OUR PATHS CROSSED OR INTERTWINED?

From Love, To Love

The sun light shining brightly through the balcony disturbed Sohyun’s sleep. She turned around in bed but couldn’t shake off the bright light. While rubbing her eyes she turned to see the table clock and immediately woke up from her bed screaming, “Jiwoo!!!! Why didn’t you wake me up?”. She then rememebered that Jiwoo is on a business trip. On changing, Sohyun ran downstairs, “Mom, I'm late! I’ll have my breakfast in college”. To soothe the displeased Mrs. Kim whose face grimaced by her words, Sohyun commented, “How can you still look pretty in your anger?” and stormed out of the house. Taken back by her comment, Mrs. Kim chuckled herself.

Since, she missed her usual timing she must bear with the crowd in this busy hour. Sohyun somehow managed to make her way through the busy station. She boarded a crowded train where she saw Seungho and his classmates on the same compartment.

Seungho saw Sohyun boarding the train and soon turned his attention back to his friends. From the corner of his eye, Seungho could see her standing and struggling to keep her balance in the crowd, so, he asked one of his classmates to offer a seat and turned to see Sohyun who found herself a seat.

Sohyun noticed Seungho asking his classmate to remain seated after looking at her. Upon realising his intention, a smile sneaked out from the corner of her lips. When the train arrived at their station, Sohyun got down and walked fast to catch up to Seungho. She struggled through the crowd to follow him, but she missed him from her sight.

In the college, after the classes ended for the day, Yoonhwa and Sohyun met up in the cafeteria. They found an empty table in the corner where Sohyun sat facing the wall while Yoonhwa sat opposite to her with whole cafeteria in her view. Ever since the encounter, Yoonhwa is always on the lookout for Seungho.

When Seungho and his classmates passed by their table, Yoonhwa’s eyes followed him. She flustered when Seungho turned his head and took a glimpse at Sohyun before stepping out of the cafeteria.

“Sohyun-ah, did you do anything to wrong Yoo Seungho sunbaenim?”.

 “Why would I have anything to do with him? I didn’t do anything. Why?”

“Coz just now… Seungho…”

Their conversation interrupted when Sohyun’s phone rang. Sohyun continued while taking out her phone from her bag, “Did you say anything?”

“It’s Nothing Sohyun-ah…”, Yoonhwa shook her head and mumbled, “Must be my imagination”

Sohyun answered the phone, when the person on the other end started talking, Sohyun’s eyes widened on realisation, she covered the phone speaker with her hands and apologetically said to Yoonhwa, “Sorry! It’s mom… I must go. Let’s meet up later” and Sohyun continued to talk on phone while making her way out, “I didn’t forget the promise to accompany you, mom. I’m on the way. I’ll be there in 30 minutes”.

Jiwoo who returned home from the business trip received Sohyun and Mrs. Kim who came back late in the evening with shopping bags. Mrs. Kim on entering the house said to Sohyun, “Wear the dress that I bought for you to the ceremony tomorrow. Since we are leaving early in the morning, pack your things by tonight”. Exhausted Sohyun headed to her room while mumbling, “Am I home or in a military campus?”

Next morning, Sohyun left with her family for her cousin’s wedding. When they reached the wedding banquet, they were amazed by the grand decor. But Sohyun was more surprised to see some of her collegemates at the wedding. She don't know anyone personally since they do not belong with her department but she is certain that they belong with her college.

Sohyun went to visit her cousin, the bride and Jiwoo and Mrs. Kim accompanied her. After the repertoire of praises, Sohyun asked her cousin, “Is the groom a senior in my college?”. Her cousin chuckled and said, “He is not a senior but a professor”. Jiwoo asked, “So he invited all of his students?”. Her cousin nodded.

After meeting with the bride, everyone went to the banquet hall where Sohyun greeted her aunt, mother of the bride who welcomed Sohyun and her family, said, “Sohyun-ah! You are looking so beautiful! Can you help me with the guests?”. “If you are trying to bribe me into working with you, those praises aren’t enough”, Sohyun said slyly while crossing her arms. Her aunt smiled at her gesture and said, “If I had a son, you would’ve already been my daughter-in-law”. Impressed by her aunt's wit, sohyun exclaimed, “100 marks!”, while clapping her hands.

While Sohyun was helping the guests to settle down, she saw Jiwoo chatting with someone, upon closer look, she noticed it was Jiwoo’s parents. Due to the nature of their jobs, Jiwoo was brought up by her father in South Korea while Jiwoo’s mom looked after her elder brother in the US. Even Jiwoo rarely gets the chance to meet her mom outside any special occasion.

Sohyun came up to them and formally greeted Jiwoo’s parents. Jiwoo’s mother voiced, “Isn’t this Sohyunnie?”, upon scanning her from top to bottom, Jiwoo’s mother exclaimed, “You’ve grown up so beautifully!”.

“Thanks for the compliment”, Sohyun said smiling.

“What are you doing Sohyun-ah? Studying? Working?”  

“I’m in my second year doing medicine”

“MEDICINE?!”, Jiwoo’s mother’s face beamed.

Sohyun smiled and politely excused herself since she has to attend other guests.

While she was attending others, she noticed the eyes of Jiwoo’s mother following her. Fortunately, the groom’s arrival helped her to free herself from those eyes. Suddenly, Sohyun heard familiar voice from the gang of guys surrounding the groom. She gasped on finding Seungho, the owner of that familiar voice. She didn’t make her presence known to him until he shouted,“Our professor got caught nicely!”. Sohyun approached him and asked while raising her brows, “What’s lacking in our bride?”,while few other friends of the bride joined her. Seungho who was startled by the sudden question, turned to look at Sohyun. Unlike Sohyun who was suprised by his presence, he looked at her, as if he already expected her presence in this ceremony.

“Are you all friends of the bride?”, Seungho asked.

“What’s lacking in our bride?”, Sohyun asked again ignoring his question while raising her volume.

Seungho flustered, “Nothing is lacking with anyone, I was just talking to my friend”

“Then you said that he got caught?”, Sohyun asked and the girls looked at him for a reply.

“That was about the marriage in general. He used to be a free bird but not anymore”, Seungho answered with weak smile embarrassed by the attention of the girls on him.

“Oh! That means marriage is like a cage, isn’t it?” Sohyun asked, while all other girls nodded supporting Sohyun’s question. “It's okay! You don’t have enough luck it seems!”, Sohyun remarked and started walking away with the girls. Puzzled by her statement, Seungho immediately caught up to them and asked, “What’s it? Why?”. “The girls thought you are a bit handsome. It’s alright, there are many other handsome guys”, Sohyun laughed with the girls and walked away leaving Seungho speechless. After that Seungho and Sohyun ignored each other’s presence in the ceremony.

 As soon as the ceremony ended in the afternoon, Jiwoo’s parents bid their goodbye to the newlyweds since they have a flight to catch. When they were bidding their goodbye to Sohyun’s family, upon seeing them rushing, Sohyun who couldn’t hold in her thoughts blurted out, “Is our house not comfortable to stay? Or your son is too precious to be left alone?”. Jiwoo who was standing beside placed her hand on Sohyun’s shoulder to calm her down. Despite Mrs. Kim hushing, Sohyun continued while directing her words to Jiwoo, “Is your Oppa a school grader? Can’t he take care of himself for few days? Your mom has been taking care of your son all these years and anyone would think that your Oppa is her only child!”. Jiwoo’s mom was surprised by her statements, since she thought Sohyun was a reserved girl. She felt apologetic and said in a mild tone, “Sorry, for leaving so soon. I planned to stay here for a few days with Jiwoo using this ceremony as an excuse but due to some emergency business situation I had to leave”. Guilt stricken Sohyun said in apologetic tone, “I’m so sorry… I’ve been judgemental. It's my mistake. I shouldn't have...”. She was embarrassed for blurting out without thinking. On realising the sincerity in her words, Jiwoo’s mom said smiling, “For my daughter and for you, when I come again, I’ll stay here with you for a long time”. After they left, Jiwoo hugged Sohyun in delight and said, "You should be careful, though my mom is a good person, she doesn't associate with anyone without any reason. You have something that she wants". Sohyun chuckled.

On the way home, Sohyun couldn’t forget how sweet and gentle Jiwoo’s mom was. Sohyun saw her only on the day of Jiwoo’s wedding and never after. Even more, she never saw Jiwoo’s oppa even at the wedding ceremony. The only thing she knows about him is his name ‘Shin Jaeha’. Everyone told her that Jiwoo’s oppa came the day before Jiwoo’s wedding and left after staying for few hours, but she never saw him. So naturally, Sohyun thought Jiwoo’s mom and her oppa doesn’t care about her but after today, her views on them changed.

Seungho who reached home in the evening, changed to his usual attire, and grabbed his bike keys to go out again. Chaeyoung who was watching him asked, “Going out again?”. “Yeah… meeting with friends”. Chaeyoung looked at him with a suspicion. Seungho smiled and said, “Inform mom that I’ll be having my dinner out”. Chaeyoung smirked and said, “Don’t get caught”. Seungho nodded smiling and left the house.

The next day in the morning, Mr. Yoo received a call and on listening to the person on the other end, he said furiously, “I can’t stake our reputation, we’ll be dragged down with them if we continue. Pay them the amount they need for severance. Settle everything before the judgement is awarded by court. We shouldn’t let that lawyer to beat us twice” and hung up the phone. Seungho calmly listened to the conversation while having the breakfast and said, “Looks like a serious problem”. “I thought you are least bothered about matters concerning the industry?”. Seungho sighed and said, “I guess so”.

After a week, one Sunday afternoon, While Sohyun was surfing the web, she saw the internet bursting with news outlet which read ‘The CEO who recently partnered with Yoo-Industries was arrested!’. She rushed to find her father in the living room, showed the news and asked, “Dad, is this true?”. Mr. Kim nodded and said, “Yes, but I didn’t know it’ll lead to an arrest”. Sohyun retired back to her room in deep thought. She became restless after reading the news. She changed her outfit, climbed down the stairs and said, “Mom. I’m going out. I’ll have my dinner with friends” and rushed out.

Next morning, while Sohyun was having her breakfast, she opened her book and started reading. Her mom closed her book and said, “Don’t read while eating”. “Mom! I have a test today”, Sohyun whined.

“If you are so worried about exams, you wouldn’t hang out with friends the day before and come home late”.

“Will a day go by without any fight between us?”

“If you behave like your brother, why would I fight with you?”

“To you oppa is always special and all others are 2nd class citizens. You should've stopped with oppa, Why did you have me?”, Sohyun said on a whim.

“With your temper, if you become a doctor, I don’t know how patients are going to suffer!”

After having the breakfast, Sohyun went to Mr. Kim and said with puppy eyes, “Dad… I have my test… and I can’t risk being late, can you drop me in the college?”. “I have a meeting to attend. I’ll call for a substitute driver to drop you in college, ok?”. Sohyun nodded. While Mr. Kim took his phone to make a call, Sohyun saw threat letters directed to Mr. Kim on the table and exclaimed, “Dad, what’s with the letters!”. Mr. Kim calmly said, “That’s usual. Since the arrest, I even got death threats”. Sohyun was perplexed by the reply and left for the college when the driver arrived.

When the car took the turn at the end of the street, Sohyun noticed a car following them. She shook her head convincing herself that it must be her delusional thinking. When they reached the empty highway, the car behind her sped up, overtook, and suddenly halted in front of them. To avoid collision, the driver turned the wheel forcibly. Due to the speed and sudden turn, the vehicle overturned, and the inertia dragged the vehicle to meet with rail guards and stopped. Sohyun lost her consciousness in pain. Soon, an ambulance took Sohyun and the driver to nearby hospital.

Sohyun’s accident became sensational in the tabloid news and they linked the accident with Yoo industries and their partner through the verdict. Yooram hurried to Seungho’s house, on seeing Seungho, he asked, “Did you read the news?”. “Yeah, I read about the arrest yesterday”. “Not that!”, Yooram said and hesitantly showed the article on his phone. While Seungho was reading the news, Yooram said, “Unless Sohyun herself clears the suspicion, we will be blamed for the accident”. Seungho asked, “Will you take me to that hospital?”. Yooram surprised by his sudden request, asked, “Are you sure? You know it’s not the good time to visit the hospital, right?”. Seungho nodded.

Fortunately, both Sohyun and driver didn’t suffer any fatal injuries. Sohyun’s parents, brother and Jiwoo reached the hospital. Mr. Kim and Sohyun’s brother went to meet the doctor while Jiwoo and Mrs. Kim headed to Sohyun’s room. When Mrs. Kim saw Sohyun lying there unconscious, tears trickled down on her cheek. Jiwoo tried her best to console Mrs. Kim, but even Jiwoo was barely holding her tears back on looking at her state.

After a while, Sohyun regained her conscious but she was still under the effect of anaesthesia and sedatives, doctors who came to check up on her, told that she just has external injuries, and it’ll heal with time, but she must stay in hospital under observation for five days. Everyone felt relieved on hearing that. When Mr. Kim and Sohyun’s brother left for work, Jiwoo told Mrs. Kim to take rest at home since Mrs. Kim was mentally exhausted and asked her visit Sohyun in the evening. But Mrs. Kim said, “I’ll get her things and come back immediately. How can I rest at home while Sohyun is in hospital?”

Soon after Mrs. Kim left, when Jiwoo went outside the room to take a call, Yoonhwa came to visit Sohyun. She cried rivers while saying, “I never expected them to target you!”. Sohyun who snapped out of sedatives, said with weak smile, “No one targeted me, it was an accident”. Their conversation was interrupted when they heard the door opening. Yoonhwa stood appalled when she saw Seungho entering the hospital room while Yooram waited outside. When Seungho walked in having his eyes laid on Sohyun, Yoonhwa screamed desperately, “She doesn’t have anything to do with the case or with the arrest, just think straight and leave her alone!”. On hearing that, Seungho stood still and observed Sohyun who struggled to sit up with her left leg under cast; right arm bandaged; face covered with bruise and scratches. When Sohyun mustered up her strength and said with concerned eyes, “Why are you here?”, Seungho rushed to her side, cupped her face, and kissed her forehead!