THE NEWS REACHED!

From Love, To Love

Standing in the well-lit subway station, Seungho’s eyes stayed still in the air, staring into blank space while reminiscing about the past. Those trains and station had seen many chapters of his life, from the love that blossomed to the breakup that wilted his heart.

The train, thinking that it’s below dignity to stand at a small station, took off anon. His eyes fell on the platform across him where Sohyun is supposed to be walking, if she left the hospital on time. His eyes wandered in the air in search of her. But, she didn’t get off at this station. He waited while he rehearsed.

He practised the words that he planned to let out of his lips.

He envisaged her reply.

He built up the scenario like a drama in his mind and even added where she should smile.

As the sun prepared itself to rest, his wait became restless. He took a seat on the bench in the platform and had his eyes fixed on the tracks. Fidgeting his legs, he waited anxiously for the train.

He took out his phone to call her, instead an automated voice answered that she can’t be reached. The phone has lost its purpose. He ran his hand through the hair as the tension built up in his mind.

He called her workplace to reach her and they told her she left early in the afternoon. As another train passed without dropping her off, he stood up from the seat and strayed to and fro across the corridor. He called Jiwoo, upon taking the call even without a hello, she asked excitedly, “Did you call to thank me or curse me?” As Seungho was dumbfounded by her question, she continued assuming Sohyun confronted him with the disclosure, “How is Sohyun? Did you two make up?” He immediately hung up after adding, “I’ll call you later”. The moment he realized that Sohyun isn’t with her, his mind didn’t bother about any of her questions. He called every one of Sohyun’s friends and colleagues, and under the guise of casual conversations, he observed if they know of Sohyun’s whereabouts.

After the last train left, an unknown fear crept in. He left the station and went to every place she used to frequent searching for her in every nook and corner, but never found her. He rushed back home with the hope of finding her. On seeing Seungho racing to the upper floor, Mr and Mrs Kang came out of their house and followed him.

On seeing the house locked from the outside, his eyes quivered. He stood frozen as his mind went blank.

“What happened?”, Mr. Kang’s asked. His tone sounded rigid but never failed to exhibit the care behind it.

He crouched down without a reply.

“THINK STRAIGHT!”, Mr. Kang raised his voice making Seungho to come to his senses.

Mrs. Kang patted on Seungho’s shoulder and asked calmly, “Are you okay?”

“Sohyun is missing…”, he said helplessly.

“Since when? Did you call…”, Mr. Kang was cut in by Seungho’s response, “She left the hospital in the evening”, he listed in a desperate tone, “I called Jiwoo but, she was on a tangent. I called Yooram, but he has no clue. I called her friends, colleagues and everyone related with her in my contact list but…”.

Comprehending the gravity of the situation, “We should report her missing…”, Mr. Kang suggested.

Seungho tilted his head to look at Mr. Kang. He realized she is really missing. She didn’t leave for somewhere without telling him, but she really was missing. So, he nodded, “I’ll report it. Could you inform me if Sohyun comes home?”. Seungho knew Mr. Kang wanted to accompany him to the station but, leaving Mrs. Kang home alone wasn’t a good idea. So, he indirectly asked him to stay.

After filing a missing report, Seungho stepped out of the station in despair. He planned to search for her again and this time Yooram wanted to accompany him.

While Seungho waited for Yooram in front of the police station, he witnessed a couple fighting beside a car which looked like it had met with an accident. The windshield was shattered. They looked wealthy but, her elegant clothes were crumpled, and he looked dishevelled. With sweat lining her face, she just stood listening to his reproach. “Why did you come here?”, he yelled. Tears trickled down her face. The next instant, his blazing vigour slumbered into tiny sparks, “Are you okay?” She wept. He wiped her eyes and cupped her face and asked in a soft tone expressing his worry, “Are you hurt?” She shook her head and with her voice trembling she said, “I didn’t know what happened…”, she cried in his arms, “All I heard was a screech sound and the next instant… it seemed like someone… flew over and crashed…”. “It’s alright… It’s alright… I’ll take care of everything…”, he consoled her and took her away. Seungho couldn’t comprehend what they were talking about but, their care for each other left a mark in him.

After a while, Yooram’s car pulled over and he got down. But, he was accompanied by another person in crisp suit. Yooram hesitantly said, “He is a relative of my friend. He is the chief police officer in this jurisdiction. He wants to have a talk with you…”, which puzzled Seungho.

“You’re Yoo Seungho?”, the chief police officer asked.

“Yeah…”, Seungho nodded.

“Did you file a missing report? Or did you file…”

“Missing report” he answered promptly and asked, “Any information about Sohyun?”

Ignoring his question, the officer asked, “Any identities like dress, shoes… when she left for work this morning?”

“White shirt and…”

“Any other accessories?”

“Red watch, brown handbag… I have mentioned everything in the report…”. His questions made Seungho apprehensive, “Nothing happened to her, isn’t it?”

“Come with me…”, the officer said and walked towards the car.

“Where?”, he asked perplexed.

He turned around and looked into his eyes, “To your wife”, he said.

Yooram drove them to a hospital. With each step carefully and cautiously taken, Seungho followed them to the intensive care unit. Inside one of such rooms, through the glass, Seungho saw Sohyun. Lying on the hospital bed, with all those beeping machines, tubes and wires. When he tried to take a closer look, the nurse stopped him and asked him to wait outside if he didn’t have the permission to enter that ward. At that time, on seeing the officer beside Seungho, a doctor approached him, “You’re the relative of that patient?” he asked pointing towards Sohyun.

He nodded, “I’m her husband...”

“She is out of danger. But, the impact of the hit is heavy… So, for complete status…we can say only after she regains her consciousness…”, doctor uttered and took his leave.

He listened to him in shock. Dragging himself, he approached the chief police officer who was talking to a couple. It’s the same couple who argued in front of the police station. The officer directed towards the man, “To introduce him in simple terms, he is a business tycoon and also the son of …”

Seungho interrupted, “Is he the one who hit her?” He didn’t seem pleased with the introduction.

The officer “It was a blind spot from CCTV, and moreover we don’t know if your wife was really hit by them or someone else… because doctor said it was a multiple hit…”

His every word angered Seungho, he clenched his jaw and tightened his fist. Realizing it, the man stepped up, “I’m really sorry…”, he said bowing. “I’ll pray for…”

Though Seungho’s eyes were filled with pain, his words were filled with rage and he rigidly sounded, “You pray to God… If anything happens to her, only God can save you…” and Seungho stepped away. While walking away Seungho said, “How much ever a powerful person you may be, even if you know higher officials in police… I won’t leave you…” Seungho stopped midway and asked, “Did you think if there is no CCTV coverage, you could coverup your wrong?”

 “My husband has done nothing wrong”, wife replied.

Seungho directed his attention towards Mrs. Lee. His eyes widened in surprise and anger on hearing ‘nothing wrong’.

“I’m the sinner…”, Mrs. Lee confessed while drowning her eyes in tears, “I took the car… and…”. Mr. Lee rushed to comfort her and patted on her back calling her softly, “Dear…”. He repeated that only word again and again while consoling her.

She continued while sobbing, “No dear… why should you take the blame for me? When… I was the one… This sin will never let me live happily…” Mr. Lee hugged his wife while she started to blame herself. “What have I done?”, she cried. He let her cry I his arms saying, “Nothing will happen to her…”.

Seungho just looked at them with envy. ‘Sohyun-ah, how did I comfort you when you cried? Why can’t I remember it? When you talked about depressing topics, why did I always change the subject? Before, I evaded your tears from your eyes but, lately I avoided your tears in your eyes… What sort of a husband am I to you?”

 After taking care of all formalities at the hospital, he called their families to inform them. He called Sohyun’s mother to inform about her condition. He took his utmost care to not shock them with the facts and asked her to visit Sohyun tomorrow since visiting hours are over. He went home distressed and packed his clothes to stay at the hospital. He looked at the calendar where Sohyun used to mark the days they fight, and every day was marked. He leaned against the wall looking at the marks on the calendar, slid down and crouched down. He bent down his head and the uncontrolled tears left his eyes. The pain that flowed along with tears are palpable. His creased face and tight fist wanted to express his despair. “Why did you have to lie on the bed again?”, he mumbled, “I can’t go on without you… don’t you know that Sohyun-ah”

“I knew, I would find you like this…”, a familiar voice sounded.

Seungho immediately looked up to find his dad, Mr. Yoo. He handed over a carry bag to him which had packed dinner. Instead of a kind word, he pronounced, “If the one who can lend you their shoulders are not by your side, then you have your own hands to wipe that tears off your face, haven’t you?”

Seungho wiped his tears and stood up with heavy heart.

The pain that reflected through his eyes, unconsciously made Mr. Yoo to embrace him. Mr. Yoo was a man of few words but, his actions always spoke louder.

After a note of visiting his daughter-in-law tomorrow, Mr. Yoo left and Seungho spent his night in the hospital. He woke up early, took his bath and rushed to Sohyun’s room. Since, her condition improved, they transferred her to general ward.

Seungho sat by her side having his eyes laid on her. He just stared at her who was covered with bandages all over. The scratches on her face was lined by red stains. He called out to her softly, “Sohyun-ah… Why are you not waking up? Are you scared of fighting again?”, he paused for a moment while fighting back his tears, “I saw a husband… he told his wife who has come after mangling a woman with her car ‘Don’t worry. I’ll look after everything’. But I…”, he hung his head down resting it on her bed. He mumbled with his tears choking his voice, “I understood… While dating you, I was always chasing you around… that is not ‘Love’. After losing you, the way I roamed the streets searching for you… that is love. Sohyun-ah… Don’t be angry on me. I’m sorry, I’m sorry!!”

He faced up and looked at her, “For a second, I imagined how my life would be without you… and those were the bleakest seconds of my life… So, what should I-”, his words got struck when he saw her fighting to have her eyelids apart. With her eyes half open and the blurred vision, she could hear Seungho calling out her name. Using her every bit of strength, she finally opened her eyes and saw him sitting by her side.

Sohyun slowly batted her eyelids, signalling him to come closer. He leaned in with a smile, lending his ears.

She whispered something with the oxygen mask on. But, it wasn’t audible to Seungho. She pointed towards the mask asking him to take it off. When he took it off, she whispered, “I love you”, trying to make up for the fight.

“Can you do anything for me?” Can you jump off this building for me?”, he by throwing the questions that she once threw at him.

“I don’t know… but, I love you”, she answered.

“Are we interrupting you?”, Mrs. Yoo’s voice sounded. Seungho got up and welcomed everyone inside. Mr and Mrs. Yoo and Chaeyoung came to visit her. Mrs. Yoo handed over the flowers and fruits to Seungho and said eyeing Mr. Yoo, “Because someone wanted to buy flowers, we made a detour and arrived late!”

Sohyun smiled with all her strength on seeing them.

“I thought we’ll get to see you only when you have a child…”, Chaeyoung threw a sarcasm.

Mr. Yoo cleared his throat gaining everyone’s attention. “Let her take rest. We’ll visit you later…”, and before he walked away, he looked at Sohyun saying, “Don’t blindly cross the roads”

“Take care Sohyun-ah”, Mrs. Yoo cheered her.

“Seriously? You’re leaving? We just arrived!”, Chaeyoung whined but, soon followed them after bidding her goodbye.

After everyone left, Sohyun chuckled. She realized, kind words need not be put in beautiful words and prettily packed under sugar coat to be felt. Seungho was more worried about Sohyun because she might need her parents by her side upon seeing his parents dropping by. Likewise, every time Sohyun heard the door opening, she looked expectant.

Taking her meds, Sohyun slept while Seungho stayed beside her playing games in his phone. He was too engrossed in the game that he didn’t notice some one entering until that person spoke, “Oh! Se was sleeping, I thought she hasn’t regained her consciousness yet!”

Seungho turned his head to witness Jaeha standing behind him.

Though it startled him, he replied calmly, “Yeah”

“Why don’t you shift her to our hospital? She’ll feel comfortable and safe with familiar faces”, Jaeha asked him but his sight was on Sohyun and the monitors showing her vitals.

“I’ll ask her when she wakes up”, Seungho replied curtly.

“Sohyun’s parents will arrive here soon…”

Seungho’s eyes widened at the pleasant surprise, “Really…”

Jaeha interrupted him, “You created a cloud to see the silver lining?”

“What?”, Seungho bewildered at his question.

“You needed a wound, a despair, an accident to befall on Sohyun to bring the families together?”, Jaeha accosted as he stared into Seungho’s eyes.

 

 

 

 

AUTHOR'S THOUGHTS:

Hello dear! Hope you're going well:)

It's a late update! And forgive the cliches, dramas and drags in this chapter! I was busy and got only a day to draft this chapter... Thankyou for reading:)

 

P.S:

I hope you might've heard about the earthquake of magnitude 5.4 on richter scale (i.e., that energy of earthquake is high enough to heat New York city for one year) followed by Tsumani (6 m high waves) in Indonesia. The death toll has crossed 800 and it is estimated to reach thousand. The pipes and lines were damaged that there was no electricity and water supply for the people survived. People's livelihood were literally shattered. Though we might be on the other side of the world, I hope our prayers will reach them.