CLUES!

From Love, To Love

The bright evening showered the radiant beam on everyone without any discern, but the shadows never fail to discern people. People may forget what you look like, what you say or even what you did for them but, they never forget what you made them feel. Sohyun realized the truth behind those words when her eyes fell on the two people at the end of their forlorn street.

The two at the end of an aloof street clearly looked like ‘passer-by’. They didn’t show any trace of being a gangster on the outlook. They weren’t wearing black suits with a dishevelled white shirt beneath it or even the saggy pant and large tee. They were in casual shirt and straight cut pants. But, Seungho’s eyes read their gesture carefully rather than their outfits. He grabbed Sohyun’s wrist saying, “I couldn’t find them in the subway CCTV. So, let’s take a closer look…” and walked towards them.

Unaware of the approaches, one of them were arguing with someone on the phone while the other was trying to eavesdrop the conversation from the other end of the line.

Seungho and Sohyun walked close enough to hear the one end conversation. “Why should I get away from here?”, the man on the phone who was evidently pissed off shouted, “Didn’t you text me to come here…”, he continued pouring in his complaints while spilling some curse words here and there.

Sohyun was petrified on hearing that voice again. She gripped her hold on Seungho’s hand, “I don’t want to see them…”, her voice quivered. Seungho’s jaw clenched when he saw the fear creeping in her eyes at the sight of them. Because, he knows that she wasn’t someone who gets easily frightened. ‘It was a mere accident’, that was her reply when her car crashed, and the reply stayed the same even when she was hit by a car. what did they say to make her feel threatened? How did they transform their threats to her dreads? Those questions infuriated him.

“So, it’s them?”, Seungho asked clenching his teeth.

Sohyun hid herself behind him and tugged his sleeve asking him to withdraw.

He pulled her beside him; placed his hands over her shoulders and leaned in. With his determined gaze and deep voice, he said, “It is ok not to see them, but you’ve to face them Sohyun-ah!”

His voice attracted their attention. They hung up the phone immediately and their eyes fell on Seungho and Sohyun.

On recognising Sohyun, their brows raised at the unexpected encounter. They let out a derisive smirk, “Wanna play again?”, one of them commented biting his lips.

“Scumbag!”, Sohyun said disgusted by his comment. She turned around and tugged Seungho’s arm saying, “Let’s go!”

“I think she got scared of us!”, they talked but, clearly amplified their voice for her to hear. “I thought, this time she’ll be less scared with her hubby by her side! I guess I was wrong!”, one of them spoke, “Are you living in this area? Should I come more often to play with you?”

Seungho pulled his arm away from her grasp and grabbed the collar of the one who commented. The other one tried to break them away but, Seungho shoved him away forcefully and he took his run.

Seungho pulled the one who commented, into the alley saying, “You aren’t the only ones who were aware of the blind spots in CCTV coverage!”

Feeling apprehensive, Sohyun perplexed, “What’s happening? Let’s just go”. “Wait Sohyun-ah…”, his gentle tone sounded. But it turned totally furious when he directed his words at him, “Wanna play? I’m in!”

Smirking at his tease, the man tried to grab Seungho’s shirt to land a punch on him. Before, he could firmly hold the shirt, Seungho evaded his grab by throwing his arm over and locking his arm in a hook. Pained by the lock, he slanted his body towards the locked arm. Having a clear shot on him, Seungho landed a heavy blow on his face.

“Seungho!”, Sohyun shouted but, her words didn’t reach his ears.

Unable to free his arm from Seungho’s lock, he tried to swing his other arm but, Seungho just shoved it away and rammed his punches on his abdomen.

“Seungho! Stop it!”, Sohyun screamed again but in vain and there was no one around to call for help.

Seungho didn’t stop using him as a punching bag since it fed his anger well. Sohyun tugged Seungho by wrapping her arms around him from behind while yelling, “Enough!” Her tug made Seungho to free his arm lock on the man. Though, the man took his steps backwards, his eyes showed no guilt which further aggravated Seungho’s anger. Realizing the eruption of his anger, Sohyun tugged him again, but with his vehement stride towards the man, Seungho managed to string Sohyun along with his feat, thus giving him the closure to punch the man’s face. The impact of the blow on his nose, made him to lose his balance and he fell on the ground stained with blood and groaning in pain.

When Seungho took another step forward to hit him again, Sohyun stood in front of him blocking his way, “Have you gone mad? I told you to Stop!”

“Sohyun-ah, move! How could he…”, Seungho said directing his infuriated eyes at him and moved towards him. Sohyun placed her hand over his chest stopping him, but Seungho’s advancement compelled her to push him back. But he didn’t budge. Sohyun’s anxious voice screamed, “What is wrong with you! What if something happens to him?” He stopped advancing towards the man, when he conceived Sohyun’s desperate efforts to stop him.

When Sohyun freed her hold on him, Seungho leaned in and grabbed the collar of the man who is still lying on the ground. With piercing glare and sword like words, he pronounced, “Tell your boss that if he repeats his yesterday’s sin, it will haunt him today and crush him tomorrow!” Releasing his grip on his collar, he withdrew.

When Seungho’s eyes shifted to Sohyun in all its gentleness, he noticed her still anxious. The reason for her anxiousness angered him again. Clenching his jaw, he threw in another punch at him, making Sohyun flustered. “Seungho! Aren’t you stopping? What is wrong with you? I’m leaving! Do whatever eases your anger!”, she walked away taking heavy steps.

“You should recall these beatings next time before you harass a girl!”, he said without dropping a pinch of his rage. After throwing him a final warning with his intense glare, Seungho followed Sohyun.

Seungho walked behind Sohyun in his own pace while fuming. Observing that his anger didn’t subside yet, she waked tardily waiting for him to catch up to her and then, followed his pace to walk side by side. After a few minutes of silence, Sohyun called out, “Rogue!” directing her words at Seungho.

“What?”, Seungho asked gathering his senses back.

“Rogue!”, she answered sheepishly.

He smirked at her remark replying, “Then I guess… bad boy is your type!”

“Did you just realize it?”, she replied and walked ahead to avoid the consequences of her reply.

But soon, the consequence followed her with a back hug and tightened its grip, “Say it again!”, Seungho dared. Her eyes fell on his hand that was wrapping her and her gaze stayed on the bruises in his knuckles. Following her eyes, he took a look at his knuckles and shifted his gaze back to Sohyun without bothering about the bruises. “What more can I say?”, she mumbled without taking her eyes off his wounds.

When her mumbles reached his ears, he turned her around saying, “When you find yourself in such situations…”, he said intending the threats, “face it! And please, covey that to me through some means, so we can face it together, ok?”

“I do not have time to send a messenger. Instead, can’t you appear in front of me when I think of you?”

He gave into her non-feasible but an honest request with a wide smile and a gentle eye smile. Overwhelmed by rapid flutters, he cupped her face and kissed her forehead.

“Now in the streets? Got bored of the stairs?”, Mr. Kang’s words woke them up from their moment reminding them that they’ve arrived at the house.

Sohyun quickly bowed in embarrassment and ran upstairs while Seungho asked Mr. Kang in whispers, “Since when have you known about the stairs?”

“Aren’t you going in?”, Mr. Kang raised his voice and sunk his teeth into his lower lip, rushing Seungho to get inside.

As Mr. Kang looked fondly at them giggling and running upstairs, Mrs. Kang who was observing them in the side-lines said, “You’re spoiling him!”

“What’s wrong in that?”

“You spoiled our daughter so much and now, you’re spoiling your son-in-law?”, Mrs. Kang’s words took him aback. He wanted to voice the forgotten truth that their daughter is no more but, he couldn’t bring himself to say that. Not because it might hurt his wife but, he wanted to treat Sohyun as their daughter like he always did. He just realized that all along he unconsciously regarded, treated and felt protective of Sohyun and Seungho as their daughter and son-in-law. To him, Mrs. Kang’s question sounded more like a wise reminder rather than Alzheimer’s amnesia.

Days rolled on calmly, Seungho’s projects widened and his rented office floor became their owned property and Sohyun will soon be working as a doctor in the same hospital.

On a peaceful morning at her work, Sohyun who was writing the patients’ report in the office room heard running footsteps. Interns are expected to find themselves assisting during emergency situations even when they are not being called. So, she ran out grabbing her coat. They were no emergency lights or sound to call for the doctors, but there was huge assemblage of people in the reception. They weren’t patients but, reporters with inquisitive eyes and bright flashes from the camera.  Hospital director stood before them and politely asked them to leave the premises since they’re disturbing the patients.

Since Sohyun watched it from the upper floor, conversation between director and the reporters weren’t audible. While she tried her best to take a look at the situation like a meerkat, she was startled by a pat on her shoulder. She turned around to find Jaeha and sighed out loud.

“Why do you always appear out of nowhere?”, Sohyun complained.

“Does that mean… I’m not welcomed?! I thought I could share the things happened over there…”, he said pointing towards the crowd and pretended to walk away bearing a innocent face saying, “poor me…”. But he walked but moved nowhere, like he was on the treadmill.

Tempted by the gossip sharing, Sohyun yielded, “Sorry!” His face immediately beamed and said, “It’s alright!”

His reply and rapid change in mood left Sohyun dumbfounded.

He put his arm over her shoulder saying, “Actual-”, but he stopped when he found Sohyun staring at his hand which was on her shoulder. He immediately took his hands off her and asked, “A cup of coffee and a gossip… it comes in a combo, deal?”

“I can google it but, gossip turns interesting upon hearing than reading!”, she smiled buying his deal.

Sohyun and Jaeha sat with their coffee in the emergency stairway. Looking around Jaeha asked, “You don’t those cliché stuffs like crying and eating alone in here, do you?”

“What?”, Sohyun asked bewildered.

“Is this your hideout?”, Jaeha asked narrowing his eyes.

His question made her laugh, “Were you into melodramas these days?”

Embarrassed by her question, he changed the topic, “Don’t you want to know the reason behind Dr. Oh’s arrest? Why are you diverting the topic?”

“Arrested?”, Sohyun perplexed

“tsk… I blurted out the best part!”, Jaeha deflated, “I think you know the reason!”

“What reason?”

“Didn’t Seungho tell you?”, Jaeha asked confused by her statement.

Sohyun shook her head and waited anxiously for him to continue.

“Dr. Oh was arrested for turning service into business. And soon, everyone will be put under investigation”, he answered with a straight face.

“What do you mean?”, many questions popped up in Sohyun’s mind because of his ambiguous reply.

Jaeha looked inside his coffee cup, “Coffee’s over, so gossip time… over! I think your shift for the day is over too… So, go and ask Seungho…”, Jaeha said with a smirk and took his leave abruptly.

Sohyun treaded towards her home with a heavy heart. Arresting Dr. Oh is enough to get her mind occupied for a week but, hearing the words ‘Ask Seungho’ and ‘Seungho knows’ flustered her. She texted Seungho that she’ll be back home soon.

Dropping her handbag in her room, she opened the balcony door and sat on the swing in the living room. Trying to concentrate on the fluffy clouds floating in the blue sky, she attempted to clear her mind which was jammed with questions. Instead those questions echoed in her ears again and again.

Sohyun recollected Seungho’s words that her hospital topped the list in the database he created. But, unknown fear in her mind refused to tie up that with the Dr. Oh’s arrest. When she tried to link it up, “AHHH!”, Seungho’s screamed into her ears making her jump out of the swing. Her heart nearly jumped out of the rib cage. Her words got struck in to even scream.

Satisfied with the result of the mischief, he gave her a wide grin but received a laser stare in return. Her intense stare poured out her displeasure in his mischiefs. Feeling guilty, he positioned the swing in place; gently pulled her and helped her sit on the swing. He quickly reached out to his bag and took out two chocolate latte. He sat beside her and handed it over saying, “Sorry!” Giving into his puppy face, she received the latte with grimaced face replying, “Don’t ever do that again!” He nodded in response and leisurely sat beside her after giving a gentle push to the swing. He held the latte in one hand and enveloped her in the other arm. Feeling the breeze on their faces, they sat enjoying the evening sky. Suddenly, a gush of wind blew, and the turbulence shook the swing making Seungho to grip his hold on her to prevent her from falling. While he gripped his hold on her, he simultaneously and unconsciously gripped his latte cup thus crushing the cup and spilling it over her.

“Yah!”, Sohyun cried on seeing her dress decorated with latte. Seungho was surprised at the unexpected results of his acts. When she felt the latte seeping into her clothes, she immediately rushed into the bathroom. While Seungho cleaned up the spilled latte in the living room, Sohyun took her bath. Upon drying herself, she found that she had forgotten to bring her clothes. Sighing at her absent mindedness, she opened the bathroom door partially and stretched out her hand through it calling out, “Yoo Seungho!” He turned deaf. “Yeobo!”, she called again, and he regained his hearing. Smiling from ear to ear, he asked, “What Sso-ya? Need company?”

“Ani (No)”, she replied promptly, “Forgot my clothes…”

He closed the balcony door, spread out the curtains and said, “I closed the door, you can come out now!”

“As if! I need my clothes!”, she amplified her voice.

“Should I turn off the lights too?”, he asked feigning ignorance.

“Just clothes please! I’m shivering in cold here!”, she cried

Seungho immediately took of his sweater and handed it to her, “Wear it!”

She grabbed it unable to bear the cold. She stepped out of the bathroom, wearing his sweater which fell just few inches below her waist. While she stepped out pulling down his sweater to cover her thighs, she saw him grinning at her manoeuvre while enjoying the latte. Pissed off at his antics, she shouted, “That latte is mine, isn’t it?” He nodded and held the cup above his head, in case she comes after it. “Give it back!”, she said and reached out to it. While she stepped closer to him, he pulled her in his embrace asking, “That sweater is mine, isn’t it? Give it back!”, he said. While she tried to escape from his embrace, “I won’t take it from you unless you give it back yourself!”, he said. His words calmed her mind made her smile.

At the fall of his sweet smile, she hugged him back. Sohyun tried her best to be casual but, she can’t get this question out of her, ‘Why would Seungho know the reason behind Dr. Oh’s arrest?’

“Dr. Oh got arrested…”, she said softly. He pulled back and looked at her eyes nodding. “Do you perhaps know the reason?”

He understood what she is getting to. After spending few seconds in silence, he spilled the words, “A few months back, I received a project through mail from an anonymous client. It was a big project and obviously, a risky one! Of course, I rejected it! After a few days, a retired civil servant came to meet me…”

“The anonymous client?”, Sohyun asked raising her brows.

“Mmm… He said that he just wanted a database, nothing else. I just have to collect the data from him, process it to make it user-friendly and submit the database to him! I need not analyse the data or interpret the results! So, I said okay. But he wanted to confine this project within few members and asked us not to disclose it to entire company”, he explained.

“What kind of data?”, Sohyun asked. “Is it about the medicine outlet?”, she hesitantly asked.

“Do you know which sector earns more profit?”, Seungho threw in a sudden question.

After giving it a thought, she guessed, “Oil?”

He shook his head with a smile and said softly, “Pharmaceuticals…”

“But, do you know, what’s the percentage of profit in selling generic drugs? Not by the makers, but by hospitals?”

Sohyun stood silent.

“Depending on the country’s economy, it varies inversely, and profit may even shoot more than 1000%”, Seungho answered.

“Thousand percent? Is it even possible?”, Sohyun asked not believing her ears.

“Legally… not possible!”, Seungho put a full stop to her doubts.

Adding Seungho’s words and Jaeha’s clues, she concluded hesitantly, “So… for turning the service into business, Dr. Oh was arrested… For intruding in his business, you got threatened? Did he make the threats?”

“I guess so, coz… even when he got arrested, he said he’ll see the end of me!”, Seungho chuckled.

“How did you become his target?”

Seungho shrugged his shoulders. “Somehow every information I need fell into my hands with minimal efforts… So…”, Seungho felt restless.

“Now, that all is over… Let’s drop it!”, Sohyun said and fell into his embrace.

At the fleet of three days, Seungho went to police station where Dr. Oh was held for trial. On getting the permission to visit Dr. Oh, he made his way towards him. Seungho’s steps were heavy, his fists looked vindictive and his eyes looked hostile. Clenching his jaw and biting his teeth, he spoke spitefully, “WHERE IS SOHYUN?!!