THE FIRST CRACK!

From Love, To Love

“SSO-YA!”, Seungho raised a wake-up call from the kitchen while making coffee. Tossing around in the bed, Sohyun checked the time on the table clock in half sleep. The next moment, she left the bed and rushed. When Seungho caught Sohyun making her stealthy ninja steps towards the bathroom with a brown Turkish cotton bath towel on her shoulder, he took a run towards bathroom. On seeing him, Sohyun raced towards the bathroom too. Sohyun successfully stepped inside the bathroom and attempted to close the door. But, at that instant, one of his staunch hands stopped the door while the other wrapped itself around her waist pulling her towards him and out of the bathroom. With their face just, an inch away from each other, Seungho whispered, “Not fair!”.

After a pause for taking a look at her wide-awake eyes he spoke softly, “I got up first, switched on the heater, made coffee…”, at his mention Sohyun’s eyes went on the coffee he prepared and back towards him. “You promised two weeks!”, she said rekindling his missing incident and his promise to do the chores. “I woke you up!”, he made a check. Giving up on the fight in the battle, she resorted to appeal, “I have a meeting at 9 am, please…”. Seungho sensed a final blow of her cute act and braced himself to face it. Before she could throw in her puppy eyes, he closed his eyes while maintaining his arm around her waist. With his eyes tightly shut, he retorted, “I have to be on time too! We’re recruiting new members! And I hope I told you last night…”. “Ahhh…”, Sohyun sang in recollection and spoke, “You mean today morning? When you woke me up at 2 am and said you are missing me even though I was next to you and wanted to…” “Na molla! (I don’t know)”, he said cutting in her sentence, but she continued, “Because of which I woke up late and have to take bath…”, he suddenly lifted her up which put a full stop in her half-completed sentence. Her struggle to get herself free was in vain. Turning around, he swept her away from the bathroom and then freed her from his hold. At the next tick of the clock, he rushed in and closed the bathroom door shouting, “It wasn’t just me! I bet, we clearly missed each other!”. She chuckled at his remark. Considering the efforts, he put in doing the chores this morning and the past week, she gave in. “How about scrambled eggs for breakfast?”, she asked him. “French toast please…” “It’ll consume time… and we’re already late!”, she sang. “I love your French toasts and I really need a boost for the Monday morning Sso-ya… please…”, he pleaded but, a sweet tone lingered in his voice. After breathing out loud in disbelief, she agreed.

Dressing up in a hurry, she put her hair in a bun; gathered her things and waved bye at Seungho. “Not having your breakfast? It’s damn good!”, he asked her while having his share. “No… I’m running late…”, she told him while putting on her shoes. “But, you hardly have the privilege to use your breather!”, he asked her well aware of her daily hectic schedule. “I’ll manage somehow…”, she assured him and opened the door; stepped out and shut the door. Even after she left the house, Seungho’s eyes were fixated on the door. The instant the door opened again, his eyes beamed. Sohyun opened the door and rushed towards him saying, “Sorry, I forgot!” and leaned in for a quick kiss on his lips which she had forgotten. He gave her a contented smile on receiving her kiss. He was quite upset when she left without a goodbye kiss but, her kiss and her ‘Have a nice day!’ never failed to capture his heart.

Sohyun arrived at the hospital for the meeting on time. She listened to their discussions as her stomach growled while waiting for the break.

When Seungho reached his destination, the restaurant below his office reminded him of Sohyun as she skipped breakfast.

After the meeting ended, Dr. Oh who is in his late 30’s and bears a grumpy look approached Sohyun asking, “Are you the one who came with the Alzheimer patient?”. As Sohyun nodded, he continued, “Why did you advise them not to go for new drugs and recommended to take the old ones?” Sohyun was baffled by his question. But, he didn’t seem to get bothered by her reaction and added, “New drugs are advanced… Newbies like you doesn’t understand!”. “Exactly Seonsaengnim! New means inexperienced, New means not proven!”, Sohyun responded. With tinge of anger, he asked, “Who gave you that idea?”. On realizing that she infuriated him, she regretted talking back. But, Jaeha’s voice sounded, “It’s me!”. He greeted Dr. Oh with a plastered smile saying, “She might have got that idea from the research methodology books that I recommended!”. He nodded with a grunt, “Hmm” and left without another word.

Sohyun thanked him with a smile saying, “Will you be ok? You just took my side and got on his bad side!”. “Will you be ok? You just lost some of your marks! He is one of the prime members in-charge of assessing the interns!”, he responded with a smirk. When Sohyun hung her head low, he let out a quick laugh and asked, “By the way, did Seungho-sshi met with your father a week before?”. She nodded slowly, “How do you know?” “I have my direct source!”, he answered. She shrugged her shoulders not sure of how to respond as her mind inclined towards her growling stomach. While she wondered if he could hear that, a nurse stopped by and told Sohyun about the arrival of some package for her. Sohyun went ahead to collect the package excusing herself.

Sohyun’s mind was occupied by the empty stomach, which told her to go to the cafeteria. But, she dragged herself towards reception desk while internally whining about her precious break for the breakfast being taken away by some package and her marks being taken away by Dr. Oh. When Sohyun reached the desk, the receptionist gave her package with a wide grin. There were some giggles and envies floated around her. It was a delivery from her favourite restaurant. It was crystal clear that the package was sent by Seungho as there were series of post-it notes on it written by him which read, ‘It may not be as tasty as my cooking …’, the next one read, ‘I was a too much of a glutton for having the breakfast without you…’. And the last one read, ‘So, this is some of me packed in a box!’ A wide smile marked Sohyun’s face. A forever and endless smile. She wondered how he could light up her day just like that! Getting the food, she sat on the emergency stair case to have it with a peace of mind. His smiling face and his notes popped up in her mind for every bite she took. She took out her phone, clicked a picture of her with the food and sent it to him with the caption, ‘Thank you! I needed it! Love you… xoxo’

Seungho’s phone buzzed while he was in the middle of conducting the interview with Yoonpark. He slowly sneaked out his phone from the pocket and check the notification while hiding the phone under the table. On seeing Sohyun’s message in the notification, he immediately held the phone to his face and started replying to her message with a victorious but, a sheepish smile on his face. Feeling proud of himself, his eyes refused to tear away from the photo she sent. But, the sound of Yoonpark clearing his throat knocked senses into him. As he lowered the phone, he could feel Yoonpark’s glare and interviewee’s stare at him. He pretended to check the file in front of him on the desk to shed off the embarrassment. But, the interview resumed only after his apology.

The day was hectic for Sohyun. Since, one of the interns was on leave, his work load fell on Sohyun. When she changed into her clothes to leave for home, it was already 8 pm. Though cafeteria food is not her favourite, she planned to have her dinner there since the traffic will be heavy if she leaves now and she is not in any shape to prepare her own dinner. Moreover, there will be no one at home as Seungho will be back only by midnight like a housebreaker.  

She stood in the long queue to order her food while contemplating which one to choose out of the two dishes that might be available by the time she reaches the counter. She realized difficulty in choosing doesn’t mean its hard to choose between the favourites, it also means hard to choose between the least favourites. With just one more person to go, her phone buzzed with a message that she is needed back in the work. Giving up on her dinner, she ran back to her floor. When she was finally relieved of her work for the day, there was only two and hours left for the day to end. Her energy drained out and her body felt heavy. Taking her wearisome steps, she left the hospital.

Crossing the hospital premises, she walked towards the station. Half way down, a car pulled over beside her. As soon as she realized it was Jaeha, she walked around the car, opened the door, took her seat in the front and said, “Thanks for the lift!”. Puzzled by her action, Jaeha let out a quick laugh. With his brows arched in surprise, he shook his head in disbelief. Without another word he took off. After a few moments of silence, he asked, “About the new medicines… where did you get that kinda idea?” “My professor, my mentor Dr. Lee told me but, he is no more!”, she told him as bits of nostalgia and sadness visited her. Nodding to her, he asked, “Why was he invited to your dad’s office?” “Suengho?”, she raised a brow. He nodded. “You said you have your direct source?” Again, he let out a quick smirk. “He has to be mindful of his actions”, Jaeha said softly. She immediately looked at him in all sober. On realizing her doubts he chuckled saying, “It’s an advice, not a threat!”  “Sounded more like a warning”, Sohyun mumbled.

Sohyun asked Jaeha to drop her off in the restaurant, which is one stop away from her house. When he halted before the restaurant, she left with a word of thanks and a bow. Before she could enter the restaurant, he honked. Sohyun turned around towards him bewildered. He lowered his window asking, “Can I join you?” With such a question, she could only nod. As they entered the restaurant which had simple ambience, they saw Seungho and his colleagues at one of the tables who had a huge contribution to the high noise level inside the restaurant. She guessed it might be a welcoming party thrown for the new employee recruited today. While her eyes wandered searching for the recruit, it caught Minseo, the one who confessed to Seungho in college. While Sohyun’s brows knitted searching for the reason behind her presence, one of the colleagues raised his glass to Minseo congratulating her. Seungho joined him and raised his glass, it added a weight in her heart. But, Seungho and his colleagues were oblivious of Sohyun’s presence. When she saw Seungho enjoying his time with his colleagues, she didn’t want to disturb them with her presence. So, when Jaeha raised his hand to call Seungho, she stopped him and suggested that it’s better to take another table. Jaeha nodded understandingly.

They sat in a table for two with Sohyun facing Seungho’s table. Sohyun didn’t speak another word and had her eyes and other senses on the noodle soup in front of her. She seemed like she was drowned in her food but, in fact her ears were on Seungho. Assuming she is enjoying her separate world with her food, Jaeha didn’t disturb her with his talk. When they were about to finish their food, Jaeha got a call. Since, the noise might outweigh his phone conversation, he excused himself to take the call outside the restaurant. With the clear view of the entire colleagues, she saw Minseo taking her seat beside Seungho, serving him the sides and soju. Sohyun couldn’t swallow the food though her hunger hasn’t yet subsided. Everyone stood up for one last toast and after the bottoms up, Seungho and Minseo had a formal hug. On seeing them together, one of the colleagues shouted for a love shot, when Seungho waved at them discouraging his idea, Yoonpark nudged Seungho and gestured him by twitching his eyes to look in the direction of Sohyun.

When Seungho saw Sohyun sitting on the table alone, he immediately got up from his table and approached Sohyun asking, “When did you come? Why are you having your dinner alone…”, he stopped at midsentence when he saw another empty bowl of noodle opposite to her seat with a blazer hung on the chair. Before he could start guessing who that might be, Jaeha entered the restaurant after his call. Seungho’s face turned sour at the sight of him. But, he greeted him with a short bow and directed his attention back to Sohyun.

Sohyun got up from her seat with a short smile saying, “I didn’t want to disturb you… I had my dinner… I’m gonna take my leave now…” “Wait, I’ll come with you. Let’s leave together!”, Seungho said and turned around to get his things on their table. She grabbed his hand stopping him. He held her hand and looked at her. “Don’t…”, she said softly and added, “I don’t want to snatch away your quality time with your colleagues” “Are you sure?”, he held her hand never failing to caress with his thumb while trying to read her through her expression. But, she became good at showing ‘I’m fine’ smile which convinced him. Sohyun bid goodbye to Seungho and his colleagues and left the restaurant with Jaeha.

While Seungho was having the conversation with Sohyun, Minseo asked Yoonpark wondering, “Are they on good terms now?”

“I guess not!”, Yoonpark answered guessing the present atmosphere around Seungho, Sohyun and Jaeha, but forgetting that Minseo have no idea about their relationship. Since, Sohyun and Seungho got married when they were in their internship and Start-up respectively, most of their collegemates aren’t aware of their relationship. Moreover, they aren’t in a situation to throw a wedding or a party.

While Jaeha started the car, he looked for his blazer, remembering that he left it in the restaurant, he ran back after handing over the car key to Sohyun. On entering the restaurant again, he saw Seungho in the billing counter paying for the team dinner. Their eyes met but, both ignored each other. After getting his blazer, Jaeha stopped beside Seungho. When Seungho turned towards to his direction, Jaeha looked at him and his colleagues at the table before he remarked with a monotonous tone, “It’s better to look before you leap”. Leaving Seungho puzzled, he took his leave.

Seungho got back home around midnight. He opened the door carefully such that it won’t disturb her sleep. But, on stepping in, he saw the lights in the living room were on and found Sohyun on the couch, wide awake with her books. “Not sleeping?” There was no answer. He could tell that she is annoyed. He sat beside her, wrapping her shoulders in his arms, “Are you angry?”

“I’m not… I’m fine”, Sohyun said bearing a straight face.

Holding an innocent face, “Are you ok?”, he asked.

“I SAID I’M FINE!”, she accosted.

She is clearly angry, he concluded. He looked at the calendar and asked curiously, “Got your period early?”

She glared at him in reply, and after a pause, she asked, “Recruited Minseo?”

“Mmm… You remember her?”, he asked while scanning her face for hints of jealousy. “What’s the problem?”, he gave in.

“Nothing!”

“Then why are you so upset?”

“You tell me”, she closed the book and sat facing him while crossing her arms.

“I have to tell you?... Did I do something wrong?”, he asked clueless.

After a long sigh, she confronted him, “What’s with the hug?”

He immediately inferred she was asking about Minseo again and replied promptly, “It was. Just. A. Hug!”

She smirked not convinced by his words.

“You always eat out with that doctor… that ex-fiancée-to-be…. I never said anything…”, he threw in his frustrations.

“You just did… And FYI, he is not my ex-fiancée-to-be… And he is my relative, Jiwoo’s brother!”

“There’s always a reason…”, he murmured to himself.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author’s thoughts:

Hello! How are you? Had a good day? Mine went well :) After facing few setbacks, I realized that nothing is made to last forever, for example bad days!

Thank you for reading :) Forgive the typos like you always do (Thanks in advance) Have a great weekend!! Nothing is more exciting and relaxing than a weekend!