It Goes Down Down, Baby

Tales of a Closeted Fanboy

Baekhyun didn't particularly like Park Chanyeol for a lot of things.

One, he's annoying. Baekhyun would be minding his own business at the library, then he'd just pop out of nowhere and disturb his peace. Of course, he wouldn't be caught dead interacting with Baekhyun in front of the other popular kids, but whenever Baekhyun is alone, he would go up to him without hesitation and use his privilege as a senior to coo at him and pinch his cheek, much to their schoolmates' astonishment. If Baekhyun tries to shoo him away, he would play the I'm-the-assistant-librarian-so-I-do-what-I-want card or simply babble away. Second, he's very nosy. Chanyeol would notice something and press Baekhyun on to tell him about this or that. Baekhyun would also be surprised that Chanyeol would notice his absence then he'd try to probe him, like an insect underneath a microscope.

Baekhyun could only imagine the trouble he'd go through when Park Chanyeol finds out about his secret. Oh dear heavens, let not that horrible day come. Just let him finish highschool without having to deal with a humiliation like that.

"A friend of mine keeps bugging me to set you two up on a date," Soojung monotonously says while she and Baekhyun walk down the hallway. They were from the same clique and while they rarely interacted, she was someone Baekhyun could be comfortable with besides Jongdae who is currently missing in action since yesterday. Baekhyun could only guess where that mess of a highschooler has gone to. He wouldn't be surprised if he had gone to Los Angeles just to party.

"And who is this friend?" Baekhyun asks with an equally bored tone.

"Someone I wouldn't recommend you should meet," Soojung sighs. "She can be creepy to people she likes too much, though. We all know the kind of effect you have on people you get into relationships with."

And right on cue, Aeyoung appears. Her hair is a rat's mess and her face is tearstained. She doesn't seem to notice Baekhyun and Soojung when she walks by.

Baekhyun chuckles to himself. "I see your point, Soojung."

Out of nowhere, a blur of movement passed in front of the two. Baekhyun's eyes widen when he realizes that it was Jiyong, and the person that he had slammed against the lockers was - surprise, surprise - no other than Park Chanyeol, whose face is scrunched up in pain. Jiyong is shorter, but he is seething while he firmly grips the collar of Chanyeol's shirt so he looked much more intimidating. People are starting to talk among themselves as their attention are directed at the scene, curious as to what is going on.

"What the ?!" Soojung shouts in shock as she hides behind Baekhyun, who is still staring at the scene dumbfoundly.

"Hey, Jiyong!" another senior that Baekhyun recognizes as Sandara appears, trying to pull Jiyong away. "Let Chanyeol go!"

"So you're going to replace me with this loser right here?" Jiyong hisses, eyes still boring deep into Chanyeol who is staring back at him emotionlessly. He shakes him then slams him back against the locker again, saying, "You, who do you think you are hitting on a girl who's already taken?"

"For 's sake, Jiyong, it's not what it's like!" Sandara cries. "Please let him go! I'll explain things to you, I promise!"

"Stop talking like you're scared of losing Sandara," Chanyeol leers. "It's not like you even love her."

Jiyong grits his teeth then swings his fist at Chanyeol's face, but not before Baekhyun steps in and catches his fist.

"Jiyong, calm down," Baekhyun orders him with a calm expression. "You can't stain your record of physically injuring someone, right? You're a clean student. Don't dirty your hands."

"This jerk deserves it," Jiyong hisses as he pulls his fist back. "Step away, Baekhyun. This is none of your business."

"ing hell Jiyong, you're embarrassing yourself. Sandara is not in some kind of relationship with Chanyeol behind your back."

Jiyong glares at the prince. "Then why did I see Chanyeol kiss Sandara's forehead at the parking lot yesterday?

"They're ing cousins, Jiyong!"

A silence ensues when Baekhyun announces that, until Soojung chuckles at this and is followed by the bystanders as well. Baekhyun feels sorry when Jiyong lets go of Chanyeol's shirt, red in the face from embarrassment before turning on his heels to run away.

"I'm really sorry!" Sandara says, bowing towards Chanyeol, Baekhyun and the clump of people watching before she runs after Jiyong, calling out to him.

Baekhyun clears his throat and displays a bright smile at the onlookers. "It's alright now, everything's fine. Nothing interesting here anymore. You can go back to class now."

Obeying to what he just said, everyone turns their attention to their own business, leaving Baekhyun and Chanyeol alone.

"Hey, I'll be going first," Soojung says as she quickly escapes the scene.

Baekhyun waves the other girl off before crossing his arms and turns towards Chanyeol, who is turning his head around while massaging his neck. Yep, even if he didn't particularly like Chanyeol, he still didn't like to see him in pain after all, which is why he had tried to save him. He finds it weird too, not too sure why he feels that way.

Raising an eyebrow, the younger asks, "Why on earth didn't you tell Jiyong that Sandara was your cousin?"

Chanyeol chuckles. With a faint smirk, he shrugs and says, "I wanted to rile him up."

"You're stupid."

"Why?" Chanyeol lazily smiles. "It's fun, especially if I'm making an idiot out of those popular kids. They're not that untouchable like they make it out to be, after all."

Baekhyun rolls his eyes. "Wow, all this time you're someone with this stupid hatred for those at the highest hierarchy in highschool? Nice. Suppose you're coming for me so you could also get the chance to let everyone see me like an idiot too?"

Chanyeol's face is wiped out of emotion as he stares at Baekhyun for a few moments before he reaches out and places a hand at the side of Baekhyun's head.

"You're different," he says with a soft smile.

Baekhyun flashes a look of distaste before slapping the senior's hand away.

During lunch that day, the air is heavier than usual. The table isn't filled with gossip, laughter and banter. When Baekhyun sits down between Miyoung and Hansol, Jiyong speaks up, "Why did you embarrass me this morning?"

The prince only shrugs as he unwraps his burger, unfazed by the intimidating glare the older is shooting him. "I told you. It's not good for you to dirty your record like that. I basically saved you from doing community service this summer."

"That's not it, Baekhyun. Why did you have to do that? I'm a laughingstock now."

"Well it was the truth," Baekhyun smiles. "Ease up, they're going to forget about it. At least Sandara would be enjoying the fact that her boyfriend who had been acting cold towards her recently had tried to beat up a cousin that he thought was someone she was cheating with. Thanks to me, your image has improved. From to boyfriend."

Jiyong closes his yes, trying to manage his temper. "I swear to god Baekhyun if you do that again, I'm going to beat up your ."

"I was right, though."

The senior sighs to himself before smirking. "Who is Chanyeol even to you, Baekhyun? You usually don't involve yourself into our drama. Why suddenly butting in for that loser?"

"The guy looked like his lungs were about to fall out, that's why I butted in," Baekhyun retaliates. "I also didn't want a murder to happen there right in front of my eyes, especially if I actually had the power to stop it first. I'm a pacifist."

"Come on guys, stop," Jihyun says with a nervous little giggle. "We're trying to eat lunch in peace here."

"Then tell Jiyong to just ing eat his salad," Baekhyun hisses.

"Then tell Baekhyun to just admit that he's gay and in love with a ing loser, that's why he did that."

Baekhyun's chest explodes into anger. He stands up just Jiyong and was so ready to fight his but their friends stop them and force them to sit down.

", let go of me!" Baekhyun shouts as he shoves the people who are holding his arms back. He gathers his lunch and stuffs them back into his bag before walking out, all eyes on him until he leaves the suffocating confines of the cafeteria.

Gym class came after lunch. Baekhyun didn't attend gym class if there was no important test, so he had all the time in the afternoon to just relax and take a breather - away from the toxicity that he had made himself live in ever since freshman year.

All his life, Baekhyun had preferred to be on his own, to only work by himself and trust no one but himself. Being with others would just cause nothing but conflict and disarray. But he is well aware that he couldn't fully function on his own, that's why he played his cards and climbed his way up to the popular ranks.

Sometimes Baekhyun thought about what would he be right now if he had tried to travel the path that didn't involve the other popular kids. He'd be a simple and content person who excelled in his academics through resilience while loving and supporting EXO as much as he wants. He wouldn't be a closeted fan by now because he didn't have to upkeep a certain image. Hell, he would probably be embracing his homouality rather than keeping it dormant inside him.

There's nothing he could do anymore at this point. Baekhyun would just have to deal with everything until it all ends and he finishes attending this hellhole.

On his trek for somewhere to stay before he attends the subject after gym class, Baekhyun passes by the empty open court. There is currently no one there, so he decides to just stay at the bleachers for the next two hours.

The breeze is cool and feels good against Baekhyun's face when he takes his spot at the highest row of the bleachers. Baekhyun had the misfortune of having a short height, so staying here at the top is giving him a childish satisfaction of having the view of someone tall at least for once at that moment. Maybe another reason why he dislikes Park Chanyeol is because he had the height that Baekhyun would never have. .

Taking out a fashion magazine from his bag which he only bought just because EXO was at the front cover, Baekhyun starts to waste his time admiring his favourite idols. Really, the EXO members are the visuals of the century. Besides their explosive charm because of their talents and charisma, they had the best faces that Baekhyun had ever laid his eyes on. People always told Baekhyun looks like a god, but he is nothing compared to EXO - round, sparkly eyes that seem to hold the galaxies, smooth, flawless skin, proud noses, sharp features, tan skin, buff, great bodies and tall heights... Everything that Baekhyun wants but could never have. He could only admire them and try to make himself look at least someone who could contest with their looks.

Try as he might, he'll never be able to do so, but he'll do it anyway.

"Since when did you like fashion?"

Baekhyun gasps and nearly rips the page with Loey's face on it when Chanyeol appears out of nowhere and suddenly asks him that goddamn question. Clutching his chest, Baekhyun glares at the senior as he tries to calm himself down.

"Why the do you keep on popping up like that?!" he exclaims in irritation. "Could you just appear like any normal person? You know, preferably without making me feel like I'm on the edge of a heart attack ever damn time?"

Chanyeol could only smile as he sits down. This time, he isn't armed with his sketchbook. Instead, he is armed with a guitar which surprisingly matches him.

"Sorry, I didn't know I have that effect on your heart," he winks charmingly at Baekhyun. "Anyways, why are you here? Why are you staring at that person's fac- Wait, isn't that Loey from EXO?"

Baekhyun quickly closes his magazine, but Chanyeol had swift hands that shouldn't ever be given to a nosy person but he was blessed with them anyway, so he manages to swipe the magazine out of Baekhyun's hands without trouble and flips through the pages.

"You like EXO?" Chanyeol asks.

, I love them with all my life, my heart, my mind, and my soul.

"Not really," Baekhyun casually answers as he just lets Chanyeol look through his precious magazine, his stoic face betraying the internal screams of misery and torment inside of him while looking at his magazine being treated with rough hands. Makes him want to punch Chanyeol in the face and teach him how to properly flip through a magazine.

"You were staring at Loey," Chanyeol says, showing Baekhyun's ultimate bias in just a coat with nothing underneath along with his black hair brushed up neatly and his eyebrows furrowed like that dammit he's getting hard just staring at it-

"Why would I stare at him?" Baekhyun blankly asks as he takes the magazine out of the senior's hands. "And would you mind, I'm trying to ease my boredom."

Chanyeol spreads his arms. "I'm here, you don't have to be bored."

"I'd rather be bored than be annoyed."

"Ouch," Chanyeol pouts. "Hey... Give me some love, Baekhyun. I'm also bored."

The prince simply ignores him.

Sighing, Chanyeol turns to his guitar and starts strumming to a song while singing along.

It takes Baekhyun only a few moments before he realizes Chanyeol is playing EXO's most recent comeback song, Ko Ko Bop. He starts to sweat, his hands clammy as he flips through his magazine, trying so hard to stop himself from singing along.

Chanyeol hums to the tune with his deep voice, picking up tempo as he nears the chorus.

this.

"It goes down down baby~" Baekhyun sings, which makes Chanyeol chuckle.

Yep, at this rate, you're really going down, Byun Baekhyun.

"You have a nice voice, Hyunee~" Chanyeol coos as he reaches out to ruffle Baekhyun's hair after the song.

"What the hell is a Hyunee?" Baekhyun grumbles as he leans away from Chanyeol's touch.

"A nickname for you," Chanyeol answers.

Baekhyun scowls as he flips through his magazine in annoyance. "We're not even friends."

Chanyeol suddenly leans in, the movement making Baekhyun turn abruptly to the side. He freezes, eyes wide when he notices the senior's face only mere centimeters away from his.

"Well if we aren't," Chanyeol says, voice deep and dropping low, with eyes sparkling in mirth. "would you like to be more?"

A cry leaves the senior's lips when Baekhyun finds control over his body again and he pushes Chanyeol's face away from him.

"Please don't speak nonsensical things," Baekhyun deadpans.

Chanyeol pouts, looking at the other male sullenly as he murmurs, "I was just joking."

Baekhyun definitely hopes this is all a joke, because why is his heart suddenly beating so fast?