- 6 -

Love’s Long Journey
Seoul, Republic of Korea Monday Evening August 2031

 

- “Unnie, I’m going to miss you!”

 - “Dongsaeng-ah, I’m only going to be gone a few days.”

 - “Unnie….won’t miss me at all!  Look at the smile on your face!”  InHei tried to look her saddest, making Isabel laugh at her exuberant and sometimes childish (InHei was a few years younger) friend.  “First Yullie (she still called So JeongYul by his nickname) leaves me to go to France and Unnie runs to her Umma and Appa every chance she gets.”

 - “Hajima!!  Just come with me!”

InHei sighed.  “HyeSo Uissanim and KyuJong Uissanim need all the help they can get.”  They were short staffed, since many the Shinhwa students in the SuAm-Shinhwa work/study program were on vacation with their families.  ”Ara Na can’t abandon them on such short notice.  I will have to be the responsible one this time.”  InHei was the fun-loving goofy one, who had inherited her silliness from her dad and her never give up attitude from her Mom.  Between her Dad’s statistical brain and her Mom’s spirit, it made up for all the other cracks in her own brain.  It also helped that Isabel was two years ahead of her and could help her with anything she didn’t understand.  “Enjoy your family.  Ara Unnie misses them, even you say you don’t miss your namdongsaeng-deul.  Give Ajussi and Imo hugs for me and pinch JaeWookie and JaeHyeonie’s cheeks for me and hug JaeWon and JaeIn.”

 - “In that order?”  Isabel shook her head and laughed.

 - “Deh!”  InHei challenged back “Oh!  And give kisses to Imo JaeKyung and Ajussi WooBin and…”

 - “Arraso...arraso!  I leave in fifteen hours and InHei will be following me into the terminal still giving me her list of greetings.”

 - “Anihya!  Hajiman...next time...I’m stowing away in your suitcase.”

Isabel laughed.  “InHei-yah, don’t stow away, Na will buy you a ticket.  Umma and Appa think of you as their other daughter.  Not as much as nae Halmoni but still.”  Isabel and InHei were only apart to sleep and sometimes not even then.  Late nights at the clinics or studying often times ended up with sleepovers at either girls home.  More often than not it was InHei spending the night with Isabel at the Senior Kim’s home since Isabel’s parents were in New York.  Her Harabeoji still travelled for business while her Halmoni stayed home with her.  Isabel felt terrible that her grandparents had to be apart sometimes because of her but her Appa would never let her be alone without her family.  She didn’t know that her grandparents had readily agreed to this stipulation when Isabel had first mentioned attending Shinhwa with Gu InHei.  They wanted to do for Isabel and the rest of their grandchildren what they couldn’t do for JaeJoong.  Generally, during school breaks her family either came to visit or her grandparents and she flew to New York.  Many times she dragged InHei with her or InHei dragged Isabel on family vacations.  In short, the two were almost inseparable. 

The restaurant, located in Itaewon, had its share of locals as well as regulars but mostly non-Korean patrons.  The two lively girls laughing and chatting in the corner, Christoph, the owner, had never seen before.  They may be overprotected sweet family girls, but still young enough to enjoy the fashionable districts of Seoul.  Between working, studying, and family and Church activities they could be found shopping in Myeongdeong, listening to street music in Hongdae or eating or dancing in Itaewon.  In honor of Isabel’s trip to Athens, InHei dragged her friend out for Greek food.  Even if it was the best reviewed Greek restaurant in town, Monday nights were still slow for most restaurants and they practically had the entire place to themselves.  Except for InHei’s bodyguard who always followed at a discreet distance.

Not overly busy, Christoph’s assistant chef could handle that night’s small amount of orders single-handedly, leaving him to observe the beautiful girls in his restaurant.  One was obviously Korean but the other was foreign.  They conversed easily in Korean and then flipped back to English.

Having ordered way too much food (as usual) and chatting more than eating (also as usual), they’d hardly made a dent in their food.  “We need a beer!”  InHei realized they were only drinking water.  She wouldn’t see her friend for a week, this required alcohol.  She gave a pointed stare at their bodyguard, whom decided to finish his meal and wait outside.  This would take a while, he knew.  “Ajussi, jeogiyo!”  InHei called.

 - “Yes, miss?”  The server, fluent in English, came up to their table.

 - “Do you have a beer and wine menu?”

 - “Yes, Miss, I’ll be right back with it.”

 - “Boss, the ladies want the beverage menu.”

It was slow and Christoph was bored and who didn’t like talking to beautiful women. “I’ll take it to them.”

 - “Boss, you’re out of your league with those two.”  They didn’t act or dress any different than your average South Korean young person but he’d seen the blond (InHei liked to die her hair) glare at their other patron just for glancing their way.  Most Korean girls don’t mind a little flirting but he didn’t think these two would go for his boss’s overt flirting.

 - “Gwenchana,” Christoph winked at his server, giving him a friendly slap on the back.  With the beverage menu in hand, he approached the girls.  “Christoph Inmnida,” he tilted his head at them “My Korean is not that good, may I speak English?”

 - “Guerae…” InHei shrugged and smiled at him good-naturedly.

Christoph the charm “Here is our drinks menu, you’ll find wine on one side and beer on the other.”  Opening the menu, he propped it on the side of the table.  InHei would have grabbed for it but he stopped her by keeping his hand on menu.  “Mianhamnida, business first, pleasure second,” this earned him shy giggles from his two targets“I must see ID’s.  I don’t want to get closed down because I let minors order alcohol.”

 - “Tch...we’re not minors…” InHei rolled her eyes, reaching for her ID anyway.

 - “Thank you Miss Gu.  Her family name sounded familiar as did her face suddenly look like he’d seen it before but not being able to place from where, he turned his attention to Isabel“Miss Kim (she had dropped Garcia completely on moving to Korea) is American?”  That explained why she didn’t look Korean“A fellow traveler, I see.”

 - “Not really…,” Isabel answered a little shyly.  He was kind of handsome even if he looked a bit older.  “I’m attending the university here.”

 - “Not only are these beautiful ladies in my restaurant but they are also intelligent too.”  Isabel and InHei looked at each other and laughed.

 - “Ajussi…” InHei was about to ask for his suggestion.

 - “Ajussi…?”  He dramatically tapped his chest with his fist.  “Do I look that old?”

 - “Christoph, It’s not an age thing;” Isabel spoke up and immediately wanted to bite her tongue.  Perhaps then, she’d learn to keep quiet.

 - “If it’s not an age thing, Miss Isabel...would you mind if I refer to you as ajumma?”  Isabel continued to smile politely but crinkled her nose in cute displeasure at the idea.  She already felt like she looked so much older than her friend.

 - “Mollah...it’s not the same at all,” InHei said, saving her Unnie from embarrassment. Christoph-ssi...better?”

He smiled at the cute Korean girl. Deh...ahgassi.”  He matched her teasing tone.  “Now that I’ve verified your ages, what can I bring you?”

InHei was only a slightly better drinker than her mother and couldn’t handle much.  She scrutinized the menu trying to decide the lesser of the evils.

 - “InHei-ah, Christoph is waiting.  Just hand the menu to me.  InHei takes forever.”  Isabel had somehow inherited Jaejoong’s tolerance.  Not that she ever abused it. 

 - “Anihya…!”  InHei said, without lifting her eyes from the menu.

 - “I can give you two a few minutes and come back.  Your food will get cold.”

Isabel, being older, decided to take matters into her own hands.  Her friend took forever to make a decision sometimes“Thank you, Christoph, but perhaps you can recommend a beer-or-wine-to-finish-our meal-with?”  Isabel rambled her words together.  For some reason, Christoph’s direct gaze made her blush.  He really was handsome.

 - “It will be my pleasure.  What are we celebrating?”

 - “Oh!”  InHei suddenly jumped to life.  “Was Christoph-ssi born in Greece?”  InHei couldn’t quite place his accent.  He was a chef, he could be from anywhere.

 - “Yes, I was…?” He raised an eyebrow wondering what this was all about.

 - “My Unnie, here, is traveling tomorrow to your home country.”

 - “That’s splendid!”  He clapped his hands together.  This does call for celebrating! I’ll be right back.”

 - “Oh, Christoph-ssi, before you run off...?”  InHei stopped him “Please uncork or unbottle at the table.”

 - “Of course.”  Walking into his kitchen, his waiter smirked at him in passing.  Christoph rolled his eyes, a little offended.  Like he would try to drug a customer or ever take advantage of a woman.  What would his mother think?  He gave a shudder; she’d beat him over the head with a broom.

Making sure Christoph was out hearing range, Isabel leaned over.  “Omo...he’s kind of hot, no?”

 - “Mollah...doesn’t he look too old?  Our Appa-deul look younger.”

 - “Anihya…,” Isabel pouted.

 - “Here he comes, should we ask him his age?”

 - “Ani!!!” 

Isabel nearly jumped out of her seat as Christoph came behind her, setting a large beer and two mugs in front of them before letting his hand rest on the back of her chair.  “Your glasses are perfectly clean and free of any drugs or poison,” he said with an exaggerated Greek accent.  Giving Isabel a wink, she turned bright red.

 - “One can never be too careful these days,” InHei matched his teasing tone.

 - “This is a delicious Pale Ale from my country that will compliment your meal perfectly or what’s left of it, anyway.”

 - “I’ve never seen Greek beers.”  Not that the Gu princess knew much about beer; though at the ripe old age of twenty-two, she could compete with many sommeliers.  She just couldn’t handle more than a few sips “We worked all day and were hungry,” InHei dismissed the fact that they should have asked for their beer earlier.  “This will carry us through closing.  Christoph-ssi doesn’t mind if we stay all night does he?”

 - “No complaints, here.  Two beautiful ladies in my restaurant should boost my Monday evening sales.”

 - “Christoph, should have a drink with us,” Isabel said softly, blushing at the compliment.  Korean men didn’t usually give compliments.

 - “I’d be intruding on your meal.”

 - “Anihya…”  Isabel lowered her eyelashes and pouted her lips.  She didn’t think there was any harm in flirting and having a little fun.  It wasn’t like she planned on dating the man.

 - “Jeogiyo!”  InHei called the waiter over “Bring your boss a glass.”

Christoph looked at his waiter and shrugged.  “Why not?”

Once a glass was brought, Isabel poured for Christoph.  “Jjan!”  The two girls shouted, clinking their glasses with Christoph’s.

 - “Mm, choah!”  Isabel’s eyes widened in surprise after consuming a healthy gulp of the golden colored liquid.

 - “Deh...it’s light and crisp.  Very refreshing,” InHei observed.  “Christoph-ssi, kansamnida.”

 - “Anieyo gwenchanayo,” he inclined his head to leave“Enjoy the rest of your meal.”

Isabel immediately took her mirror out to check out Christoph’s retreating back.  “InHei-ah, can we really close out the restaurant?  Kwang Oppa (InHei’s bodyguard) won’t mind?”

InHei gave a quick glance out the window.  Nam Kwang had made himself invisible but she knew better than to think he wasn’t watching them from somewhere.  “Guerae, Unnie knows he’s like my shadow,” InHei rolled her eyes.

 - “Kwang Oppa is nice.  He doesn’t tell JunPyo Ajussi half the stuff you get into.”

 - “Mwo?!  We’re always at school or the clinic, and Church activities.  There’s no time to go anywhere!” 

 - “Late night shopping instead of going home after the clinic closes (when JanDi was off or working in another clinic), going your Uncle WooBin’s club…”  Isabel took a drink while thinking of other antics she and her friend got into without their parents knowing.  “Ah...there was the time we weren’t scheduled at the clinics because we were studying for finals but we went to Jeju for a day.”

 - “That was too study!”

Isabel laughed, remembering the day they’d gone with their classmates to “study” in Jeju.  In their defense, they did study solid at the airport, during the short flight there, and for about four hours more and then they hit the beach.  “Choah that I came to Seoul.”

 - “Chincha?”  InHei smiled happily, knowing she had talked her friend into coming.

 - “Deh...na wouldn’t get study sessions at the beach and who would have taken me to a Greek restaurant back home?”

 - “Greomyo!  And only your dongsaeng can get you backstage passes to Kpop concerts and the best seats at chukgu (soccer) games!”  The Gu name still had some clout.  InHei only used this power in dire emergencies.  Getting backstage at their favorite boy band’s concert qualified as a dire emergency.  As for Soccer, Jihoo still owned two stadiums and a soccer team.  The F4 had a free pass whenever they wanted.

 - “Greomyo, I chose my chingu well.  When JunPyo ajussi tries to marry you off to an associate’s handsome son, I’ll hide you at my house.”

 - “Appa wouldn’t dare!  Umma would be so furious at him she would most likely beat him or stab him to death.”

Isabel had just taken a sip of the beer and nearly spit it out at the mental image of Mrs. Guam beating the hell out of Mr. Gu.  The story of her famous spin kick to his jaw was a legend in the family.  Coughing and sputtering into her napkin, Isabel willed her breathing to go back to normal.  “Omo...don’t say things like that when I’m drinking!  You almost had to perform CPR right in front of you know…”

 - “Ajussi?”  InHei giggled.  Maybe Ajussi knows CPR and he would have rushed over and saved Unnie.”

 - “Andwae!!!”  Isabel hid her squeals behind her hands.

Christoph closed out the bill for some guests and looked over at his favorite table this evening.  He’d been hearing the continuous giggles coming from the corner table and decided to duck back into the kitchen.  Ten minutes later, he came out with a small tray, bearing desserts and ice cream.  “Yeoja - my compliments.”  He expertly stacked their empty plates and maneuvered the half-eaten plates neatly to one side.  Portokalopita (orange cake) is from my home of Crete and my most favorite of my Mama’s cooking.  So, if you’re in Crete tell her I can still make her portokalopita just like she taught me.”

 - “It smells yummy!”  Isabel dove in excitedly.  Her taste buds were in heaven.  It was sweet and orangey with a hint of spice from the cinnamon and so moist.  Isabel didn’t immediately swallow; she savored it like one would a glass of wine “Christoph!  This is delicious!  My Mama would love this.”

 - “It took Unnie long enough to swallow.  It’s not wine you know.”  InHei had been waiting for the verdict of Miss picky food critic to taste it.  Isabel loved to cook (way more than InHei) and eat but would still crinkle her nose at food that looked odd or she’d never had.  It was a miracle she’d consented to trying Greek food.  Taking a forkful past her lips, InHei’s first impression was the same as her friend’s“Omo-omo-omo!!  Jeongmal masisseo.”

 - “Christoph!  Is Crete very far from Athens?”  Isabel asked, hoping it wasn’t.

 - “Eight hours by ferry (Isabel frowned in despair) or one hour by plane.”

Isabel looked hopeful again“Oh...maybe Uncle WooBin will take us.”

 - “Your Mama Nane (Isabel’s maternal grandmother) can cook mostly anything; maybe we can find a recipe for her.”

 - “I could give Miss Isabel the recipe…”

 - “Really?”

Christoph smiled seeing the eager face before him.  Isabel’s eyebrows arched showing her sparkling chocolate eyes as they looked up at him excitedly while her lips were parted, ready to express her thanks.  He didn’t know why the next statement flew out of his mouth.  “Of course, that recipe is reserved for my future bride.  So, I’m afraid Miss Isabel would have to marry me first.”

Isabel’s face turned the same color red as the untouched tomato on her plate.  “Unnie should see her face!  Omo!!”  InHei laughed.  Christoph was grinning at the object of his teasing.  “Remember, I’m your maid of honor!  Omo!  We have to break the news to your appa!  Christoph-ssi, we’ll have to follow her to Athens, so you can speak to her Appa.”

 - “Yah!”  Isabel glared at her friend and the restaurant owner didn’t seem so “hot” anymore after his teasing.  Taking a deep breath and restoring her dignity, Isabel looked Christoph straight in the face, ready to call his bluff.  “Fine, I’ll accept your proposal; however, I must ask if you walk with Christ?”  Isabel smiled at him, still a bit flirtatious but also drawing the line.

Christoph was shocked at the girl’s answer to his teasing.  No one had bothered to ask him that except his Mother, of course “If Miss Isabel is asking if I attend Church, I must say no but I am faithful in my daily communication with God.  Mostly, I think he is scolding me for being such a wanderer.”

It was Isabel’s turn to be shocked.  He didn’t have to answer her“...prone to wander, Lord, I feel it ...” InHei mumbled an old hymn that she really enjoyed.  Taking out a business card (for the Church she and Isabel attended) from her purse, she handed it to Christoph.  “In that case, Christoph-ssi must come home and give my Unnie that recipe,” InHei bit her lip in amusement while Isabel’s boldness had left her and she buried her face in the beer glass.

Taking the business card with both hands, Christoph inclined his head“I just might visit home soon.  And perhaps someone will convince me to stay.”

Isabel was no longer enjoying this game of flirting as Christoph was staring right at her.  Her face felt like she was running a fever and she was sure it had nothing to do with the beer.  Taking a deep breath, Isabel focused her attention on the cake.  “Christoph,” she said softly.  “I swear we’re not drunk.  Forgive us if we’ve offended or overstepped our boundaries.”

 - “Christoph-ssi doesn’t think that, majayo?”  InHei was having fun at her friend’s expense but it didn’t seem that Christoph minded too much.

 - “Anieyo, no offense taken and no boundaries crossed.  It has been a complete joy to have you ladies in my restaurant this evening.  Miss Isabel, it’s my sincerest hope you will come back and tell me all about your trip.”

 - “Christoph is just saying that.”

 - “No...I would enjoy hearing about your travels.  Come in on a Monday again, when it’s not busy.”

 - “Deh!  We will!”  InHei answered for her friend who had suddenly lost her tongue.

 - “If you’ll excuse me, it’s almost closing.  Enjoy your dessert and I’ll bring boxes for your leftovers.”

InHei grinned at her friend.  “Christoph likes Unnie,” she mouthed to her friend.

 - “Anihya!”

 - “Unnie likes Christoph!”  Again InHei mouthed.

 - “Anihya!”

Christoph brought the check while the two girls glared at each other.  One smiling.  “Whenever you ladies are ready,” he smiled at them but didn’t linger hoping not to make Isabel uncomfortable again. 

Finishing their dessert and boxing their leftovers, InHei and Isabel walked up to the register.  They were the last ones in the restaurant and InHei handed Christoph her Black card“Christoph-ssi, kansamnida.  I think my Unnie is ready for her trip tomorrow.”

Christoph didn’t act any differently at the sight of the Black Card; the first one he’d ever seen in his restaurant.  Later, he’d begin fitting the pieces together and realize who Gu InHei was.   “Kalo Taksidi – It means have a nice trip.”  He handed the receipt to InHei and then handed an envelope to Isabel.  “Take this to your Mama but only if Miss Isabel promises to come back one day.”

Isabel peaked inside the envelope.  It was the recipe and InHei caught sight of it too.  “Don’t worry, she will.”

At that moment, Kwang decided to make his appearance.  “Gu Agassi, Kim Agassi,” he bowed to them.  “It’s time to go home before your parents get upset,” he gave a stony glare to Christoph.

 - “Oppa...we were just leaving,” InHei pouted.

Kwang had been watching Christoph flirt with the girls the whole evening.  He didn’t know what was in the envelope but he wanted to make sure the restaurant owner didn’t get any weird ideas“After you…” he opened the door and escorted them out.

 - “We’ll be back!”  InHei called out and Isabel managed a shy smile before Kwang was practically pushing them to the car.

 - “What was that all about?”  Christoph asked of his waiter.

 - “I don’t know but I think they weren’t your typical females.”

 - “Something tells me your right.  Perhaps the Black Card and bodyguard gave it away.”

 - “Told boss, he was out of his league with those two.”

In the car, Isabel smiled as she opened the envelope.  “That was very nice of him to give me the recipe.”

 - “I told Unnie he likes you.”

 - “Mollah!”

 - “There should be no talking about liking strangers, especially male,” Kwang scolded from the driver’s seat.

 - “Oppa missed it.  Unnie got a proposal.”

 - “Jaejoong Uissanim, I’m sure would never allow it nor would Kim Agassi’s Harabeoij."

 - “Deh...oppa.”  Isabel agreed just to keep him quiet.  He was as overprotective of her as he was of InHei.  Opening the envelope, she took out the recipe to read and was surprised to find a phone number at the bottom of the page.  Isabel gasped.

 - “What is it?”  InHei asked in concern.

 - “He wrote his phone number!”

Athens, Greece Monday Evening

 

 - “Castia!  Have the new linens I bought been placed on the beds in the guest house?”

 - “Yes, Ma’am.”

 - “The furniture cloths have been removed and the furniture dusted?”

 - “Yes, Ma’am.”

 - “Fresh flowers?”

 - “I’ll pick those up from the florist in the morning.”

 - “What else?”  JaeKyung tapped her foot while thinking.

 - “The bathrooms are stocked with all the best trial size hair and skin toiletries.  As well as fresh razor’s, shaving cream (his and hers), toothbrushes and toothpaste.  I will set out a basket of apricots, cheese, crackers, and a bottle of wine on their arrival.  I’ve set out travel brochures, and fashion magazines for Mrs. Kim and her daughters.  Oh, I’ve also, set out fresh nail clippers and emery boards.”

 - “You’re the best, Castia!  Are you sure you won’t come with us to Seoul?”

 - “No, Ma’am, thank you for the offer but my family is here.”

 - “Umma, don’t worry, we still have time to convince her and Nicholas to come with us,” HaNa walked into the guest house.  They were no strangers to hosting guests but her Mother always acted like it was her first time.

Castia laughed at her young miss “Miss Hana, how is my husband supposed to drive when he doesn’t know the language or the roads?”

 - “He can just be our butler and Appa’s valet.  Harabeoji Song has plenty of drivers,” HaNa was just like her Mom with her “nothing is impossible” attitude.

Castia shook her head.  “Is there anything else, Ma’am?  I need to prepare dinner.”

 - “Dinner!”

 - “I have twenty pounds of shrimp reserved for tomorrow morning and I’ve already been to the butcher for lamb chunks.”

 - “Castia, you’re daeback!  I’ll double your salary if you come with us?”

 - “I’ll call Ma’am and Miss once dinner is ready,” Castia left the guest house, grinning to herself.  If she wasn’t careful, they would convince her and Nicholas to leave their children and grandchildren to live in Seoul with them.

 - “Umma, we always have guests over.  Why are you freaking out over Imo Abigail and Ajussi Jaejoong?”

 - “Mollah...this is the first time your Imo Abigail is coming and I want her to really have a nice week.  And Isabel study’s so hard and then spends all her free time at the clinics with Imo JanDi, she needs a break.  Perhaps JaeIn can sleep in your room and Isabel can have the room to herself, to rest.  Well...no, it’s not like she lives in a hostel.  I’m sure she’ll want to catch up with her dongsaeng.  HaJun will probably want JaeWon to share his room.”  JaeKyung was quiet for a second when another thought crossed her mind.  “We’ll have to have a huge celebration on their last day to pre-celebrate their wedding anniversary and Isabel’s birthday.”

 - “JaeWook Oppa’s birthday was in June,” HaNa blurted out and then wanted to kick herself. 

 - “Yes...too bad they didn’t come earlier, we could have celebrated all of their birthdays.”  JaeKyung didn’t notice the slip as she was still roaming around the guest house checking and double checking that everything was in order“Mollah how we thought of asking them to come but I’m so excited!”  She took HaNa’s hands and twirled around with her until they broke apart dizzy and laughing.  “I have to wake Appa for work.  You know how long that takes.”

 - “Gueraeyo, as if Umma doesn’t enjoy cuddling with Appa until he “wakes” up.”  HaNa had accidentally walked in on them once.  Her Umma and Appa hadn’t come down after Castia had already called them all for dinner.  HaNa had gone to call them again and their bedroom door was slightly open.  Hearing voices, though not able to understand what they were saying, she poked her head in.  Her Appa was hovering over her Umma and devouring her neck with kisses.  She didn’t see anything else as she ran back down the stairs, announcing that Umma and Appa would be late.

 - “Yah!  My ahga is getting too smart.  And besides…Umma and Appa are married and can cuddle all we want.”

 - “Umma...when did you know Appa was the one you wanted to “cuddle” with?”

JaeKyung stopped surveying the room to face her daughter “HaNa-yah, don’t you think you’re too young to be thinking about “cuddling” with anyone other than your friends at sleepovers or your stuffed animals?”

 - “Lots of girls at school have boyfriends…”

JaeKyung sighed.  Of course, the world was fast.  The things she was doing at 19 were now common among preteens.  Her daughter wanting to date at fifteen, was considered late.  “Is there someone you like?”

 - “Gwenchanayo?”

 - “Mollah...we’re leaving soon.  Ara it’s possible to have a long distance relationship hajiman Na won’t say it’s easy.”

 - “Alguesubmnida Umma, na would still like to try.”

 - “Deh...dtal deserves to find love, hajiman na don’t want you to rush because everyone else is dating and settle for second best.”

 - “Deh, Umma.”

An alarm went off on JaeKyung’s smart watch “Jagi...na have to wake up Appa.  Mollah if neaga the best person to talk to.  I’m positive your Imo Abigail or Nona, Ilana would be better at this.”

 - “Anieyo, Umma is daeback!”

JaeKyung hugged her daughter“Gomawo, dtal is daeback too.  We’ll talk later or if you want to talk with your Imo-duel, gwenchana.”

 - “Deh...kayo, Umma knows how long it takes Appa to wake up.”

 - “Aigoo...brat…!”  Her mother grabbed throw pillow and swatted her daughter with it before heading back to the main house.

Monday Morning, Los Angeles, CA

In a meadow, surrounded by snowcapped mountains, HaEun tuned her instrument to the twittering of goldfinches and starlings.  Just like a Disney princess, her audience of meadow creatures such as deer, rabbit, foxes, and even fluffy tailed skunks sat patiently waiting for the concert to begin.  Placing the bow to the violin strings, instead of a sweet tune for her furry friends, a jarring sound was heard echoing throughout the meadow, scattering all her friends.  HaEun sat up with her heart pounding.  The jarring sound was coming from her phone’s video messaging app.  InSo and his family had given her the latest phone, from their line, for her birthday.  She had been too busy with ballet, school work, her instrument, and of course, chatting with her friends, to finish customizing it.  The default messenger app ringtone was blaring.  Fumbling, half asleep, she answered.  “O-pppaaa!!  It’s 5 A.M!”  Tucking the blanket around her, she glared sleepily at the very awake face of her best friend.

 - “HaEun-ah!  He called you too?!”  JeongHee had been in the middle of painting and had just joined the video chat“Mianhae!  I didn’t know or I would have talked him out of it.  Or at least tried!  Yah!  InSo-ah!  Wae are you waking HaEun in the middle of the night?!  And...disturbing my painting time?”  Between nine and ten at night, her family dispersed into their various activities, making it easy for her to sneak off and paint.

 - “We have an emergency.  I need HaEun to hop on the first flight to Seoul, so that we can travel to Athens as soon as she arrives.”

 - “Mwo?!  Oppa, did something happen to Unnie?”

 - “InSo-ah...what do you know that we don’t.  Palli?”  JeongHee was already removing her painting smock and HaEun too was getting out of bed, and grabbing her robe.  Wrapping herself in the lightweight cotton robe to preserve her modesty, HaEun took one quick glance at her still dead-to-the-world sister and headed downstairs.  Not wanting to expose too much of her just woken state to InSo, she made her way to the kitchen instead of the large screens in their classroom or media room.

 - “Jankanmanyo, I’m going to the kitchen,” HaEun told her waiting friends.

 - “Niña (Child)?  A qué se debe este milagro (To what do we owe this miracle)?

 - “Buenos días, Nana (Good morning, Nana),” she gave Nana a hug and kiss before lifting her phone in front of Nana’s face.  “Say good morning to Nana, guys.”  

 - “Halmoni!  Annyeong hashiminika!”  InSo and JeongHee waved.

 - “Buenos dia...no...noches, niños (Good morn...no...night, kids)Voy a terminar de preparar el desayuno (I’m going to finish preparing breakfast),” Nana turned back to her favorite duties; preparing breakfast for her family.  At 95, she still rose early every morning for 6 A.M. mass but before that she would mix eggs and fresh pancake batter or some other delicious treat to break their fast.

HaEun poured herself a glass of water and sat at the kitchen table.  “Oppa...obviously HaNa Unnie is fine as you’re not in a hurry to say anything.”

 - “I didn’t say she wasn’t.  I just said we needed to go over there.”

 - “InSo-ah, you’re not making sense,” JeongHee said.

 - “InHei Noona was complaining that Isabel Noona was going to Athens with her family and she’d be bored all alone for the week.  Why does JaeWook get to go and we don’t?  And why didn’t Noona tells us, her best friends?!”

His two friends groaned“Oppa woke me up because JaeWook Oppa is going to Athens and you’re not?”  HaEun complained.  “Not to mention that he’s going with his family?”

 - “Deh...Ara we have a Shinhwa resort somewhere in Greece.  I think WooBin Ajussi has one of his clubs there.  It’s one of the few countries where he has two.  HaEun-ah just needs to get here and then we’ll all go together.”

 - “That sounds like fun!!!  Oooh, I’ll take my painting supplies!  All the years they’ve been there and Umma and Appa never took me to visit.  Only they got to go!”

 - “Maja!”  InSo agreed.

 - “Oppa...na have class in a little under three hours,” HaEun complained and began searching her phone for flights.  “The next flight to Seoul is at noon.  Oppa wants me to pack and get to the airport by eight and get umma and appa to agree?”

 - “Oh…”  InSo saw nothing absurd about the entire thing.

 - “HaEun-ah...you and I can sleep with HaNa and InSo can sleep in HaJun’s room,” JeongHee was already planning.

 - “Mollah...Appa and Umma will never go for it.”  HaEun began thinking of all the things she had to do and why she couldn’t just pick up and go to Greece for a week or however long.  “Na can’t miss ballet and KyuHa is testing for his 1st Dan Black Belt...and...and ara Appa will say no!”  Her rational side would never agree to this scheme, even though a tiny part of her would love to show up to surprise her friend.

 - “Appa will say yes if it’s with InSo and HaEun,” JeongHee said with confidence.  All the parents liked HaEun and it wasn’t like the Shinhwa heir would be able to leave the country without all possible precautions in place.

 - “That settles it,” InSo said“Now I just have to reserve the plane from Appa.”

 - “Na didn’t say I could go!” HaEun cried out in frustration.

 - “Gongju only muttered something about ballet and taekwondo.”

 - “Ohhh!!  I just thought of something!”  JeongHee was clapping her hands together, excitedly.  JaeWook Oppa is officially going to ask WooBin ajussi if he can date her!  Eeehhhh!!!  I’m so excited!”

 - “All the more reason, she needs us there,” InSo said.

 - “Mollah…” doubt was kicking into HaEun’s head again.  “Hokshina we shouldn’t interfere.  Na don’t want to get in trouble with Imo and Ajussi for knowing ahead of time, that they were dating.”

 - “Na agree with InSo.  Unnie needs us.”  Leave it to the hopeless romantic to think it was a good idea witnessing someone else’s love confession “I gotta tell Umma and Appa, annyeong!”  JeongHee left the chat.

 - “Deh...na have to make sure the plane is available.  Send me your flight info as soon as you get it,” InSo also left the chat.

 - “Guys, wait!”  HaEun, placed her phone on the table and folded her arms on the table, resting her head on top while about not being able to go.  She remained in that position trying to think of a solution.  Did she want to go or didn’t she?  She could think of a thousand reasons she couldn’t go but that didn’t mean she really didn’t want to go or did it?  “Mollah...mollah...mollah!”

Jihoo walked into the kitchen in time to hear his daughter groaning.  “Gongju?”

 - “Appa!”  She quickly stood to greet him.  “Annyeong hashiminika!”  Quickly, inclining her head in respect.

Jihoo walked up to her, wrapping his arms around her.  “Gwenchana?  Wae is nae gongju up so early?”

 - “InSo called…,” her unamused tone of voice made him chuckle.  Other than the two youngest, the two oldest valued their sleep.  “Hajiman...Appa is going to work so early?”  She hadn’t been on the chat that long, so it couldn’t be much later than 5:30.

 - “Just coming in.  Na was on call last night.  Na just wanted a glass of water.  I’m going up to sleep a little longer before heading to the clinic.  That’s if Umma and Joy have left me room on the bed.”

 - “Aww, poor appa,” as they were still standing, she stepped into him giving him a hug and lingered for a moment.  “Appa smells yummy.”

 - “I had the impression I smelled like antiseptic soap.  Joy crinkles her nose at me whenever I come from the hospital.”

HaEun laughed “Anieyo...appa smells…” she sniffed at his collar.  “...just like appa.”

This time Jihoo laughed.  His wife had been trying to coin his scent since they first started dating and now his daughter did too “Do I need to visit a chemist to make Umma and dtal a perfume that smells just like me?”

 - “A-pppaaa…” she shook her head at his silliness.  “Appa’s scent without appa is not the same!”  She gave him a stern look, making him smile.  “Oh!  Appa, your water.  Let me pour it for you.”  A carafe of water was always on the kitchen table.  She poured a glass and handed it to him.

 - “Gomawo,” he downed the cup and walked it to the sink to rinse“I’m going upstairs, is dtal coming?”

 - “Deh…”  HaEun bit her lip, not unnoticed by Jihoo.

 - “What did InSo want?”  Jihoo wrapped his arm around her back.

HaEun leaned into her appa, marveling at how he just understood her without her even opening “Mollah...he has this idea in his head.”

 - “Mmm…”  Since the boy was his parent’s son, he was sure the idea was a grand affair. 

 - “Appa...na...wouldn’t-be-able-to-visit-Unnie, would I?”

 - “Umma and I can’t just pick up and go.  Gongju knows that.”

 - “Greomyo, Appa, it’s just that...InSo wants to make a trip with JeongHee and I.  Na would need to get to Seoul so we could take the Shinhwa plane.”

Jihoo nodded in contemplation.  "Wae does InSo suddenly want to visit HaNa?”

At least her appa always listened and let them explain all the way through before giving an answer “He found out from InHei Unnie that the Kim’s from New York are going to visit this week.  He thought we should go too.”

They were now at the top of the stairs, Jihoo knew his eldest was not in the least bit impulsive.  She had already been weighing the pros and cons and was most likely only asking to say that she did.  Not because she expected him to say yes.  “Gongju, na don’t want you traveling alone just yet.  Ara, InSo is expecting you to jump on the first airplane out there hajiman Na think we’ll wait and see what his parents say.  If I know your Imo, it won’t happen without a fight.  Besides, won’t it make it more difficult for JaeWook and HaNa to tell their parents they are dating, if the three of you are hanging around?”

 - “Appa?!  How did you…”

 - “It’s not that difficult to see they’ve been flirting with each other since Spain.  If I noticed, I’m sure your uncle WooBin did too.”  He smiled at his stunned daughter.  “Get some more rest before breakfast and classes.”

 - “Appa needs to get rest too.”

 - “Deh…”  Stepping into the master bedroom, Jihoo stripped down to his boxer briefs.  The good thing about being on call, was he dressed much more casually.  In Southern California there was no dressing for the season, it was almost always summer.  Cotton pants were acceptable all year round.  The pants and a linen or denim shirt with the sleeves rolled up was his preferred style for when he received an emergency call.  As foreseen, his wife had taken over his spot and the cat was practically on top of her back.  “Joy-ah...unless you want to get sandwiched, I suggest you move to your own bed.”  Once he sat on the bed and rolled over to his wife’s side, the cat left in a huff before his arm draped over her waist.  Automatically, Ilana sunk into him and her eyes immediately opened, sensing the not unwelcome disturbance“Annyeong,” he tightened his hold on her and kissed her cheek, seeing her eyes open.

 - “You’re home!”

 - “Mmm, should I just leave for the office again or stay like this.”

 - “Na was just going to get up to check emails…”

 - “Ah, deh...with your eye’s closed.”

 - “Maja!  Anyway, I think emails can wait, what does Sarang think?”  She reached back to caress his face “Pigonhaeyo?”

 - “Deh...hajiman...naega awake now and Na don’t see a reason wae Na should let you out of this bed.  Na can take a nap later.”  He prevented her scooting away, “scandalized” by his boldness by slipping one leg in between hers.  He grazed his lips on her wrist for a second before giving it a nip and then giving her neck the same treatment.  While he distracted her with his damp kisses on her neck, his fingers raked slowly up her tummy and down again and then repeating the process reaching further up each time.

 - “Sarang…” unable to resist, she arched her neck allowing him better access.  Her foot unconsciously rubbed against his leg, using it as leverage while she pressed her body further back into him.

 - “Mmm…” His voice vibrated nicely down her body.  There was something about tending to emergencies in the middle of the night that made him need to make love to her, no matter how tired he was.  He passed his hand softly over the swells of her s and up to her neck, lifting himself over her, he pressed his lips to hers.  With nothing to lean against she ended up on her back under him.

Ilana detected a hint of a smile as her husband consumed her lips “What’s that all about, hmm?”  She slowed their kiss a little to tease his lips with her finger.  He caught the tip of it with his teeth, pressing just enough to cause her a slight discomfort.  Gasping, she withdrew her finger but he captured her arm to trail damp kisses along the faint blue lines of the veins on her inner forearm.

 - “Saranghae…” he’d had his way with her forearm and was giving similar treatment to the other side of her neck.

 - “Nado saranghae…” she drew an inward hiss as he lowered one of the straps of her nightgown and was teasing one by drawing little circle patterns over the entire smooth and doughy flesh but avoiding the sensitive peak.  “Choah this nightgown, Sarang.”

 - “Wae?  She whispered.  With his voice vibrating down her body and his tongue swirling naughtily along her pulse point, her strength was weakening and couldn’t project her voice past a whisper.

He didn’t answer at once but continued his assault on her neck for a few seconds more before moving slowly down the line to shoulder with a little bite and continuing on to the swells of her , then back up to the hollow of her neck and when she thought for sure she’d melt from his teasing his thumb finally came into contact with the sensitive bud he’d been avoiding and he cradled the back of her head in his hand.  When she gasped at the pleasurable sensations his thumb was causing, he took advantage of and tongue.  was warm and soft and he knew just the right pressure with which to make her whimper against him.  Ending the kiss, he nuzzled his face against hers “Choah this nightgown because…” again he with his smile and grazed the tip of his fingers along her shoulder and down her arm, toying with the thin strap of the gown.  There was nothing fancy about the blue heather gown.  It was soft cotton and comfortable, it hugged her body in a way he could definitely appreciate but the thin straps slid down her shoulders very nicely which he currently did to the other side and slowly kissed his way down to her chest and newly exposed s“Choah this nightgown because it makes this so much easier.”

It was way past the time Ilana should have been up and checking emails but making love to with her husband was also of utmost importance.  “Sarang...we need to get up,” Ilana said, not moving anyway.

 - “Mmm…”  Jihoo didn’t move.

 - “If my phone rings, how am I supposed to answer in this state?”  Her nightgown and underwear was somewhere on the floor or scrunched at their feet, under the sheet, as were his boxers.

 - “As long as Sarang doesn’t answer a video call, she’ll be fine.”

 - “Oh, you!”  She poked him in the ribs, knowing he’d only retaliate.  He immediately began to tickle her until she was shrieking with laughter and begging him to stop.  He did once she almost fell off the bed trying to get away.

 - “Mian-mian-mian...gwenchana?”  He hooked his arm around her waist, dragging her back into his protective arms, preventing her fall.

 - “Mmm,” she answered, still chuckling.  “Sarang...it’s almost eight.  We need to get up."

 - “Five more minutes,” he groaned into the top of her head and cuddling her closer.

 - “Deh...where have I heard that before?  Ah, deh...your oldest children.”  The two youngest slept hard but they were both morning people and had no issues getting up at the appropriate time.  Ilana studied her husband’s face.  The lips were amused yet it didn’t fully reach his eyes “Sarang, how was your patient when you left?”

He sighed, “stable.  Na have suggested acupuncture but he says at his age, he’s just ready to go.”  Jihoo had been studying more and more about alternative medicine, especially Eastern.

 - “Mian…”

 - “Gwenchana...he’s not given up entirely, just made peace with the season he’s in.  We’ve prayed together a few times, and Pastor Jonathon has visited with him too.  Na just want to do something for him, anything...even if it’s experimental.  Experimental studies helped Harabeoji live a longer and fuller life.”  Ilana would have said something but he continued.  “Alguesubnida not everyone wants to risk the unknown and would rather live a shorter life but enjoying each day at its fullest.  Then when the day comes they can no longer do that, they lie down peacefully and never wake up on this earth again.”  Ilana bit her lip and broke eye contact with him.  It had been sixteen years since she attempted to take her life.  The Lord had taken the shame away and forgave her for her foolishness but she’d be lying if it didn’t prick her conscious to hear her husband talk about someone living the little time they had left to the fullest and then laying down peacefully.

 - “Sarang, where did you go?”

 - “Mian, just being grateful for the years we had with Harabeoji.”  This wasn’t a lie, she was happy that he remained faithful to himself until the end“Hajiman...if Na have a million emails by now, I’m going to have to fly out to Seoul just to avoid reading them all.”

 - “Ah!  Speaking of flying...Our gongju wants to go to Athens with her friends.”

 - “Mwora?”

 - “Na have not given my consent,” he grinned at his wife’s wide-eyed stare.  If by some miracle JanDi let’s InSo take the Shinhwa plane, much less leave the country, I said I’d consider.  There’s also YiJung; JeongYul living in France is one thing but his teenage daughter traveling on her own...I don’t know...I expect a phone call from them by morning and I’ll have to be the one to decide.”  Ilana looked worried“Gwenchana,” he brought her face down to his (she had sat up abruptly earlier).  "If the miracle happens, we’ll have to give our consent and pray without ceasing.  Bpo and then Sarang needs to get up or I’ll be tempted to call in.”

Monday night, Seoul, South Korea

 - “A-ppa!  Wae anieyo?!”  JeongHee stamped her foot, angrily.  Never having been denied anything, she didn’t see why her Father was doing so now.  “Doesn’t Appa trust me?”

He’d heard teens liked to use that line but never having used it himself or heard it up to now.  He found it somewhat amusing.  “Does dtal really want an answer to that?”  YiJeong half-smiled at her mini-tantrum.  It was true they’d never really denied her anything but she’d never asked to leave the country either.

 - “A-ppa?!  Chinchayo?  Appa doesn’t trust me?”  JeongHee was angry and hurt.  Despite finding the scene a little amusing, her hurt face and the angry tears beginning to trickle down her face tugged at his heart.  He stopped the pottery wheel and wiped his hands.  She looked at him almost warily as if he was going to hit her (like he ever had).  Her disappointed and weary eyes was too much and he pulled her into a hug despite her protesting.  “Appa annchoayo!”

 - Deh...deh…, don’t make appa sad.  Na was a teenager once, deh?”

 - “Gueron?”

 - “Gueron?  Na was a teenage boy with no adult supervision and no one to love me enough to tell me “no”.”

 - “Ihae mothamnida (I don’t understand).”

 - “JeongHee-yah, Na was everything but a saint and the world now, is even crazier than when I was growing up.”

JeongHee groaned against her dad’s shoulder“Appa, that’s what all the parents say!”

 - “Call me overprotective, call me a jerk, even if you tell me you don’t like me but it doesn’t change that I want to protect you from guys like me.”  YiJeong pulled away only to place his hands on her shoulders.   “Hajiman, unlike a true scoundrel, I didn’t go around seducing innocent girls...except your Umma,” he placed his thumb on his chin in thought.

 - “Appa?!”

 - “Anieyo...na think it was the other way around,” he tried to break the serious mood.

 - “A-ppaaa!  I’m telling Umma!”

YiJeong laughed at the horrified face she was making“Mariyah (just saying), Na don’t want to risk some unscrupulous namja or yeoja (he shuddered), getting any crazy ideas about kidnapping nae agah for their sick pleasure.  Or what if some lunatic decides to kill as many people and himself for the sake of his god?”

 - “Appa, chinchayo, you’re overreacting.”

 - “Na wish I were.  JeongHee knows, maja?  What happened to HaEun’s Umma?  And she was just a little older than you.”  JeongHee lowered her head and nodded.  YiJeong lifted her face to look at him.  “JeongHee-yah, Appa isn’t trying to frighten you.”

He could read the question in her eyes.  “You’re not?”

 - “Anieyo...Na just want you aware of wae we’re protective with you girls.  No one but your Umma cared to tell me Na was wrong.  My daughter’s won’t grow up wild and doing what they want not caring for what’s right or wrong and na won’t risk you getting caught up in someone’s evil plan because na was so caught up in my own thing I didn't care enough to protect you.  Na faith isn’t as good as yours or Umma’s hajiman I do pray and Na ask God to make me worthy of him hearing my prayers.  Na pray for JeongYul, JeongJa, and you to grow up loved, happy, safe, and to have an actual childhood.  Na want you to dream as many dreams as you want.  When dtal is grown and wants to study painting with a master in Paris or in Argentina, gwenchana, Na will support you.  Even if dtal decided a week later you hate it...hajiman just not in going to Greece alone with two other fifteen-year-olds.”

 - “Alguesubnida Appa hajiman InSo is a Taekwondo Ee Dan (2nd Dan Black Belt).”  She did understand but she’d gotten herself all excited about this trip and really wanted to go.

YiJeong smiled sadly at her“Deh...hajiman, can he keep both you and HaEun safe at the same time?  That’s even assuming Jihoo has said “yes”, which I highly doubt.”

 - “Will Appa think about it?”

YiJeong nodded.  Yaksokhae...hajiman jagi has to abide by my decision.”

 - “Deh, Appa.”  Her face was smiling again.  Her Appa was fair and if he said he’d think about, she trusted him.

 - “Na don’t want to hear anymore until tomorrow evening.”

 - “Deh, Appa.  Kansamnida, Appa,” she gave him a quick bow and ran off to her room to text InSo.

YiJeong sat back down at his work table.  How was he supposed to bring this up to GaEul?  Sure, JunPyo, WooBin, Jihoo, and he got on a plane and traveled the world whenever they felt like it but the world was a less dangerous place, wasn’t it?  Not really but he’d tell himself that “JeongYul was so much easier to raise,” YiJeong sighed.

 

It was still early, only around 22:00; his parents should still be awake in their room; hopefully, not doing anything that didn’t merit interruption.  Stopping outside their door, he pressed his ear to their door.  If it was quiet, then he was in trouble.  If not, then he stood a chance.  Luck was on his side as he heard laughter coming from the other side of the door.

JunPyo and JanDi were in sitting on the couch in their suite, watching a drama.  She wore a blue and white cotton long-sleeved shirt that buttoned down the front and matching shorts with an elasticized drawstring waistband.  JunPyo wore black Egyptian cotton lounging pants and no shirt.  “That’s just like JanDi!”  He shouted at the television.  They were watching a drama.  “The guy is head over heels for her why can’t she see that?”

 - “And that guy is just like you.  Insufferable and overbearingly arrogant, how can she see anything but…?”

 - “Yah!  If she doesn’t have time to open her eyes and mouth (should be nose), then how can she see that he’s really sincere and just doesn’t know how to express himself?”  It was the same with most dramas, JanDi took the female lead’s side while he always took the side of the male lead.  Inevitably they’d end up quarrelling more than watching.

JanDi opened to argue but closed it trying to figure out what idiom her husband was actually trying to say.  He knew several languages but he couldn’t remember simple Korean idioms.  “She’s not a mind reader?  She’s just a normal girl trying to live day by day.  If he acts like an arrogant jerk, how’s is she supposed to think he’s anything else?”

 - “She’s supposed to be the kind and selfless one, she should be nice to him anyway.”

 - “Give me one good reason why she should when his…”

 - “Abeoji!  Umma!  May I come in?”  InSo knocked on their door, loud enough for them to hear over their bickering.

 - “Oh?  Adul?  Yah...put on your robe,” she told her husband.

 - “Wae?!  It’s only adul?  Weren’t we just out at the beach together shirtless?”

 - “Oh, Gu JunPyo, stop arguing!”  JanDi threw him his robe and grabbed her matching robe as well, tying it while walking to the door.   “Adul?  Is something wrong?”

 - “Anieyo, I need to ask Abeoji something.”

 - “Adul, what is it?”

InSo walked in and jumped on the couch they had just vacated.  “Ugh...Noona talks about this drama all the time.”  He shook his head in disgust.  “Na can’t believe Abeoji watches this stuff too.”

 - “Yah...I’m keeping Umma company like a good nampyon.”

 - “My anae can watch drama’s on her own time.  When we’re home that’s going to be our time.”

JunPyo bit his lip, not to laugh .  His son would one day learn that “our time” is anything his wife says it is, even if it means watching dramas“Wae?!”  JanDi caught the smirk on his face.

 - “Anihya!”  JunPyo jerked to attention.  “What did adul need to talk about?”

 - “Ah, I need the plane to visit HaNa Noona in Athens?  Juseyo?”

 - “Mwo?!”  JanDi stared at her son as if he’d sprouted two heads.

InSo didn’t understand why his Mother was overreacting.  It was a simple request."  “Deh...Abeoji won’t be traveling in the week will he?”

 - “Yah, adul can’t just come in here asking for the plane as if you were asking to go to a movie?”

 - “Ah, mianhae abeoji, it just came up.  Do I need to find a commercial flight?”

 - “Adul!  There is no way adul is taking the company plane to Greece?”

 - “Then I need to find a commercial flight?”  Again, he asked.

 - “Adul isn’t going anywhere!  Who does adul think he is?  What about school?”

 - “Umma, it’s summer vacation.”

 - “Ah, deh...what about your swim students?”

 - “I already gave my last lessons for the season.  I wanted free time the last week before school starts.”

 - “Hajiman…”

 - “Umma?  Wae anieyo?”

 - “Adul can’t just decide to go to Greece, just like that!”  JanDi frowned and shook her head in agitation “Namja!  Your Noona would never have asked us for such a thing.”

 - “Noona, noona, noona...is Noona your only child?!”

 - “Yah!”

JunPyo stepped in before she could grab his ear. “Adul, Umma didn’t mean anything by that comment.  Hajiman adul has caught us off guard, here.  Have you told uncle WooBin you’re coming?”

 - “Anieyo, JeongHee, HaEun, and I were going to surprise them,” his eyes lit with excitement.

 - “Adul...na can’t let you travel alone with just the yeoja?”

 - “Na have my Ee Dan (2nd Dan Black Belt), Na can protect them.”

 - “Sunbae will never approve of HaEun going along with this scheme?!”  JanDi yelled. What will he and Ilana think?  That we just let our son do anything he wants?!  Omo!  Omo!  Sunbae will be angry with InSo, they’ll never let HaEun talk to him again.  Na told HaEun never to do anything to jeopardize their friendship but what if Adul is the one that ruins everything?”  JanDi was pacing the length of their room, mumbling to herself in worry.

JunPyo took a deep breath“JanDi-yah!  Calm down.”

 - “Gu JunPyo...how dare you tell me to calm down!”

 - “Na dare because getting overworked isn’t going to solve anything?”

 - “Gu JunPyo is just going to hand the plane over to a fifteen-year-old?  Might as well give him the keys and tell him to fly it himself too.”

 - “Planes don’t have keys,” JunPyo mumbled. “Anieyo, anieyo…” he expected her eyeballs to go flying out of her skull and beat him at any moment. Jeongmal, let’s just hear adul out.  The namja and I went all over the world by ourselves, so it’s not that crazy of an idea.”

 - “Not that crazy of an idea?  Gu JunPyo, normal fifteen-year-olds don’t just travel the world on their own unless they’ve been kidnapped!  And the F4 didn’t have parents worrying over them!”  JanDi’s chest was heaving, she was so worked up.

InSo looked a little frightened of his Mom.  What if she gave herself a ?  He knew basic first aid and CPR; seeing his Mom’s phone on the charging pad, he was trying to think which of the doctors at the clinics had a specialty in cardiology.  “Umma, wae don’t I bring you some tea and we can talk about this in the morning.  Anyway, HaEun hasn’t called me to say she was on her way, yet.”  InSo began to get up.

 - “Adul, stay right there!  Adul has already contacted HaEun and JeongHee?  Is Adul trying to shame his parents?”

 - “Mollan anjii (Of course not)!  Wae would I?”

 - “JanDi-yah...we’re never going to come to a solution if…”

 - “If what...Gu JunPyo…”

 - “Aishhh...if JanDi doesn’t let him talk?!”

 - “What’s there to talk about?!”  She shrieked.  “Don’t tell me you’re actually considering this scheme?”

 - “Umma, it’s not a scheme!”

 - “Omo...Na can’t imagine what Sunbae and Ilana or YiJeong and GaEul are thinking right now.  Perhaps that adul wants to seduce their daughters or cause them to rebel against their parents by asking them to travel halfway around the world with him.  What if this gets WooBin and JaeKyung in trouble too?!  What if they think this was our idea?!”

 - “Umma!”

 - “JanDi-yah!”  JunPyo raised his voice, getting angry.  She stopped her tirade, feeling as if she’d been slapped.  Why was he angry with her   “JanDi-yah…” he said, with as much patience as he could muster.  Taking her by the wrist, he sat her back down, smoothing her hair.  She’d been pulling and tugging at it during her tirade that it suddenly looked as if birds had been trying to make a home out of it.  “Take a deep breath and let adul explain or you’re going to make yourself sick.”

 - “Hajiman…” she said, working her lip.

JunPyo sat down next to her and casually placed an arm around her shoulders, keeping her from jumping off the couch and strangling their son.   “Adul, start from the beginning, Juseyo.”

 - “Well, the Kim’s are going to visit this week…”

 - “KyuJong Uissanim?”  JanDi asked, though she was sure she would know if he wasn’t working that week.

 - “Anieyo, the Kim’s of New York.  Dtal was already complaining she would be missing Isabel for a week,” JunPyo suddenly remember his conversation with their daughter.

 - “Ah,” Jan Di nodded.  “Na didn’t get a chance to see the schedules for the week.”  In general, JanDi worked the main clinic barring the intervention of husband or Jihoo, when they decided she needed lighter duty.

 - “Na thought it would be fun if we all went.  We only got to visit their place once in the entire time they were there and wae should JaeWook have all the fun and bogoshipo HaNa Noona and it would be a great ending to our summer vacation. And HaEun should take a break, she never does!”  He shook his head, disappointed that his friend rarely took time off from school, only during their winter break.  “Abeoji...Umma, may we go, juseyo?  Na give swimming lessons on my free time and Umma makes us do chores on the weekend.  Na have excellent grades, better than InBok.  Maja, not as good as your favorite child (typical sibling rivalry) hajiman I’m still in the top five in my class.  Abeoji, I don’t think it’s fair that HaEun’s grades should be included with the rest of ours as she’s only attends for a few weeks every year.”

 - “Adul...focus,” JunPyo couldn’t help be amused at his son’s rambling.  He snuck a glance at his wife who still looked like she wanted to strangle him but at least her eyes were no longer ready to pop out.  “What did you say to the yeoja?”

 - “Amogotdoyo...just that JaeWook-ssi would be going to see HaNa and why should he have all the fun.  JeongHee Noona really wants to go and HaEun...well...she has to come with us.  Umma said we’re the new F4 so we need to do everything together.”

JunPyo looked at his wife with a “top that” look. 

 - “Yah...Na didn’t mean get into trouble together,” she huffed.

 - “Umma, what trouble can we possibly get into?”

 - “If you’re the new F4, I’m sure you’ll think of something.”

 - “JanDi-yah, adul has a point.  He works hard in school and is responsible enough to have a side job as swim instructor.  Na won’t be needing the plane this week, if everyone agrees, then what’s the harm in letting them go for a few days?"

 - “Umma...HaNa needs us!”

 - “Wae adul?  What can she possibly need you for when her Umma and Abeoji are there for her?”

InSo couldn’t say, “I need to make sure JaeWook is serious about her and not planning on having other girls on the side.”  He looked up at his Mother, grinning sheepishly, “Na thought she’d want us around since she’d have to entertain JaeWook Hyeong and JaeHyeon on her own since JaeWon & JaeIn are more HaJun and HaJin’s age.”  Plus if they were all there as witnesses, perhaps his Uncle WooBin wouldn’t decide to take JaeWook to his torture chamber for wanting to date his daughter.

 - “Andwae…”

 - “Eo-mma…”

 - “Adul, let me talk to Umma and let us talk to WooBin and the others.”

InSo wanted to protest but the “we’ll-talk-about-it later” look on his face meant get out while Umma wasn’t pulling his ear off.  “Deh Abeoji.  Annyeonghi jumuseyo (formal goodnight).”  He ran out of the room and down to the kitchen, suddenly hungry for a snack.  He’d have to make it himself.  They weren’t allowed to disturb the kitchen staff after hours.

Walking into the kitchen, he ran into his sister placing her leftovers in the fridge “Noona?!  Yah...where’d you get that…” he pointed the food containers.

 - “A Greek restaurant in Itaewon.  Isabel Unnie and I ordered way too much food.  What’s up?”

 - “Omo!  There’s a rat in the kitchen!”  InSo pointed to the corner of the kitchen opposite of the fridge.

 - “Where?!”  InHei dropped the bag and jumped onto the counter as if the rat would attack at any moment.  While she was distracted, InSo grabbed the bag of food and tried to sneak out of the kitchen.

InHei caught the movement from the corner of her eye.  “InSo-ah!  You ate dinner!!  That’s my lunch for tomorrow!”

 - “Begopahyo!  Umma is angry with me.  That makes me hungry.”

 - “Wae?  What did you do?”

 - “Amogotdo anieyo!  Na just asked abeoji if I could use the plane.”

 - “Mwo?  Micheosso?  No wonder Umma is angry with you?  Chincha?  Who do you think you are?”

 - “That’s what Umma said!  I’ve never asked before.  This is an emergency (Because he’d convinced himself of this).”

 - “Pfft...wae...there’s a robotics convention in Tokyo that nae namdongsaeng needs to go to.”

 - “Anieyo…;” he rolled his eyes at her.  “HaNa Noona needs us.”

 - “Wae?  They’re hosting the Kim’s this week.”

 - “Exactly!  Wae does JaeWook Hyeong get to go and we don’t?”

 - “Hmm...maybe because they were invited and we weren’t?  Isabel Unnie is going and you don’t see me demanding the plane.”

 - “Noona just doesn’t get it.”

 - “InSo-ah will get no sympathy from me.  I hate when Isabel Unnie leaves me for her family.  It’s so boring.  Although, if I’m lucky HyeSo Uissanim will schedule me with Emily Uissanim.  At least she and KyuJong Uissanim are fun to work with.”

 - “Who’s going to keep an eye on JaeWook Hyeong.”

 - “Wae?”

 - “Just because…”

 - “InSo-ah is scheming just like Umma does.”

 - “Am not!  And Umma doesn’t come up with crazy scheme’s,” he defended their mom.

 - “Deh…remember how she was convinced the government was spying on Appa?  She had Ajussi WooBin send armed bodyguards to ransack Shinhwa Corporation in search of any surveillance equipment that wasn’t ours?”

 -  “Andwaeyo!  Umma didn’t!”

 - “Umma was also was responsible for getting Harabeoji Yoon to send Ajussi Jihoo on blind dates before he finally married Ajumma Ilana.”

 - “Where have I been that I’ve missed all this?”

InHei shrugged.  “Not born yet.”

 - “Noona is very funny,” he gave her an annoyed look, reminiscent of JunPyo during his teen years.

InHei hopped down from the counter and took back her food.  “I’m telling Isabel Unnie that you don’t like her dongsaeng.”

 - “I never said that!”

 - “You implied.  If Na can’t go to Athens, neither can you,” she stuck her tongue and placed her food in the refrigerator.  “I’ll slice off your hair centimeter by centimeter if my food isn’t there in the morning.”  InHei grabbed a kitchen knife for emphasis and pointed it at her brother while walking backwards to the door.  “I mean it!”  She left the knife on the counter and ducked through the door.

 - “Ara, JunPyo is already thinking of letting him go.”

 - “JanDi-ah...let’s talk about this.”

 - “He’s sixteen (Korean years)!  He can’t even drive yet you’ll let him go to another country on his own?”

 - “Not on his own - with JeongHee and HaEun.”

 - “JunPyo...as much as our chingu love our InSo do you really think they’ll trust their daughters alone with no supervision?”

 - “Deh!  InSo is a perfect kid.  He’s kind, respectful, top of is class, talented, and has the best parents.  What more can they ask for?”

 - “Gu JunPyo, we let him go this once, he’ll be wanting weekends in-in the Caribbean next (the furthest place she could think of) or skipping school to go swimming in Jeju.”

 - “He won’t.  He’s not that impulsive.”

 - “Says his abeoji.”

 - “Ara nae adul, there is some other reason he wants to make this trip.”

 - “Deh, he’s jealous that Abigail-ssi’s boys will be hanging around his best friend and not him.”

 - “Anihya…”  His wife gave him the I-know-you-better-than-you-know-yourself look.

 - “Deh...didn’t you see how close JaeWook and HaNa were?  Adul is probably upset.  As if he’s losing one of his chingu.”

 - “No one in their right mind would turn their back on Shinhwa’s heir,” he crossed his arms challenging her to say otherwise.

 - “I did!”

 - “Hah!  And you came to your senses and married me.”

 - “That can be changed,” she glared at him.  She never could think straight when she got riled up and always fell for his teasing.

 - “Anieyo...our marriage contract is irrevocable.”  He quickly lunged for her, trapping her in his arms.

 - “Gu JunPyo!  You cheated!”  She struggled against his iron grip.

He kissed her beautiful mutinous face, despite her cursing and muttering.  “Pabo, you haven’t changed.  Anae is so quick to get all worked up.  I’m joking, deh?  Hajiman Na trust adul; he takes after his Umma.”  He gave her lips a soft kiss, now that she wasn’t fighting him.

 - “Gu JunPyo, eottokae?”  She was still worried.

 - “Na won’t allow InSo to show up unannounced on WooBin’s doorstep when they are already having company.  Let’s start with him first.  Deh?  If he says no, then it’s a no-go.”

 - “Arraso…”

JunPyo pulled her to sit back down“WooBin’s not awake yet, let’s finish the drama.”

Monday Evening Athens, Greece

 - “Yo, JunPyo.  I just stepped out of the shower!”  WooBin saw his phone flashing and quickly picked it up thinking there was an issue at the club.  He usually didn’t arrive until an hour after opening“I’d send you a picture but JanDi would get jealous.”

 - “Yah!  WooBin-ah!”  JanDi yelled.

 - “WooBin didn’t give me a chance to mention you were on speaker.”

 - “Wau, is this a formal call?  Sounds serious, let me get dressed.  You two talk, I’ll get dressed.  Wae are both of you calling me at...what is it - 1 AM over there?”

It wasn’t unusual for JunPyo to be up so late, still working and JanDi up keeping him company and going over patient files.  The clinics daily patients were primarily walk-ins but a good number were also scheduled.  Especially, the Woman’s clinic in which JanDi spent two days a week.  She just couldn’t completely leave Haraboji’s original clinic.  Yah, WooBin-ah, InSo is begging to visit, gwenchana?”

 - “Greomyo!  He and InBok?”

 - “Anieyo, JeongHee-yah and HaEun-ah want to go too.”

 - “Guerae!  Ara Dtal will be happy to see her chingu hajiman summer break is almost over.”

 - “Ara, that’s why adul wants to go.  Ara the Kim’s will be there soon.  Na think that’s the reason adul wants to go and convinced his other chingu.  Na can put in a call to the resort and have them stay there.”

 - “Anieyo...let me talk with anae, you know she won’t hear of the kids staying anywhere else.”

 - “WooBin-ah...jeongmal?  Gwenchana?”

 - “Guerae, wae anieyo?  YiJeong and Jihoo are good with this?”

 - “Mollah, adul just sprung it on us.  Anae is not all right.”  He grinned at her and she glared back at him.  She was sitting on the chair opposite of him.  They could have gone back to their bedroom to call but JunPyo just didn’t think he could have a serious discussion with his friend while in bed with his wife.

 - “Yah!  JanDi-yah!  Don’t trust me with InSo?”

 - “Anieyo!”  JanDi lowered her head, embarrassed.  It wasn’t a video call but WooBin was sure his friend’s wife was blushing.  “It’s just...he’s too young to be jumping on a plane to go out of the country by himself.”

 - “Yah...JanDi-ah...we did it all the time and we turned out alright?”

 - “He’s not his Abeoji or his samchon (uncle)!  He’s nae adul!”

WooBin grinned from ear to ear while JunPyo shrunk back against his chair just a little “Deh...he’s my nephew, too.  Does JanDi think I want something to happen to them?”

 - “Anieyo...hajiman…”

 - “Guam JanDi...our estate is very secure, nothing will happen to the kids here.”  WooBin continued before JanDi could say more.  “I have men that work in the airport.  If there’s any sign of danger, they can contact the pilot to re-route and if anyone tries to mess with the kids once on the ground, they won’t live long enough to talk about it.  I’ll send some of my most trusted staff to meet them on their arrival.  JunPyo, I trust, will be sending his own staff, right?”

 - “Deh…, InSo will love having to travel with his personal bodyguard,” JunPyo laughed, knowing that was completely opposite of the truth. The kid’s hated it but it was for their own protection.  “I’ll hook you up with two more, that’s more than enough should any idiot’s get any ideas.”

 - “Ideas?”  JanDi asked.  What kind of ideas?”

 - “Just the usual everyday stuff.  You know how some disgruntled people hate us.”  JanDi was biting her lip in worry.  “Gwenchana...it’ll be no different than when the entire family travels together.”

 JanDi didn’t see it that way “Eottokae?  How is it the same?  His Abeoji and Umma won’t be there…” JanDi would say to protect him but the guards would see to that.  “Well...what if adul or the yeoja get sick on the way?”

 - “JanDi-yah, the crew are trained in basic first aid,” JunPyo was trying not to grin.  She just didn’t want her baby boy to be away from her protective hold “JanDi-yah, gwenchana…” he smoothed his hands down her arms and held her there “Na guarantee this won’t become a habit.  Na won’t let it.  Let them have a little fun before school starts up.  InSo is a good adul and he has good chingu, they won’t get into any trouble.”

 - “So, we good now?”  WooBin asked.

 - “Deh…” JanDi reluctantly agreed “If Sunbae and YiJeong are okay with it, then na do gwenchana.”

 - “Daeback!”  I’ll tell anae and call Jihoo then YiJeong.  Secretly, WooBin was very pleased that his daughter’s other friends were coming.  That meant she had less time to spend alone with JaeWoo

Athens Greece

Midnight Wednesday


WooBin did a walk-through of his club a few times each night.  When he wasn’t there, one of his general managers did it for him.  He was successful because he didn’t just sit in his office.  He was out on the floor, listening to conversations, observing the attitudes of his guests and making sure he still had an edge above all the other clubs in the area.  His main club in Athens, wasn’t private but this one was.  Hefty membership dues and cover charges kept the place open.  Food and drink also left a nice little nest in his pocket.  Some nights he had a live DJ, others an automated one.  Tonight, he had a human DJ.  Walking up to the DJ booth, he waved at himYassas (hello)!  How’s it going tonight?  Everyone having fun?”

 - “Yassas, boss.  The requests keep coming in, we’re busy tonight.  A lot of celebrating.”

 - “Good job!  I’ll see you later!  I need to make a phone call, so you won’t see me for a while.”  WooBin liked to keep himself always in front of his staff.  Not micromanaging but more as a support.  He felt it made for a better work environment if he knew the mood of his staff on any given night.  If something happened and they needed his approval or help, he didn’t want to be locked away in his office unapproachable.  Reaching his office, he slipped off his shoes; at least in his private space he could maintain proper order.  He didn’t know what mood his other two friends were in, so he might as well sit down and get comfortable.  He could be in for a long phone call.  Both Jihoo and YiJung accepted his invitation for a video call.  Jihoo was fortunate the office was still closed for lunch and YiJeong was still in his studio after two unrestful nights, working on a project and thinking about his daughter’s request.  His poor sweet wife would come by soon with breakfast for him.  His poor sweet wife would come by soon with breakfast for him.  Yo guys, we’re all busy, so I’ll make this short.  If you’re comfortable sending the girls, Anae and I will be more than happy to receive them and personally see to their safety.  Jihoo, I’ve already contacted a team out in Los Angeles to HaEun.  YiJeong, JunPyo has his own security and I can add one more.  Not to mention, InSo is a 2nd Dan black belt.  The boy is well trained and would do anything to protect his friends.”

 - “Andwae,” YiJung answered immediately.  He’d been back and forth with his answer all night.  “Kansamnida, chingu for considering their request hajiman, Na can’t allow JeongHee to travel all that way without us.  If only JunPyo or JanDi were traveling too, I’d consider hajiman not alone.”

 - “Jihoo?”

Jihoo’s first response was a sigh and a sweeping of his bangs out of his face.  “JanDi agreed to this?”  He’d placed much faith in that JanDi would not be moved.

 - “I wouldn’t say she agreed, more like her husband left her no choice.  Ara what you two are thinking hajiman InSo is not reckless like JunPyo.  He’s also very protective of dtal, JeongHee and HaEun.  Na can’t read his mind hajiman Na don’t think this will be a regular occurrence.  He wants to come because the Kim’s from New York and all their boys are coming.  They’ll probably hang out at our pool or the beach club and Anae and Hana will most likely take the girls shopping.  Most of all, nae HaNa will be ecstatic to see her chingu again.  She has some good friends here, in Athens, but none can take the place of JeongHee, InSo, and HaEun.”

 - “Mollah, jeongmal.  Ara dtal wants to go, though she’ll think of every obstacle preventing her from going.  It would be good for her confidence and maturity to go.  Anae will be worried hajiman she’ll agree to my decision; though, without JeongHee Na can’t give my consent.  It’s not that I don’t trust InSo or dtal, Na would just rather play it safe.”

 - “Completely understood bro, their guards can be instructed to keep them separate.”  WooBin understood all too well, didn’t he want to keep JaeWook and his HaNa separate for as long as possible?

Jihoo grinned.  InSo and HaEun have been inseparable since birth.  Could a few bodyguards actually keep them apart?  “Mollah if that’s even possible,” Jihoo said.

YiJung couldn’t believe Jihoo was actually considering giving into this scheme of JunPyo’s son.  “Jihoo, chinchayo?  You’re considering this?”

 - “Deh…, na think it would be a good experience for Na sheltered gongju.  Her Umma and I can’t pick up and leave right now.  Ara she’ll say she doesn’t need to join her friends hajiman later will regret that she didn’t try.  YiJung-ah, I’m sure there are wonderful pottery collections to see at the National Architectural Museum, it may awaken in her a desire to finally learn pottery.  The National Art Gallery is also in Athens, wouldn’t you want JeongHee to visit?”

YiJung stayed silent.  Jihoo was always the one to rationalize everything.  “WooBin-ah, Jihoo-ah, what do our girls know about the bad that exists in the world?  We’ve all raised them in mini-utopias.  Loving parents, siblings, friends...family...mollah...it’s not that I don’t trust her...it’s everyone else I don’t trust.  I’m ex-Casanova, remember?  That cute baby girl came into this world to turn me into an overprotective father.”

 - “Didn’t they all?”  WooBin agreed with YiJeong“Guys, please consider.  HaNa will be so happy to have all her friends together.”

 - “Na will talk to Anae; she’ll worry hajiman she won’t say no.  YiJung?”  Jihoo put the ball back in YiJung’s court.  He wouldn’t be comfortable sending HaEun alone with InSo and he didn’t think she would be comfortable either.

 - “Aish...mollah...how soon do I need to let you know?”

 - “Nah have a team heading to Jihoo’s house as we speak and I expect InSo will be picking JeongHee up any minute.  They’ll rendezvous in Munich where HaEun will board the Shinhwa airplane...”  WooBin terminated the call, with a smile on his face and his friends’ outraged shouting in his ear.  It had taken some time to get everything planned and it had only come together a little while ago.  It worked out well, as he didn’t give them time to overthink.  Now, he had to inform his wife they’d have three extra guests and not to tell HaNa.  It would be a nice surprise for her.

  

Munich, Germany

With their internal clocks completely disrupted, the passengers of a private Boeing 737 were still awake at whatever time 13:50 Munich time was in their own country.

 - “Young master, So Agassi, we’ve arrived in Munich, please remain seated until the plane has come to a complete stop,” their pilot announced.

 - “Ajussi, how long before HaEun joins us?!”  InSo threw off his seatbelt before the plane had actually stopped and shouted at their head bodyguard.

 - “Young master, please remain in your seat.

 - “InSo-ah...do as you’re told,” JeongHee looked up from the sketchpad on her lap.  She had been drawing InSo in a humorous picture of him scowling as he checked the time on his watch.

 - “Young Master, as soon as we refuel and get the all clear, she will be able to board.”

 - “Ajussi, we can call our parents now?  What time is it back home?”  JeongHee asked.

 - “Of course, So Agassi, it’s only mid-evening in Seoul.”

 - “Kansamnida!”  She inclined her head at him.  The parents had begrudgingly agreed to let the kids make the trip provided they took bodyguards with them.  There were three suited and armed guards on board with them and two plain-clothed guards traveling with HaEun, adding to her unease.

HaEun was only half looking at her tablet.  Her thoughts were back home and wondering if she shouldn’t have just stayed.  She had completely dismissed the idea of coming to Athens, thinking her Appa would be against it.  She was completely surprised when he called to tell her she needed to hurry and pack.  Her Uncle WooBin was sending her bodyguards to her to Munich where she would meet the Shinhwa plane and continue her journey from there.  Ilana had been at the office and almost fell out of her chair when Jihoo called her.  There was no time to go home, she called a driver to take her to LAX.

Promising to call her parents on her arrival in Munich, she took out her phone.

 - “HaEun-ah?”  Jihoo smiled in relief to hear her voice.  He’d been praying more than sleeping, all night.

 - “Deh, Appa, we’re just waiting for the plane to be refueled before letting me board.”

Ilana took the phone from her husband“Beba!  Gwenchana?  Your flight went well?  Did you get some rest?”

 - “Deh Umma.  Umma and Abeoji bogoshipoyo.  It felt a little weird travelling with Mr. Leon and Mrs. May.”

 - “Beba, we miss you too, Appa and I prayed for your safe trip and for you to be at peace and not be nervous.  Ara, you don’t mind flying but this is your first time without us.”

 - “Deh, Umma, gomawoyo.  I’ll be fine once I see Oppa and JeongHee.”

 - “Love you, Beba!  Have fun, give HaNa a huge hug from us.”

 - “Deh....na do!  Think of what you guys want me to bring you from Athens!”

 - “We will!”

 - “Is HaYi still very angry?”  Her little sister had blown a gasket on finding out HaEun was traveling to visit her godparents.

 - “Jeogumyo,” Jihoo’s face became irritated as he remember the fit his youngest threw when he got home.

 - “She’ll get over it,” Ilana said, smoothing out her husband’s irritated brows“She doesn’t deserve it but bring her something nice.”  When Ilana had met up with them at the airport, Jihoo had left HaLee in the SUV.  Thankfully, the windows were dark and the VIP parking structure was protected from the elements and she didn’t have the ignition security code.

 - “Deh, Umma.”

 - “Don’t worry about us, enjoy yourself and make sure to communicate our greetings to your Imo and Ajussi deul.”

 - “Deh appa, I’ll make sure to give them hugs especially from you.”  Sometimes HaEun thought her appa was shyer than she was.

 - “Mmm,” Jihoo didn’t comment on her teasing.

 - “Oh!  Appa, Umma...Mr. Leon is telling me we can board now.”

 - “Annyeong, Beba!”

 - “Annyeong!”

Ilana gave Jihoo his phone back with a sigh.  “I miss her already!”

He chuckled and wrapped her in his arms, and tangled his legs with hers, cradling her head against his chest. “She’ll be back in a few days.  Ara it was difficult letting her go hajiman Na feel at peace.  She’ll have a good experience and it will help break more of her shyness.  Sarang knows if we refused her to go, she would have been relieved.”

Ilana grinned.  “Deh...she’s so much like appa,” she gave her husband a little squeeze and remained smoothing her hands over his toned back.  “Hajiman she doesn’t think she has your talents and would really like to break from her timid shell, thinking somehow (Ilana rolled her eyes) that we’ll suddenly love her more than we already do.”

 - “Sarang knows she wants to not be as timid.”
 - “Deh…Na just want her to find a balance.”

 - “She will, Sarang,” Jihoo yawned “It’s 4:30 in the morning, can we sleep a little longer?  As it is Na have to go in early to see the patients that I had to reschedule yesterday.”  He’d never run out on patients before but he wasn’t about to let his daughter fly almost 7,000 miles without him seeing her off and giving her his blessing.

 - “Mmm…”

Jihoo settled his wife more comfortably and they snoozed for another few hours.

 - “HaEun-ah!!”  JeongHee and InSo were crowding the plane’s entrance, not letting her move forward.

 - “Annyeong,” HaEun laughed as JeongHee hugged her and began jumping up and down, while holding her hands “This is going to be so much fun!”

 - “Yah!  It’s my turn!”  Instead of trying to pry HaEun from JeongHee, he just wrapped both his friends in a tight hug as they squealed in laughter. Deh, we’ll have a blast!  We should all go on a trip together every year!  With HaNa Noona moving back to Seoul, we can plan for when our gongju comes home.”

HaEun wasn’t quite jumping up and down with InSo and JeongHee but that didn’t mean she wasn’t happy.  She was extremely happy that she had joined her friends and that Appa didn’t let her talk herself out of going.  And she was relieved that she was finally united with them and not all alone.  The bodyguards were very kind but unnerving all the same.  A few tears began escape her eyes.  “Yah!  Gwenchana?”  InSo stepped back abruptly, having noticed an escaping teardrop.  He grabbed on to her upper arms but was ready to run and get help at a moment’s notice.

 - “Deh...mianhae Oppa, mianhae JeongHee, nae pabo.  I’m just happy.”

 - “Deh, pabo, we’re happy too!”  JeongHee hugged her again.

 - “Kaja, let’s sit down so we can get going!”  InSo was already tugging on her arm.

 - “O-ppa!!”  HaEun’s grip on her backpack wasn’t secure and it slipped.

 - “InSo-ah!  You didn’t even let her grab her bag!”  JeongHee scolded.

 - “Oh!  Mian…”  InSo blushed a little.  “I got excited.”

 - “InSo excited?  Never!”  JeongHee teased.

 - “Gwenchana, Oppa.  I’m excited too.”  HaEun gave him a pat on the arm and went ahead to find a seat.  Excited to get going, the trio didn’t waste any more time in getting buckled in and ready for take-off.

 - “HaNa will be so surprised!!”  InSo practically jumped against his restraints “Noona is pissed at me but it will be worth it.  InHei was outraged when she came home to find out her parents had actually conceded to her little brother’s request.  She never would have asked for such a thing at his age or any age for that matter.

HaEun turned a mournful face toward InSo.  “Mianhae, Unnie is upset, so is HaYi.  Maybe we could’ve have planned better to accommodate more of us.  JeongHee Unnie?  Is JeongJa upset?”

 - “Jeogumyo, appa is more upset than any of my dongsaeng-deul.  Umma was only upset Ajussi WooBin didn’t give us enough notice hajiman she was excited for us.  Appa, on the other hand…Na want JeongHee to know it’s only because WooBin Ajussi didn’t leave us much of a choice that we are allowing you to go.  Neaga still not comfortable with this idea.  Annchoah the tantrum you threw when Appa first said no.  Just remember if Na find out you’ve misbehaved in any way, Na will lock you in a hidden room at Shinhwa School until after your coming of age.”  JeongHee giggled, after doing her best imitation of her Father’s speech“Mollah if Appa is serious or if Umma would agree with him but Na won’t take any chances.  Any cute Greek boys will have to keep their distance.”

 - “Na will make sure they do,” InSo said.

 - “InSo-ah!  Between you and appa, I’ll never get married!”

 - “Your Appa trusted you to my care, deh?”  HaEun and JeongHee looked at each other and laughed.  Their parents may have put a little trust in InSo but mostly it was their Uncle WooBin’s bodyguards“Wae?!  Majayo!”

 -  “Deh, deh!  Unnie and I are just teasing.  Appa and JeongHee’s Appa would never let us make this trip without Oppa.  Gomawoyo, Oppa, for thinking of us.”  HaEun knew how to soothe her silly Oppa’s ruffled feathers just like he always knew just how to make her feel better.

 - “Deh, InSo-ah, gomawo for coming up with this scheme.  Na can’t wait to see the look on Unnie’s face when we show up.  Hajiman will Imo be able to keep our surprise a secret?”  JeongHee asked, knowing how HaNa’s Umma was (that was what made her so much fun).

 - “Deh...she loves surprises.”  HaEun thought of all the surprise gifts HaLee and she had received over the years from her and their uncle WooBin.  If she went shopping for HaNa, inevitably, she’d send something to HaEun.  Later, when HaLee was born and she became her godmother, HaEun still received gifts, just on a smaller scale.  JaeKyung loved to shop but wanted to keep her goddaughter as the main target of her shopping sprees.

HaEun began to rummage through her backpack for her tablet as JeongHee took up her sketch pad again.  Getting comfortable, HaEun powered on her tablet.  InSo couldn’t believe what he was seeing.  “Chincha?  We’re on vacation and HaEun is reading?  And JeongHee Noona is working?”  He unbuckled his seat belt and crossed over to stand between their seats.

 - “Oppa is on vacation, not me.  If I can’t keep on track I won’t graduate early,” HaEun replied.  InSo rolled his eyes at her.  “We only have two hours until we arrive in Athens.  It’s not worth sleeping and I don’t want to do homework while I’m there.”

 - “HaEun isn’t fun,” he pouted.

 - “And should I just stare at Oppa’s handsome face the entire two hours?”

 - “Guerae, wae anieyo?”

 - “O-ppa!  You’re terrible!”  HaEun laughed and JeongHee rolled her eyes at the pair.

 - “HaEun-ah, don’t say things like that, he already believes it.”

 - “Yah, Noona, you’re ruining your chances of going on a date with me when we’re older.  And wae is Noona working, too?”

JeongHee’s laughter filled the cabin of the aircraft.  “As if I’d want to go on a date with you.  As for working, I’m not.  I’m doodling.  Doesn’t Oppa swim while on vacation?!”

A strange picture popped into HaEun’s head at the thought of InSo dating and she shook to clear it.  “Oppa, go to your seat and let me read.”

 - “Fiiiinnneee!”  InSo went back to sulking in his chair.

After forty-five minutes, the girls succumbed to InSo’s whining and complaining, spending the next hour playing a shooting game that surprisingly the girls enjoyed.


footnote:

눈코 없다 (nun-ko tteul seh eupt-da) — “I don’t have time to open my eyes and nose”

Meaning: You’re too busy and have no time to lose

 

Writing is coming along so slowly (mianhae) plus I don't have as much time to spend on it as I did with LCMS.  My muse and distraction has been working overtime as a distraction.  Those bare knees are very distracting and I can't wait to receive my CD's so I can see his teasing bare shoulders.  I leave for Japan on the 20th, so hoping I can get a little writing done on the plane.