't you sleepy? It's nearing twelve already."

"I'm not. I think I'm being attacked by my insomnia right now."

"Huh? You have insomnia?"

"Yeah… I've been getting better but… I guess, stress?"

"What are you stressing over?" Baekhyun chuckles. "You're not even a top student."

Chanyeol laughs. "I know, I'm stupid. I stress over things that aren't even worthy being stressed over."

"You gotta relax, hyung. Or get up and get some fresh air. It always helps."

"Or I could just talk to my favorite dongsaeng and listen to his pretty voice."

"Why do you talk like that? Are you flirting with me?"

"Maybe, but that doesn't matter right?" Baekhyun could almost see the smirk he is probably making. "How about singing me a song? You have a wonderful voice."

"Who are you to demand something from me that easily?"

"I'm your favorite hyung, I come with that privilege."

Baekhyun rolls his eyes. Well, there won't be any harm done if he just sings even a little, right?

"What song do you wanna hear?"

"Take You Home by Eun would be nice. Do it like ASMR."

"Why are you so demanding? And how do you even sing while doing ASMR?"

"Just whisper, I guess? It might even help with my insomnia."

"I bet you're probably going to record this."

"You know me too well."

Baekhyun rolls his eyes once more. He clears his throat, a bit conscious because he hasn't been singing for days already and he might do some weird squeaks or whatever.

"Beware though, I might mess up."

"You're perfect, Baekhyun."

Naturally, he misses the depth of what Chanyeol actually meant.

Clearing his throat once more, Baekhyun exercises his voice a bit more before he adjusts it into a low whisper. He doesn't remember the lyrics quite well, so he'll have to replace the words. Not like he cares, he's doing the other a favour anyway. He is not in the position to whine.

Baekhyun starts singing in a soft, whispery voice as he stumbles over the lyrics. Chanyeol chuckles at the new lyrics though, preferring how witty they are than the original.

Of course, it goes on until Baekhyun begins hearing a light breathing through the phone instead of chuckles. 
"Hyung, are you asleep?" Baekhyun whispers. "Chanyeolee-hyung?"

There's no answer.

Looks like my job here is done.

"You really fell asleep on me, how rude," Baekhyun snickers. "But then again, I did that to help you fall asleep. Oh well. Good night hyung, sweet dreams. Dream of me if you can, though. My mere existence graces people with goodluck."

Baekhyun ends the call and drifts into his own slumber.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Why are you always late?!" Luhan complains, watching their Bucheon-based friend run towards him and Kyungsoo. They agreed to meet up at a mall in the small town to purchase the first batch of EXO's concert DVD, choosing this place so they could easily buy one rather than buy from stores in Seoul where it would definitely be a war.

"Fashionably late," Baekhyun corrects him with a confident smile as he wipes off his sweat with a flair of drama and effect.

"Sheesh, your standing in school is getting into your head," Kyungsoo chides him playfully as he lightly flicks his forehead. Baekhyun lets out a cry as he shows him a kicked-puppy expression that immediately earns him a one-armed hug from the Ilsan-grown teen.

"Should we head for the entrance?" Luhan says, glancing at his wristwatch. "The mall will open in a few minutes, and the store will open ten minutes later. We have to be ready to be the first ones to get to the store."

"Roger that, Captain," Baekhyun says, saluting at him teasingly.

Although not much like it is in Seoul, the mall here in Bucheon is still a battlefield. A couple of fangirls are already waiting there, so the trio has to let them be and they line-up after them. It's not like a fight will actually break out, or they might have to throw fists (not literally).

"I'm sweating, I'm nervous," Kyungsoo deadpans, his agitation not appearing on his face as he presses his handkerchief onto his glistening forehead. "I can't handle this tension."

"You're too soft for this, Soo," Luhan chides him. "Seems like you need to toughen up a bit more."

"Cut Soo some slack," Baekhyun pouts as he places an arm over the other's shoulders. "I'm sure he's trying his best. And besides, Kyungsoo joined us just two years later. It's understandable."

"I know, I'm just looking out for you," Luhan winks. "Oh, and there goes the doors!"

The guards face a nightmare when a crowd of fans suddenly attack the entrance. Luhan is yelling, grabbing at the wrist of the other two as they dash fast towards the store. Good thing Baekhyun and Luhan are actually athletic while Kyungsoo is light on his feet, or they won't be able to make it.

"Waaahhhh, my first merch in months!" Baekhyun happily exclaims as he presses the concert DVD close to his chest. "I'm happy~"

"The shirt that comes with it is pretty dope!" Luhan comments as he extends his arms out to look at the shirt. It is a black shirt with fancy artwork that actually looks pretty good and something Baekhyun would wear. He's picky with buying EXO shirts since the designer team they hire does a wonderfully awful job, and they always end up as displays in his wardrobe.

"Should we wear it?" Kyungsoo asks.

"We should!" Luhan happily declares as he grabs hold of their wrists again and start dragging them out to the men's comfort room.

"I don't know guys, I don't think I'll wear it," Baekhyun uneasily says. "I'm not wearing a cap nor a mask, and if people from school see me-"

"No one will see you!" Luhan assures him. "It's a weekend, and this mall isn't even a hotspot for teens. Look, most are adults and the only teens are those in the store lining uo for EXO merch. You'll be safe."

Baekhyun sighs and just simply gives in.

Really though, what could go wrong?

Lots of things could go wrong, and there's one wrong that could happen that would change Baekhyun's life upside down.

"It definitely looks cool," Kyungsoo comments as they stand in front of the mirror.

"Selfie!" Luhan chirps as he starts snapping photos in front of the mirror.

Baekhyun smiles, feeling so happy and lighthearted in the midst of people who love the same people as he does. Being with Kyungsoo and Luhan is as easy and comfortable as being with Chanyeol.

Maybe he shouldn't have started thinking about Chanyeol, nor should Baekhyun have agreed to wear the damn shirt because as they approach a curve, Baekhyun sees the devil himself staring straight at him with those familiar brown eyes.

At that moment, Baekhyun freezes over like the lakes in Alaska when the temperature drops an all time low. His mouth is agape in shock as Chanyeol stares back at him in surprise too, letting go of the straw he is sipping on for a moment. Baekhyun prays he doesn't notice the outfit he is wearing - but too ing late. Chanyeol's eyes find their way on the shirt and on the plastic bag containing the concert DVD. He looks back up at Baekhyun and gives him a small amused smile before sipping on his drink again.

"I'm in trouble, you guys," Baekhyun says, quivering as he momentarily clutches on the other boys' arms.

"What's wrong?" Kyungsoo asks, concerned as he tilts his head to loom more closely at Baekhyun's agitated feature. He could only see that his sights are set on a particular dude standing several meters away.

"I'm sorry, but maybe you guys should go home," Baekhyun says, voice strained from anxiety. "I've been caught."

"What?!" Kyungsoo whispers loudly. "Who?!"

"Someone from my school," Baekhyun answers. "I'm so screwed."

"Bribe him or something!" Luhan says, pushing him away. "Let's just meet-up again tomorrow!"

Kyungsoo turns to him.

"We're staying? But I-"

"Yeah, all on me," Luhan says as he grips the other's wrist. "We'll be going now Baekhyun! Deal with this first! Call us if everything goes well... or even if it doesn't!"

Baekhyun nods and waves them away. Once they're out of distance, Baekhyun turns back to Chanyeol who has stopped on his tracks and is still looking at him. He takes a deep breath, mentally patting his back for encouragement and walks over to the older.

"Hey Chanyeolee-hyung," Baekhyun greets, tension in the air as he grips the plastic containing his DVD tightly.

"Hey, Hyunee," Chanyeol smiles. "Seems like you've got a lot of explaining to do."

Baekhyun nods with a helpless sigh.

"Walk with me? You're not busy?"

Chnayeol shrugs. "Nope, just came for food."

Baekhyun starts walking with Chanyeol following closely beside him. He is suddenly hyperaware of how close they are together, with shoulders nudging slightly and Baekhyun could even here the sound of Chanyeol slurping.

"So when did you plan on telling me that you're an EXO-L?" Chanyeol starts.

"Never," Baekhyun admits. "I never planned to. It's too embarassing."

"Then why are you strutting around here without covering up?"

"I usually do, but I forgot at the height of the excitement," Baekhyun utters sheepishly. "They just released their concert DVD, and I'm too excited since Loey looks so hot in here."

Chanyeol chuckles.

"You should have told me you were a fan, we could spazz over Loey together."

Baekhyun sighs. He feels so unsure about this but at the same time, why does he feel at ease?

"Hyung, can you please keep this a secret?" Baekhyun says, face screwed up in worry. "I'n still fairly popular among people at school, and once rumours break out, they will definitely ruin me-"

Chanyeol reaches out and ruffles his hair. Baekhyun closes an eye, peeking up at the older with the other, graced by the soft, affectionate smile across his face.

"We'll keep this a secret, don't worry," Chanyeol smiles.

"Do you promise, hyung?"

Chanyeol weaves an arm over Baekhyun's shoulders, pulling him closer towards him as he plants a kiss on his forehead. When he leans away, he laughs at the adorable startled expression across the younger's face.

"I promise."