- 7 -

Love’s Long Journey

JaeKyung anxiously looked at her watch.  The kids would be arriving any minute.  Castia, our guests will be hungry; it’s lunchtime back home.  A pasta dish would be nice and some meat pies for later and desserts.  You know how kids are, they’re always hungry,” JaeKyung winked at her housekeeper.

 - “Umma, isn’t all this food we’re making for when the Kim’s come?”  Twelve-year-old HaJin had a knack for the kitchen and often helped Castia with dinner preparation.  School hours were much shorter in Athens than back home, in Seoul, so there was more time for hobbies.  However, even good intentions fly out the window when faced with hardships and double work.

Castia quickly covered for her employer “What do you mean, child?  Aren’t the Kim’s arriving soon?”

 - “Umma?  I thought Appa said they wouldn’t be here until after he left for work?”

Leave it to kids and the audio recorders in their brains“Ma’am?  Did I make a mistake?”  Castia looked up to JaeKyung to continue the story.

 - “Anieyo!  Na thought we could have a small feast, later in the evening to welcome them.  We can invite the neighbors.”  JaeKyung turned her back on Castia and HaJin and let out her breath in relief.  A short-lived relief.

 - “Umma?!”  A voice came from JaeKyung’s phone“Zoe just placed floor mattresses in my room?”

JaeKyung turned to look at Castia“I swear, if we weren’t leaving soon, I’d fire her.  Why does she never follow orders?  I told her to have them ready, not place them in HaNa’s room.”

 - “Ma’am, I would have fired her long ago.”

 - “Choah, Zoe Unnie!  Don’t fire her!”  HaJin defended her favorite housekeeper.

 - “It’s not worth it or else I would,” JaeKyung said.  HaNa-yah!  I’m coming up, Zoe made a mistake again.”  JaeKyung was already up the stairs when her alarm went off.  It was time to wake WooBin.  Aiish!  Everyone needs to just hurry up and get here.  Even Jihoo wasn’t this difficult to surprise.”  She mumbled, wondering why it was so difficult to surprise one fifteen-year-old.  For now, HaNa had to wait for an explanation until her Appa awakened.

 - “Mm…, I love your cologne,” Jaekyung wrapped her arms (with a huge smile on her face) against her husband’s back as he tied his tie in front of the full-length mirror.  HaNa’s friends were set to arrive any second.  She couldn’t believe they had all managed to keep the secret.  WooBin was dressed as if he would leave for work right after dinner and she had just called the boys in from the pool, while HaNa was rearranging her room so that Isabel and JaeIn could sleep with her if they chose to.  She had no idea it was actually HaEun and JeongHee that would be sleeping in her room, while InSo could sleep with HaJun or HaJun could sleep in the guesthouse with JaeWon.

 - “And I love you, babe.”  WooBin turned and gave her a slow kiss.  “Haengbohkae?”

 - “Mmm, I’m so excited to have everyone over.  Bogoshipo our chingu and I never realize how much until we see them again.”

 - “I get you, babe.  I’m looking forward to going home.   None of our new friends can ever replace the F4.”

 -”Deh...hajiman Abi is daeback!  She’s my F5.”

WooBin laughed “Sorry babe, there’s only F4.”

 - “I can have my own F4, F5 - or mollah...even F10.”  WooBin was laughing at his cute wife“Yah!”

 - “Deh, deh…My cute monkey can have all the friends that she wants as long as she remembers who her number one is.”

 - “Greomyo!  JaeKyung threw her arms around WooBin’s neck, making him step back.  He circled her waist with his arms and their lips met.  An action that usually led them to be late for dinner.

WooBin’s phone ringing interrupted their moment.  “Aish, this better be good.” He said, slowly releasing his wife.  “Yo, Nicholas, wus up?”

 - “Arraso.  We’ll let them surprise dtal.  Bring them up.”  WooBin ended the call and looked at his wife “They’re here.  Action!”

JaeKyung and WooBin slowly opened their door to see Castia escorting a tiptoeing and grinning trio toward HaNa’s room.  “Miss Hana?”  Castia knocked on the door.  “Dinner will be served, your Appa is leaving early so that he can come back to receive the Kim’s.

 - “Just about done.  Are Umma and Appa downstairs, yet?”

 - “Yes, Miss Hana, they just went down.”

 - “Jeongmal?  Appa really must be in a hurry.  I’ll finish my room after dinner.”  HaNa opened the door and screamed.

 - “Surprise!!”  The three shouted back.  InSo was the first to step forward, giving her a squeezing hug.

 - “InSo-yah!!  Michin!”  She reached up to mess his hair.  He let go, grinning and combing it back into place.   The two girls stepped forward to embrace their friend and the three ended up squealing and jumping up and down.  “Omo-omo-omo!!  Eottokae?  You’re here!  Am I dreaming?”

 - “Mollah, are you?”  InSo gave HaNa a pinch on the arm.

 - “Yah!”  She swatted at him but laughed anyway.  “You guys are daeback!”  She hugged them all again and gave InSo a kiss on each cheek.  “Ara, this was probably your idea.  Gomawo.”

InSo’s face turned pink and he cleared his throat awkwardly. Attracted by all the noise, the rest of the Song children came out of their rooms.  “Hyeong!  What are you doing here?”  HaJun asked, with wide eyes, of the Robotics King of Shinhwa.  At ten-years-old, he practically worshipped all his older boy cousins for all their talents. HaJun was still trying to figure out his.  Being the younger brother to two older sisters was hard enough.

 - “Hey, squirt!”  InSo tried to put him in a headlock but the kid was smart and evaded him.  “Arraso, arraso,” InSo laughed.  “We’ll shoot some hoops while I’m here, deh?”

 - “Deh!”

This time, InSo managed to ruffle the kid’s straight but messy hair.

HaNa was still smiling from ear to ear when WooBin cleared his throat “Did Appa and Umma know they were coming?”  She asked, surprised, though she shouldn’t be.  Her Appa was Superman as far as she was concerned.

 - “Who else could get their parents to agree?”  WooBin asked.

 - “Nae Appa!!”  HaNa hurried to her Father and clung to his neck.  He lifted her easily off her feet.  She was only 5’4 ½ (163 centimeters).  “Appa, gomawoyo.”

 - “Yah!  What about Umma?  It was very difficult to keep this secret you know.”

 - “Gomawoyo Umma!”  HaNa gave her Mother a tight squeeze.

 - “As for the rest of you; come, give Imo a hug.”  One by one, InSo, HaEun, and JeongHee gave JaeKyung a quick hug.  InSo and HaEun having hung back a little shyly, JaeKyung pulled into her embrace.  “You two are getting too tall!”  She complained as both InSo and HaEun passed her modest 5’5.

 - “Babe, don’t embarrass the kids,” WooBin saved them from more of his wife’s gushing.

 - “I can’t help it.  I missed you guys.  Why didn’t we think of having them over before?”

WooBin grinned; aside from Jihoo, his other two friends and their wives had come to visit without children for some much-needed adult time.  “Babe, we’ll be moving back to Seoul soon and you’ll be able to spend as much time as you want with everyone.”

 - “Not everyone; Jihoo and Ilana are still in LA,” JaeKyung frowned.

 - “Gwenchana, Imo, we’ll be back in Seoul again before we’re missed,” HaEun hoped to make her aunt smile again.

 - “We miss you all the time!”  HaNa wrapped HaEun in a side hug.

 - “Maja!”  InSo agreed.

 - “See!” kiss 

 - “Well, they’re here now and they didn’t come all this way to stand in the hallway.”  WooBin had to move things along or his wife would never let them go.  “Kaja, chincha, I should show my face at the club even if it’s only for an hour.  With that said, I’m sure the kids are hungry.”

This spurred JaeKyung into hostess mode instead of Imo mode.  “Deh!  Castia made you guys some of the best Greek dishes and then later, we’ll have a small reception with appetizers and dessert when the Kim’s arrive.”

Making their way to the dinner table, everyone gave their thanks for the food.  The large platters of food on the table resembled a typical Korean meal and no one hesitated to dig in“Imo, everything looks delicious.  I don’t know where to start.”  They’d had a gourmet meal on the plane some hours ago but the sight and tantalizing smell of the food in front of her made HaEun’s stomach rumble embarrassingly.

 - “Guys!  Try the fish!  It’s Castia’s call to fame.”

 - “I helped!”  HaJin called out.

 - “Imo, what kind of fish is it?”  InSo was a bit squeamish at the eyes staring back at him.

 - “It’s a mullet,” JaeKyung answered.  “Just get past the first bite and I guarantee you’ll love it.”

 - “Okay, but can someone get rid of its face?”  InSo was used to many delicacies but a fish staring back at him, he was not.

 - “I’ll take the fish head, son,” WooBin grinned at the boy who sometimes resembled his Father.

 - “Kansamnida,” InSo still didn’t touch the fish and took some of the olives, bread, and tzatziki (yogurt, cucumber, and garlic).

HaEun noticed InSo seemingly frozen, staring at the fishplate.  Smiling, she spooned some fish and rice onto his plate.  “Oppa pabo, the head is gone.  It can’t bite.”  She laughed at the glare he gave her.

 - “Nae dongsaeng is spoiled rotten.  HaEun does everything for him,” HaNa noticed everything just like her Mother.

 - “Gwenchana, Oppa does everything for me too.”

 - “His yeoja chingu won’t be able to handle him,” JaeKyung grinned“InSo-yah, make sure you instruct HaEun’s namja-chingu how to take care of her.”

 - “Imo!”  HaEun cried out, her face beginning to turn the same color as the tomato.

 - “Greomyo, Imo!  No unworthy namja will get past me.”

 - “Mmm...and InSo will set the standard?”  JeongHee mumbled but only HaNa heard and nearly choked on her drink.

 - “Unnie!”  JeongHee helpfully pounded on her back.

 - “Appa says you just need to ride it out,” HaEun said with a sorrowful face.

 - “Someone...shouldn’t...make me laugh...while I’m trying to drink,” HaNa sputtered.

 - “Hmm, I wonder who did that?”  JeongHee asked innocently.

 - “Oppa was busy eating and HaNa Unnie is the one choking...that leaves JeongHee Unnie,HaEun said.  Those three were always making her laugh.  And the only one that could bring her back from complete terror was InSo.  She turned and gave a sweet smile to her knight and best friend.  “Gwenchana, Oppa, I’ll be too busy studying to have a namja chingu.”

 - “Oppa will make sure you eat well, stop at a decent time each night, and no namja will bother you.”

 - “InSo-yah, planning on moving into her house?”  HaNa teased.

 - “Guerae...wae anieyo?”

 - “Dude, something tells me your parents wouldn’t allow you living outside your house.  You were fortunate they allowed you to come all this way without them.  Not to mention, Jihoo and Ilana probably don’t need another son.”

HaEun giggled at this idea“Hokshina we can trade HaYi for Oppa.  She’ll probably never want to talk to me again, anyway.”

 - “Oooh, was our HaYi very upset at your coming to visit?  Yeobo, I didn’t even think about how she would feel,” JaeKyung frowned, fork suspended in mid-air.

 - “Babe, we’ll send her something special and promise to visit as soon as we can.  Why don’t you call her, soon?”

 - “Maja!  HaEun-ah...yeoja, we’ll go shopping.”

 - “Daeback!”  HaNa and JeongHee sat up excitedly in their seats.

 - “HaEun-ah, smile.  You’ll have fun, yagsog!”  HaNa looked at her friend’s forced smile.  Her siblings all liked to shop (HaLee shopped for everything but clothes) while she was like her Umma and only shopped when she needed something.  Of course, she rarely needed anything.  Her Appa was fond of ordering her clothes from time to time and her godmother did too.

 - “I hope our HaYi didn’t give your Abeoji too hard of a time?”  JaeKyung was still worrying about HaLee and wondered how to console their goddaughter.  Ilana always scolded her for spoiling the kid but what good was it to be a godparent if you couldn’t spoil them?

 - “She threw a fit the entire way to the airport.  Appa was furious and left her in the SUV.”  Thankfully, only Jihoo’s and Brendon’s fingerprints could start the ignition and the windows darkened so that nothing was visible inside the vehicle.

 - “Poor baby.  Is she okay now?”

 - “Deh...jeogumyo.  Appa and Umma promised her she could participate in a local equestrian club if she behaves and keeps her grades up.”

 - “Ha!  If only it were that easy.  JeonJa is always getting into trouble, no matter what threats or bribes Appa gives her.  She just snuck out of school last week to go shopping in Myeondong!”

 - “Omo!  What did your Abeoji do?”

 - “Appa just glared at her and told her he would lock her in her room until she was twenty (Korean Coming of Age) and mumbled about his daughters driving him to drink while Umma was furious and grabbed her by the hair and found the first rod-like item within in reach and whacked her behind her calves.”

 - “Ouchie!”  HaEun grimaced, feeling the phantom pain in her own calves.  “Even Appa has never done that to HaLee.”

 - “Ouch, is right!”  JaeKyung was never disciplined by her parents while growing up and shuddered.  Feeling her husband staring at her, she turned to look at him.  “Yeobo, whatever you’re thinking - stop!”  Her husband had a wicked gleam in his eye.

 - “Wae?  Amogotdo anieyo!”  He did nothing to hide his self-satisfied smile as he wondered how his wife would look bent over and her shapely legs warm under his lips after whacking them with his belt or perhaps a nice stick.  “Saranghae, babe,” he winked at her, delighting in her blushes.

She was momentarily caught by that smirk on his face and undisguised desire on his face.  JaeKyung had to fight to keep her head“Pyuntae!   Knock it off!  The kids are going to tell tales about their odd aunt and uncle.”

WooBin laughed“InSo-yah, HaEun-ah, JeongHee-yah...tell us the truth, your Umma and Appa tell you that your Imo and I are micheouso, deh?”

 - “Deh!”  InSo and JeongHee laughed.  Usually, Imo JaeKyung and Ajussi WooBin weren’t mentioned in conversation without the word “micheouso” also included.

 - “Anieyo, Imo!”  HaEun thought her friends had to be joking.  “Umma always says Imo and Ajussi are some of the kindest and friendliest people she knows.”

 - “Well, your Umma and Abeoji are also some of the kindest people we know.  So are InSo’s Umma and Abeoji and JeongHee’s Umma and Abeoji,” WooBin smiled at the kids.  The F4 spirit was very much alive and he couldn’t imagine them ever not being a part of his children’s lives and he in the lives of his friend’s children.

 - “Umma, what about Ajumma Abigail and JaeJoong Uissanim?  Are they also some of the nicest people you know?”  HaNa blurted out, wanting to make sure her parents thought well of her boyfriend’s parents.

 - “Greomyo, we wouldn’t be having them over, if we didn’t!”  JaeKyung answered.  They only ever had their closest friends and family over for extended stays.  Clients were sometimes invited for dinner but never to stay.

WooBin stared at his eldest for a bit, wondering exactly why she’d asked that.  His gut had its suspicions but he still hoped it was wrong“Appa?”  HaNa had caught him staring.

WooBin stood.  “Na should get to the club so I’m not too late in greeting our other guests.”

The kids had stood to acknowledge an adult’s leaving the table and JaeKyung followed her husband.  Exchanging a tender kiss with his wife, at the door.  “I’ll be back soon, deh?  Make sure Kim JaeWook and our HaNa aren’t left alone together.”

JaeKyung rolled her laughing eyes.  “Yeobo...with nine other kids around, you think they’ll be able to hide?  And what would be so horrible about them liking each other?”

He raised an eyebrow and somewhat glared at her.  “Babe, don’t get me started.”  Taking her by arms, he pulled her close, and kissed her, distracting her from her thoughts.  If she were a bee, she would be stunned by the smoke from his fiery kiss.  Releasing his wife, WooBin rushed out the door.

Waking up from her temporary slumber, JaeKyung realized her husband was already gone and heading to his car “Jerk!”  She yelled out.  “You’re mine as soon as you get back.  I don’t care who’s here!”

Dinner over, HaNa had dragged her friends into her room.  InSo narrowly escaped her little brother, HaJun who wanted to play basketball or his newest computer game.  With HaNa tugging on his arm and a promise of showing him some dives tomorrow, the three ensconced themselves in her room.  Closing and locking her door, HaNa jumped on her bed, under the skylight and black crystal chandelier, while InSo and JeongHee fought over the hanging black chair in the corner.  It really was big enough for the both of them but InSo quite often didn’t know how to share.  Grabbing a black with purple banded cylinder pillow from the pile of black and purple (her favorite color) decorative pillows, she to her stomach, “Guys!  In just two hours, JaeWook Oppa will be here!  What am I going to say?  What will he say?  Will I still be his #1?  Oh God!  Why am I so nervous?”

 - “If he’s on only been playing around with you, I’ll kill him,” InSo ground his teeth thinking about it.  He’d heard from a friend, who was a friend of a friend whose cousin went to the same school as the Kim brothers and he said Kim JaeWook was known for being a philanderer and even if it was a private religious school, girls still threw themselves at him.  He couldn’t tell this to his friend.  InSo hoped it was a rumor.  He thought of all the Casanova and Don Juan stories regarding HaNa and JeongHee’s Abeoji and most of the kids didn’t believe them.  If they were really womanizers, how was it possible that his Imo-deul willingly married them?  He was certain his Umma would never treat them as such good friends if they really were Casanova and Don Juan.

 - “InSo-ah!  Hajima!”  JeongHee, next to him, could hear him grinding his teeth.  “Stop grinding your teeth or Abeoji will be baking your porcelain teeth in the kiln.”  The mental image of InSo without teeth, made her double over with laughter.

HaEun, seated on a furry purple stool across from them tried to keep from grinning but failed.  HaNa was deep in thought and oblivious to the giggles around her and InSo’s glares.  She mentally ransacked her closet, changed her hairstyle (even its color), and thought about what lipstick would say “I missed you”.

 - “Guys, we lost HaNa Unnie,” HaEun had changed her focus to avoid getting glared at by her Oppa.  She happened to like his lovely teeth, they made for a very nice smile.  But still, the idea of JeongHee’s Abeoji having to make him teeth was very funny.

 - “She only thinks of him…,” InSo scoffed.  “We were your chingu before he was your namja chingu.”

HaNa snapped out of her trance as InSo’s words caught up to her ears.  “Deh, deh, InSo-yah.  Mian.  Hajiman, it’s different.  You three have to love me.  You’re my chingu.  What if he takes a look at me in person and thinks I’m not pretty enough or decides that a long distance relationship isn’t worth it.  What if Appa makes a scene?”

A less than confident HaNa was cause for concern.  The three friends looked from one to the other and immediately jumped on the bed surrounding her in a hug.  The girls on either side of her and InSo positioned himself so that he could hug all three of them at once.  The girls all screamed, especially HaNa since most of InSo’s weight was on her “InSo-yah!  Get off!!”  Any parent walking in would most likely not appreciate this display but group hugs, tickle, and pillow fights, kisses to the forehead and cheeks had been part of their friendship for as long as they could all remember.

Laughing, InSo moved first, adjusting one of the pillows under his head.  The girls shifted slightly laying on their stomachs and propping their heads up with their arms.

 - “Jeongmal, if that jerk dares hurt you, I’ll challenge him to a sparring competition and have WooBin Ajussl’s men make sure he shows up."

 - “InSo-ah, if he dare’s hurt me, I’ll make sure his Abeoji has to treat his internal bleeding and rearranged face,” HaNa’s eyes darkened, focusing on a vision only she could see.  “Gomawo, InSo-ah hajiman I wouldn’t need your help.”

 - “Andwaeyo, Unnie.  JaeWook Oppa wouldn’t hurt you.”  Despite living in a flawed world and everything that had happened to her Mother, she still believed that most people were good.  Especially those in her acquaintance.

GaEul looked at HaNa’s tightly pressed lips (a sign of her irritation) and HaEun's furrowed brows (a sign of her worry) and sat up abruptly “Enough!  No one is hurting nae Unnie.  Unnie-ah, JaeWook Oppa will be here in two hours and you’re still not dressed.”

 - “Well, she’s not ,” InSo rolled his eyes.

 - “She might as well be,” JeongHee countered “She can’t meet her boyfriend and his parents in this romper?  Everyone up, we have work to do.”  JeongHee was much more assertive than her mother was at her age.  GaEul had transformed when she decided to love Casanova.  She was now, the confidant Mother of three and educational director of the So museum, also offering ceramics classes to children and their parents.  JeongHee determined spirit came from her Mother.  “HaEun-ah, start going through Unnie’s closet.  InSo-ah, help Unnie up onto this stool.  I’ll go through her makeup and plug in the flat iron.”

HaEun shrugged.  “What am I looking for,” she opened the enormous closet.

 - “You’ll know once you see it,” JeongHee responded.

 - “Noona, eeliwah and I’ll lift you onto the stool.

 - “I can manage to get on the stool myself.  I’m not that short.”  HaNa had allowed InSo to drag her off the bed, carrying her over to the stool and was ready to set her feet onto the stool, ignoring her.  Between swimming and Taekwondo, InSo had to keep himself fit, his muscles were lean but he was strong.  He quite enjoyed flexing them for the girls as their self-proclaimed brother and protector.

HaEun was busy bringing out clothes for HaNa to consider and JeongHee was going through HaNa’s makeup and perfume.  Before pulling out a skirt, HaEun was doubtful about, she asked InSo.  “Oppa, what about this one?”

 - “Ehhh, neaga not needed here, maja?”  InSo spoke up.  Considering his best friends were all female, one would expect InSo to be rather effeminate or unmanly unless he was shopping himself or birthdays and Christmas, he’d rather be swimming than picking out clothes and especially makeup.  Once the girls were all done he could praise the final product but not be part of the decision making.  HaEun had turned back to the skirt in her hands and pulled it out of the closet anyway, without InSo’s help.  InSo sighed, his friends were in “girl mode” and not paying attention to him.  “I’d rather play video games,” he muttered while making his escape.  No one would notice for at least a few minutes.  HaEun would have to soothe his hurt feelings that none of them noticed him leave.

 - “Hyeong?!”  HaJun was surprised to see his sister’s friend.

 - “Hey kid, can I play?”  HaJun was playing InSo’s current favorite PC game.

 - “Gueraeyo!  Guys, my hyeong is joining us!”  He said to his online friends through the headset he wore.

 - “Daeback!”  InSo grabbed a controller and joined in the game.  What followed was the usual gaming grunts, sighs, shouts, and occasional swearing.

 - “Hyeong!  Watch out!!”

InSo turned his man quickly and struck first filling his enemy with holes.  “We did it!”  Shouted HaJun, giving his Hyeong a hi5.  “I can’t wait until we go back to Seoul.  We can play together all the time!”

 - “Guerae,” InSo bumped his fist against HaJun’s.  “We’ll play in the F4 hangout.  You’re old enough.  You’ll have to go through an initiation and pass a challenge.”

 - “I’m a Song, I can do anything!”  HaJun thumped his chest, proudly.  This kid was so cute, InSo couldn’t help play it up for him.  “It might be dangerous.  We can’t just let anyone into the hangout, you know.”

 - “I’m not afraid.  I have my 1st gup red belt!”

 - “Mmm, deh...you’ll need it.  You’ll have to prove you can defend the hideout against invasion.”

 - “I can do it!  Watch!!”  The boy was about to demonstrate his skills when a knock was heard on the door.

 - “Namja!”  JaeKyung called through the door “The Kim’s will be here in fifteen minutes.  You better have dressed and made yourselves decent before you started playing."

 - “Deh Umma!”  HaJun immediately stopped what he was about to do and pulled his Hyeong by the arm.  “Hyeong, quick...we need to change.  If Umma gets angry, she’ll kick our butts.”  InSo, laughing, remained where he was; his aunt JaeKyung couldn’t be scarier than his Umma.  HaJun flew into his closet pulling out his “company” clothes, having showered before dinner, he’d only thrown on a graphic tee and jogger pants and left his hair to fend for itself.  Grabbing white denim jeans and a blue gingham shirt, HaJun began ripping his clothes off while InSo still sat there.  “Hyeong, when Umma says 15 minutes, she means it!”  JaeKyung was lenient with many things except when guests were coming and dinner time with appa.  Cross her at those times and a fierce dragon appeared where their fun Umma had been.

 - “Aish...I’m already dressed.  I changed in the plane before we landed.

HaJun looked over his sister’s friend in simple jeans and t-shirt“Anieyo  hyeong, that won’t do.”  He nodded his head “Umma makes a big deal about company, no matter who it is."

Isabel walked arm and arm with Jaejoong through the airport while the boys grumbled having to push the luggage cart.  Abigail rolled her eyes, smiling, behind them and nine-year-old JaeIn begged for a ride on top of the luggage “Oppa, juseyo?!!!  I want a ride.”

 - “Hija (daughter), el carrito de equipaje no es para acarrear niñas desobedientes como tú. (Daughter, the luggage cart isn’t for carrying disobedient little girls like you).”  JaeIn had perfected the quivering chin that her older sister hadn’t quite mastered.  Abigail had been much stricter back then.  Not that she wasn’t, still, but there was always someone interfering.  “Hija, sin hacer pucheros por favor (daughter, without pouting, please).  Abigail said in her no-nonsense voice.
 
- “You two push,” JaeWook told his brothers.’

 - “Hyeong!”

 - “That’s not fair!”

 - “Then Jae Won can carry the little princess.”

 - “Anieyo!  She’s heavy!”  Eleven-year-old JaeWon protested.

 - “Am not, heavy!!!”  JaeIn would have marched up to her brother and kicked him but Abigail grabbed her by the backpack.

 - “¡Hija, compórtate (daughter, behave)!”

 - “Mama, I got her - climb on,” JaeWook crouched down in front of his little sister.

 - “Gomawoyo, Oppa!”

JaeWook hoisted her onto his back “There...our little princess isn’t heavy at all, maja?!  JaeWon-ah, start doubling your pushups.”  JaeWon ignored his oldest brother.

JaeIn giggled.  “JaeWook Oppa is daeback!”

 - “Who’s daeback?”

 - “JaeWook, Oppa!”  JaeIn said, loudly.

 - “I can’t hear you.”

 - “JaeWook Oppa!”  She shrieked.

 - “JaeIn!!”  Abigail scolded.

 - “Yah!  You’re not supposed to scream in Oppa’s ear.”  JaeWook shook his head to stop the ringing.

 - “Mianhae, Oppa…” JaeIn tightened her hold on her brother.

 - “JaeWook, she’s going to be a spoiled brat thanks to you boys.”  JaeIn’s brothers were both bullied her and at the same time spoiled her.  They toted her around like a mascot, sometimes making her do their chores but then rewarding her with treats or watching her favorite movies with her, even playing with her and her dolls.  The boys let her climb all over them, giving her unlimited piggyback rides, beyond the point of exhaustion.  As long as their little princess was happy.

Isabel laughed at the conversation behind her and turned her head.  “Mama used to give Appa the same speech and I turned out alright,” she gave Jaejoong a bright smile to go with the twinkling mischief in her eyes.

 - “No you didn’t, Abigail said, narrowing her eyes at her daughter “Appa let you run off to Seoul.”  Abigail knew it was possible her daughter might want to go away to college, marrying Jaejoong gave her daughter opportunities she never would have had otherwise but never expected Isabel to leave the country!

Isabel let go her Father’s arm and walked back to grab her Mom’s.  “Maaaamaaa,” she leaned her head against her Mom’s.  “I miss you too,” leaning in she kissed her Mom’s smooth cheek and continued staring as they walked.

 - “Que tanto me ves (How much are you looking at me)?  Se te olvido la cara de tu mama (Did you forget your mother’s face)?”

 - “Si...estas mas bella que nunca (Yes...you’re more beautiful than ever).”  She knew there were a few wrinkles under the carefully applied makeup but her Mama was still beautiful.

 - “I couldn’t agree more, yippeun,” Jaejoong placed his hand around his wife’s back and they continued toward the exit.

 - “Oh, you two...keep going,” Abigail laughed.

 - “¡Sin vergüenza, Mama!”  Isabel laughed.  “You’re starting to sound like Appa and Wookie.”

 - “Well, she is my wife,” Jaejoong grinned down at Abigail.

 - “Hey, Noona, can we not do the whole Wookie thing when we get to the Song’s?  I don’t mind when it’s just us but it gets kind of awkward around strangers.”  JaeWook didn’t mind when his special girl called him that but that was only between them and not being broadcasted for the entire world to hear.

 - “Aww, my Wookie doesn’t want to be called Wookie in front of everybody?”  Isabel taunted and JaeIn, on JaeWook’s back, giggled.

 - “Yah, I’ll just dump you in the nearest trash can, kid,” JaeWook threatened.

 - “Kid?  I thought I was your little princess?”

 - “You’re still my little princess,” Jaejoong scooped her off his son’s back, making her squeal.

 - “Well, I can try to keep from calling you, Wookie, dear dongsaeng...” Isabel wasn’t as tall as JaeWook, so all she could do was hook her arm through his.  “But, Imo JaeKyung is another story.  You’ll always be Wookie to her.”

JaeWook vaguely wondered if that’s where HaNa had gotten the idea of calling him Wookie.  She must have overheard her Mother “I suppose, I can deal with it every now and then.”

 - “Wookie-ah, don’t worry, I’ll just say it when it’s just us, deh?”

 - “Deh…”  What choice did he have “At least JaeIn is lucky no one calls her Innie.”

 - “Innie?”  She was still being carried by Jaejoong.  “I like it!  Appa, can I change my name?”

 - “No.”

Abigail rolled her eyes.  “Jae, put her down already.  You were this bad with Isabel too, she never wanted to walk anywhere because you always carried her.”

 - “Awww, I miss Appa’s piggyback rides!  I need a boyfriend (The restaurant owner’s face flashed in her brain), so that I can have piggyback rides again.”  A wistful smile was left on her face.

 - “No boyfriends!”  Jaejoong shouted.  “Not until we run a full background check on him.  Maybe we’ll give him to your Uncle WooBin’s bodyguards for a day; if he’s still alive then you two can date.”

 - “A-ppa!”

 - “Why?  Does Noona already have a boyfriend?”  JaeWook taunted his sister.

 - “O-of course not!”  Isabel willed herself not to blush.

 - “Why is Noona stuttering?”

 - “Yeah, Noona, why are you stuttering?”  JaeHyeon, had to jump in to tease their sister.  Things were kind of dull at home since she left.  At least they still had JaeIn to pick on.

 - “Jagi...we’re waiting for your answer?”  Jaejoong stopped walking to stare at her.

 - “Anieyo!!  Why would I say I need one if I already had one?!”  Why she was getting so worked up she didn’t know.  Perhaps she really did want to find someone to love.  She would be graduating soon and perhaps afterward she’d have time to date.  At least, she hoped so.

Abigail had seen a soft smile on her oldest daughter’s face, but then her husband and the boys began to .  Could there be someone special in her life already?  “Yah!  Déjenla (leave her alone).  Come here, baby girl,” Abigail saw the glassy eyes she knew so well.  Isabel had always been a sensitive child.  The slightest provocation and tears would begin to flow.  It seemed not much had changed.

Isabel half-smiled “You haven’t called me that in ages.”

 - “You’ll always be my baby girl.  I’ll love you forever, remember?”

 - “I’ll like you for always.”

 - “As long as I’m living, my baby you’ll be.”

 - “Abeoji!”  JaeHyeon complained.  "Mama and Noona are giving me a toothache from their sappiness.”

 - “Oh, leave them alone.  Umma and Noona are entitled to a little sap.”

Immediately exiting the airport doors, Jaejoong noticed a sign saying “Kim Family”.  “That must be WooBin’s driver,” he waved at the man with the sign.

 - “Good evening Mr. & Mrs. Kim, please get in,” he immediately went around opening the doors of the minibus.  Nicolas was small thin man but swift on his feet.

 - “Yay!!  We don’t have to watch the luggage anymore!”  JaeWon, the youngest and sometimes laziest immediately began to climb in.

JaeJoong caught him by the pant waist.  “Not so fast...let Umma, Noona, and JaeIn first.”

 - “Deh, abeoji…after you, Mama,” his pouty voice made it sound like he was inserting w’s in the words “after” and “Mama”.

 - “Thank you, JaeWon,” Abigail looked up to smile at her husband.  It was hard work raising gentlemanly boys.  With many women today, not appreciating a gentleman, it was that much more difficult to teach the boys that they should be.

 - “Appa, let Wookie sit in front, that way you can sit with Mama and me in the back.”  Abigail had climbed all the way to the very back seat and Isabel followed.  They had met Isabel’s plane in Moscow and the girl practically leaped into his arms.  He picked her up by the waist and swung her around as if she was still four years old.  It was always the same when Appa prince and his jagi were reunited.  Abigail, the boys, and JaeIn faded into the background.

 - “Arraso, in a minute.  JaeWook take the front.”

 - “Deh!”  JaeWook stuck his tongue out at his brothers and climbed in the front seat.

 - “Nicolas, do you need a hand?”

 - “Mr. Kim has been on a plane all day.  Please, sit and rest.  The Songs have planned a small reception on our arrival.  They will have food and drinks ready for when you arrive.”

 - “Appa, baegopahyo!”  JaeIn said.  She and JaeWon had immediately taken out their mobile devices to watch a video.

 - “You heard Mr. Nicolas, there will be food upon our arrival.”  JaeWook climbed in the back seat next to Isabel, whom had taken the middle spot.  He reached across his daughter to take his wife’s hand.  “Gwenchana?  Tired?”

 - “A little but I’ll be okay.  I’m getting hungry too.”  Abigail suddenly sat up and began rummaging through her purse.  JaeKyung’s idea of a reception means something extravagant.  How’s my make up?”  She asked, though she was already looking in the mirror.

 - “Your eyes look a little tired, Mama, but the rest of you is beautiful.”  Isabel smiled at her Mother.  Her Mama was always beautiful and stylish, rarely was she ever without makeup.

 - “She’s not just beautiful, she’s hot!  My Jagiya still has it.”

 - “Jae...stop…”  Abigail loved when her husband said she was beautiful and she tried to keep her figure, take care of her skin, wear makeup and fix her hair the way he liked it.  When he wasn’t around she threw it in a bun out of her face but she didn’t mind.   If she had to dress and look her best for the office, why shouldn’t she for husband.  He was a handsome man and she knew women still tried to flirt with him but he never gave them an opening.  She had complete trust in his fidelity.

 - “Mama is blushing,” Isabel said.

 - “It’s dark...you can’t see a thing.”

 - “Ah!!!  Mama didn’t deny it!”

 - “Yah!”  After seventeen years of being married to a Korean, some of his expressions had rubbed off on her.

JaeJoong blew her a kiss and leaned back against the seat again, he knew his wife loved every minute of his praises.  “Appa and Umma kyopta!”  Isabel kissed each parent on the cheek.  “Bogoshipatsoyo.”  She leaned her head against her Mother and took out her phone.  “Say Kimchi, Mama!”  Abigail leaned against her daughter’s head and smiled.  “Appa’s turn!”  Posting the pictures online, she leaned against her mother wondering when it would be her turn to be lucky in love.

HaNa and her friends had been holed up in her room since after dinner.  Most of her closet had been tossed onto the bed, requiring Zoe, the incompetent maid to assist in the cleanup.  HaEun helped HaNa style her hair in a typical red carpet messy side bun, while JeongHee did her makeup.  The result was stunning.  “Omo!  Unnie!!!”  HaEun was left speechless.

 - “Wae?!  JeongHee-ah, remember that I trust you.  Let me see a mirror.”

 - “Anieyo!  Palli-palli!!”  JeongHee was smiling at her masterpiece “Get dressed.  HaEun-ah, call InSo.  He needs to see Unnie before anyone else.”

 - “Deh!”  With her phone’s two-way radio feature, she called him“Oppa, palli!  Come to Unnie’s room.  We’re done.”

InSo too was done preening.  His Abeoji and Halmoni taught him to always be prepared for anything.  Thankfully, he brought his black suit since according to HaJun he needed to dress up for that jerk JaeWook.  Well, not that he really was a jerk but just in case he and his Noona didn’t work out.  He didn’t want to get along with him now.  “HaJun-ah, I’ll be back, I just need to see what the yeoja want.”

 - “Aww, hyeong, the Kim’s will be here any minute and I don’t know when we’ll have a chance to play again.”

 - “We’ll play again, tomorrow.  The yeoja are my chingu too, I should go see what they need.  You know they can’t make any decisions without me.”  InSo winked at his little friend.

 - “Arraseo, HaJun sulked.

InSo left the boy’s room and headed for HaNa’s door.  It was unique just like her.  Any preservationist would cringe at the black painted pine bistro doors but they suited her perfectly.  “Noona, I’m coming in!”  Not that his friend wasn’t pretty or dressed lamely and unstylish; it was usually more eclectic.  She mixed patterns with florals or plaids wore different hats, long flowing skirts or sometimes pencil skirts with puff sleeves and converse.  It all worked for her.  She had an eye for coordinating styles and colors that normal people didn’t see, making her perfect for fashion design.  InSo inadvertently froze with mouth slightly open.  This was the most normal look he’d seen on his friend since they were babies.  The long maxi dress with black tank and long multi-patterned and multi-colored skirt accentuated her slender figure nicely and her black Roman sandals finished off the look.

HaNa grinned, “I must look okay, we’ve left InSo speechless.”

 - “InSo-ah, you’re going to catch flies with your mouth open like that.”  JeongHee teased.

 - “Choah?”  HaNa twirled around for her friend’s inspection.

 - “Deh!!  Yippeuyo!  Noona should dress like that more often!”  Every now and then his best friend’s would open his eyes to see how pretty they really were.  He never considered them “not” pretty; his schoolmates could testify to that as they were always pestering him to put in a good word.  InSo never did.  None of his guy friends were worthy of JeongHee, HaNa, and his princess.  Their friendship was a comfortable one, like his favorite blanket.  If his blanket were ever replaced with a new one, he’d of course notice.  It was the same when his friend’s dressed in a different style or changed their hair or makeup.  He always noticed.  “JaeWook Hyeong better appreciate you.”

 - “Gomawo, InSo-ah.”  HaNa gave her friend a quick kiss on the cheek.  “Don’t worry, InSo.  He will...or else...” She quickly lifted her knee and he down blocked her strike before it came into contact with any sensitive flesh.

InSo tskdNoona needs to be more subtle with a knee strike.”

 - “Ara, it’s not like I was really going to hit you, anyway.”

 - “Unnie will have him drawn and quartered,” JeongHee said.

 - “HaNa’s Abeoji will see to that,” InSo shuddered, picturing a very angry WooBin slowly killing the guy who dared hurt his daughter.

 - “Anieyo!  JaeWook Oppa wouldn’t dare do anything to hurt Unnie.”  HaEun didn’t know JaeWook that well, but his parents were very nice and so was his sister, so he had to be nice too.

 - “Miss HaNa!!”  Zoe knocked on the door.  “Ma’am says your guests have arrived!”

 - “Deh!”  HaNa shouted back.  “Omo!!  You don’t think Appa will kill him when we tell him, do you?  Umma didn’t say I couldn’t date, just not to settle for second best.”

 - “I’ll pray for ajussi’s peace and that JaeWook-ssi will make a good impression on him.”

 - “Deh!  Nado!”

 - “I’ll pray Ajussi doesn’t kill him, first.”

 - “InSo-ah!”  HaNa punched her friend.

The Kim’s were told by Nicolas to drop their belongings and come to the main house.  He had placed the luggage in each appropriate room and Zoe had come over to help put everything away.  A few of the Song’s neighbor’s had come over to greet the esteemed guests and for food and drink.  The songs knew well how to throw a party, even if it was just a small reception in the middle of the night.

JaeWook spritzed his cologne into the air and walked under it.  He’d carefully done his hair on the plane and checked in the mirror if it was still holding.

 - “Palli!”  JaeJoong wrapped his arms around his wife’s back as she fixed her makeup.  He kissed her cheek while she paused to glare at him.  “The sooner we go down and pay our respects to our hosts, the sooner I’ll have you all to myself.”  He leaned his forehead against hers, giving her generous behind a quick squeeze.

 - “Jae!!”  She would have slapped his arm but he moved quickly to the door.

 - “Palli palli!”  He winked at her from the safety of the door.  Walking into the living room, his youngest immediately sprung at him like a flying squirrel

 - “Appa!!  Kajayo!!  Kajayo!”

Catching her in his arms, he gave her a noisy kiss.  “Taking after your Unnie, hmm?  She was my little squirrel once, too.  Still is, in fact?”

 - “Appa, is talking about me?  I heard Appa say Unnie?”

 - “Deh,” he walked over to his oldest.  “Take your squirrely dongsaeng, while I grab your Umma, again,” he sighed.  There were times his wife took forever to get ready and other times she was rushing him out the door.  Inevitably they usually never left on time.

JaeWook had come out of the bedroom only to be stopped by his reflection in the hallway mirror instead of greeting his Father and Sister.  Isabel and JaeIn looked at each other and grinned, while JaeJoong shook his head.  He couldn’t say much as he was the same as a teen and only slightly better now.  “Dongsaeng-ah!!”  Isabel couldn’t resist teasing her little brother.  It had been too long.  Yippuen!  Hajiman, we just got here, you can’t have a date already?”

 - “Ah...well...just in case!  Yeah!  So, we should go, right?”

 - “Adul…?”

 - “I’m ready!”  Abigail had come out of the room in her strappy heeled sandals and black wide-legged capri’s, a silver cap-sleeved blouse and long string of pearls hung down her neck and chest.  JaeJoong, distracted from his thought, swept her body with his eyes (as usual), from top to bottom.  Landing back eye level, her narrowed eyes met his (also as usual).

 - “Kaja,” grinning he whispered in her ear.  “Let’s hurry back so I can molest that delicious bottom of yours.”

 - “Kim JaeJoong!”  Abigail shoved him away.  Her husband only laughed.

JaeWook was already outside the door and turned to glare at his parents.  “Mama, Abeoji!  Can you two act lovey-dovey on your own time?”

The lovey-dovey parents looked at each other and then glared at their son.   “What did you say?  Should I get my chancla (flip-flop)?”

JaeWook’s eyes widened in fear “A-a-animnida, eommoni!  I-I-was just thinking it’s late and-and…” he walked slowly backwards, hands shielding his just in case his Mama decided to get her flip-flop.  “...well...the Songs laid out food and invited their neighbors...right?”

 - “Maja…”  Jaejoong answered.  “Hajiman adul has been acting strange since we arrived.”

 - “Anieyo Abeoji...Hyeong is always like this,” JaeHyeong jumped in to save his older brother.

 - “I owe you one,” JaeWook’s eyes said to his brother.

 - “I know…” JaeHyeong grinned back.

 - “Dongsaeng-ah!  Stop causing trouble and me to the main house,” Isabel took her little brother’s arm in hers.

 - “Arraseo, shorty Noona,” JaeWook teased.  He was a few inches taller than her and loved to throw it in her face.

 - “So what?  Better short than ugly!”

 - “I’m JaeWook Kim, I’m not ugly.  Noona must be thinking of herself.”

 - “I’m Isabel Kim...your Noona...if you haven’t forgotten.  I have chancla’s too.”

 - “Noona wouldn’t want to chip a nail beating me with her chancla,” he smiled charmingly at her “I wouldn’t want my pretty Noona to get her white blouse dirty.”  He winked at her before giving her cheek a quick kiss.  “Catch me!”  He ran off laughing and Isabel after him.

 - “How old are those two again?”  Abigail asked.

 - “I think it’s great.”  Whenever the kids were rambunctious together, JaeJoong didn’t really mind.  He loved the sound of their laughter and the way they interacted with each other.  It was what he didn’t have in his childhood and was blessed that his children could have it in theirs.

 - “Wait for us!”  JaeHyeong shouted and ran after them, jumping onto JaeWook’s back.

 - “Yah!  Get off!  You’re going to mess up my hair!”

 - “Hyeong is yippeun!  Going on a marriage date are you?”

 - “Shut up!”

 - “Ahhh!!  Oppa said a bad word!”  JaeIn had been pulled along by JaeWon.

 - “So, that’s it?!”  Isabel joined JaeHyeon’s teasing.

 - “Are you going to get off?”  JaeWook complained again.

 - “Anieyo!”

 - “What about me?”  JaeIn complained.

 - “Hop on,” JaeWon said, resigned.

 - “Yay!”  JaeIn didn’t need to be told twice.

 - “Jae, we don’t have kids, we have monkeys.”  Abigail shook her head at the crazy display in front of them.

 - “Gwenchana...jagiya, let them be kids.”

 - “I know…”  She’d had to grow up so fast, she forgot what it was to be a kid and be silly.  Thankfully, her husband was always there to remind her.

 - “Ajussi!!”  Isabel waved, seeing WooBin walk up toward them.

 - “Hey, kiddo!”  WooBin affectionately tapped her arm with his fist.

 - “Ouuuuwie!  That hurt!!”  Isabel exaggerated like she always did.  It was their game when they had lived in New York.

 - “I’m pretending that’s your boyfriends face,” he winked at her.

 - “Ajussi!!”  Isabel groaned at his teasing.

 - “I see the fate of HaNa’s future boyfriend,” JaeJoong said, giving a quick glance at his son, who looked a little less eager.

WooBin also gave the oldest Kim boy a surreptitious glare but smiling at his parents, extended his hand to JaeJoongJaeJoong, Abi-ssi?  I was held up at the club; sorry for not being here when you arrived.”

 - “All good, man.”  JaeJoong and WooBin bumped fists.  And he strong armed Abigail into a hug.  “Like Mother, like daughter,” he said.  JaeJoong beating anyone that even glances your way?”

 - “Nah...I just keep her locked up at the office all day,” JaeJoong tightened his arm around her, bringing her closer to kiss her cheek.

 - “Very funny, WooBin, please don’t encourage him?  Where’s JaeKyung Unnie?”

 - “We’re a little late, so I’m sure anae is already playing hostess,”

 - “Come on, we’re dying to introduce you to our neighbors.”

Abigail couldn’t believe they’d planned a welcoming party in the middle of the night.  “Don’t your neighbors need to work tomorrow?”

WooBin shrugged.  “Yo, it’s still early.”

 - “I thought New York was bad,” she mumbled.

 

 

 - “It’s about time!!”  JaeKyung clung to her husband's neck, welcoming him in with a kiss.  Releasing her hold on him, she grabbed Abigail and kissed her cheek.  “I’m so glad you’re here!”

 - “It’s so nice to see you too!”  Abigail returned the hug and kiss.  JaeKyung had been her constant solace while she was pregnant with JaeWook and hormones and Isabel were making her crazy.  “Wow!  You didn’t need to do all this.”  Abigail glanced around.  “And your home is beautiful!”

 - “Yes, it’s been a nice home away from home.  You still keeping this guy in check?”  She grabbed JaeJoong’s arm and pulled him into a hug.

 - “Aww...and here I thought JaeKyung forgot all about me.”

 - “As if…”  JaeKyung released him with a teasing twinkle in her eye.  “Namja!”  She turned to the boys.  “Wauuu!  So handsome!  And my Isabel and JaeIn get more beautiful each day!  Isabel must be breaking hearts right and left.”

 - “Anihya, Imo!  I’m too busy studying!”

 - “We girls will have some fun, tomorrow.  Right now I need to introduce you but where are HaNa and the kids?”  Her son and HaJin were just coming down the stairs and rushing toward them.

 - “Yo, bro!”  Song HaJun greeted Kim JamWon.

 - “Yah...seriously?  Who talks like that?”  JaeWon looked at the younger kid, oddly.

JaeWook, knowing their uncle WooBin’s gangster speech a little better, knocked his brother in the back of the head.  “Plenty of people.”  He used this opportunity to sweep the room and its crevices for his beautiful girlfriend.

 - “Oh, there they are!”  JaeKyung caught movement on the stairs.  Seeing their eldest and her friends.  “HaNa was given a surprise earlier.”

JaeWook tried not to gawk but his girlfriend was a welcome sight.  The multi-colored skirt of her maxi dress really emphasized the solid black tank top; between the tank and the messy side bun, her slender neck was exposed and he wanted nothing more than to kiss her there.  HaNa smiled, seeing her boyfriend a few yards from her, appreciating her outfit.

 -  “Hey?!  What are you guys doing here?”  Abigail walked up to each of the kids, giving them hugs.  “Oooh!  I like your Maxi dress, HaNa.”  Abigail was actually surprised, the teen girl usually dressed more extravagantly.

 - “Thank you, Imo.  My friends decided to surprise me before summer break was over.  Isn’t that amazing?”

 - “What’s amazing is that their parents actually allowed them to travel alone.  Especially HaEun-ah, Na wouldn’t think Jihoo and your Umma would allow it.”  Jaejoong said.

 - “Didn’t give them much choice,” WooBin commented.  “Had to help my man, InSo, here,” he fist bumped the kid and threw his arm around InSo’s neck.

 - “Well, you kids all know each other, so I’m going to introduce your parents to our neighbors,” JaeKyung announced.

 - “Oh, HaNa-yah, stay in the house.  Our security are all stationed on the perimeter of the property.”  JaeKyung overheard her husband and threw him a curious look to which he responded “Just making sure all our guests are safe.”  She nodded in understanding.  Their neighborhood was the best in Athens but she supposed WooBin, being a well-known owner of two of the most exclusive clubs in Athens, couldn’t be too careful.  A disgruntled and psychologically imbalanced patron could find out where they live and decide to attack.

 - “Come on, guys.  You too Isabel,” JaeKyung directed them to the sitting area behind a black marble wall, where a few couples and a young man talked amongst themselves.

WooBin eyed JaeWook, whose eyes had not stopped following his daughter. With a shrewd mind from years of his Father’s tutelage, he prepared for any scenario, having placed security on the interior of the property as well as on the outside.  In case JaeWook had ulterior motives, security would quickly alert him.

 - “Let’s go get food!”  HaNa glanced at her retreating parents and dragged JaeWook by the hand.  Not caring about her siblings or JaeWook’s, once safely behind the wall, HaNa shoved him up against the wall and launched herself into his arms“I missed you!”  She squeezed his waist with all her might (she was a very strong girl).

 - “Jagi...I can’t breathe.”  JaeWook brought his hand up, gently caressing the back of her head“Jagi, seriously, you need to relax.”

 - “I’m sorry…,” she pouted.

 - “Gahh...don’t pout.  I want to kiss you,” he whispered in her ear and then kissed her pink cheek.  Meanwhile their younger siblings were gawking at them.  HaEun, InSo, and JeongHee pressed into action clearing the awkward air.  “HaJin-ah…  JeongHee and HaEun blocked her view of her sister with JaeIn’s brother.  “Your skirt is daeback, isn’t it JaeIn?”  The girl wore a black circle skirt embossed with black polka dots.

 - “Kansamnida, Unnie, HaNa Unnie made it for me.”

JaeIn was a bit in shock, staring at her brother, so HaEun distracted her. “Your dress is very pretty, too.  I love pastels.” The younger girl’s dress was a strapless ruffled top and high-low skirt that was mid-thigh in front and came below her ankles in the back.

 - “Yippeun,” JaeWook lifted his girlfriend’s face with one hand and his other hand busied itself twirled the escaping tendrils of her hairdo in his fingers.  “Bogoshipo,” he bent his head to place a soft kiss on her lips.  Probably not the best thing to do amongst their siblings but he couldn’t help it.  If God made anything more beautiful than you, I'm sure he'd keep it for himself.”  Only his cheesy lines rendered Hana Song, speechless.

 - “Wookieeee…” she buried her flushed face in his chest.  It fit perfectly, there, as if it were just waiting for her all this time.

 - “So, what looks good?”  InSo, was usually hungry, so he distracted the younger boys.

 - “Hyeong...why is JaeWook Hyeong, kissing Noona?”  Ten-year-old HaJun grimaced in disgust.  Their parents had to kiss because well...they were parents but his sister… “Mollah!”

 - “Don’t worry about it,” JaeHyeong answered“They’ll get tired of locking lips eventually.”  He had heard that expression somewhere and thinking it was funny used it whenever he had a chance.

 - “That sounds like it hurts!”  HaJun was appalled.

 - “Unnie doesn’t look like she’s in any pain,” HaJin giggled “JaeWook Oppa, what about you?”

 - “Nope, neither does Oppa,” JaeIn answered for her brother.

That did it; the lovey-dovey moment of their long-awaited reunion was broken.  HaNa buried her laughter in JaeWook’s chest while he lowered his lips, grinning into her hair.  Composing himself first, JaeWook lifted his girlfriend’s face and placed a gentle kiss to her forehead “Jagi, our audience is getting bored.  Show me what’s good to eat, deh?”

 - “Guerae!”  She took his hand, leading him to some of the chafing dishes.  “Anything with cheese,” she took a small plate and piled it with baked feta, Spanakopita, Tiropetes, and Prawn Saganaki.  “Stay away from the Hummus if you want me to kiss you later.”

 - “Got it!  No Hummus for me, that goes for you too, JaeWook couldn’t resist covering her smiling lips with his.  His brother groaned.

 - “Alright already.  Good grief, we get it!  You two are making the younger kids sick,” JaeHyeong grumbled.

 - “JaeHyeong Oppa is just jealous he doesn’t have a girlfriend,” JaeIn teased.

 - “Exactly!  HaNa Noona, can you set me up with a nice Greek girl?”

HaNa laughed at JaeWook’s brother. Anieyo, you’ll just break her heart when you leave.”

 - “Wae does Hyeong get to have all the fun.”

 - “He won’t be having fun when Appa finds out,” HaJin pointed out.

 - “HaJin-ah, HaJun-ah, you two can’t breathe a word about this to Appa.  If he finds out before we can tell him, you’re dead meet!  You know I mean it.”  HaNa glared menacingly at her younger siblings.

 - “Unnie, na won’t say anything!  Chincha!”  HaJin knew her older sister could seriously hurt her if she wanted too.  “HaJun-ah...not a word to Appa about JaeWook Oppa, deh?”  Knowing his sister could easily make him “dead meat”, HaJun nodded in agreement.

WooBin was the Song family’s heir for a reason, he almost had a sixth sense for oncoming trouble and currently, his ear itched as if someone were talking about him.  His natural inclination made him stare at the wall behind him as if he had x-ray vision“Yeobo!”  His wife’s voice broke his focus on the wall and what could possibly be happening behind it.  Dimitris just arrived.  He says he can’t stay too long as he’s exhausted from work.”

 - “Hey bro, glad you came,” WooBin and Dimitris exchanged the usual male ritualistic handshake and slap on the back.

 - “Mitera and Pateras are traveling; they asked me to convey their apologies for being unable to come.”

 - “Well, thank you for coming in their place,” JaeKyung said“The kids are all by the food but other than them, there aren’t any of your friends, here.”

 - “No worries, Mrs...ah...JaeKyung,” Dimitris remembered not to call her Mrs. Song.  She said it made her feel old and to just call her JaeKyung.  They had only invited their immediate neighbors but as usual, word got around and they now had double the guests “I see Kirsten with her Pateras; I wonder where her husband is?”

 - “He’s away on another business trip,” JaeKyung shook her head, sadly.  Everyone knew the man had a string of mistresses.  JaeKyung was grateful WooBin had saved her from that kind of life.  Flashing her husband a loving smile, she took his arm.

 - “Yo man, please, have a beer and some food before the kids eat it all.”

 - “Let me introduce you to our friends,” JaeKyung suddenly remembered the purpose of this gathering.  “Leave it to Doctor’s to find each other,” their neighbors boasted of many impressive titles.  WooBin shook his head in mock annoyance.  “Andres, Callidora, you can have JaeJoong back after we introduce him and Abigail to Demitris, here.”

 - “Dr. JaeJoong, young Dimitris is also on his way to being a prominent Doctor.  He makes his Father and Grandfather proud.”

Jaejoong extended his hand to the younger man.  “Jaejoong Kim, nice to meet you.  This is my wife, Abigail, and the rest of my family I believe is on the other side of the wall, enjoying themselves without us.”

 - “Dimitris Angelopoulos, it’s a pleasure to meet you and your wife.  So, did I infer correctly?  You or your wife are also a physician?”

 - “My husband is,” Abigail smiled proudly at JaeJoong.

 - “Immunology,” Jaejoong stated.  “What about you?”

 - “Cardiology - pediatrics.”

JaeJoong nodded in reply.  Just then, Isabel crossed JaeKyung’s line of vision.  She had that glossy, lost look in her eyes“Poor thing is bored out of her mind,” she thought.  It was true, Abigail had made small talk with a few people and not that they weren’t kind but apart from where she went to school and what she studied, there wasn’t much more to talk about.  She could care less about business and the weather only went so far, so she decided to join the kids.  They had to be more entertaining than these people were.  “Isabel-ah, eeliwah!”  JaeKyung grabbed the surprised girl.

 - “Imo!”  Isabel laughed, Imo didn’t have to drag me.”  Coming to stand in front of her parents and another one of the neighbors, Isabel went to stand next to her Appa.  If the conversation began to make her eyes close, she could pretend illness in front of him.

 - “I didn’t drag you.  Besides, you would have walked right past us without meeting Dimitris.”

 - “Dimitris, this is our daughter, Isabel.  She’s in her fourth year at Shinhwa Medical College in South Korea.”

Dimitris shook Isabel’s hand, intrigued. “Really?  And you’re American?”

JaeJoong proudly wrapped his arm around Isabel “She’s at my old alma mater.  I didn’t go through their medical program as I had moved to the states but in the end, she chose her best friend over me.”

 - “A-ppa…”  Isabel grumbled; embarrassed that her Appa had put her on the spot.  She was still relatively shy around strangers.

JaeKyung had already drifted off, dragging Abigail with her.  WooBin saw another of his neighbors and wanted to introduce JaeJoong“Dimitris, excuse us, I want to introduce JaeJoong to Mr. Petraccas.  Isabel-ah, keep Dimitris company for a few, deh?  Dimitris, don’t worry, once she warms up to you, she’ll talk your ear off.”  WooBin winked at her and dragged JaeJoong off.

 - “Ajussi!”  Isabel yelled after him “Ugh...why are they trying to embarrass me today?”  She hid her face behind her hands for a few seconds, composing herself.

 - “Why don’t I get us some drinks,” Dimitris laughed.  She was a cute girl, he thought; large brown eyes and a sweet face framed by her dark hair while her body wasn’t thin but had just the right amount of curve in it.  Yes, she was quite appealing; he thought it would be a shame to leave so early “I can’t leave you to be bored all alone.”

 - “Is it obvious?”  Isabel felt bad but she had nothing in common with these ajussi’s and she could usually jump into a conversation with just about anybody.

 - “Just a bit.  That’s okay, I’d be bored too.”

Rounding the wall with Dimitris, the first thing Isabel saw was JaeWook leaning in to give HaNa a kiss and HaNa’s eyes smile as she kissed him back.  She didn’t see HaNa had just popped an olive into his mouth “JaeWook?!”  Isabel called out, quietly but firmly and looking back to make sure her Uncle WooBin was nowhere around.

 - “Noona?!”

 - “Unnie!”  HaNa practically toppled the chair, startled.

Both JaeWook and HaNa stood guiltily.

 - “It’s not what you think!”  He knew his sister would think he was just flirting with HaNa.

 - “Then what is it?”

 - “Unnie, Dimitris Oppa, please don’t tell on us?”  HaNa pleaded.

Dimitris sighed, staring at the pleading eyes of the teen in front of him.  Wasn’t she still the kid whom would come to him to patch her skinned knees when she played too rough with the boys?  When did this little tom boy become a young woman with a boyfriend?  “Your brother, I take it?”  He turned to Isabel.

 - “He’s going to be a dead brother once Uncle WooBin gets his hands on him - and our Mother.”

 - “Unnieeee!!!”  HaNa rubbed her hands pleadingly in front of Isabel and Dimitris.  “We’re going to ask permission, I swear!”

 - “You don’t need to swear,” Isabel shook her head.  Uncle WooBin is not going to like this.  You’re too young to date.”

 - “All my school friends are dating!”

 - “If your school friends jumped off a building would you?”  Isabel covered shocked at what had just come out of it.  “Omo!  Omo!  Omo!  I’m turning into Mama?!”  She said horrified, while Dimitris laughed at the comical look on her face.

 - “It happens to the best of us,” he gave her shoulder a friendly pat“It will pass.”

 - “Noona, relax.  It’s not like they’re doing anything wrong,” JaeHyeon defended his brother.

 - “I think that’s a matter of interpretation,” Dimitris raised an eyebrow at them.  “What if Mr. Song had walked in.  Do you still claim they weren’t doing anything wrong?”

 - “Umma said I could date,” HaNa responded bravely.

 - “Did she?”  JaeWook asked, beside her.

 - “Well...not exactly,” HaNa twirled a strand of hair with her finger.  “But she didn’t say I couldn’t!”  Castia had come into the dining area for a tray of food, making HaNa jump before realizing it was only their housekeeper.  “Oh, Castia!  You scared me.”

 - “Well, I didn’t know I was so frightening.  However, I do think Miss HaNa and the rest of you look a little guilty.  What’s up?”

 - “Amogotdoyo!”  HaNa blurted.

 - “Nothing’s going on Castia,” HaJin said.

 - “Noona was…” HaJun didn’t get to finish his statement as InSo flicked the back of his head “Hyeong?!  You hit me!”

 - “Mwo?  Anieya!”  InSo denied it.

Castia shook her head.  “Whatever you kids are up to, don’t let Mr. Song catch you.

 - “Deh!”  HaNa rounded on her little brother“What did I tell you about being dead meat…?”