- 3 -

Love’s Long Journey

Jihoo and Ilana stepped away from the fray of well-wishers, surrounding their daughter, to take a deep breath.  He tightly wrapped his arms around his wife and she buried her head in his wonderful and calming scent.  “Gwenchana?”  He asked.

 - “Oh...what about Sarang?”

 - “Deh…”  He leaned his face down to rest his cheek on top of her head.  “HaYi is never allowed to have one of these ceremonies.”

Ilana laughed, “I doubt she’ll want one but who knows what will happen in eight years.”  Inhaling and then exhaling, she looked up at her husband.  “If she does, I promise I won’t lose it, like I did today.”

 - “Gwenchana, Sarang is perfect the way she is.”  He felt her smile against him and cupping her face, he tilted it upward, connecting their lips together.  Yippeun,” he leaned his forehead against hers, caressing her cheek and running his hand through her hair.  Not needing to compete with her daughter, Ilana’s dress was a simple sleeveless salmon all-over-lace pink A-line dress adorned with a thin gold belt and her hair half up just the way Jihoo liked it.  Generally, she didn’t care for pink but the boys and HaEun liked her in it.  HaLee would have her wear bright jewel tones and Jihoo liked her in neutral colors.

 - “Sarang, we still have a reception to host.”  As much as she didn’t want to leave their little sanctuary, someone was bound to miss them soon.

 - “Deh,” he sighed“Let’s just stay here for another minute.”

 

 - “Wau!!  That was soooo beautiful!!!”  HaNa practically shouted as the Honor Court was being herded toward the Victorian Limo for pictures.  HaEun-ah….you’re so lucky to have a ceremony like that.  It’s like you were a real princess!”  HaNa had never witnessed anything like it and was completely enamored wishing to turn back time, to her fifteenth birthday last November, just to have an event like HaEun’s.

 - “Unnie, it was so embarrassing!  I wanted to vanish into thin air a few times.”

 - “Our gongju wouldn’t run out on her family and friends,” InSo said.

 - “Oppa….you’re used to being the center of attention.  JunPyo Ajussi takes you to all his important board meetings.”

 - “It’s important for the board to get used to the Shinhwa heir.”

 - “Dude, cut the crap,” JaeWook said“We’re still in High School and your dad is still young.  You’ll be married off with a few kids before you’re taking over Shinhwa.”

 - “Yah, what do you know...your Abeoji is a Doctor.”

 - “So what?  Noona is already following in dad’s footsteps; I’m free to follow Harabeoji.”

HaNa, JeongHee, and HaEun all looked at each other and groaned.  Why the boys had to try to one-up each other was beyond their understanding.

 - “Well, I’m going to follow my dad and be an idol,” Matteo Martin spoke up.

This adolescent male ritual was annoying even to HaNeul and he couldn’t keep quiet.  “In that case, you’re late.  Tío Enrique made his debut when he was twelve.”

 - “Hey...we’re older than you, so don’t talk,” Valentino defended his twin.

 - “I was stating a fact; there’s no need to overreact.  If Matteo wants to follow in Uncle Enrique’s footsteps, he should be entering competitions – either amateur or reality, auditioning for everything and anything, uploading videos on social media, shouldn’t your dad have already hired you an agent and started marketing you?”

 - “Why do you always think you know it all?”  Matteo took a step toward HaNeul.

 - “Ladies and Gentleman!”  YiHyun stopped the bickering.  “You all have plenty of time to dream and follow your own paths but right now, we need to take pictures.”

 - “Deh, Ajumma!”  The kids answered.

 - “I want all the boys to hang out of the carriage in some way toward their partner.  We can use both sides of the Limo and use the drone to take the shot from above.  HaEun-ah, I want you in the driver’s seat and InSo on the ground, reaching for your hand.”

 - “Imo...this is silly!”  HaEun protested as InSo was already dragging her to the driver’s seat.

 - “It’s either that or we can unhitch the carriage so HaEun can sit on the horse.”

 - “Shiroyo…”  The only riding HaEun liked to do was safely from within the carriage or driving the carriage.

 - “Gongju, kaja,” InSo was carefully dragging his friend to the carriage driver seat.  Still wearing flats, HaEun had to hold her dress so it wouldn’t drag on the ground.

 - “Hana…dol…set!”  HyungJun shouted as he positioned the drone where he wanted it.

 - “Perfect!”  YiHyun shouted.  They took a few more shots of all the boys and girls together.  For the last shot, let’s go to the tree swing.”

 - “Imo...my dress!”  HaEun protested.  Once a princess, always a princess.  She didn’t want to soil the hem with dirt.

 - “Gwenchana, the cement was steam cleaned for that reason and in the dirt just hold up your skirt and InSo will make sure you don’t stumble.”

 - “Agassi, kajayo?”  InSo playfully bowed in front of HaEun.

 - “Oppa, hajima!”  InSo never failed to make HaEun laugh.

After a few Peek-a-Boo shots where HaEun stood in front of a tree and everyone else peeking out from behind it, YiHyun told HaEun to go sit on the swing.  InSo-ah, steady the swing for HaEun, juseyo.”

 - “Deh, Ajumma…,” InSo did as he was told.

 - “What?  He thinks he’s her servant or something?”  Matteo muttered.

HaNeul gave him a sharp glance, the twins were usually fun to be around but today one of them seemed to be in a bad mood.

 - “What?!”  Matteo snapped.

Not caring that Matteo was three years older than him, he spoke directly.  “Will you please leave your bad mood somewhere else?”  HaNeul made sure his voice was low enough that his sister didn’t overhear; thankfully, she was being distracted by InSo, HaNa, and JeongHee.  “I don’t want my sister’s day to be ruined by your bad attitude.”

 - “Who says I’ll ruin her day?”

 - “I’m just saying, leave your bad attitude somewhere else.  If you annoy her, you’ll have to deal with me, got it?”

KyuHa noticed his older brother’s annoyed stance and decided to investigate.  “HaNeul - everything alright?”

Likewise, Valentino came alongside his brother.  “HaNeul, are you trying to start a fight?”

 - “I wouldn’t do something as idiotic as to start a fight at my sister’s party with our entire family here.  And if you plan on acting up, I’ll remind you that I’m a Taekwondo black belt and will have no problem defending myself.”  HaNeul turned to walk back toward his sister.

KyuHa took a step forward, covering his brother’s retreating back.  He didn’t think the twins would start anything but decided to be ready, just in case.  Any mischief was prevented by HyungJun’s bellow.  Namja, what are you all standing around for.  We just need one more picture.”

 - “Come on, my sister is embarrassed enough with all the attention.  I don’t know why you’re angry at all of us today but don’t let HaEun see you like this and make her worry on her special day.”

 - “Namja…”  HyungJun came up to the three.  He and JungMin were the Kings of mischief and knew the “give-me-an-excuse-to-punch-you” look very well.  The boys stood rigidly with fists clenching and unclenching, their eyes didn’t blink and their lips were thin and tight.  Mollah what’s going on here but if your Imo YiHyun has to come get you, it won’t be pretty.”

 - “Yes, Uncle,” KyuHa answered and having said what he needed to say, turned his back on the other two.

Matteo let out his breath.  He didn’t know what was wrong with him today.  You okay?” His brother, asked.  “What was that all about?”

 - “Yeah, just never mind,” Matteo stepped forward and followed HyungJun and KyuHa.

 - “Namja!  Why are you hanging around?  The sooner we get these pictures done, the sooner we all eat.”  YiHyun rested a hand on the tripod and the other at her hip.

 - “Na would advise you boys not to upset Anae while she’s working.  No one will be dismissed if she doesn’t get the pictures HaEun’s parents are paying for.”

 - “Ajussi, Abeoji would never allow that!”  InSo, said.

 - “InSo-ah is a natural model and knows how to get the job done,” YiHyun flattered the boy.  “And I’m a professional that doesn’t stop until the photoshoot is perfect.  That said...if InSo was acting up, his Umma would make sure he stayed until he completed his work.”  Laughter erupted from the boys, knowing that Dr. JanDi was no nonsense with her sons.  She was making sure they didn’t follow their Father’s early footsteps.  “Kim (Garcia) JaeWook, Kim (Garcia) JaeHyeon, and Park KangMin think their Umma-deul would not be here pulling their ears if they were misbehaving?”

The three that had been laughing the loudest, quieted down.  HaNeul and KyuHa looked at each other and grinned.  When they misbehaved, it was their Father who disciplined them first and then they got the “disappointed” lecture from their Mother afterward.  Princess HaEun was the one that never got in trouble with their dad.  She only ever got in trouble with their Mother for fighting with their younger sister.  Valentino and Matteo didn’t have a Mother but their dad would definitely scold them for goofing around when they were supposed to be serious.  Now that I have everyone’s attention,” YiHyun resumed the order of business.  Namja, stand around our gongju...InSo, stand right here, just in front of her.  HaNeul & KyuHa just behind her, the rest of you stand to her sides.”  YiHyun grabbed boys by their shoulders, maneuvering them like chess pieces if they didn’t move quick enough for her liking.  At 5’10 in wedge platform heels, she was just as tall as them and with her authoritative demeanor the boys were in position before they could protest.  “Tan tan!”  YiHyun happily surveyed the scene while HyungJun was readying the camera behind her“Namja, I want to you to blow kisses at HaEun…”

 - “Imo?!!”

 - “Ajumma?!”  HaEun and the boys protested.

 - “HaNeul and KyuHa, I want you two looking angry at the boys trying to win your sister’s heart.”  YiHyun continued, ignoring the protests.

 - “Deh, Imo!”  HaNeul answered while grinning at his brother.  That would not be a difficult task.

 - “InSo-ah, nae chingu, you are her personal so show her lots of love.”

 - “Deh, Ajumma!”  InSo readily got down on one knee before HaEun.

 - “Oppa!”  HaEun was already blushing.

 - “Hana...dol...Set!”  HyungJun counted before snapping a series of shots.  “Arraso...cut!”  He threw his head back and laughed.  The boys had played their role out to perfection.  That was daeback!”  He thought not all of them were merely playing a part.  The smile on one of the boys was very bright and eager and another who was supposed to be playing one of the suitors was actually looking like the overprotective brothers“Everyone should be seated and waiting for HaEun and her court.  Kaja, gongju, your Grand Entrance is next.”

 - “Ajussi...can’t we just sit down?”  HaEun was done with being in the spotlight.  Even though she knew there was still more to come, she was hoping to avoid the grand entrance.”

 - “Yah!  Don’t cheat the rest of us out of our ten minutes of fame!”

 - “Deh, HaNa Unnie…” HaEun shook her head at her friend’s silliness.

 - “Deh...Neaga first in line to win the Princess’s heart today,InSo winked at her, laughing.

 - “O-ppa!!  Stop teasing!”

 - “InSo thinks he’s the only eligible Prince,” JaeWook whispered to his younger brother, JaeHyeon, while pointedly looking toward one of the twins.  Matteo was wearing a notable frown on his face.

HyungJun noticed it too.  “Matteo, adul, cheer up.  You can eat as soon as you make your grand entrance.”

 - “The sooner we get over to the party, the sooner we can all eat!”  YiHyun began gently shooing boys and girls onto the path leading back to the pool area.

 - “Noona, eeliwah,” HaNeul extended his hand to his sister, cutting off InSo who was just about to do the same.

 - “Yah!  That’s my job!”  InSo pouted.  If he thought about it, he was more upset than he should be.

 - “HaNeul-ah, gomawo.”  HaEun lifted her skirt (not wanting it touch the ground more than necessary) walking up to InSo.  “Oppa, pabo; nae dongsaeng and nae Oppa are my two favorite people in the world.  Oppa, don’t be sad, you and I get to dance, later.”  HaEun always thought he was so adorable when he pouted and would sometimes just to hear him huff and watch his lower lip jet out just a little bit.  “Can Oppa make sure my dress doesn’t touch the floor, juseyo?”  Balling her fists to her face, she looked at him with wide pleading eyes.

 - “Aiiiish…deh, nae gongju.  HaEun-ah knows I can’t say no to her aegyo.”

InSo followed behind as HaEun giggled walking arm in arm with her brother.  HaNeul rolled his eyes next to her.  He just didn’t get the whole “aegyo” thing.

 - “InSo-ah, make sure she doesn’t trip!”  YiHyun shouted after them.  “Yeobo, don’t you think they’re playing their roles a little too well?  Overprotective brother, potential suitor, and even unrequited lover.”

 - “Omo-omo-omo!  Wait until you see Matteo’s face in that last pose.”

 - “Ooh, maybe we’ll have to edit that one before Uissa sees it.”

 - “Deh!  Our girls can be idols so that they’re never allowed to date.”

 - “Junnie-yah?!”  YiHyun laughed and stepped on to the path first.

DJ Mal was once again hired for the event; this time by the birthday girl herself.  Amongst her honorary uncles were a music producer, three veteran idols, a master potter, and not forgetting the business tycoon and successful nightclub owner, but to her they were just her uncles who never failed to make her smile.

 - “I’m DJ Mal, your MC for the evening.  On behalf of HaEun and her parents, I’d like to welcome you to her fifteenth birthday celebration.  I know you’ve made her very happy by being here to celebrate with her.  Ahem...especially me.”

 - “Ajussi!”  HaEun groaned to InSo as he laughed.

 - “First and foremost, I’d like to introduce our Quinceañera’s parents, Jihoo and Ilana, please stand for your guests!”  Reluctantly, Jihoo and Ilana stood and walked toward the head table and bowed for their guests.

 - “Almost seventeen years later that Mal is still tormenting us,” Ilana complained.

Jihoo chuckled and kissed her hand.  “Not quite as bad, Sarang.  At least, he’s not demanding we kiss in front of everyone.”

Ilana turned to see her husband’s face.  He could fool everyone else but she could always see that carefully hidden amusement in his eyes.  “Oh you…” they were in front of a hundred or more guests but Ilana didn’t care and gave him a few pokes to his side.  Laughing, he captured one hand and tucked it under his arm.

 - “Aww, aren’t they cute,” JungMin taunted once more before moving on to his next couple.  “Can I have HaEun’s Godparents stand and join Jihoo and Ilana?  Will everyone give our Hallyu star and super model, YoungSaeng and Mina Heo a big round of applause?”

 - “I knew I should have killed that horse when I first worked with him,” Mina told her husband as they bowed for the guests and joined Jihoo and Ilana.

 - “Yeah, but then who would have been HaEun’s MC.”

 - “HaEun has several loud mouthed uncles that would be quite suitable for the role,” Mina giggled.

 - “Anae is going to get in trouble.”

Jihoo was standing next to Mina and had no problem hearing her comment.  “Well, Na agree that anae and I both have chingu that would be suitable for the task but Park JungMin is useful at times.”

 - “Be nice, you three,” Ilana gently scolded.  “JungMin has always been nice to me.”

 - “Yah, dongsaeng-ah, your VP started it.”

 - “Deh, and Oppa continued.”

 - “Arraso, arraso,” Mina restored order while Jihoo just grinned.

JungMin continued:  “I’d like to give honorable mention to today’s sponsors.  The flowers and arrangements you see today are sponsored by Jaejoong & Abigail Kim and our friendly photographers from Hyung & Hyun studios, HyungJun and YiHyun!”  Jaejoong and Abigail joined the others, while HyungJun and YiHyun waved from behind their cameras; their job not yet complete.  

 - “Drums, please!”  JungMin hit the start button from the DJ app on his phone as if a drumline was waiting for his baton signal.  Please clap along with the drums as our Court of Honor is introduced.”  Once he got everyone going, he introduced the first pair.  “Daeback!  Now, from Athens, Greece, HaNa Song and from New York, New York, JaeWook Kim (Garcia)!  Please show them your appreciation.”  Grinning, HaNa and JaeWook came forward, to where long pink and white strips of cloth hung from a wire, high above the dance floor.  Both bowed to each other as a Samulnori played in the background (Korean percussion music).  JaeWook took one end of a pink cloth while Hana took the other, dragging it toward the head table on the other side of the covered pool.  Again, they bowed to each other and crossed sides, creating an arch.  JaeWook gave HaNa a wink as they crossed.  She raised her eyebrows in mock surprise and smiled playfully, with eyes sparkling.

 - “Yah...is dtal flirting with Kim JaeWook?”  WooBin looked shocked.

JaeKyung clapped her hands happily.  “Oh, goodie!  I can be in-laws with Abigail!”

 - “Yah!  No talking about in-laws!”

 - “Yeobo...relax,” she placed a placating hand on his thigh, under the table cloth.  “They’re just flirting, it’s a trait passed down from their Abeoj; didn’t you know?”  JaeKyung could hardly contain her laughter at the annoyed looks her husband was giving her.

JaeJoong quietly observed the pair on the dance floor.  He wasn’t sure just how friendly his son was with Song HaNa but he thought to find out.  He didn’t want problems with the Korean Mafia Prince.  Even if WooBin was no longer affiliated with those activities, his family’s reputation was one of legends.

 - “Our next pair is JeongHee So, from Seoul, Republic of Korea and JaeHyeong Kim from New York, New York!”  Just like the pair before them, they bowed, smiling shyly, and taking another strip of cloth (white, this time), they repeated the bow and crossed so that they now stood opposite of each other and another arch was form.  Not as shy as HaEun, yet not as bold as HaNa, JeongHee was used to letting her painting talk for her or talking about her painting.  She hoped JaeHyeong wouldn’t find her to be a boring partner.

 - “KangMin Park from Los Angeles, California and my son…”

 - “Daaad!”  KangMin shouted, distracting him from bowing to his partner. 

 - “Jeogiyo…” JeongJa waved a hand in front of her partner until he was facing her again.

 - “...and JeongJa So from Seoul, Republic of Korea!”  Finally, bowing to each other, the couple followed the previous two couples. From his seat, So YiJung studied his daughters and their partners to make sure there were no signs of flirting between them.

 - “Our fourth couple of the court is our Gongju’s own dongsaeng, HaNeul Yoon and Dasom Kim (So)!”  A giggling Dasom, who had a little bit of a crush on HaNeul, bowed nervously before him.  HaNeul, not wanting to encourage her kept a professional attitude, looking straight past her.

The next three pairs were called forward, which included the twins, KyuHa and two girls from HaEun’s ballet school and one from her church group.  Twelve-year-old KyuHa was especially awkward in front of his partner and tried not to make eye contact.  Valentino didn’t mind the younger ballet student in front of him but Matteo tried to avoid the smiles of his partner.  When all couples were done, a canopy of pink and white strips of cloth was formed.

 - “Everyone, please stand to receive our Royal Highness, Princess HaEun Yoon!!!”

Left on her own, everyone knew, HaEun wouldn’t move.  “HaEun-ah, everyone is waiting, go on,” Suzy helped shoo their shy Princess out from behind a trellis of pink and white roses.

 - “Deh, Imo.”

JungMin played the sound of a Herald trumpet and HaEun shyly stepped out as everyone snapped pictures.  She held her breath until her eyes saw InSo coming toward her.

 - “Gongju Mama,” InSo bowed with a flourish and extended his hand to her.

 - “Oppa, hajima…” a wide smile took the place of her shy one.  He never failed in his job to put a smile on her face.  HaEun took his hand and all her nerves fled the scene.

 - “Our royal for the evening, InSo Gu, is visiting from Seoul, Republic of Korea.”

InSo stood proudly at HaEun’s side, passing under the pink and white canopy held by all their friends.  As HaEun and InSo passed through, the others moved quickly one by one, weaving the cloth together, the two braided sheets of fabric were then held together by JaeWook and HaNa who created an arch for HaEun and her parents to stand under.  InSo gave a quick bow and went to stand at the end of the line of boys.  HaEun performed a formal “little” bow to thank her parents.  “Kansamnida Abeoji, kansamnida Eommoni.”

Jihoo stepped forward and kissed his daughter’s cheek and JungMin passed him the microphone.  No stranger to public speaking, between board meetings and staff meetings, but no speech would be as memorable as today’s or at least until he finally gave her away to her husband.  May I have everyone's attention please? As HaEun’s Abeoji, I would like to propose a toast to my little girl, who has become a young woman in the blink of an eye.  HaEun-ah, Yesu gave me the gift of meeting you before you were born and before your Umma and I were even dating, let alone officially married.  I remember seeing myself tucking in a sweet little girl with dark hair and the second time I saw a brave little girl of no more than three or four, sitting on top of a horse at our home in Girona.”

 - “A-ppa, that was HaYi,” HaEun mumbled.

Jihoo read her face.  I know what HaEun is thinking but it wasn’t HaYi in my dream, it was you.  The vision came true and I sat you on a horse for the first time in Girona.  And yes, HaEun is braveYou were petrified but you sat in the saddle of that very tall horse without complaints as I walked you around the exercise ring.  When you learned to play your violin, your little fingers bled and were at times painful but still, you didn’t complain.  Bravery or courage is not a lack of fear but willing to face that fear.  HaEun sat on that horse, HaEun learned the violin despite her cut fingers, and HaEun wore toe shoes despite the blisters.  And our HaEun’s cheeks are burning as I talk about her in front of everyone but she doesn’t run and hide but stands and listens.  And today, you are becoming a womanNae gongju knows Abeoji isn’t trying to embarrass you.  You’ve always been our gongju, not just today.  A princess isn't just a princess for a day and a princess isn’t just about having beautiful gowns and jewelry, a princess is gracious, humble, generous, and genuinely cares about others.  As an adult, don’t forget that you are a princess. And the prince you will one day meet must respect you and be willing to go through anything to be at your side.  When HaEun smiles and laughs her entire face lights up with simple joy just like your Umma,” he chanced a glance at his wife who was smiling with hearts in her eyes as she listened and watched. HaEun-ah, don’t ever let anyone take that joy.  Joy comes from God and no one can take that from you, if they try, you must tell them ‘no’ and you can share with them why you have that joy and how they too can have their own.  Nae gongju, may your simple joy light your way even on the darkest of nights.  Gombae!”  Everyone lifted their glass which was filled with a non-alcoholic festive sparkling drink.  Ilana said “no” to serving alcohol at a minor’s birthday party.  HaEun and HaNeul had tasted champagne and wine at formal occasions amongst friends but that didn’t mean the Yoon’s wanted to be responsible for all the kids that were present.

 - “Saranghae Appa, saranghae Umma,” giving each of her parents a kiss, InSo was back to Princess HaEun to the head table.

 - “Gongju Mama,” InSo bowed.  “Kajayo,” he extended his hand to her.

 - “Kansamnida, Oppa,” HaEun tilted her head forward with a grin, acknowledging her .

 - “Go on, you two.”  Jihoo gave a squeeze to InSo’s shoulder, dismissing them.  “Your court is waiting for you to be seated and the servers are waiting to take your order.”

 - “Deh, Jeona ajussi.”  InSo and HaEun left to take their seats.

Ilana smiled fondly at the boy and her daughter’s retreating backs.  She hoped their friendship would never change and if it were to be tested, like hers and YoungSaeng’s, may they quickly return to being good friends.  “Sarang?”  Jihoo broke through her thoughts and extended his hand to her.  “Should we get in line for the pancake bar?”

 - “Deh!”  Though it was early afternoon, HaEun had selected a brunch buffet rather than your standard reception type food.  Most of her friends were Korean and eggs were on the table at any time of day and who didn’t eat pancakes for breakfast, lunch, or dinner?  The menu included traditional western pancakes and also savory Korean pancakes, western omelet and Korean Omelet, fresh fruit and fruit waters, s’more’s bar, and freshly fried churros.

HaEun was enjoying her cinnamon and buttermilk pancakes topped with fresh strawberries, and a small seafood and veggie omelet.  A very refreshing sparkling water with strawberries and mint washed it all down.  Looking around, her friends all seemed to be enjoying themselves.  This was such a good idea to have brunch,” said the artsy JeongHee.

 - “Gomawo, Unnie.  Haengbohkae everyone seems to like it.  We have fixings for pizza, later tonight.”

 - “Ah...you haven’t had Pizza until you’ve been to New York,” JaeWook joined the conversation.

 - “Or Las Vegas,” Valentino added.

 - “Wouldn’t Rome or Naples, have better pizza than the U.S.?”  HaNa asked.

 - "It’s called, the student has surpassed the Master,” JaeWook smiled confidently at HaNa.

 - “It’s as simple as global economics,” HaNeul stated.  “People have been migrating and relocating for centuries.  Just because Pizza was invented in Naples, doesn’t mean that a Neapolitan couldn’t have immigrated to the U.S. and started making Pizza’s in New York and then his descendants moved to Chicago and eventually someone else settled in Los Angeles, Rome, etc.”

 - “HaNeul-ah lives, eats, and breathes statistics,” HaEun teased.

 - “Noona just needs to become the best musician in the world and I will take ILC to new heights.”

 - “HaEun-ah is already the best musician in the world, she just doesn’t know it yet,” InSo came back with seconds of Churros and chocolate silk pancakes.”

 - “O-ppa, aren’t you going to have fresh fruit or an omelet?”  HaEun scolded her friend.

 - “Everyone knows InSo has a sweet tooth,” JeongHee said.

HaEun sighed at her friend’s terrible eating habits.  Taking a fork, she took what was left of her omelet and placed it on his plate.  At least have a little bit of protein.”

 - “HaEun-ah, he’s a swimmer like me,” JaeWook was captain of the Varsity swim team.  “We eat carbs,” he shoveled a bite of pancake into his mouth.

 - “At least JaeWook Oppa has a side of fresh fruit next to him.”  Directing her attention back to InSo, HaEun lifted her fork.  “Oppa, take a bite of omelet.”

 - “Gongju can’t make me, he taunted.

 - “O-ppa, don’t be stubborn; JanDi Imo must scold you about all the sweets you eat.”

 - “Gwenchana, I work it off in the pool and drink lots of water.”

 - “Oppa, should I feed you like a baby?”  HaEun had her fork ready and managed to slip into his mouth, laughing.

 - “Arraso, it’s gongju’s turn,” he said, chewing.  “Have some churro.”

 - “Anieyo!  I’ll get sugar all over me!”

 - “Oppa is being nice to his gongju, take it.”

 - “O-ppa!”

 - “Fair is fair, I had omelet, gongju gets Churro.”

 - “Fine!  I’ll do it.”  HaEun took the sugary fried dough from his hand and took a careful bite not wanting sugar all over her face.  Her eyes lit up; she had to admit they were delicious.  “Oooh, those are good!”

 - “I want one!  JaeWookie Oppa, will you get me one?”  HaNa carefully protruded her lip and fluttered her eyelashes while giving JaeWook's arm a series of tiny punches.

 - “What are you a kid?  And only Umma calls me that.”  He couldn’t resist and gave her rouged cheek a quick pinch.

 - “Does that mean you’ll get me one?”  Not at all bothered by the pinch on the cheek, he hadn’t been rough at all.

 - “It might cost you a million dollars?”

 - “Does it need to be cash or can I transfer the money into your account?”  She played along.

 - “We’ll see, perhaps I won’t collect today,” he winked.

 - “Komapta!”  She blew him a kiss as he stood.

At the tables, JaeKyung looked up at the head table just in time to see her daughter blow a kiss to JaeWook.  Her husband was, thankfully, occupied with JunPyo.  Likewise, JanDi was watching her eldest son and wondered what was going on and if she should mention anything to Ilana.  No, she shook her head.  It was common for young people to share food and feed each other.  It was also common amongst couples but she wouldn’t go there.  InSo and HaEun were best friends, almost as close as her brother HaNeul.  “No”, she shook her head, “don’t go there, JanDi.”

 - “JanDi-ah?  Did you say something?”

 - “A-anieyo, everything is delicious.  The pancakes are masheesuhyo.”

JanDi’s voice woke JaeKyung from her mental wandering.  “JanDi-ah, you have to try the churros!”

 - “Don’t forget the s’mores.”  WooBin added.

 - “Let’s go get some,” JaeKyung was already standing.

JanDi had already served herself a frozen yogurt with all the toppings. But the thought of the sugary sticks of dough and the hot marshmallow and chocolate cookie, made water.  “Arraso!”

 - “You two sit, deh?”

 - “Jagiya, would you like anything else?”  YiJung asked.

 - “Oh...I want to try a churro,” GaEul felt like a kid asking for a treat.  “Amogotdo, I’ll get up.”

 - “Anieyo, I’ll go.”

 - “We want some, juseyo?”  Song HaJin looked at her younger brother, HaJun.

 - “NaDo!”  Gu InBok looked angry that he wasn’t being included.

 - “JunPyo Eeliwah, you can help us bring enough for everyone,” YiJung said.

 - “Aish..., the kids can get their own,” JunPyo protested.  He had recently acquired a struggling company and it was always a lot of work.  This was his first complete day off in months and right now he was comfortable and didn’t want to move.

InBok stood and began pulling his dad’s arm”Abeoji...eeliwah…”

JunPyo could never say no to his youngest.  “Arraso, arraso...who's the best Abeoji ever?”

 - “Nae Abeoji!”

JanDi smiled affectionately at the two.  JunPyo had a different relationship with each of their kids.  InHei was his precious angel who could do no wrong, except not stay home enough.  InSo was his equal; ever since he was born, he would have long serious discussions with him, asking him questions and waiting to listen and consider his response.  Most of the time they could never hold their serious faces for very long and one or the other would start laughing.  InBok was the little boy JunPyo never got to be and it could be said that Abeoji gave him more attention than the other two but it wasn’t true.  JanDi knew he loved all the kids the same in his own special way.

While YoungSaeng was teasing his wife about becoming a pop singer, Jihoo decided to stand.  He and HaEun would have their waltz soon and for some reason, he felt nervous.  Looking up at the head table, InSo was wiping remnants of whatever she had eaten from her lips “At least he’s using a napkin,” he thought.  Jihoo didn’t want to start jumping to conclusions and either way, the kids were all still young.  Who knew what would happen in the next ten or fifteen years.  InSo was being groomed to head Shinhwa and HaEun...whatever she dreamed, Jihoo would make sure it came true.  He didn’t want anyone getting in the way or distracting her from those dreams.  Spotting the F3 and InBok in the dessert line, he decided to join them“Sarang, I’ll go get us some strawberries,” he leaned over her, resting his hands on her arms and gave her cheek a soft kiss.

Whatever Ilana was going to counter argue with fled her brain.  A smile slowly spread across her face.  “Deh!  Gomawo!  She watched him walk toward the food tables.

 - “Ah, na chingu still has it…” Jaejoong was grinning from ear to ear with whatever scenario was playing in his head.

 - “Jae...has what?”  Abigail asked.

 - “That knack for distracting his wife from whatever she was about to do or say.”

 - “It’s not that hard when you’re in love and as in tune with your partner as those two are,” Mina spoke, staring right at YoungSaeng.  How often had he “distracted” her since that first kiss they shared in her living room.

 - “Well, Jae can try all he wants and it doesn’t work on me...,” Abigail spoke, sure of herself.

 - “Ha!”  Ilana recalled the days of a newlywed Abigail just stopping to stare if Jaejoong crossed her line of vision.

Jihoo joined the others at the dessert line.  Most had had their fill of the main entrees and were looking for something sweet to tie them over until the cake cutting.

  - “So, one girl down and one to go, deh?”  WooBin gave Jihoo a playful slap on the arm.  Jihoo knew not to react and scanned the yard for his youngest.  “Although, if I see my HaNa flirting with that Kim JaeWook again, I’m going to lock her in a convent until she’s thirty.”

 - “JeongHee said she’ll wait until she’s twenty and participate in Coming of Age Day.  That way she’s truly an adult and I can’t keep her from marrying anyone she wants and pursuing any career she wants,” YiJung frowned as he stared at the head table and watched his daughters laughing with her friends. As if these kids don’t already do what they want?”

 - “Ani, they just convince us to give them permission,” Jihoo smiled as he saw his daughter and HaNa whispering to each other and laughing.  Soon his attention was diverted to his other daughter.

 - “Papi-Papi-Papi!!!!  Can we cut, can we cut?  Please-please-please?”  HaLee was jumping up and down, hands clasped together, begging to be let into the line with her friends.

 - “Mollah, if your Ajussi-deul say it’s acceptable, na will consider it.”

HaLee proceeded to give her uncles the same show “We had to wait in line,” InBok pointed out.  It won’t hurt you to wait.”

 - “InBok, was I talking to you?”

 - “Yah...‘You?’-I’m older than you…”

 - “InBok-ah, you’re almost two years older than her, remember she just turned seven in October, cut her some slack.  Besides, she’s American and in Korean years, you’re actually eleven.”  JunPyo reasoned with his son while the rest of the F3 smiled.  InBok was almost a miniature version of JunPyo.

WooBin leaned down to HaLee.  “I’ll give HaYi a free pass if she gives Nino a big hug and kiss.”

 - “Okay!!”  HaLee jumped as high as she could and WooBin caught her.  She immediately wrapped her legs around him and peppered his face with kisses.

 - “Arraso, if anyone says ‘no’ they’ll have to face me,” WooBin gave InBok a glare.  InBok didn’t want to get on his uncle’s bad side; his sister always told him he had a torture chamber in his house.  Not that he really believed it but it didn’t hurt to avoid getting him upset.  “You guys can stand in front of me,” InBok reluctantly said.

 - “Kansamnida!”  HaLee, JungSoon, and SeoJun all bowed respectfully.  JungSoon and SeoJun ran into place ahead of InBok.  When HaLee was about to follow, Jihoo grabbed her by the waist “Papi!!”  HaLee squealed.

 - “Yo, kid, I think you need some pointers.  Before I return to Athens, you’re going to spar with me.  Abeoji shouldn’t have been able to catch you so easily.”

Jihoo hoisted a laughing HaLee into his arms.  “Na only told HaYi, I’d consider letting her cut.”  HaLee had perfected the puppy dog eyes and could usually get Jihoo to melt after such a performance“Agassi, it’s not going to work this time.  HaYi has to promise me something.”

 - “I’ll do it, I’ll do it!”  She wrapped her little arms tightly around his neck and kissed his smooth cheek.

 - “HaYi has to promise me she won’t have one of these ceremonies,” he .

 - “Kol (deal)!  I don’t want a dumb ceremony like HaEun,” she rolled her eyes and shook her head.

Jihoo laughed.  Her Korean vocabulary was minimal and yet she knew words like “Kol”.  “We’ll make a contract, later.  One more kiss and HaYi can go with her chingu.”

 - “Mmmmmuaahh!”  HaLee gave him a firm squeeze and noisy kiss before nearly jumping from Jihoo’s arms, leaving her Papi, grinning after her.  She was completely opposite of her sister whose kisses were more like butterflies dancing, they were so tender and gentle.  HaLee’s were like a hit and run accident.

 - “Don’t worry,” WooBin slung his arm around Jihoo’s shoulder.  “At least she’ll be able to defend herself against the throng of boys her fiery red hair and feisty personality will one day attract.”

 - “Thank heavens for small mercies,” Jihoo sighed and turned to fill a bowl with strawberries for his wife.

The caterers had closed the griddle and frying stations, with only the fruit and frozen yogurt left out for guests to snack on.  YoungSaeng and HyungJun (With JungMin directing) had brought down HaEun’s white Leather and Gold Frame Double High Back Queen Throne chair from her bedroom.  It would be used for the photo booth later on but for now, they were sliding it onto the dance floor.  “Jeongmal, what is that thing made of, it weighs a ton,” YoungSaeng was catching his breath.

Mina and YiHyun went up to their husband's with a refreshing glass of watermelon and mint water. It’s an authentic replica and had a price tag to match but someone insisted on buying it for her thirteenth birthday,” Mina smiled at her husband who now wished he’d listened to his wife.

 - “YoungSaeng-ah, next time you’re carrying the chair by yourself,” HyungJun glared at his friend for making him work so hard.  “Gomawo, jagi, this is delicious.”

 - “Nampyon is working so hard today” YiHyun fawned over her husband who loved every second of it.

 - “Deh...give me a backrub later?  Deh-deh-deh?”

 - “Guerae…” YiHyun pinched his cheek.

 - “Aigoo…” YoungSaeng threw them a disgusted look.  He could only be in their vicinity for so long before their over sugary displays grated on his nerves.  “JungMin-ah, are we done?”

 - “We need to turn on more lighting over the dance floor,” YiHyun said.

 - “Deh, I’ll go test the follow spot,” JungMin ran off to the DJ booth where he had the ground control system for the spotlight.  After everything was in order, DJ Mal was back on.   “If I can have everyone back in their seats, it’s time for the changing of the shoes and Father Daughter waltz.”

JeongHee had been touching up HaEun’s makeup and Ilana went to her to where Jihoo was waiting near her chair.  A pair of high heeled shoes was resting on a pillow next to it.

As the spotlight shone on HaEun, Jihoo smiled widely and she responded in kind.  If she could dance in the corps de ballet in front of thousands of strangers, she could dance with her Appa in front of a hundred family members.  His smile comforted her nerves and the way he looked at her, made her feel like it was just the two of them again, practicing, and he was making her laugh with his stories.

Ilana delivered HaEun to her waiting Father.  “Jeona, our gongju requests an audience,” she teased.  Jihoo tried giving her the “not funny” look but failed.  Instead, he kissed his wife on the cheek, gomawo” and hugged his daughter “Anja, we have a waltz to dance.”

 - “Deh, Appa,” grinning, HaEun sat in the throne chair and Ilana stepped back to observe.

 - “Now, our Quinceañera will wear her very first pair of high heels.  Isn’t that right?”  HaEun giggled behind her hands.  She did wear mostly flats and the occasional small heel.  The new shoes were the tallest she’d ever owned and InSo complained bitterly during their practices that she was taller (only by a half inch) than him “Abeoji will help slip them on her feet.”

 Jihoo crouched down and untied the ribbon that was around her ankles and slipped off the white flats with lace applique and scattered clusters of pearls.  http://bourboncoffee.biz/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/white-lace-wedding-shoes-awesome-vintage-bridal-shoes-of-white-lace-wedding-shoes.jpg.  Taking his time, he took one of the brand new heels, smiling.  Again, he couldn’t help thinking that his “little” princess would never change.  The shoes were very similar to the flats.  Covered in lace (not as ornate) and a quarter inch satin ruffle around the back topline, he slipped on the shoe and tied the ribbon together.  A sudden memory intruded in this solemn ceremony.  He was suddenly transported to Macau and instead of lacey high heels, a pair of silver flats was in his hands and a short-haired brunette was leaning on his shoulder for balance.

 - “A-ppa?”

Jihoo had tied both ribbons and remained frozen, lost in the memory that had been filed away in the back of his mind.  He couldn’t say it was all bittersweet.  Certainly, she was hurting and he was hurting for her but at least for a few days, he was able to make her smile.  Coming back to the present, he stood.  Tan-tan…,” he extended a hand to help his daughter up.

 - “Now that our Quinceañera has her dancing shoes on, she will join her Father for her first dance as a young woman,” JungMin narrated.  InSo and JaeWook whisked the throne chair away from the dance floor, taking it to the house where the photo booth was set up.

 - “Gwenchana?  The shoes aren’t too tall?  Are they comfortable?  Ara nae gongju won’t fall over, maja?”  He asked, as if his little girl were learning to walk all over again.

 - “A-ppa, they’re the same shoes I did the last few practices in!”  Her eyes twinkled in amusement.

 - "Ara…,” he walked her to the middle of the dance floor and his eyes searched for his wife. Finding her, he also found JanDi who was standing next to her.  Hadn’t he just been thinking of the time they were all in Macau?  Was she?  He saw her look down somewhat awkwardly; perhaps his eyes had met JanDi’s first, he wasn’t sure.  Could their thoughts have run in the same direction?

JunPyo had remained seated at the table with WooBin and YiJung while their wives stood near the dance floor for a better look.  JunPyo turned his head to see his wife blushing and awkwardly looking down at her feet.  Across from her was Jihoo, Ilana was standing next to JanDi but why was his wife acting that way.  He immediately got up and headed for her side; standing behind her, he placed a possessive arm across JanDi’s chest and kissed her cheek.

 - “Gu JunPyo!!  What’s gotten into you?”  JanDi was rudely awakened from her memory by her husband.

 - “Bogoshipo,” he said abruptly and with a “you-have-your-own-wife-why- are-you-looking-at-mine?” angry stare, directed his gaze across the dance floor to Jihoo.

Jihoo noticed JunPyo and shook his head, chuckling.  Ilana was staring with a slight tilt to her head, questioning what was going on “I’ll tell you later,” his eyes spoke to hers with a blink.   Cinderella's Waltz had begun and HaEun completed her introductory twirling in the center of the dance floor.  She curtsied and he bowed, bringing his head back to where it should be and that was with his little princess.  Closing the gap between them, he took her reaching hand in his and gave her a twirl.  They came together in standard dance form a few seconds and then swung her out again where she let herself go into another twirl.  The cheering (encouraged by JungMin) from all her friends, and even some, of her uncles was almost getting louder than the music.  Returning to Jihoo, HaEun was trying hard not to be affected by everyone watching and pressed her lips together in an embarrassed smile.  “Haengbohkae?”  He asked after passing her behind his back and settling into a shadow position.

 - “Deh, Appa, kansamnida.”  They weren’t able to talk for long before it was time to twirl her around again and then lift her up off the ground.  Though their guests were clapping and whistling as they cheered, Jihoo and HaEun were lost in each other.  He wasn’t seeing a fifteen year old young woman but the adorable little girl that loved it when Appa lifted her high in the air as he twirled with her.  HaEun’s face was bright with her free smile and giggles.  She loved to dance but dancing with her Appa she wasn’t thinking of her steps or counting, she was just dancing.  As he swung her out again, she let herself go and twirled freely again “Ready for our finale?”

 - “Deh!”  He passed her behind him and returned to waltzing in standard form before he lifted her off her feet, turning her and setting her back down and repeating the process.  HaEun flung herself into his embrace after their last spin and the cheers and table pounding registered in their consciousness again.  Appa, kansamnida for today, haengbohkaeyo!  Nomu haengbohkaeyo.”

 - “Choah, gongju, choah.”

 - “Wah...I think Father and Daughter need to be in a dance competition.  What do you think?  Would they win?”  DJ Mal addressed their guests.

As everyone agreed, shy HaEun returned and she covered her face in embarrassment.  “So much like Umma,” Jihoo said and tucked her head into his shoulder giving the top of her head a kiss as she giggled.  “That was daeback.  Don’t make Appa wait until your wedding for another dance.”

 - “A-ppa!”  Her adorable scandalized face made him laugh“Appa is making fun of me?”  She tried not to laugh but it didn’t work.

 - “Now, it’s time for our Princess to dance with her first eligible suitor…”

 - “Ajussi!”  Both HaEun and InSo scolded the teasing DJ.

 - “...I mean royal .”  Jihoo was shooting death glares at JungMin.  “Jihoo-ah, relax...I’m kidding!  Our royal has had the privilege of being our Princess’s best friend since before they were born.”  JungMin could joke all he wanted, it wasn’t his cute little SuJi out there.  He didn’t have to worry about that for a very long time.

The crowd of next-generation F4 teens stood to loudly encourage their friends“Gu InSo!  Yoon HaEun!”  They chanted over and over again.  InSo stood tall, waiting at the edge of the dance floor for HaEun.  Different from the boring and stuffy Shinhwa banquets his Abeoji made them attend, he was very pleased that she’d asked him to be her .  He hadn’t realized how well she danced until recently.  Of course, he too was an excellent dancer thanks to the endless classes he’d had to attend.  He and HaEun made a great team and couldn’t wait to show off their combined talents.

Arriving at the edge of the dance floor, Jihoo gave his daughter one more kiss.  Ka, have fun you too,” he gave InSo’s shoulder a light squeeze.

 - “Deh Ajussi, kansamnida,” InSo bowed to Jihoo.

 - “Here’s InSo Gu and HaEun Yoon, dancing to Miracles Happen.”  The music started and InSo knew HaEun would start with a free spin to the center of the dance floor while he ran to her.  He was completely floored (her father was too) when HaNa gave a yank to HaEun’s ballroom skirt revealing a much shorter version underneath her overskirt.  Joining hands for a few seconds, they spun around together.  “Yah!  HaEun-ah is trying to give me a heart attack?  InSo grumbled, playfully.

 - “Mianhaeyo…” HaEun couldn’t tell him it was HaNa’s idea.  On the second line, I don't need wings to help me fly…,” he swung her out and she let go into a free spin with arms lifted wide and a huge smile on her face.  Their dance was choreographed with elements of Cha-cha and swing, though their hands were continually in contact, it wasn’t like a waltz where they danced closely together.  He spun her out, they came back together and he spun her out again.

 - “Ready gongju?”

 - “Deh!”  On “Nothing should ever bring you down”, she rolled across his back and then stepped back in to a partnered cha-cha and rolled back on “I don’t need wings to make me fly”.  Surprisingly all nervousness was gone and it was just her and her friend having a good time as was evident by the huge smiles on both their faces.  The lyrics of the song felt right to both of them.  Neither could imagine life not being friends and as much as he encouraged her to follow her dreams, he was also encouraged by her dedication.

Their lifts were all choreographed to “I don’t need wings…”  Their second lift was a hip lift, spinning with her for four counts and bringing her back down just to twirl her again.  Jihoo and Ilana stood by as proud parents.  They were both firm believers of miracles, having received a few in their lifetime.  They knew this was a miracle.  Their shy daughter would never have put on such a display before; of course; they didn’t know how much she struggled to get to this point.

The grand finale was coming up and the pair was joined by all the entire court mimicking their moves.  Having been forewarned ahead of time, the seven other pairs kept to the edge of the dance floor as HaEun and InSo would need room.  InSo and HaEun were on opposite sides of the dance floor.  If InSo made a mistake, HaEun could get hurt.  Taking a deep breath, they walked quickly toward each other.  InSo crouched down and as she stepped close to him, he hooked his arm under her and lifted her to his shoulder.  One hand was holding his, while the other hand reached victoriously upward.  Dropping his arm that was supporting her on his shoulder, she fell into his arms.  From the moment she stepped into his hold and now in his arms, he hadn’t stopped spinning her.  Finally, letting her down, she ended with the splits.  He still held one of her hands and their free hands were raised triumphantly.  After catching their breath, he helped her up and while holding hands, they raised their arms together and bowed.

 - “Let’s hear it for our Quinceañera and her InSo Gu!”  Guests didn’t need prompting, they had been on their feet clapping and cheering since the finale.  InSo and HaEun were quickly surrounded by their friends.

 - “Unnie!  The skirt change was daeback!”  Dasom hugged her friend.

 - “That was my idea!”  HaNa took credit for her genius design.

 - “Yah, HaNa-yah, I thought I would have a heart attack when I saw you rip her skirt off!  InSo scolded.

 - “Mianhae, dongsaeng, it had to be a surprise,” HaNa grinned.

 - “Papa will want to recruit you two as backup dancers,” Valentino complimented while his brother remained sullen in the background.

 - “Let's open the party with my favorite,” JungMin hopped back on the mic.  “This is...Beautiful!  Everyone on the dance floor!”

The court of honor split up to grab some of the adults.  A few needed coaxing but others came willingly.

 - “Eeliwah!”  HaNa had come to grab her parents and JaeKyung took Ilana, JanDi, and GaEul with her.

Likewise, JaeWook and JaeHyeong headed for their parents and JaeJoong and Abigail took Jihoo and Ilana with them.  “Come on, chica.”

HaEun and InSo remained on the dance floor and though she was smiling, tears were threatening to fall.  “Yah, wae is nae gongju crying?”

 - “Amogtdo.  Nomu haengbohkae and...It’s just...Oppa gomawo.”

 - “Wae?”

 - “For being my partner and helping me get over my nerves and I had so much fun dancing with Appa and you, Oppa.  Na just have to play my instrument later and thank my guests and I’ll have passed.”

InSo laughed.  “Passed what?”

 - “My test, na think I can do anything now.”

 - “Paboya has always been able to do anything.  Yoon HaEun is jjang!”

 HaEun had extended a general invitation to ARTMATIC dancers and a few were able to make the trip to Los Angeles just to attend her party.  They danced over with her Nino and Nina and Kim HyunJoong“HaEun-ah, InSo-ah, anytime you want to join us, you can,” one of the dancers said.

 - “Kansamnida hyeong,” InSo inclined his head.  “Hajiman, nae dongsaeng needs to dance principal in a ballet first.”

 - “O-ppa…, I nearly had a heart attack auditioning for second!”

 - “Didn’t agassi just say she could do anything?”

 - “Greomyo!  YoungSaeng said, proudly.

 - “Yah, O-ppa,” Ilana and Jihoo finally fought their way to the middle of the dance floor, where their daughter was“Last we checked, she was ours.”

 - “She’s nae Unnie!”  Heo AhReum, who was dancing nearby with some of the younger girls, hugged HaEun.

As with any function, none of the younger boys wanted to dance.  The only reason thirteen-year-old Park KangDae was dancing was that his Mother had claimed him for a dance.  Also, his best friend, Yoon KyuHa was stuck dancing for a while; KangDae was there for moral support.  Eventually, they’d be able to make their escape to play on their mobile devices.  “HaYi is distracted in the bounce house with her friends or she would tell AhReum to keep our HaEun for herself,” KyuHa laughed at his joke.

 - “KyuHa-yah…” Ilana knew her girls were like night and day which caused many a disagreement but she didn’t like when the boys “playfully” encouraged the rift between sisters.

 - “Sorry, Mama!  I was just playing.”

 - “Yes, I know, lovey.”  Truthfully, HaLee was actually impressed with her sister’s dance but would never admit it.  “Still, you shouldn’t joke at your sisters’ expense.”

The dancers were no longer in any recognizable form as DJ Mal had them rocking out to “Heat” followed by “Hot Sun”, while screaming, jumping and flailing their arms about.  Joining the chaos was HyungJoong, WooBin, JaeKyung, HyungJun, YoungSaeng, Jaejoong, Abigail, YiJung, GaEul, and Kike. The rest of the adults moved off the dance floor, for more stable ground.  Although, the 5-inch Plexiglas dance floor could easily withstand about a hundred teens jumping on it.

 - “We didn’t even get to tell HaEun how beautiful she their dance routine was,” Ilana was a little upset but understood the ceremony was over and the rest of the night belonged to the kids.

 - “Gwenchana, we’ll tell her later.  Na confess, I was a bit surprised about her skirt change.  Mina-yah, did you know?”  Jihoo asked.

 - “Anieyo!”  Mina denied all responsibility “Nampyon and I were in Macau, remember?  She mentioned a surprise but I had no idea.  Na should have realized it when she was practicing with a short skirt.  Nampyon was just as shocked.”

 - “Regardless, anae and I are proud of dtal.  Dancing a waltz with me was nothing compared to what she accomplished with InSo.”

 - “Sunbae, did you see their smiles?  They were having so much fun!”

 - “InSo hates dancing at the Shinhwa events and yet, Na didn’t realize he and HaEun had been putting together such an elaborate performance,”

JunPyo stated.  “Well, he’s as close to HaEun as he is his Noona.  Haengbohkae they are such good chingu.”

JanDi couldn’t help wonder what would happen if the two ever decided to be more than friends.  She hoped it wouldn’t come to that.  HaEun was a sweet and talented girl whom any mother would be proud to have as a daughter-in-law but if it didn’t work out she didn’t want their friendship ruined.  The thought of it was enough to break her heart as it nearly did over Jihoo’s leaving for the army and New York.  JanDi’s usually cheerful eyes were suddenly dull and downcast with imagined sorrow and her lips were parted just a little as if finding it difficult to breathe.  To his credit, JunPyo noticed this change in his wife’s countenance.

 - “Yah...JanDi-ah?  Guam JanDi!”  He called her name, louder when she didn’t respond.

Jihoo and anyone else within earshot couldn’t help overhear JunPyo’s booming voice.

 - “Mwo?”  JanDi was awakened from her thoughts by her husband’s booming voice.

 - “Yah...gwenchana?  Appayo?  Chincha, JanDi-yah doesn’t look well.”

JanDi looked around, everyone was now staring, especially Jihoo “Ah, deh, deh,” she laughed, embarrassed at her mind’s wanderings.

 - “Chincha?”  Jihoo asked.  She had looked on the verge of tears a second ago.

 - “Yah, Yoon Jihoo, nae will take care of nae anae.”

 - “Gu JunPyo, no one said otherwise,” Jihoo calmly responded, without blinking“We’ll be sitting down if you need us.  Kaja,” he took his wife’s hand.

 - “Sarang, is JunPyo upset with you?”

 - “Anieyo.”

 - “Sarang is hiding something.  If he doesn’t want to sleep at the inn with the namja, he will tell me by the end of the evening.”

Jihoo chuckled a bit awkwardly.  How was he supposed to tell his wife Gu JunPyo was still jealous of him?  “It’s a bit embarrassing, hajiman, nae will tell Sarang later.”

 - “Sounds interesting, nae can’t wait.”

 - “Not that interesting, Sarang.”

JunPyo and JanDi had their table all to themselves.  The adults were dancing and the kids were with their friends at another table.  “Gu JunPyo what has gotten into you, today?  Wae were you so rude to Jihoo Sunbae?”

 - “Nae should ask anae that.  Nae saw him looking at you earlier and you were blushing and then all of a sudden you’re crying and he comes over to worry about you.”

JanDi scoffed, rolling her eyes and shaking her head.  Chincha?  Chincha, JunPyo?  After all these years, you’re still jealous of Sunbae?”

 - “Deh, alright?” JunPyo, sulked.  “I hate it hajiman Na don’t want any namja looking at you much less Yoon Jihoo.”

JanDi laughed as if she’d just been told the funniest joke of her life.  “I’m going back to the hotel; you and your jealousy can stay here.”

 - “Anieyo, anieyo!”  JanDi had stood and JunPyo stood after her“Mianhae, mianhae,” he wrapped her in his arms.  “Do you forgive this pabo?  Deh, nae get jealous when all Na ever hear is Sunbae, this and Sunbae that.”

 - “JunPyo...in case you haven’t noticed Na always mention Ilana as well.”

 - “Anieyo…," he mumbled like a kid.

 - “Aish, chincha?  What am I going to do with you?”

 - “Just tell me saranghae.”

 - “Deh, saranghae.  Haengbohkae?”

 - “Chincha?  Does Anae mean it?”

 - “Greomyo, pabo; I’ve meant it since we were in High School.”

Their voices weren’t the quietest and they were drawing attention but JunPyo didn’t care and held her tighter.  “Gomawo.”

 - “Deh,” she his back as if he were one of the kids.  Can we sit down now?”

 - “Oh…”

The time was passing quickly and the kids had not come off the dance floor.  HyungJun and YiHyun were having as much fun as the kids but also conscious of the time.  HaEun needed to cut her cake and have her performance with her Father and Nino.  DJ Mal’s voice broke through the music.  “Can I have the entire Yoon family and HaEun’s Godparents at the cake table, please?  Everyone else, HaEun will be cutting her cake soon and we’ll be singing happy birthday.  For now, here’s Kim HyunJoong’s, Tonight!”

 - “InSo-ah, dance with us!”  HaNa and JeongHee pulled InSo back to the dance floor.  The girls outnumbered the boys, as they had lost a few of them.  Truthfully, InSo had been about to follow HaEun.  He’d been at her side the entire afternoon; it was natural for him to be wherever she was.  HaNa noticed InSo looking toward the cake table.  “InSo-ah, she won’t get lost,” HaNa teased.

 - “Wae...I was just curious.”

 - “Guerae…!”

 - “InSo-ah, it’s just us...the adults are all busy.  Do you have a crush on her?”

 - “Mwoya?  Andwae!  She’s na dongsaeng!”

 - “I don’t know, dude...” JaeWook didn’t know InSo that well but he was always with HaEun.  “Even HaNeul doesn’t follow his sister as much as you do.”

 - “It’s not just me,” InSo defended himself.  “HaEun and JeongHee Noona are always with us.”

 - “Arraso, leave them alone.  HaEun isn’t here to defend herself,” JoengHee stopped the teasing or HaNa would take it too far.

 - “Maybe it's HaEun Unnie that has the crush,” Dasom giggled.

 - “Yah!  Knock it off!”  InSo was getting angry.

 - “Shhh!!!”  HaNa shushed him before anyone heard.  He was his parents’ son and his voice carried.  “Deh, well, she’ll never meet anyone as shy as she is.  Though, thanks to you, she’s done so well.  Our old HaEun would never have danced in front of everyone like that.”

 - “Unnie, don’t forget you made her play for us and now she’s playing her instrument for everyone,” JeongHee gave praise to HaNa for her part in HaEun’s transformation.

 - “She’s fifteen, wae does she need to meet anyone?  HaNa and JeongHee too.”

 - “Too late,” JaeWook took HaNa’s hand and twirled her around.  “HaNa already likes me.”

 - “Confident, aren’t we?”  She came back at him.

 - “Deh!”

Thankfully, the subject as dropped but InSo couldn’t shake it from his brain.  Was he giving everyone the wrong impression?  He cared for HaEun and since she was so shy, he got used to being there for her to talk to and protect her from the perils of life at Shinhwa.  He would do the same for HaNa or JeongHee but they weren’t like HaEun.  They were all friends and cared for each other’s needs.  He’d helped JeongHee with her painting supplies before and he taught HaNa how to be a stronger swimmer before she left for Athens.  The song lyrics crept into InSo’s consciousness.

Your smile floats in my dream

Just like a magnet I'm so drawn.

 - “Well...yes...,” that was one of HaEun’s best features and the reason she was liked by any normal person.  The girls at Shinhwa, that gave her a hard time, were just jealous.

You are a Princess Be Like

I'll protect you Alright All Night

 - “Mollah!”  InSo laughed at the lyrics and shook his head, startling Dasom who was dancing with him.  “Aish, I’m going to go wait for cake.”

 - “Arraseyo,” DaSom shrugged and continued dancing with the rest.

 - “Chiquita!  What am I going to do with you?”  Ilana scolded her youngest.  Of course, she didn’t come when JungMin called for the entire Yoon family.  KyuHa, hoping to avoid the kid getting into too much trouble, fetched her from the bounce house.  One of her braids had come undone, her face was smeared with dirt, so were her legs, and who knew where her shoes had gone.

Mopping her up with his handkerchief (he carried one just because of her), he scolded her.  “I’m starting to think Mama bought you from a farm or zoo.  You’re not a little girl, perhaps you’re part wolf or pig.”

 - “Or horse,” she giggled.

 - “Se cree chistosa (she thinks she’s funny),” like their uncle Kike, KyuHa would ramble in Spanish when he got upset.

KyuHa had done his best to make the kid presentable but what did a thirteen year old boy know about braiding a girl’s hair.  Especially since she had lost a hair tie and he had to start from scratch.  Her friends were only a little better off than his sister but they weren’t his problem.  Not seeing her shoes, he carried her and her bare feet, on his back.  “I thought this was HaEun’s party why do I have to take a picture with her?”

 - “Because Uncle JungMin called the entire Yoon family.  Last I checked that included you.”

YiHyun was a professional photographer and always had a bag of tricks with her.  Before Ilana could scold any further, YiHyun stopped her.  “I’ll take care of it,” YiHyun pulled out face wipes and a hair brush.  “Junnie, make sure her face and hands are clean and I’ll braid her hair again.  Give us five minutes.  HaEun-ah, why don’t you put your overskirt back on, now?  You’ll need it for your performance.”

 - “Arraseo!

 Brushing out her hair and pinning it up with the remaining ribbon and adding a little lip gloss, the child was now presentable and HaEun was back in her skirt.  HaYi-yah stayed perfectly clean and absolutely beautiful the entire day of her party but for her sister’s party, she’s a wreck?”  Ilana asked of the child while YiHyun put them all in position for the picture.

 - “Abeoji, Umma, both of you, place an arm around each other and a hand on HaEun’s shoulder while she cuts the cake.”

HaYi shrugged, while she answered.  “I was just playing.”

 - “HaYi-yah, stand next to Unnie and namja stand on either side of Abeoji and Umma.”

 - “Noona didn’t roll around in the dirt, with her face, at your party,” HaNeul said.  Scolding their Maknae was usually a family affair.

 - “HaNeul-ah, gwenchana, she’s just a kid,” HaEun graciously forgave her little sister.

 - “Now, look at me.  Hana…”

Before YiHyun could finish counting, Jihoo intercepted HaLee’s retort by letting go his wife and placing an authoritative hand on her shoulder.

 - “Dol…”

 - “Not a word Ahgassi.”

 - “Set...kimchi!”

 - “Yes, Papi!”

 - “Perfect!”

DJ Mal led everyone in the Happy Birthday song and invited everyone indoors for a special treat.  Chairs had been set up in the main room of the house.  Ilana was not willing to carry the Fazioli piano outside and some things just didn’t sound the same on an electric keyboard.  The little kids were asked to sit on the floor and though InBok pouted, he complied.  “Ladies and gentleman,” JungMin, without a mic, projected his voice very well in the acoustics of the room.  “This evening we are all in for a treat.  Our birthday girl, accompanied by her Father and SuAm foundation chairman, Yoon Jihoo, and Hallyu recording artist, Heo YoungSaeng, will perform Navarra Opus 33 published in the romantic period of 1889 by Pablo de Sarasate.”  The three took their places; Jihoo and HaEun on violin and YoungSaeng on piano.  Mina also took a seat behind her husband to help him turn the pages.  He wasn’t a classical pianist and, more often than not, played by ear but like with their own daughter, he couldn’t say “no” when HaEun asked if he would play with her and her Father.  Ilana had to help him and if she wasn’t able to, Jihoo sat with him which was very awkward for both men.  Ilana and YoungSaeng could argue and yell at each other when YoungSaeng’s frustrations reached a boiling point but the two men didn’t have that camaraderie.  They weren’t long friends; their only connection was Ilana (not by choice) and now, HaEun.  Soon, the fruit of his months of practicing paid off and the three came together in a bountiful harvest of music notes.  Even HaLee sat quiet, enjoying the music.  The teens proudly listened to their friend.  Not all of them could say they enjoyed classical music but because of their parents were exposed to culture and beautiful music and art that normal kids their age weren’t.  This was special because of their friend and knowing that she and her Father were musical geniuses and adding a Hallyu star on top of it was something epic.  The rare and coveted leaked video of an F4 private event would be the most watched for at least a month.  Ilana took it all in with her eyes closed, feeling the music dancing inside her heart like the squirrels dance in the trees.

While the adults all smiled fondly, InSo did too.  He wouldn’t say her panic attacks were worth a performance but knowing what she overcame to be able to perform for everyone made it all the more beautiful.  A soft smile played on her lips and her swayed softly as she dipped her head, feeling every note reverberate through her body.  He didn’t know how she could play with eyes closed, but she did, and he couldn’t close his eyes or keep them off her face.  Her Father’s playing was just as flawless but almost cold in its perfection but HaEun’s was warm, invigorating, and alive.  Her Father’s skill was seasoned and perfected; it had already been proven to the world while HaEun would still need to prove hers.  And InSo would say she was doing a very good job of it, judging by the looks on everyone's faces.  Knowing she was a child prodigy and hearing the evidence were two different things.

Suddenly the room was quiet; the final note had been played.  HaEun opened her eyes to the clapping, hardly believing she was still standing and it was over.  She had finished the performance and was still alive.  InSo’s eyes were the first she met.  “Oppa, I did it!”  She mouthed.

 - “Daeback!”  InSo saw her lips move and understood.

 - “Gongju, chukahae on your first public performance,Jihoo hugged her.

 - “Deh, our gongju can play the Hollywood Bowl next.”

 - “Nino, andwaeyo!”

 - “Gongju, bow to your audience,” Jihoo said.  The three bowed together and Jihoo and YoungSaeng stepped back.  It was time for the Quinceañera to make her speech. HaEun looked back in a slight panic but Jihoo smiled reassuringly; he was right there with her even if he wasn’t right beside her.  Turning back to the audience, she took a deep breath and tried to smile.  “Th-thank you all…”

 - “HaEun-ah!  HaEun-ah!  HaEun-ah!”  InSo and HaNa had begun a chant and everyone followed.

HaEun laughed and her nerves were gone. This was my thank you to all of you for coming.  My music is my heart just like all of my family and friends, who are amazing.  From my friends who helped me get here, today…”  Jihoo and Ilana looked at each other and shrugged.  Perhaps one day they would know the journey she took.  “My Nina Mina and Tia Abigail for helping me plan this party and Ajussi JungMin for being the MC...,” she had to stop to breathe or start crying“All my honorary aunts and uncles who took time from their busy schedules to come...and most importantly is Umma and Appa, thank you for letting me have this ceremony and party and for always encouraging me to dream and work hard to reach those dreams.  I…” talking about her personal feelings in front of everyone was going to be difficult.  Jihoo had stepped a little closer and Ilana made her way to sit on the floor next to HaLee and right in front of her eldest.  HaEun practically jumped seeing her Appa out of the corner of her eye; looking forward again, her Umma was sitting on the floor.  A few rows back, HaNa and InSo were making funny faces at her.  Feeling her cheeks warm, she ducked her head a little but then looked into her Umma’s smiling face.  Her Appa always said her face lit up when she smiled, just like her Umma’s.  Her parent’s smiles were the most beautiful to her, perhaps because she knew there had been a time they never smiled.  “I…” she began again.  “...didn’t just want to have a lavish party for my fifteenth birthday.  I did want to have my family and friends with me but also I wanted to make the commitments of a Quinceañera.  I thought if I could go through with this ceremony, I could do anything I put my mind to.  Umma, Appa, Pastor Jonathon...like Timothy from the Bible, I’m young, but I promise to be worthy "in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity”.  I won’t neglect my work and my responsibilities.  I...hope that you will be proud of me.  It means so much to me that you are all here.  Thank you all for coming today, especially those from far away and with busy schedules.”  HaEun inclined her head, indicating she was done.

Suddenly InSo was on his feet, clapping, joined by HaNa and JeongHee.  Jihoo enveloped his daughter in a tight hug, knowing it must have been difficult for her to talk so candidly in front of everyone.  “Gongju-yah. Umma and I are always proud of you.”  Ilana had slowly stood, but hung back, letting Father and daughter have their moment.  It was much more difficult for Jihoo to open up his feelings and thoughts to others than it was for Ilana.  Except when it came to wanting her husband’s approval.  That always worried her.  Perhaps her daughter had inherited that from her.  Ilana wanted Jihoo to proud of her just as HaEun wanted both her parents to be of her.  Deciding the two had had enough time alone, Ilana walked up to them.  “Gongju, does Umma get to hug you too or just Appa?”

 - “Umma!  Gomawoyo!”

 - “Mollah… laughing, she waved away HaEun’s thanks.  “Nothing can separate you from God’s love or ours.  We’ll be there to smile with you in your joys and cry with you over your disappointments but we’ll always be proud of you.”

 - “Aww...isn’t our Yoon family adorable?”  JungMin’s loud voice filled the room; making the family in question laugh and roll their eyes at the annoying horse DJ.  The party isn’t over yet!  Princess, Royal , Honor Court, to the dance floor, Palli!”