THEY AND THEM

From Love, To Love

 

It’s the weekend and the day hasn’t dawned for Seungho yet, but sun is so up in the sky. Forcing himself out of the bed, he found his mom busy cooking in the kitchen. Taking his seat on the kitchen top, he said cheekily, “Good morning mom!”. Surprised at his greeting, Mrs. Yoo said while doing her chores, “It’s not usual for you to greet me especially in the afternoon! What is it?”. “Nobody knows me better than my mom”, he said giving a sheepish smile. Mrs. Yoo remarked, “Let's see if you can still say the same thing in front of your girlfriend”. “Wanna test it out?”, he asked in soft voice. Taken aback by his question, Mrs. Yoo asked expectantly, “Who is she?”. “Shall we meet her?”, he asked smiling.

 

In the evening, Seungho made a call to Sohyun to remind her of the meeting,

 

Shall we meet?

 

Why should I?

 

Shall we meet or shall I wait in front of your house? (Smiling slyly)

 

You’ll pay for it one day!

 

She said displeasured as he laughed and she hung up the phone.

 

Late in the evening, Mrs. Yoo said, “Do I look good?” adjusting the wrinkle on the sleeve of her navy-blue shirtwaist dress.  Looking at the efforts his mom has put, he said, “I think I shouldn't have told you too, about whom you are meeting”. “Too? Doesn't she know whom she is gonna meet?”, Mrs. Yoo asked.  He nodded.

 

Sohyun reached the restaurant’s waiting area dressed in a well fit peach colored sheath dress with floral pattern. The boat neck and the half sleeve gave the elegance while her wavy hair let loose over her shoulders gave the look of casual beauty. She planned to dress up instead of her usual jeans or long skirts, when she googled the location of the meet up that Seungho sent. The waiting area was filled with warm light and wealthy people in suits and dresses. The floor she stepped onto was so well polished to reflect the image of the hanging chandelier.

 

When everything told her that she is out of place, her nervousness crept in silently. But when she saw Seungho in his casual jeans and shirt which was tucked in only at the front, waiting for her restlessly walking back and forth in the waiting area near the desk, she smiled. His eyes widened and he stood stunned at her look smiling unconsciously. Gathering his senses, he took few steps forward and stood at a few steps far while reaching out his hand for her to hold. Her eyes darted between his hands and eyes, contemplating if she should hold his hand or not. He noticed her hesitation but, he stood still, lending his hand out to her. She gave a wholesome smile, took a step forward, placed her hand on his and let him hold her hand. He held her hand in his and caressed with his thumb.

 

While gripping his hold on her hand, he escorted her to the private dining area had floor to ceiling glass windows with dim lights at its bottom. The candle light in the center of the round table, enhanced the cherry red colored seats oozing out the expensive look. On reaching the dining area, Sohyun was astonished to see Mrs. Yoo sitting there. She gripped her hold and held his hand firmer as they walked towards the table. When saw Mrs. Yoo welcoming her with an easy smile, she was sure, that Mrs. Yoo don't know her.

 

“Mom, this is Sohyun”, he said smiling while curtailing his nervousness to ease Sohyun.

 

With Mrs. Yoo’s eyes fixated on Sohyun, she smiled.

 

“Hello Aunty, I’m Kim Sohyun. I’m doing medicine in the same college as Seungho-sshi”, Sohyun introduced herself stringing every word.

 

Mrs. Yoo smiled and asked them to take their seat. Sohyun noticed that her mom didn't realize the word ‘Kim’, so she said, “Aunty, I’m the one who recently involved in the accident on the next day after the verdict”.

 

On seeing Mrs. Yoo whose eyes widened on realization, Sohyun held his hand under the table and he held her hand firmly in his both hands. She continued, “We didn’t want to succeed the hate, is it wrong, Aunty?”

 

Mrs. Yoo was taken aback by her question but smiled at her and told Seungho, “I never thought your girlfriend would be this pretty. But I’m really glad that she is wise too”. She directed her smile at Sohyun and said with soft voice, “You see, I don’t have any influence on the decisions taken my son and the same goes with Seungho’s father”. Sohyun understood the meaning behind her words. “We just need your blessings”, Sohyun responded quickly but politely assuring her that besides her support, she doesn't need anything else. Mrs. Yoo relayed her support through a gentle smile. The density of atmosphere around them became lighter with time.

 

While they are about to leave, Mrs. Yoo received a call. Her face which threw a smile like an old friend, became serious as the conversation proceeded. They couldn't hear the conversation but they could see the weight of the words conveyed to Mrs. Yoo. After the call ended, Mrs. Yoo looked at them with empathy and said, “Regarding the accident and its related rumors… both of your fathers are planning to have a meeting next week”. Her words struck them like a lightening.

 

Shortly after conveying the message, Mrs. Yoo left for home in the car while Seungho drove his bike to drop Sohyun. Both went silent after Mrs. Yoo’s mention of the meeting. While being engulfed by her own thoughts, she slowly leaned on his back while embracing him and gripping her hold on his black jacket. His black jacket didn't stop him from feeling her warmth and hold. She uttered, “Your mom…”. Since he couldn’t hear anything because of the wind, he asked, “what?”. She tapped on his shoulder to stop the bike. He saw her looking worried through the side mirror, so he immediately changed the lanes to halt. He stopped, took off his helmet and got off his bike by throwing his leg around the front as Sohyun continued to sit behind even after the halt with her head held low.

 

He stood on the curb facing her. She took off her helmet, straightened her back, raised her chin to meet his eyes. On seeing her worried look, he knitted his brows and kneeled on one leg to have the same level of sight. He looked at her and raised his eyebrows questioning the look on her face. She gave him a weak smile and said with soft voice,

“Your mm is so kind. I knew I would be meeting someone important but never thought it would be your mom. Thank God, I dressed up!”

 

“My mom is always supportive of my decisions. But this time, rather than supporting my choice, she likes my choice”, he said giving her a wholesome smile.

 

She nodded and with a reminiscing smile she said, “My dad was a heavy smoker. He used to smoke in the alley near the school if he comes early to pick me up from my kindergarten. One day, when he picked me up in his arms, I told him ‘Daddy, let me down, it stinks. Don’t smoke if you are going to lift me up!’. I said without giving any thought to it but my dad stopped smoking from that day.”

 

“So, what are you worried about? You can just tell him ‘Don’t reject him”, he said giving a cheeky smile.

“Did you forget about the purpose of their meeting?”, she asked him raising her brows.

 

“If we don't serve the purpose of their meeting, then what are you worried about?”

 

She pointed her fingers towards her head and said, “In here your words makes sense but…” pointing towards her heart, she continued “… in here it doesn't!”

 

Rubbing his hands, he looked at her with a sly smile and said closing in, “Then, let me take a look at it!”

 

She slapped his forehead making him fall backward. She said with victorious smile, “It’s getting late.”

 

He smiled at her knowing his comment has eased her mood. He dropped her at a few yards ahead of her house. She got down and secured her helmet in the helmet lock on his bike, walked to the front to face him and whispered, “People might see you, so leave now!”

 

He nodded smiling.

By the time he took a U-turn, Sohyun reached near her house. He saw her opening the gate and shouted from about 100 yards,

“GOOD NIGHT, MY ALL!”

Sohyun who was startled at his shout, quickly bent her head down to hide her face. She hushed him and waved him to leave. He laughed at her response. As he watched her, he was overwhelmed by her cute actions and gave her an air kiss before riding off.

Next day in the college during the lunch, Sohyun got a text from Yoonhwa, ‘Sohyun-ah! Come to my department quickly, it’s urgent!

Sohyun rushed to her department on seeing her message. She found Yoonhwa waiting for her in the entrance. On seeing Sohyun, Yoonhwa shouted, “What took you so long?”, grabbed her hand, dragged her to the staircase and pointed towards the landing platform of the staircase above them. Sohyun saw a girl confessing her love to Seungho. Yoonhwa said to Sohyun, “She is my junior, Minseo who is known of her good looks and students say she is soft hearted. She used to get many proposals but I never thought she would propose to someone!”. Yoonhwa curtailed her excitement when she found Sohyun staring at her.

Friends of both Seungho and Min Seo stood at a feet’s distance to give them a privacy. Seungho scratched the back of head smiling, trying to find the right words to say. At that time, one of the friends of the girl commented, “You two look together!”. His smile disappeared. One of Seungho’s classmate joined with them and remarked, “Just confess that you like her already!”.

Piqued by their statements, Seungho furrowed his brows in exasperation and told her friend, “I don’t think we look good together!” and turned towards his classmate and continued, “Can’t you see I’m struggling to find words to reject her politely?!”. On hearing it, the girl walked down the stairs with her head held low. On realizing the words that has escaped from his mouth, Seungho grimaced in guilt. When he turned to see the girl walking down, he found Sohyun standing at the end of the stairs. His eyes widened at her presence as he walked down thinking about what she had seen.

Seungho walked down the stairs following her but Sohyun confronted him and said with stern face, “You should watch the words you utter!”. Sohyun was relieved to hear his reply but she didn’t like the way he responded. Her heart sank when she saw the girl walking down wiping her tears that ran down her cheek.

“Girls’ emotions are like a swing that sways. But anyways, it’s none of your business”, he said with straight face while Yoonhwa gasped at the thought ‘Not your girlfriend’s business?’.

“A swing doesn’t sway on its own!”, she said with impassioned face but in a soft voice and left the scene. As Sohyun left the department, Yoonhwa followed her and asked, “Are you really ok with him saying like that?”.

“Like what?”

“He said its none of your business”.

Sohyun smiled and said, “That’s a fine line between knowing our partner’s personal life and invading their privacy”. Her words puzzled Yoonhwa but she got that answer that Sohyun is okay with him saying like that.

After Sohyun left, her words echoed in him emphasizing the responsibility he holds in his every action. Later, he apologized to Minseo and her friends for his choice of words but he stated his disinterest in a relationship strongly and firmly.

As the days passed, the unwelcomed weekend knocked on the doors of the meeting room. Sohyun and Mr. Kim arrived at a building belonging with Yoo industries’ where the meeting is being held. The building stood tall with its facet glazed using laminated glass panels. Her hands became cold with nervousness and her eyes wavered with uneasiness. As she entered the building, she received a text from Seungho, ‘I’m downstairs’. Those simple words struck a chord in her to smile and gave her support. She firmly clutched her phone in her hand and walked ahead with unwavering eyes.

The hallway of the building where the meeting is held felt familiar to her as she walked through a large wooden door which was painted gold by the sunlight sprayed through the floor to ceiling glass windows in the hallway. She entered the meeting room with Mr. Kim where the walls were lined with wooden acoustic panels and each seat had a screen on the conference table displaying the contents on the presentation. she took her seat beside her father, on the one side of a big round conference table. The other side was occupied by the shareholders of the company which was sued. They greeted Mr. Kim with straight face and continued to discuss the documents in their hand.

Everyone arrived except for Mr. Yoo. He came at the last minute and the meeting started immediately after his arrival. Since, the company sued is a private limited company, only few shareholders can have a stake on the company and no new members can hold a share except them. So, everyone was invited and everyone were present except Mr. Park. He was close to the CEO who was arrested and disappeared on the day of the verdict and is still out of reach. The shareholders claimed that they are already affected by the closure and wouldn’t venture into another act that would damage their fame too. They requested Mr. Kim to release a statement to shut down the rumors regarding their involvement in the accident. Mr. Yoo also claimed, “Though I’m not involved in the case, just the mention of my company’s name in both the suit and the rumors had its toll on our shares”.

Mr. Kim replied on a serious note, “You can press charges against the tabloids for the offense of defamation since you are not involved with the company sued. It’s good that you withdrew your contract with them before the stay order was issued otherwise it would be a severe blow. I must thank you for your presence in clearing the rumors and doubts, even though you aren’t part of the suit”.

“I too have some things to discuss with you. So, don’t thank me yet”, Mr. Yoo replied forcing a smile.

When the meeting ended everyone left their seat to leave the room. Mr. Yoo asked Mr. Kim and Sohyun to stay seated. She felt uneasy about it. She could feel the turbulent flow of her blood in her head with the tension around them. After everyone left the room, Mr. Yoo asked Mr. Kim, “Do you know my son, Seungho?”. Sohyun held her breath at the spill of his words.

“I know that you have a son”, Mr. Kim replied calmly.

Mr. Yoo smiled and said, “He said he won’t succeed the company and never stepped in this building after he made that decision. But, now he is here!”. He looked at Sohyun and continued, “Not because of the company but because of your daughter!” 

Sohyun looked at Mr. Kim whose eyes widened upon realization. She was caught off guard. She didn’t expect this. She wasn’t ready for this. Her cold hands needed warmth of Seungho’s hands and even the distance between the floors felt miles apart. She didn’t know if Mr. Yoo was furious or cold or calm. She couldn’t read his smiling poker face.

Mr. Yoo continued, “I’m here to talk about my son and your daughter. I gave him the freedom to choose his own path and break the barriers”

Mr. Kim interrupted, “But I raised my daughter to define her path and not to cross the boundaries”. She gripped her phone as she felt the friction.

Mr. Yoo smirked and said, “Don’t mistake me. I’m not here to oppose their relationship. Legally, I don’t have a say, even if he was in a relationship with any girl on the street, right? I had the confidence that he will find his own life but never once I thought he will fall in a love affair”

Sohyun retorted, “No one laid out a bait to catch your son”. Mr. Kim silenced her and said infuriated, “I appreciate your concern but my daughter is not ‘any girl on the street’”

Mr. Yoo remarked, “I didn’t mean that. Let’s not drag the inferiority complex into our discussion. My son will hold me responsible for the aftermath of this meeting, what should I answer?”

Following Mr. Kim, Sohyun stood up from their respective seats and he said, “Tell him not to include my daughter in his path of life.”

Seungho who stayed downstairs in the waiting area, saw the shareholders leaving the building. He waited for Sohyun keeping an eye on the elevator. It been a while but Sohyun, Mr. Kim and Mr. Yoo didn’t come down yet. He fidgeted tapping his hands on the arm rest of his seater. He felt restless as the time passed. His phone beeped from the message sent by Yooram. On reading it, Seungho stood up with a huge thump on the arm rest and clenched his hands as he took the elevator to the meeting room.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author’s notes:

Dear readers and subscribers, hello! Long time no chapter, right? Sorry for the late update. I scrapped my fingers trying to zipline (I’m embarrassed to admit it) and while being careful with it, I burnt my hand trying to help with the cooking (second blow). I tried my best to type with my left hand. I thought I could finish it in time but I couldn’t. Hope you’ll excuse me for the late updates.

P.S: During the delay, I found shyshy couple forum ;) I don’t usually read shipper’s forum, coz in the past I felt some are invading the privacy of the celebrities. But, I read about 75% of the 200 pages. Wow! Flutters! But, at first, I want to thank you for maintaining a decent forum without slashing other celebrities and without spreading any rumor. I chose to make them as leads coz of their chemistry but now, feeling proud of shyshy couple shippers. Hats off to shyshy shippers! Hope you all stay the same:)

- From a fan of shyshy shippers ;)