FELL IN BETWEEN THE CRACKS!

From Love, To Love

The empty white hospital hallway might pose like a wedding aisle and the tread through both lanes isn’t idealistic but, a hospital hallway has heard more prayers than the aisle of a church.  Striding through the hallway of white, the red numbers on the black electronic clock attached to the ceiling in the middle of the hallway always reminded her to stride not stroll. Hugging a patient’s report in one arm and swinging the other arm, Sohyun made her way towards the chief surgeon, Dr. Park’s room. On seeing him leave his room and walking in the other direction, she ran after him. He was a wise person, and his wise hairs always speak of his knowledge and experience in life and medicine. Though his age may group him into old, his brisk steps make most interns to run in order to catch up with his pace and also his wisdom.

Sohyun caught up with his pace, and while trying her best to mask her panting, she reported the patient’s recovery rate in nutshell. He listened to her calmly and said, “It’s good that the recovery is going smooth, but …”. As she was listening to him, a person passed by her after gently bumping her aside. She saw a person in blue shirt in hindsight but ignored and got back to lending her ears to Dr. Park. The blue shirt passed by her after nudging her again. That was intentional! It irked her, and her forehead furrowed drawing her brows together. With her pupils flared, she turned towards that person. Like calm after a storm, the creases in her forehead cleared out and a smile peeked through the corner of her lips at the sight of Seungho.

After seeking her attention, he broad smile came over his lips. And curtailing her smile, Sohyun directed her attention back to Dr. Park. Seungho patiently waited for her at the end of the hallway at a few metres away from them. When Dr. Park left, she looked around to check for presence of anyone and ran over to him. He opened his arms welcoming her into an embrace. In a tight hug, he buried his face in the crook of her neck and spoke in soft voice, “I missed you!”

At the spell of his words, she broke the hug; glanced around and after ensuring no one is around, she leaned in and tiptoed to land her soft and gently parted lips on his cheek. After her quick kiss, he cupped her face; puckered his lips and kissed on her forehead with ‘Muah’. With wide grin their face, he stood locking his gaze on her while she asked, “Why are you here?”

“Accompanied Mr and Mrs. Kang for their check-up… but, actually I had other ideas…”, he said giving a sly smile to which she crossed her arms and raised a brow at him. “Do you have to stay tonight too?”, he asked.

She shook her head saying, “No, I’ll be home early!”

“Actua…”, he was interrupted by the buzzing phone of Sohyun’s. On checking the phone, a dejection fell on her face, “I have to go! I’ll visit Mrs. Kang during my break!”, she uttered in a hurry and ran away after throwing him a smile.

Under the golden sky, she made her way through the streets which looked unfurnished without busy people. After three long days, she was walking through the street again. With the sun behind her back and her shadow in front of her, she strolled in-between.

On reaching her house, she opened the door and witnessed the mess that filled the house. Her mind went blank. Blanket and pillows were on the couch, the coffee table carried the packed foods that was half eaten, empty coke cups and written and printed papers were lying around. Looked like he spent his nights on the couch. Having seen the plight of living room, she didn’t want to take a look at the kitchen which will obviously be scarier.

Giving up on the cleaning, she threw herself on the bed. Though she closed her eyes, she couldn’t close her mind from the messes. She turned over and tried again to sleep, but it never let her to. With a scrunched-up face, she dragged herself out of bed and started cleaning. The more she cleaned up, the more she realized how messier it was. “Yoo Seungho! You’ll pay for it one day!”, she chanted while cleaning.

After tidying up everything, she fell on the sofa exhausted. At the fall of her, the doorbell rang. “Ya! Yoo Seungho!”, she got up from the sofa fuming. When she attended the door, she was surprised to see her mom and Jiwoo. Mrs. Kim stood there with slight asymmetrical smile along with sadness and gladness pasted over the top. As tears welled in the eyes, Sohyun hugged her mom. Embracing her in a warm hug, Mrs. Kim patted on her back to ease her emotions.

Sohyun welcomed her in and breathed out in relief for getting the house cleaned on time. Mrs. Kim sat on the couch while her eyes wandered around. Sohyun sat beside her mom and at the thought of how long it has been since she saw her mom and how long will it take to see her again, Sohyun broke out in tears while leaning on her shoulder. Mrs. Kim held her face and wiped her tears, hardly controlling hers. Mrs. Kim spoke, “The care you’re showing me, when you saw me; if you have even a little, when you do not see me, would be much better! You didn’t even bother if we’re living or…” Wiping her tears, Sohyun stood up in the middle of her sentence saying, “I do have a care for you in plenty, you’re not recognising it! Not a day passed without your thoughts and its distress! And Jiwoo…”, she directed her words to Jiwoo, “how many times have I tried to reach you? Your answers are always short and repetitive! Have you ever once came on the line? You too have kept your distance, didn’t you?”

“It’s not like that Sohyun-ah…”, Jiwoo spoke up and hugged her on seeing Sohyun shedding the tears.

After breaking away from the hug, Sohyun wiped her tears asking, “How’s dad?”

With downcast eyes, Mrs. Kim spoke, “If how means the abstinence of disease or infirmity, he is doing good.”  

“Why?  What happened to dad? What do you mean?”, Sohyun’s words were filled with worry as she felt apprehensive.

“What do I know? Did I study medicine?”, Mrs. Kim retaliated as she broke out in tears, “Doctors say there is nothing wrong with him physically, but the mental stress that has piled up has clearly deteriorated his health and recommended a psychologist but, he wants to stick with medicines and is stubborn on not undergoing such therapy! I’m afraid he is paving way to self-destruction! I think he’ll get better if he sees you!”.

On seeing guilt stricken Sohyun with her tears running down her cheeks, Mrs. Kim changed the subject, “Can I have a glass of water?”

Sohyun rushed to kitchen and opened the fridge to get a bottle. Mrs. Kim who followed her scrutinized the fridge with her eyes and scanned the kitchen and the provisions.

Mrs. Kim wanted to see the plight of her daughter’s daily life so, she came unannounced. She scrutinised to find out whether she buys rice and groceries on weekly basis or on monthly basis or was she living on processed foods? Because, helps in guesstimating the affordability and time poverty. But, nothing can be more evident than the words uttered in person, so Mrs. Kim asked hesitantly, “Are you happy?”

Giving her mom a glass of water, she nodded with a smile saying, “I’m happy with him. But, it doesn’t mean that you weren’t part of my happiness…”

“I know”, Mrs. Kang replied with an understanding smile.

“I’ll prepare something for the dinner…”, Sohyun said and walked towards the fridge.

Mrs. Kim stopped Sohyun by grabbing her hand, “Dad, doesn’t know we came to see you. With the excuse of visiting physiotherapist, I left home to meet you! I have to go now…”

“Seungho will be back soon, won’t you meet him?”, Sohyun’s eyes pleaded.

“Some other time…”, Mrs. Kim said and gripped Sohyun’s shoulder giving her assurance.

After sending them off, Sohyun’s mind was clouded with the demand of meeting her father.

Later that night, when Seungho entered the tidy house, oblivious of Mrs. Kim’s visit, he knew, that he is gonna get fried by Sohyun for not only creating disarray, also for not helping with the cleaning. When heard the footsteps approaching, he kept his sheepish smile on the standby and prepared himself to face her.

To his surprise, she received him with a sweet smile. While trying to deduce the reason behind her smile, he took careful steps.

She outstretched her arms for a hug, “Aren’t you glad I’m home?”, she said teasing.

“I am!”, he replied while embracing her in a tight hug.

After taking a bath and changing into leisurewear tee and pyjama pants, he sat beside her on the couch, throwing his arm around her and joined her in watching the TV.

As soon as he took his seat, she turned off the TV and sat facing him. Sohyun’s eyes looked thoughtful. “Are you free this weekend?”, her voice sounded.

“Why?”

“Mom dropped by…”

“Your mom?!”, his eyes widened.

“Mm…”, she nodded.

“You should’ve told me… I would’ve come earlier!”

“She came unannounced… Under the excuse of visiting physiotherapy center, she visited me… She didn’t tell dad…”

Seungho nodded with downcast eyes. The mention of her father reminded him of that day.

Sohyun noticed the subtle drawdown in him and spoke softly, and carefully, “About my dad…”. She contemplated adding in the next sentence and chose to wait for his response

“What happened? Anything serious?”, he sat up straight lending his ear.

After explaining him about Mr. Kim’s health, Sohyun paused. “I think we should visit him!”, she finished it in single breath.

His stress may pile up with my visit. Your mom might’ve realized that too that’s why she dropped by when I’m not at home. He didn’t want to relive THAT DAY again, for her dad’s sake. “Your mom told you about your father’s condition without my knowledge…”

Before he could complete his sentence, his words have been misinterpreted by Sohyun, “Mom wasn’t planning to avoid you!” She resurrected her own fear.

He clearly knew his intentions were misunderstood but clearing it will dig up the happenings of THAT DAY which might upset her the most. Importantly, he held his pride in not disclosing that he has failed miserably in getting on her father’s good side. So, he chose the toxic path, “I won’t be available… not that day, not any other day!”

 Sohyun’s desperate voice nervously sounded, “He raised me and supported my decision to take up the medicine. And now, he’s not well! If I don’t go there, what’s the use of studying medicine?”

“I understand… I never forbid you from meeting anyone! You can go, see your dad and I’ll stay here”. Unable to bear the pain reflected in her eyes, he averted his gaze away from her.

“In this world, I have very few people who I need in my life! Do I have to forsake them for you? If I want them, do I have to forsake you? How is it possible?”, her tears spoke as it ran down her cheeks.

As tears started to well in his eyes too, he wiped her tears and cupped her face, “You visit your dad tomorrow, I’ll be waiting for you here! And…”, he choked, “… if you don’t want me to-”. She covered his mouth with her hands stopping him from uttering another word and leaned on his shoulder crying. He patted on her back and hid the tears that escaped his eyes while internally cursed himself for eventually ended up in hurting her.

The night went long as it was spent in silence. The sleep was tiring, as they struggled to avoid facing each other in bed. Sacrificing their vision for each other, they’re left with only the dreams.

The next morning, was quieter than ever. They were awake with heavy eyes and heart. Their words were never pronounced, and their eyes never met. The goodbye kiss that never failed to express their love, never got the chance to even get felt.

Sohyun’s day at hospital was hectic but that didn’t help her to forget her worries. To her surprise, she met Yoonhwa, her only friend in college who went off the radar as soon as she got a job in Busan. She visited the hospital to get a fitness certificate for her new job.

“Another job?”, Sohyun asked with widened eyes.

“It’s called career improvement!”, she replied jokingly.

When Yoonhwa asked her about her married life. Sohyun’s words which told her ‘she’s good, happy, and other clichés’, though true failed in convincing Yoonhwa because her spirit doesn’t match well with her words. “I used to tell my colleagues that you two were the ideal couple!”, she said exposing her thoughts to which Sohyun gave a half smile. Bothered by Sohyun’s forlorn face, Yoonhwa confronted her, “What’s with that long face? It’s not like he is cheating on you! You’ll get over this fight like you always do!” and took her leave.

When Sohyun made her way to her floor carrying the bomb that Yoonhwa threw at her, “Excuse me!”, a brazen voice from behind shook her.  Startled at the voice which sounded like Dr. Oh’s, she turned with her head hung low, “Yea (Yes), Seonsaengnim!”

On hearing the giggles, Sohyun quickly looked up to see Jaeha trying hard to control his laughter by covering his mouth. On seeing her rolling her eyes, he remarked, “Were you expecting someone else? Dr. Oh perhaps?”

“I’m not in the mood to get generous enough to laugh at silly jokes”

“Ah! That hurts!”, he said holding his chest as if he was hit by her sharp arrow of words. Receiving her straight face as reply, he said, “Then…”

“Later… Let’s talk later… I have to report to Dr. Oh”, her sluggish voice cut in.

As she took her leave, he nodded with a victorious smirk.

After her work got over late in the evening, she walked with heavy steps back home. When the train paused at her stop, she got up to leave but, instead he sat back in her seat. She decided to talk it out with Seungho at the moment. She didn’t want to go home with heavy heart. So, she made her way towards his office.

On reaching the building, she decided to wait for him in the restaurant on the ground level. She made her way towards the restaurant while taking out her phone from her handbag to make the call. On entering the restaurant, she saw Seungho and Minseo having their dinner together, just two of them. Just a step in their direction and she immediately halted on seeing the laughs and smiles. When Seungho hugged Minseo with a wide grin, the bomb that Yoonhwa threw exploded and Sohyun’s heart sank. Without another word, without another look, she walked out of the restaurant in tears.

Yoonpark who was in the restroom, joined Seungho and Minseo and resumed his dinner saying, “I can’t believe I am spending my money for my brother’s marriage treat! If you are close with my brother, then you should ask him!”

“Your brother has already invited me to the bachelor’s party this weekend. How can I be shameless to ask for more?”, Seungho replied.

“So, you’re asking me?”

“Yup!”

Yoonpark sighed out loud on realizing it’s Seungho, the warrior of words that he is dealing with.

“By the way, what’s with the happy atmosphere between you two?”, Yoonpark asked mentioning their hug.

“She helped me with the matter that I desperately need!”, Seungho replied with beaming eyes.

“The counselling session for Mr. Kim?”, Yoonpark asked

Seungho nodded.

Minseo replied, “My sister’s father-in-law is a close friend of Mr. Kim who frequents counselling sessions. So, I told him to make sure that he drags Mr. Kim with him!”

“How is it going on your side?”, Yoonpark asked Seungho.

“Found the physiotherapy center that Mrs. Kim visit!”

“Good for you! Do I have to do these too? To gain the favour of in-laws?”, Yoonpark commented.

When Seungho eagerly went home to tell Sohyun about his arrangements, he found her sleeping. He didn’t want to disturb her slumber, so he decided to start her next day with the good news.

In the next morning, by the time Seungho woke up, she had already left for work leaving a note that she’ll be back home late. She wanted to get rid of the poisonous thoughts, so that she could face him. Though she is aware that getting rid of doubts is not in any way better than resolving it, she couldn’t help it.

And Seungho decided that he’ll share the arrangement he made for Mr. Kim’s counselling after it became successful. He didn’t want to raise her hope.

Days rolled on… like the waning moon, their sweet interactions waned. While Seungho presumed she is having a hard time because of her father, she assumed that his love has inclined in the other direction.

One evening, Seungho and Sohyun arrived at the bachelor’s party. The party was full of young people. If it wasn’t an outdoor party, there might be a high probability of suffocation. After congratulating the couples, Seungho went to meet his friends, while Sohyun chatted with Yoonpark’s girlfriend.

When the clock struck ten, the crowd started dispersing and within few minutes, only fifteen people who were close to the groom remained. The remaining people took their seat in a large rectangular dinner table and filled themselves with the drinks.

Seeing the groom never leaving the bride’s side, one of the girls commented, “You’re all over her! Give her some space to breathe!”

“It’ll last only till the honeymoon phase, after that they’ll be at poles!”, one of groom’s friends responded.

“Why are you scaring me instead of congratulating me?”, groom asked bewildered.

The groom’s friend retorted, “Why don’t you ask Seungho who has set the ideal relationship goals!”.

The groom directed his attention towards Seungho while the bride directed her attention to Sohyun who was seated opposite to Seungho at the table.

Groom probed, “What do you say?”

Yoonpark asked Seungho, “Marriage is very difficult, isn’t it?” To which Seungho nodded promptly.

“Hey!! You’re all happily married and you’re scaring him who’s gonna get married?”, retaliated Yoonpark’s girlfriend.

Sohyun joined their conversation with, “After marriage, all men will be like this! Their hues will get faded and the true colours will be out!”

“Like what?”, Seungho asked in his half-drunk mode.

“First they’ll open the car door for you…”, Sohyun listed.

“Yeah…”, everyone chorused.

“Then, they’ll hold the umbrella for you!”

“For sure…”, everyone chorused.

“Then, they’ll coerce you with words like, ‘You look beautiful even when you’re angry’”

“Exactly…”, all females chorused.

“Then, they’ll call you by sweet names like my leading lady, my all, …” Sohyun’s sentence was completed by a girl who screamed, “My bae!”, to which everyone cheered.

“After marriage….”, Sohyun sang.

“After?”, everyone chorused.

“Everything will fly out of the windows!”, Sohyun finished her enlightening speech.

As everyone laughed, the bride exclaimed, “Plausible!”. The groom added, “One word, marriage is a … yes or no?”

“You get married!”, Seungho replied in semi-drunken state, “Bcoz, the difficulties I’m undergoing, let this whole world undergo too!”

“Difficulties? Doesn’t the saying go like ‘The Happiness I’m undergoing, let the whole world undergo too’?” the groom asked.

Seungho laughed and said, “There is no happiness in relationship in which there isn’t a separation! That’s why every drama and movie have a breakup scene between the main leads!”

“So?”, groom asked.

“So, it’s good to live with both relationship and separations! Just living with one will bore you!”, drunken Seungho answered.

His every word welled a tear in her eyes. Fighting back her tears, Sohyun sat with plastered smile.

On returning home, sober Sohyun with evident tears asked drunken Seungho, “You have lost interest in me, isn’t it?”

“Why are you crying? What happened?”, he asked knitting his brows.

“Or has the marriage become bitter?”, ignoring his question she continued hers.

“What I said was just for fun…”, Seungho responded while changing into nightwear.

“If your heart felt it, then it would eventually come out… in fun way”, she rebutted, “What do you mean by saying that you’ve lost your happiness after marriage? Doesn’t it mean, you don’t like me anymore or you’ve fallen for someone else?”

He sighed out loud, “Why are you doing this to me? Whatever I do, is it wrong?”

“You mean you haven’t done anything wrong?”, she talked back while wiping her tears, “I know you well…”

As his tears formed a layer around his eyes, “You married me knowing me well, isn’t it? Or else, why did you marry me?”, he questioned gazing into her eyes. He felt like he got caught up in some absurd situation which he didn’t have any clue about.

“Why did you marry me?”, she requited his question. “You should’ve married the girl you like… why did you drag me in between?”

“IT WAS A MISTAKE TO HAVE DRAGGED YOU IN! SATISFIED?”, he accosted in anger.

 

 

 

 

 

Author's thoughts:

Thank you for reading:) Thank you for forgiving the typos! People say love and marriage are two different things... is it so?