- 5 -

Love’s Long Journey

Hoping to catch the high tide, HyunJoong, Kike, JungMin and his boys (minus KangIl) and their two guests, Yoon KyuHa and Heo KyuHyun plus the rest of the older boys left early for the beach.  Having no daughters to wait for, JunPyo decided he too wanted to join the boys (not having surfed since their last impromptu Jeju vacation two years ago).  He’d been woken up by a business call, putting him in a bad mood.  Seeing the text about the boys heading for the beach, brightened his spirits and he hurried JanDi down for breakfast.  Even though JanDi would rather stay with the girls, than be the only female amongst all the boys, JunPyo wouldn’t hear of it.  JanDi hoped she’d be left at the house and could at least help prep some food but even in this, she would be denied.  Her husband wanted her with him.

Ilana woke herself up around ten and the day progressed slowly.  Her husband’s arm held her tightly; perhaps subconsciously knowing she would wake up before him and therefore trying to prevent her escape.  As wonderful as it felt to be wrapped in her husband’s strong arms and deliciously soothing (and at the same time, enticing) scent, she needed to get into the kitchen and prep the breakfast bar before Nana returned from Sunday Mass with Brendon and Sierra.  She had ordered Brendon and Sierra to take Nana out to breakfast and not return before noon.  They argued over Ilana giving them money until Sierra stepped in, taking the offered money and thanking her graciously.  They would never have gone to bed otherwise.  Sierra would just give it back to the kids, later.  Mentally calculating how long it would take to bake bacon and sausage and prepare muffins and pancake batter, beat eggs, and chill mock mimosas (both orange and cranberry).  Groaning, she figured no one was awake yet and sunk back into oblivion for another fifteen minutes.  Her conscience pricking her (or joy telling her she was awake and hungry) woke her back up.  Their younger cat, Viola, (Ilana figured) was in the girls’ room, having taken over HaEun’s bed.  “How many times have I told you not to wake Appa,” Ilana whispered to the cat.

 - “How many times have I told Umma, I don’t care,” meowed the cat back.

 - “Arraso...shh…,” Ilana grumbled about the cat not being nice and sought to extricate herself from her husband’s grip.  Figuring Brendon, at least fed the dog, she slid out from Jihoo’s grasp.  Her years of experience were not always foolproof but her poor husband must have been tired and her escape was successful.  Feeding joy and finding something comfortable to wear, she set out to see if anyone other than the furry family was awake.

Mornings like this one, when all was quiet, made Ilana even more grateful to her Papi for this beautifully crafted home.  An earthquake struck the city shortly after the house was constructed.  Many older homes with less sound craftsmanship fell but Papi’s house didn’t even have a scratch.  The solid wood doors to their bedroom blocked out all elements and kids, but not cats.  At least the cat door was insulated to keep out drafts from the hallway and vaulted ceilings.  Overall, the house was constructed and maintained very efficiently.  It was easy to do when you had the knowledge and didn’t have to worry about the cost.  Ilana’s first stop was the girls’ room; opening the door, she saw HaLee and JungSoon asleep in a nest of blankets, pillows, stuffed animals and tangled arms and legs.  Shaking her head, she began to pick up what was left of their late night munching.  Eating on the bed was strictly forbidden (unless they were sick).  She would let it slide this time; it looked like Viola, the vacuum, had already cleaned up most of it and was sleeping off a gimbap, popcorn, cheese, and potato chip and ranch dressing, hangover“Agassi, don’t you dare throw up on HaEun’s bed.”  Having plucked stray bits of potato chip and popcorn from the blankets, she straightened limbs and restored to life, squashed stuffed animals (glad that hers were safe and sound in her room).  Leaving the door cracked open so the cat could leave (if she wanted to); Ilana took the tray of used paper goods downstairs.  Depositing everything in the kitchen garbage, she checked on the girls.  Parents of HaEun’s local friends would be arriving around 12:30; she wondered if HaEun would even be awake by then.  At the moment, HaEun, HaNa, and JeongHee and JeongJa were all lumped together like kittens. It was pretty much the same for the rest of the room too.  “Yesu, kansamnida,” she thanked the Lord that she could give her children, the childhood she never had.  They had their parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, joy, and music.  Most importantly, they knew and loved Yesu who gave them the gift of life.  “Yesu, be with all the girls here, in their waking up and sleeping, in their eating and working, in their playing and their dreaming.  May they turn to you for guidance and be wise friends to each other.  Amen.”

After her thankful communication with the Lord, Ilana went to the kitchen to get everything started.  Nana, not able to tolerate a messy kitchen, had already cleaned up the leftover snacks.  “Kansamnida, for giving Nana to me, Jihoo, and the kids,” again Ilana thanked the Lord for her blessings and got to work.

A little over an hour later, Ilana had the bacon, sausage, and muffins in the oven, pancake batter made, and a pitcher of cranberry and a pitcher of orange mock mimosas chilling.  Wondering if the girls would like strawberry, yogurt and granola parfaits, she took the strawberries from the fridge and was about to reach for a knife when a hand on hers and a hand around her waist stopped her“Hajima, na will do that.  Sarang and knives don’t do well together,” he took the knife from the drawer and set it on the counter.

 - “Sarang...I’m competent enough in the kitchen to slice strawberries uninjured.”  Jihoo gave her his “look”, took out the handkerchief he always carried (yes, even with his pajama pants) and proceeded to dust flour off the front of his wife’s dress.  “It’s not that much; I would have dusted off when I was done with the strawberries.  Sarang knows I don’t like wearing an apron.”  Also, with just his eyes, he looked over to the counter where a thin dusting of flour lay.  “Wae?!  I would have cleaned it up.”

Smiling, he took her in his arms.  “Deh, Sarang, hajiman let me slice the strawberries so we have less to clean up later.”

 - “Sarang is making fun of me,” pouting, she snuggled into the exquisite cotton of his t-shirt and his irresistible morning scent of dissipated Love perfume, soap, his natural male scent, and most likely a little bit of her own body spray.

 - “Anihya,” he held her more firmly against him, resting his cheek against the top of her head, inhaling a mixture of scents including shampoo and hair product.  “Annyeong hashiminika,” he lifted his face and gave her cheek a kiss and then her pouting lips.  He loved to .  His gently reared wife wasn’t a gourmet chef or a very graceful cook but she did what she could and only had the occasional mishaps “Na Sarang is yippeun this morning.”

 - “Flatterer…,” she stood on her toes and gave him a peck on the cheek.  “I’ll place the granola in small bowls and you, sir, may slice strawberries to your heart’s content.”  She gave a tap to his “heart” and walked away to check on the muffins whose timer was about to go off.

Jihoo made quick work of slicing strawberries while Ilana placed the muffins to cool and began to pour the granola in ceramic bowls.  About to search for the tablespoon sized metal scoops she had purchased, Jihoo distracted her.  “Sarang didn’t give me all the strawberries.”

 - “Sarang, there was five pounds…”

 - “It didn’t look like five pounds.”

It looked like five pounds to her but she shrugged it off.  “Maybe the girls munched on them last night.  There are peaches and raspberries in the fridge; I’ll get them for you.”

 - “Deh.”

Before she could open the refrigerator, he trapped her in his arms (to her surprise).  “Ahh...na think I found one more strawberry.”

HaNa was usually awake early but having stayed awake most of the night; she slept well past her usual wake up time.  JeongHee was also an early riser for the most part but evidently not today.  The house was quiet which invited being lazy and staying asleep.  HaEun, she knew wouldn’t wake until someone woke her up.  Deciding she was hungry, HaNa carefully moved out from HaEun, who liked to cuddle.  Her two friends quickly took over her spot.  “You two are so cute.”  Taking her phone, she headed for the kitchen in search of food.

Turning the corner into the kitchen, HaNa quickly froze.  HaEun’s Mom (her Nina), was “trapped” up against the fridge while enjoying a sweet kiss from HaEun’s Appa (her Nino).  HaNa bit her lip not to laugh at the cute parents.

Jihoo ended the kiss, slowly, nipping at her lip a few times.  That’s a good morning kiss,” he chuckled softly and placing one last kiss on his wife’s forehead.

 - “Sarang...how is it that I fall for your tricks each time?”

Jihoo grinned at his poor unsuspecting wife.  She had innocently gone to forage in the refrigerator for more fruit and received her husband’s advances instead.

 - “Yah,” Ilana placed her hands on either side of his smiling face“What if the girls came in?”

Jihoo took one of her hands and kissed it “Sarang, they were most likely up all night and won’t wake until their parents start arriving.”

HaNa couldn’t resist coming out of hiding“Not all are still asleep.”  Her Nino and Nina jumped apart like guilty school sweethearts.  Annyeong hashiminika, Nonos, Nona,” HaNa bowed as respectfully as possible while grinning widely“Nomu gwiyowiyo!”

 - “HaNa-yah...how long were you spying on us?”  Jihoo tried looking stern.

HaNa knew she was bordering on disrespect but they were just too cute.  Trying to look as innocent as possible, she answered.  “I came in while Nonos and Nona were kissing.  I didn’t want to interrupt.  It’s not like I haven’t seen Umma and Appa kissing!”  She quickly explained why she didn’t say anything.

 - “HaNa-yah, it’s very disrespectful to spy on adults.”

 - “Mianhamnida…” HaNa quickly hugged Jihoo.  “I can’t help that Nonos and Nona look so cute together.”  HaNa motioned, with her hand, for Jihoo to come closer.  Complying unsurely with the teen’s request, he bent down to her.  ”Nonos must be a really good kisser.  Nona is blushing.”  HaNa whispered in her Nino’s ear, enjoying teasing them.

 - “Yah, agassi, I heard that!”  Ilana protested.

Jihoo laughed and hugged the teen girl back.  “Don’t tell anyone, deh?”

 - “Deh!  Yaksokhaeyo (I promise)!”

Ilana shook her head at their vivacious goddaughter.  “HaNa-yah, begohpa?”

 - “Nomu!”  HaNa was always hungry.

 - “Arraso, you can have a muffin and granola and yogurt until the others wake up or I can make you pancakes and eggs, now.  The bacon and sausage should be just about ready, too.”

 - “Pancakes, juseyo?  Can I help?”  HaNa was more prone to offering her help than HaEun.  HaEun willingly and eagerly jumped in to help when asked but too shy to offer on her own.  Anyone who knew her knew this fact also.

 - “HaNa can place the strawberries…”

“Na think I found one more strawberry.”

Jihoo’s kiss flashed before her eyes and she had to turn her face to avoid them seeing her flustered face.

 - “On the dining table?  HaNa asked, figuring her Nina was thinking of the best place for the strawberries.

 - “Deh!”  Ilana brought her head back from where it had been.  “I’ll start the griddle if HaNa comes back and takes the individual cups of yogurt, the granola, and the whipped cream.”

 - “Arraseo!”

Jihoo was leaning against the Island with his arms crossed.  “HaEun Appa can help HaNa buy getting the warming trays set up, deh?  Oh!  And get Nana’s orange flavored syrup out of the fridge.”

 - “Deh, Eommoni,” he teased.

The smell of pancakes, bacon, and sausage, soon had some of the lighter sleepers practically sleepwalking to the kitchen.  JoengHee and JeongJa woke when their head crashed into the other’s.  JeongJa was still complaining and rubbing her forehead.  Unnie...wae is your head so hard?”

 - “Na take after Umma, what’s your excuse?”  Everyone knew that Chu GaEul was the sweetest and most loyal person to have on your side; she was also tenacious when she wanted to be.

 - “Na must take after our ceramics.”  The two sisters looked at each other and laughed.

 - “Annyeong hashiminika, Imo!”  The two girls entered the kitchen and bowed to Ilana.

 - “JeongHee-yah...JeongJa-yah, annyeong.  Is dtal still sleeping?”

 - “Deh, Imo,” JeongJa answered“That smells yummy!”

 - “Deh, pancakes two days in a row!  Daeback!”  JeongHee said.  Seeing different toppings out, she decided on basic pancakes and she would add toppings on her own. Imo, two pancakes, juseyo.  I’ll top them afterward.”

 - “Chocolate chip for me, juseyo?”  JeongJa asked.

 - “HaNa is in the dining room with HaEun’s Appa, if you’d like to join them.  There’s granola, fresh fruit, yogurt, and whipped cream also.”

 - “Kansamnida!”  The two girls bowed, before rushing to the dining room and their friend.

HaNa had insisted on making Jihoo a fruit and granola parfait and the two were enjoying their pre-breakfast snack.  Your Abeoji said you’ll be moving back to Seoul soon.  By the end of the year, he’s hoping to settle his business in Athens and move the family back to Seoul.”

 - “Deh!”

 - “Haengbokhae?”

 - “Mollahyo, ajussi.  Bogoshipo chingu that I’ve made there.  And the beaches!”  HaNa laughed.  She and her schoolmates had many “study” dates at the beach.

 - “Na won’t ask what those sparkling eyes mean.  Hajiman if HaNa would like it, we can head down to the beach house this afternoon.”  Kike had sent him an early morning text, telling him HyunJoong and he would be taking HaNeul and some of the boys provided their parents gave their permission.  They couldn’t all spend the night as there just wasn’t enough room for all their friends and kids but they could stay as long as everyone wanted.  Their friends would be leaving the following night.  Unlike their youthful days at Shinhwa, everyone had responsibilities to take care of and the kids shouldn’t miss school (F4 or not).  Jihoo figured they could stop at a Korean market along the way to buy meat and supplementary fixings for sides.  A pantry in the garage held their private stock of grocery staples and enough for guests but not for approximately forty guests.  He smiled knowingly at his goddaughter.  “If dtal ever wakes up.”

 - “Beach house?!”  JeongHee and JeongJa entered the dining room.  “HaEun didn’t tell us about a beach house?!”  JeongHee sat down, eagerly wanting to hear more about a beach house.  Annyeong hashiminika, ajussi!”  The two girls suddenly remembered their “Most Handsome Father” contest and burst out laughing.

HaNa looked at them quizzically and caught the meaning behind JeongHee’s darted glance toward HaEun’s Father and joined in the giggles as their contest came back to mind.

 - “Would agassi-deul like me to leave?”  He said with his perfect poker face that made the giggling start all over again.  Figuring he should leave and let the girls enjoy their joke, he pushed back his chair to stand.

 - “Aniamnida!  Ajussi...anjayo, juseyo…?”  JeongJa rubbed her hands together, pleading.  “Tell us about the beach house, jaebal?”

 - “Deh!!”  The others girls chorused feeling a little guilty over their inside joke.  

 - “Mollah what there is to tell about…,” he sat back down again.  Na just bought the house a little over a year ago.  It was a gift for HaEun Umma (so he told himself).  Mianhae...there’s not enough room for all of you and your parents but we can enjoy the property late into the evening.  HaEun’s Umma won’t say no to s’mores.”

 - “Ohhh…those gooey yummy things with chocolate and marshmallow?  Mmmm….”  JeongJa was her lips in anticipation.

 - “Deh...well, you girls enjoy your breakfast.  I’ll go help HaEun Umma or breakfast might take a while.”

 - “Kajima…jaebal,” JeongJa and JeongHee pleaded for him to stay.

 - “Yeoja, have a parfait,” HaNa took a cup and began layering yogurt, strawberries, and granola.  With Nonos distracting Nona, breakfast might be a while, deh?”

 - “Oh…” Jihoo winked at HaNa and left, smiling to himself.

 - “Wae?”  JeongHee asked.

 - “Omo!!  Nonos and Nona are kyopta!  You two missed everything.  When I woke up, I came into the kitchen and Nonos had Nona pressed against the fridge…,” the story became more exaggerated with each telling and the kiss, followed by caresses and sweet murmurings increased from a few minutes twenty.

Somewhere around two and after the local girls had left and the kitchen cleaned up and the girls pitched in to tidy up the media room (even HaLee), Jihoo and Ilana called their friends to tell them they were about to kidnap their daughters unless they were ready to caravan to the beach house in fifteen minutes. 

 - “Gwenchana, drop AhReum off at her Harabeoji’s house.”  YoungSaeng and Mina had been languishing in bed after a morning lovemaking session, that continued in the shower and though hungry, neither wanted to have to answer the door, so they consumed whatever was in the mini fridge, including a split bottle of champagne.

 - “Yah!  Give me that,” Mina wrenched the phone away from her husband.  “Hyeongbu, text me the address and we’ll follow within the hour.”

 - “I thought we were going to spend the day in bed,” YoungSaeng said.

 - “It’s already the next day…back home.  I want to go to the beach, kaja.  I’ll race you to the bathroom.”  Mina was still quick on her feet and managed to get in the bathroom first but YoungSaeng was determined.  His wife may have reached the bathroom but he didn’t let her get ready on her own.

The two youngest boys, Park KangIl and Kim (Wells) SeoJun were reunited with KyuJong and Emily.  Being only six and seven, they were not allowed to sleep alone on another floor but in a smaller room across the hall from SeoJun’s parents.  As the youngest, SeoJun was a little shy, and didn’t fit in with the older boys but didn’t want to sleep with mom and dad, either.  Emily had asked Suzy if KangIl wouldn’t mind staying at the hotel with SeoJun.  KangIl jumped at the chance to spend the night at the hotel, even if they had to be across the hall from his aunt and uncle.  KyuJong stayed with them until just past midnight, munching on snacks and playing video games.  The floor was quiet and no one was up and about.  There weren’t any weird noises or unidentified light to keep the boys up and after a game of “would you rather”, went straight to sleep.  KyuJong and Emily woke up early for a morning walk around town and then came back to meet the boys for breakfast.  They were currently at the pool hanging out with the boys, Jaejoong, Abigail, JaeKyung, and WooBin.  Abigail received the call from Ilana.

 - “Yes, chica!  We’ll go!  Jae is in the pool with KyuJong and the little boys, I’ll tell him.  JaeKyung Unnie and WooBin are with us too.  We’ll see you soon.”

JaeJoong’s head broke the water’s surface to see his wife on her phone.  “Anae, who was it?”

 - “It’s Ilana, the girls are all awake and Jihoo promised to take them to the beach house.”

 - “Daeback!”  JaeKyung was already standing up and putting on her sandals“Honey, let’s go get the girls.  Abigail, have you seen pictures of the house?  It’s sooo Jihoo...he says he bought it for family getaways but I think it’s more for him and Ilana to use as a romantic getaway."

- “Scandalous,” Jaejoong joked.  My upright chingu has a love nest?  Just shameful.  Jagi, why didn’t we think of that?”  Abigail narrowed her eyes at her husband.  “Wae...I think I’ll see if my old bachelor pad is available...what do you think?”  Abigail gave him a murderous look and turned her back on him, storming off.

JaeKyung giggled“Jaejoong should know better than to like that.”

 - “Ara, but she’s so hot when she’s angry.”

 - “Yo, my bro; there’s just some things we don’t need to know, right?  Palli, go after her before she decides to lock you out,” WooBin said. 

Jaejoong began to run after his wife.  “Gwenchana!”  He waved at WooBin, Jihoo and Ilana will talk her into forgiving me.  See you later!”

 - “Deh!”

 - “Yeobo, we better take JaeIn with us.  I don’t think they’ll be coming out anytime soon,” JaeKyung said, laughing behind her hand.

 - “Nothing like a good argument to make you randy (in the mood),” Emily said, in her usual British slang.

 - “Jagi is incorrigible,” KyuJong was a little pink around the ears.

 - “Oooh!  I’ve heard that one,” JaeKyung laughed, taking a glance at her husband who was also laughing.  “I hope Jaejoong remembered the “do not disturb” sign.  Once Abigail’s done yelling at him for his bad jokes, as they say in Greece - they’ll be peanutting for a while.”  More laughter followed.

 - “Umma, who’s Randy?”  SeoJun asked, making WooBin and JaeKyung laugh even harder.

 - “Candy-coated peanuts are yummy!  Can we have some?”  Park KangIl spoke up, though none of the adults answered.  No coherent words could be formed as they glanced from each other to the boys and back again laughing so hard, tears were leaking from the corner of their eyes.  The two little boys shrugged.

 - “Umma likes to make up a lot of words,” SeoJun whispered to his friend, who nodded in agreement.

Emily answered, confusing the seven-year-old even more.  “Not a who - what...and you don’t need to know until you’re older, sweetie.”

 - “Eelihwah (come), namja, time to clean up so we can catch up with your auntie Ilana and Uncle Jihoo.”  KyuJong tried to quickly usher the boys away from the inappropriate conversation (understandable or not).  “And don’t repeat Umma’s words in your English class or they’ll dock you points,” he warned his son.

 - “Anieyo!  Everyone thinks they’re bad words but I tell them they’re from Umma’s home country.”  Emily followed her husband, grinning at his “I’m-trying-not-to laugh” look.

  - “Gwenchanayo, Uissa, our HaNa has come back with some interesting Greek words from her friends.  It’s natural.”

 - “Gueraeyo, when the school calls and you have to explain that your child did not say a bad word and try to convince them otherwise, is where the problem is.”

 - “Send the kids to an international school,” WooBin suggested as they all walked back to their hotel rooms.  “They aren’t all unreasonably priced.”

 - “Deh, we’ve talked about it.  Perhaps in another year or two, we’ve considered sending them to Emi’s parents for a summer.”

 - “I can do three weeks without the kids, not three months,” Emily said.

 - “Deh, jagi.”  Not that KyuJong wanted to get rid of the kids; he just wanted them to experience more than just Seoul and North Jeolla province.  The discussion would continue another day.

Suzy, little SuJi, GaEul, and YiJeong were out for lunch and window shopping in the downtown area when YiJeong received Jihoo’s call.  “Arraso, we’ll see you there.  Hajiman, na have to get Anae and Suzy-ssi out of the shops first.”  While it was true that YiJeong liked to shop, these little “unique” shops held no interest for him.  He came along because he wanted to be with his wife.  He didn’t realize Suzy would be joining them as well.  “Hokshina I’ll go pick up the yeoja and come back for them.”

 - “Arraseo, we’ll wait,” Jihoo told him.

 - “Sarang we called everyone but Maknae and YiHyun Unnie.  I can’t get a hold of them.  I’m sure they won’t mind us taking Dasom and DaHee.  We’ll leave a message at the front desk for them.”

 - “Deh, chances are they’re out in the hills .taking pictures and oblivious of the time.”  The hills surrounding their home were the most picturesque in the winter and spring before the summer heat scorched all the trees and grass.

 

For the Seoulites, the sixty-four degree Spring Southern California afternoon was perfect; cooler than it had been in Seoul but not unpleasant.  Jihoo was fond of the laid back, but not sleepy, artistic town of Laguna Beach.  Anywhere you walked, you’d find musicians or artists proudly displaying their talent.  Perhaps it reminded him a little of his busking in Macau.  He’d decided to buy a beach house was great for renting out, not that they needed the extra income.  It also served as a perfect retreat for their often busy lives.  Escaping for an afternoon after a soccer game was common and less frequently, escaping the kids on a Friday night and bringing the horses for an idyllic stroll.

HaNa wanted to go where the boys were surfing and of course, dragged some of the girls along with her.  The younger girls and boys were happy to just play in the sand and make sand castles while others were enjoying the pool.  HaNa enjoyed the sun while HaEun and JeongHee did not.  They were content to stay under a large umbrella.  So JeongJa wasn’t a strong swimmer but trips to the beach were few and far between.  She was enjoying body surfing tips from KangMin and his dad and occasional pointers from the other boys.  By the time the girls had caught up with the boys, the tide was no longer high but Laguna Beach was still a favorite in all tide conditions.  It was a little crowded but there was still enough room for everyone who wanted to play.

JaeWook, JaeHyeong, and InSo came out of the water, dripping all over the girls’ feet.

 - “Yah!”  JeongHee screamed as water touched her perfectly manicured feet.

 - “Noona is not going to melt,” InSo shook his head.

 - “The water’s cold!” HaEun retreated her feet as some drops reached her.

 - “The crowd has tapered off, anyone want a surfing lesson?”  JaeWook offered, hoping his girl would take the bait.

 - “Na!”  HaNa jumped up from her chair.  Nae chingu, Alexander, taught me a little.  I’m not that good.”

 - “Yah...who’s Alexander…”

 - “Nae chingu...classmate.”

 - “That’s all he better be.  Kaja, I’m a certified and experienced junior lifeguard.  And nae jagiya is lucky I placed second in my first year of the junior guard surf off.”

 - “Lucky for both of you, uncle WooBin isn’t here,” InSo said.

 - “Gongju?  Care to try?”

 - “InSo-ah...I can hardly swim,” HaEun reminded him. 

 - “InSo-ah is captain of the Shinhwa swim team and hasn’t taught you yet?”

 - “Shiroyo!”

 - “If gongju doesn’t want to come in, Na will have to come out and bother her,” InSo threatened.

 - “Oppa never bothers.  Anja,” she leaned forward and tugged on his hand wanting him to sit on the towel next to her.

 - “He bothers me,JaeWook disagreed.

InSo stuck his tongue out at JaeWook to which JaeWook rolled his eyes at the childish gesture.  Our InSo is nomu cute,” HaNa took hold of InSo’s cheek and gave it a squeeze.

 - “Ahhh...Noona!!!”

 - “Jagiya, kaja…,” JaeWook boldly took HaNa’s hand.  After all, neither of their parents were around and the adults present were too busy having fun.  As long as no one was drowning or being stung by a jellyfish, JaeWook and HaNa holding hands was insignificant.

 - “Tell JeongJa she better not be flirting with KangMin!”

 - “HaNeul will keep an eye on her,” InSo Said.  “Pigonhaeyo...I think I’m done.  Did nae favorite dongsaeng bring her Oppa any snacks?”

 - “Oppa...I swear you’re all stomach.  Where does it go?  To the roots of your hair?”  HaEun gave a quick tug to his lovely carpet of black hair.

 - “Yah…only nae gongju can do that and get away with it.”

HaEun laughed.  “Anjayo, we brought a few snacks.  I’ll share some of my portion.”

 - “Arraso, let me take off this wetsuit."  InSo tugged at the cord in the back, opening the suit.

 - “Oppa!!”

 - “InSo-ah!”

Both HaEun and JeongHee looked away.

 - “Wae?!”

 - “Go do that somewhere else!”  HaEun said, with hands over her face.

 - “Aiiishh...I’m wearing a shirt underneath!”  He was already peeling the suit off.  HaEun took a chance and peeked through her fingers, sighing in relief.  “Besides, I’m quite good looking without my shirt on, you wanna see?”

 - “Anieyo!!”

 - “InSo-ah...behave or I’m telling ajussi JunPyo!”

 - “Aigoo...I’m just joking.  Kyopta!”

 - “Mollah!”  JeongHee glared at him.  “HaEun-ah, feed him so he’ll keep quiet.”

 - “Deh…” HaEun rummaged in her bag“Here’s a sandwich, Oppa, and chips.  I’m fine with just fruit.”

 - “InSo-ah is so spoiled because he’s the only namja in our group.  Your parents are going to have to find a very patient wife for you,” JeongHee said.

 - “Yah...any yeoja would be glad to have Shinhwa as a son-in-law.”

HaEun and JeongHee groaned and rolled their eyes.  But HaEun’s stomach felt funny all of a sudden, thinking of her best friend getting married.  Not that she wouldn’t be happy for him; it was just that it would just change things.  She had never been comfortable with change; it took her too long time to adapt, to set down roots.  And once she did, it seemed those roots were forcefully pulled from the ground.  Feeling that uncomfortable burning in her chest, like she was going to give herself a panic attack at any moment, she stood abruptly.  “I’m going for a walk.”

 - “Yah, wae?!”

 - “I’m going to say hi to Imo JanDi.” 

JanDi’s shoulder was much improved with new medical techniques and two surgeries later, but she still couldn’t swim for hours or even consider competitive swimming.  Her boys were excellent swimmers and that made her happy.  While InSo was being groomed as the Shinhwa heir, InBok was free to pursue any passion he wanted and it looked like perhaps one day he could fulfill her dream of becoming an Olympic swimmer.  For the meantime, she sat at the edge of the water, making sand castles with whatever tools she could find and wishing she were back at the house with the rest of their friends.  Laughing to herself, she created what could pass as their home and drew stick figures for the family.  JanDi-ah, I need you to watch my excellent surfing skills,” she deepened her voice, pretending it was her husband’s.

- “Yah...Gu JunPyo...Na have already seen your excellent surfing skills.  Let me go help Ilana and the  yeoja with food.”

 - “Ani, ani...your place is next to your adoring husband.”

 - “Aigoo...greomyo, hajiman everyone will think you have me kidnapped.”

 - “Mollan anjii...everyone knows how much nae anae loves to admire me and be at my side.”

JanDi fell back in a fit of giggles protecting her eyes from the sun when she felt a shade suddenly come over her.  “Mwo?”  Uncovering her eyes, the first thing that drew her attention was a pink and purple umbrella, dotted with butterflies.  Slowly panning her eyes down the handle, she saw HaEun’s face and sat up looking as pink as the umbrella.  Yah...how long has adul been standing there?”  She stood with her hands on her hips trying to look authoritative to her 5’9” son.  That hadn’t worked since he’d been taller than her.

 - “For ten minutes...should we call abeoji to come see your artwork?”

 - “Yah!”

 - “Anhiya, Imo!  Oppa is teasing Imo!”

 - “Ah...deh...ara.  HeEun-ah is good chingu to adul and keeps him in line.”  JanDi giggled.  “Sunbae, HaEun’s abeoji, tried to keep InSo’s abeoji in line sometimes but it didn’t always work.”

 - “Eomma!  Neaga telling abeoji!”

 - “Ara InSo won’t breathe a word or he’ll be spending all his spare time in the clinic with his Noona or at Master’s restaurant.”

 - “Eomma wouldn’t dare; abeoji wouldn’t like it.”

 - “Abeoji trusts your Umma completely when it comes to you namja.”

 - “Eo-mmaaa...saranghaeyo, Eommoni.  My Eommoni is the most daeback Eommoni.  Je, Eommoni nomu gwiyowyo would never be a tyrant and send her favorite adul to such harsh labor.”

 - “Harsh labor?  Why you...Adul doesn’t know the …”meaning

 - “Oh no...HaEun-ah, cover your ears.  Eomma is about to tell us how she worked three jobs and still went to school.”  InSo stood behind HaEun and then began to run.

 - “Yah!  Come back here and let me pull your ear!”  JanDi took off after him but knew she was no match for his long legs.  Once he dove back into the ocean, she stopped running.  JunPyo had just paddled out to wait on a wave and waved at her.  JanDi smiled and waved back.  InSo’s head popped up somewhere near his Father and waved at her.  JanDi shook her head at her son and turned back, chuckling to herself.

HaEun stood by watching the silly pair, thinking of her Umma and namdonsaeng.  They were always play-fighting with each other.  JanDi approached her son’s friend.  “HaEun-ah, mian...na scared off your chingu.  Adul really is a good and respectful namja.  We like to play around sometimes.”  JanDi wasn’t sure if HaEun had ever seen her and the boys in action and wanted to clear up any misunderstandings.

 - “Gwenchanayo, Imo.  Umma and nae namdongsaeng are the same way.  Appa is always scolding them.  As soon he notices a bruise on Umma, they get an earful.”

 - “Aigoo,” JanDi smiled, imagining Jihoo’s scolding face.  Your poor Umma.  HaNeul is not much shorter than HaEun and even KyuHa is about five or six centimeters taller.  And for all Sunbae’s scolding Ilana doesn’t stop.”

 - “Deh!  Poor appa worries Umma will get very hurt one day.”

 - “Ara, hajiman the namja would never hurt your Umma.  There’s a special bond between Umma and adul.”  JanDi knew HaEun was a sensitive girl and hoped her words hadn’t upset or made her feel unloved by her mother.  “When HaEun-ah becomes an Umma she will understand.  It is the same between Appa and dtal, deh?  The way HaEun’s Appa looked while dancing with his dtal...HaEun’s namdongsaeng could never compete.”  HaEun smiled softly thinking of her precious Appa.  HaEun’s chingu has been detained it seems.”  The two looked toward the ocean where he was body surfing with his dad and HaNeul, boards forgotten.  “Gwenchana, he’ll be back, adul gets distracted easily hajiman always remembers his chingu sooner or later.”

 - “Deh, Imo.”

 - “Anjayo and help me build a sand city, deh?  Unless HaEun wants to sit in the shade with JeongHee and JeongJa?”

 - “Anieyo, Imo!”  Not that HaEun really wanted to be in the sun but she didn’t want to say “no” to InSo’s mom“Gwenchanayo!”

 - “Chinchayo?”

 - “Gueraeyo!”

 - “Arraso...hajiman let me spray your shoulders with sunscreen.  Na don’t want HaEun to burn.”

 - “Kansamnida, Imo!”

After a little while, HaEun forgot she didn’t like the sun or getting dirty and was enjoying her Aunt JanDi’s chatter about how she met Harabeoji while working at her master’s porridge shop.  “Aww Harabeoji bogoshipoyo.”

 - “Deh...ara HaEun’s Appa does too.  Thankfully HaEun’s Umma and you kids were there to comfort him.”  HaEun’s eyes began to mist over just thinking of how sad her parents looked at that time. “Oh!  HaEun-ah, gwenchana?  Mian, I’ve made you sad.”

HaEun quickly wiped her eyes with a part of her arm not covered in sand.  “Anieyo Imo...je paboya that cries over everything.  Je promised myself I wouldn’t be childish anymore.”

 - “Paboya, anihya!  HaEun’s tears are precious and Hananim saves them all, whether they be happy or sad.”

 - “Deh, Imo...it’s just compared to Umma and Appa and even InSo, HaNa, and JeongHee’s Appa-deul je don’t think je have anything worth crying about.”

 - “Algesumnida, hajiman it just means HaEun has a pure and sensitive heart.  Choah that adul and HaEun are such good chingu because he’s the same way; though he may not always show it.”  HaEun smiled knowing that she and HaNa and JeongHee were privileged to see a side of InSo that others don’t get to see.  “HaEun-ah...,” JanDi suddenly stopped working on her sand sculpture.

InSo had gotten distracted by the calm waters and, JaeHyeon, who began a water relay with all the guys, (except for JaeWook who’d gotten lost somewhere with HaNa) while their dads and Kim HyunJoong cheered from the shade covering and a cool drink in their hands.  JunPyo looked fondly over at his wife and HaEun, suddenly missing his InHei.  She would be in class but he sent her a message anyway.  “Bogoshipo...come for dinner this week.  Gwenchana, bring Isabel too.”  He knew the two were attached at the hip.  InHei rarely came home for meals, often eating at Shinhwa, studying late, and grabbing a quick breakfast to go, she was out the door before he was even awake.  He knew HaEun was too polite to ever tell his wife “no” and decided to rescue her.  The boys had finished their race and were now playfully dunking each other into the ocean.  “I’m going for a walk,” he announced.  InSo-ah!”  He called out from the shoreline.

 - “Deh, abeoji!”  InSo was a little winded from their water play.

 - “Na want your Umma back and she’s stolen your chingu.”

 - “Aish!  Na left HaEun alone.”  JeongHee and JeongJa were napping under their umbrellas and HaNa and JaeWook were having their own water play further down the beach away from all of them.  Kajayo, abeoji.”

 - “May I ask a favor?”  JanDi asked.

 - “Greomyo, Imo!”

 - “HaEun-ah...cherish your friendship with adul.  Never let anyone come between you.”

 - “Greomyo, Imo…”

 - “Neaga telling HaEun this because yeoja are more mature than namja and HaEun is the most sensitive out of all of you.  It will be your job to protect the friendship HaEun, Adul, HaNa, and JeongHee have formed.  You’re like the second generation F4.  If something happens to cause resentment between you four it will hurt all of you.  Greon, if you ever find yourselves in a position that might cause your friendship to be hurt, don’t do it.  Naega telling HaEun from experience.”

 - “Umma, what experience is that?”

 - “Aish!”  JanDi placed a hand to her chest from fright.  “How many times have I told adul not to sneak up on me like that?!”

 - “Na didn’t sneak up on Umma, Umma just didn’t see me.”

 - “Annyeong hasseyo, ajussi!”  HaEun stood to greet her uncle JunPyo.

 - “Deh...HaEun doesn’t mind if Na steal anae, deh?”

 - “Mollan anjii, ajussi.”

 - “InSo Appa!”  JanDi didn’t want to be stolen.

 - “Kaja, the evening is nice.  We should be heading to Jihoo’s place soon.  Let’s walk for a little bit.”

 - “Arraso.”

 - “Oppa didn’t walk with me,” HaEun gave her friend a hard time while they watched his parents walk away.

 - “A thousand apologies gongju mama, don’t behead this rotten servant and grant him another chance.”

HaEun laughed at her friend who was on his knees pretending to beg for forgiveness.  What will Na do if Oppa ever does something wrong?  How will I know you’re being sincere?”

 - “That’s easy, Gu InSo is perfect and never does anything wrong so there will never be a reason to truly ask you for forgiveness.”

 - Ooppa!!”  HaEun groaned while he laughed.  InSo loved the way she scrunched her hair face at him when he did something to annoy her but she wanted to laugh anyway.  He didn’t know Ilana sometimes did the same thing.

 - “Na gongju is kyoptaGreon, what was Umma telling you?”

 - “Anieyo, just never to do anything to jeopardize our friendship.  She said Oppa, Na, HaNa, and JeongHee are like the new F4.”

 - “Nah Abeoji was the leader; it’s my job to protect his legacy.”

- “Deh, Oppa,” HaEun grinned as she agreed with him.

 - “Maja!”  He wasn’t sure what that grin meant but had a feeling she was making fun of him.

 - “Greom!  Let’s catch up to HaNa unnie and JaeWook Oppa.”

 - “Deh...they’ve been on a date, long enough.”

 - “JanDi-ah...what were you plotting with HaEun?”  Knowing his sometimes high strung wife and how seriously she was talking with HaEun, something was up.

 - “A-a-amogotdo!”  She looked over at the ocean and not at her husband who could easily tell she was lying.  “We were just making sand sculptures!”  Remembering a part of the conversation she could freely share with her husband, she blurted out:  “Na told her Adul, HaNa, JeongHee, and HaEun are like the new F4 and-and to keep their friendship safe!”

 - “Ani, na don’t want adul to follow in nae footsteps in that sense.”

 - “Aside from Jihoo, YiJeong, and WooBin, na can say naega ashamed to remember the things I instigated as its leader.”

JanDi faced her husband and took his hand.  “Ani, it would be a shame if you still terrorized people but you can say you’ve moved on and became a better person for me and InHei and the boys.  Their abeoji works hard so that thousands of people have somewhere to work and provide for their families.  You’ve made Shinhwa yours without stooping to threats and selling your family like your parents did.  Gu JunPyo has really become great.”

JunPyo put on his arrogant mask. Become?  Gu JunPyo has always been great!”  JanDi scoffed at him and rolled her eyes.  InSo said the same things just to make her and InHei cringe.  JunPyo became serious again and tucked her arm in his.  “Jeongmal, JanDi...I hope you’re not scheming anything with HaEun.  Let things happen or not on their own.”  He wasn’t oblivious to his son’s close friendship with Jihoo’s daughter.  He was the chairman of a conglomerate; he needed to pay attention to details and his surroundings.

 - “JunPyo?!  I don’t know what you mean?”

 - “Ara you mean well, just don’t try to sway matters one way or the other.”

 - “A-anieyo!”  She laughed nervously.

JunPyo stopped walking.  arraso?”

 - “Chinchayo...na don’t understand…”

 - “JanDi-ah...arraso?”

She lowered her head a little, in resignation “Arraso…hajiman...JunPyo, nah just…”

 - “Alguesubnida...don’t start counting the eggs before the chickens.”

JanDi stood perplexed; he never could remember the idioms correctly.  Caught off her guard, JunPyo had picked her up and carried her into the ocean before she could blink.  “Gu JunPyo put me down!”

 - “Kisseu, then I’ll think about it.”

 - “Anieyo!  Put me down!”  She didn’t see he was carrying her further and further into the water.

 - “Kisseu.”

 - “Put me down!”

 - “Arraso,” the water had reached her and he tossed her in, laughing.

Caught by surprise, JanDi sunk beneath the water’s surface for just a few seconds.  “Gu...Jun...Pyo!!!”  Coughing and sputtering, she emerged, looking much like an angry water dragon.  JunPyo’s laughter increased with her anger until he spotted a wave coming in fast behind them.  JanDi was treading water and would easily be caught up by the wave.

JanDi was still ranting at her husband.  “Gu JunPyo, do you think that’s funny?!  How could you do that?!  Do I mean so little to you?!  Jeongmal...every now and then…”

She was prevented from finishing her rant.  Her husband had already closed the gap between them and held her firmly against his body as the wave crashed over them and trapped them inside.  JaeWook and HaNa had seen the two adults get tumbled by the wave and went running.  They were expelled from the water looking like drowned rats and JunPyo hadn’t opened his eyes but still held on tight to his wife.  “Mr. and Mrs. Gu, are you alright?”  JaeWook was the first to appear on the scene.

 - “Deh…” JanDi coughed.  “JunPyo, gwenchana?”  JunPyo didn’t say a word but slowly a smile spread across his face, inciting his wife from worry back to anger.  “Gu JunPyo…,” managing to extract a hand long enough to slap his chest.  “...you jerk!”

 - “Umma!  Abeoji!”  InSo had seen the commotion and left HaEun behind.  The rest of the guys also began to run to toward them.  “Gu JunPyo-ssi, Uissanim, gwenchanayo?”  HyunJoong asked with concern in his voice.

 - “Deh…” JanDi grumbled.  “JunPyo let go of me, right now!”  The idiot was still smiling.

 - “This wouldn’t have happened if JanDi would have given her nampyon a kiss when he asked for one.”  Knowing she was either about to yell at him or punch him, he pulled her face toward his and captured his prize.

Struggling for a few seconds, she finally relented and gave in to his kiss.

 - “Chinchayo?  Abeoji?  Is this really the time for this?”

 - “Anytime is the time when you’re in love,” JungMin touched the boys shoulder.  The two bachelors, Kike and HyunJoong had already fled the scene with the other boys who just shrugged. Kaja, everyone, time to pack up.”

HaNa and HaEun looked at each other and grinned.  Sometimes the adults could be sillier than the kids.

 - “Gu JunPyo, pabo!”  JanDi tried to smack him again but he tightened his hold on her again as a wave broke over their feet.  JunPyo, we’re going to get pulled back in.”

 - “Oh, gwenchana…,” bringing her head back to his chest, not caring about the shallow waters surrounding them again.  “Na just want to enjoy this moment a little longer, juseyo?  They are too few and far between.”

 - “Deh...mianhae...ara I’m always busy and you work around my schedule.”

 - “Anieyo...JanDi works around mine.  We need more vacations like this one where work isn’t involved.  And maybe a few without the kids, deh?”  His chest bounced under her with his silent chuckle.

 - “Gu JunPyo!  Pabo…saranghae.”

 - “Nado…” he would have stolen another kiss but at that moment a wave covered her back and they quickly scrambled to their feet not to be overcome again.  Holding hands and laughing, they made their way back to where everyone was packing up.

 - “Choah!!  It’s so pretty!!”  JaeKyung said running up and down the stairs of the beach house.  The floor to ceiling windows offered a perfect 180 view of the ocean.  Different than their Spanish style family home, the beach house was a perfect blend of both Jihoo and Ilana.  He’d fallen in love with the artistic beach town and found the minimum hour (usually more) drive worth it just to get away from their busy routines.  He found himself making more and more excuses to make the drive South.  Whether for a date night or renting one of ILC’s homes for the weekend and packing up the kids after Soccer or taekwondo practice.  His wife had bought him a modest sized sailboat as a birthday gift the year after HaNeul was born and now it had a permanent home.  The yearly storage fee was better put to use toward the mortgage.

 - “Deh...na see Jihoo’s handy work.”

 - “Not just mine...Na wanted an almost seamless environment between the beach outside and the home inside.  And since our birthdays are both in March, I had the designers use agua and other shades of blue to accent the white, taupe, and brown.”  It was true, the walls, the stairway, the floors, and the baby grand he’d bought her were all white.  The rest of the furniture was a mix of a chocolate brown and sand or café latte.  Wall hangings and accent pillows were shades of aqua and teal.  The piano sat on a swirled carpet that looked almost like waves churning up the sand.  Two large chairs in teal blue were placed for relaxing and listening to the musical notes as they soared up to the ceiling and expanded for the benefit of their listeners.

- “When Jihoo Oppa tires of being a doctor he can come help me on the design team,” Mina joked.

 - “Anieyo gwenchanayo, Mina must know I had help from her Umma?”  Jihoo had been bursting at the seams to tell someone about the house but he couldn’t trust anyone not to tell his wife.  Mr. Rodriguez helped him with all the legal paperwork and making sure the house belonged to both him and his wife.  Fortunately Mr. Rodriguez was her legal representative and authorized to sign for her.  Mrs. Rodriguez became his liaison with the interior decorators.

 - “Chincha?  And she didn’t tell me?”

 - “Tío Alejandro even signed for me!”  Ilana told Mina.

 - “Aigoo...those two are going to get it when we see them later.”

 - “I’m sure it was worth the surprise,” KyuJong added.

 - “You know someone would have blabbed to Ilana,” Emily said, looking right at Jihoo for confirmation that her statement was valid but he refused to acknowledge.

 - “Yippeuda, chuckahaeyo Ilana.”  GaEul congratulated the couple on their purchase.  “Ara Ilana, how did Jihoo convince her?”  Other than being Jihoo’s wife and an easy person to like, GaEul and JanDi liked her because she didn’t act like a chaebol.  Ilana didn’t flaunt their wealth and preferred to live simply. 

 - “Oh...WooBin-ah, help me get the coals started,” Jihoo said, suddenly embarrassed about his rare impulse buy.

 - “Ah, deh, JunPyo messaged they were packing up.”          

 - “Oh!  I’ll go make the sangria for later,” Mina began walking toward the kitchen.

 - “I’ll he…” GaEul was prevented from completing her offered help when they all heard a yell, a grunt, and a “Mum!”

The adults had ended their tour on the third floor, in the office.  No one had bothered HaLee, who was conducting her own tour.

 - “HaYi-yah!”  Jihoo ran down the stairs, seeing the accident but unable to stop it.

 - “Oh God, SeoJunie!”  Emily ran down followed by everyone else.

 - “Mum!  Are they dead?”  JungSoon fretted, not daring to look.

 - “Papi!”  HaLee cried, obviously having hit the ground hard“Get him off of me!  SeoJunie, why are you so heavy?!”

 - “Adul!  Gwenchana?”  KyuJong and Jihoo helped the boy up who had landed stunned, on top of HaLee.

JaeKyung and Ilana helped HaLee onto her feet and wiped her tears.  At least nothing seemed like it was broken.  Chiquita, estas bien (Little one, are you alright)?”

 - “SeoJun-ah?  Care to explain?”  KyuJong addressed his son.

 - “Hokshina dtal should explain?”  Jihoo gave HaLee the angry parent look.

 - “It was epic!”  Park KangIl jumped at the chance to narrate “First HaYi goes sliding down…” about to demonstrate, KyuJong grabbed him by the t-shirt.

 - “Sweetie, we don’t need an instant replay,” Emily said.

KangIl was obviously disappointed.  “Anyway...HaYi said to wait until she got to the bottom…” Ilana grabbed JaeKyung and they blocked HaLee from sight of her angry Father.  “...but SeoJun went ahead anyway and he slid faster and then SeoJun slammed (he slapped one hand into the other) into her and whoosh they both went flying (raising his arms) and then splat!  It was great!”

Emily looked at her son who seemed embarrassed and sorry for having “splatted” his friend.  “Well as long as no one is hurt,” biting her lip not to laugh now that the scare was over.

Though Jihoo did find some amusement in the entire thing, HaLee endangered her friend and needed to be punished “HaYi-yah, apologize and go to your room.”

 - “He’s the one…!”  Ilana pinched her before she could continue talking back.  “Ow!  Mama!!”

 - “Hey!  What’s with the mood in here?”  Jaejoong, Abigail, HyungJun, and YiHyun had walked in.

Little kids had video and audio recorders in their brains that played back either out of context or the most inappropriate content.  “Mr. Kim, did you bring peanuts?!”  KangIl asked.

 - “Peanuts?”

 - “Ajumma Song said you’d be peanutting for a while?”  Emily, WooBin, and JaeKyung doubled over with laughter.  Ilana had no clue what was going on but now that everyone was distracted, she shooed HaLee away.  The child didn’t need to be told twice, neither did the others.  Except for KangIl who didn’t understand why they were all laughing.  “What?!”  Jihoo and Jaejoong held back their amusement while KyuJong shooed the boy outside.

 - “Waeyo?”  Ilana asked puzzled.

 - “Yeah, what was that about?”  Abigail asked.

 - “Nothing, jagi,” Jaejoong tried to keep a straight face.

YoungSaeng and Mina shrugged at each other, just as clueless.  “I think I’ll go make the sangria,” Mina headed for the kitchen.

 - “I’ll help!”  Emily followed.

 - “Me too!”  JaeKyung also left.

 - “Sarang?”  Ilana looked at her husband for an explanation of sorts.

 - “Namja, eeliwah...we should have already started the coals.”  Jihoo had some idea of what was being inferred and figured he needed to at least save himself from any embarrassing explanations and Jaejoong from Abigail.

  - “What’s all this about peanuts?”  HyungJun asked.

 - “Maknae…don’t ask,” KyuJong almost snapped at him, hurrying him out the door.

 - “Wae...you guys never tell me anything!”  He could be heard protesting the entire way.

Laughter was never lacking when the entire group was together.  It was an anything goes barbecue and as long as it could be thrown on the grill, it was fair game for consumption.  Alcoholic beverages were also not lacking.  Mina made her famous sangria and also tried something new in the form of a soju mojito.  Having made several batches (enough to fill two refrigerator shelves) and chilled for over two hours; there would be plenty to last the night.

The little kids, busy playing in the pool, only came out long enough to be hand fed a quick lettuce wrap or taco and quickly disappeared again.  The teens were having their own mini party to the side of the adults.  “HaEun-ah, try this, InSo had made her a lettuce wrap from grilled clams, kimchi, bulgogi, rice and anything else he could squeeze into the lettuce leaf.

 - “InSo-ah!  That’s bigger than her face!”  JeongHee laughed.

 - “Oppa, na think I’m capable of feeding myself,” HaEun smiled at her silly Oppa who was always trying to feed her.

 - “Deh, but HaEun doesn’t.  She spends the entire day studying or playing her instrument and forgets to eat!”  Having observed this behavior many times in their 15 years, InSo was speaking from experience.

 - “I’m not that bad, Oppa.”

Jihoo happened to overhear the conversation across from him. Anieyo...none can be as forgetful of eating as HaEun Umma.”

 - “I second that motion!”  Kike said.

 - “Yah!”  Ilana protested.

 - “If Brendon, Juan Carlos, and Nana were here, they would agree with your husband and me.  Chica, you’re overruled.”

 - “Add two more!”  Abigail jumped in.  “There were many times at the hospital she didn’t eat.  My husband is also a witness.”

 - “Chica...No que eras mi amiga (I thought you were my friend)?”

 - “Es pecado mentir (It’s a sin to lie).”

 - “Chistosa (Funny girl)!”

 - “Anyway, InSo can make JeongHee Noona a wrap if he likes,” JeongHee teased their friend.

 - “Oh…deh, Noona,” InSo proceeded to create a wrap for JeongHee, although not sure why he was suddenly embarrassed.

 - “Gomawo!” JeongHee said as he had handed it to herJeongmal masisseo!  InSo is always good at spotting yummy food!”

 - “Deh!  He always knows all the best street stands and off the path places to eat.”  HaNa agreed.

 - “Noona…”  He tried to stop HaNa from ratting them out.

 - “Adul?!”  Too late, JanDi overheard.  “Are you trying to get driver Gwak in trouble by ordering him to take you around the city instead of studying?”

 - “Anieyo, Imo!  InSo is very observant and large crowds catch his eye.  It must be good if there’s a crowd, deh?  Grom, sometimes on our way to my house to study, we’ll stop and take it back with us.  Maja, Unnie?”  JeongHee was quick to try and save InSo from getting into trouble.  None of them were allowed to wander freely through the city and had to beg and plead with their drivers and bodyguards to let them take a “different” route home.  And as delicious as the menu at Shinhwa Cafe was it just didn’t compare to street food.  Many times they’d left the campus during their lunch break.

 - “Jeongmal?  Dtal wouldn’t be lying to her Imo, deh?”  GaEul asked of her daughter.

 - “Greomyo Umma!”  They might sneak off campus from time to time but they usually called a cab service and not their drivers.  JeongHee rationalized her little lie in this way.

The F4 Father’s shared a conspiring look.  How many times had they skipped class and lived to tell about it.  Of course, times were different back then.  JunPyo was the only one whose parents somewhat cared if he didn’t follow the rules.  And even with the threat of war between the two Korea’s, they weren’t exposed to the random and senseless acts of violence that was common in this day and age.  In Korea, they were still known as the F4 and their children were also sometimes followed by reporters or “fans” and sometimes “anti’s” of Korea’s elite families.  Jihoo was grateful that his family escaped much of the attention by living in the US half the year and now the Songs were benefiting from a secluded life in Athens.

JanDi always worried about the boys, hoping they didn’t follow in JunPyo’s footsteps when he was at Shinhwa.  This meant she was harder on them than she had been with InHei and often inadvertently causing jealousy over who was the favorite.  "HaEun-ah, are your chingu telling the truth?”

 - “Deh?”  They never included HaEun on any major rule breaking, knowing she wouldn’t be able to keep her poker face under pressure from the adults.  Looking at her friends, she smiled a little unsurely “Deh, Imo.  Besides, Imo JanDi makes the best food and JunPyo ajussi always brings us treats when we study at InSo’s house.”

 - “If it’s my day off, Na will always make you kids anything you want.”

 - “Deh!”

So JeongJa and Yoon HaNeul gave each other a silent signal and they slowly moved from their place and disappeared before the adults could ask them the same thing.  Not that any of them did anything blatantly wrong but between black and white, even dark grey was not an option.

 - “Mina-yah, this sangria is the best; you’ll have to give me the recipe!”  Emily said, coming back with a second glass of the fruity wine mixture.

 - “Deh, hajiman this seoju mojito is daeback,” JaeKyung complemented.

 - “Anae has a future as a bartender if she desires.”  YoungSaeng teased. 

 - “And give up the frenzied world of marketing?  Enticing but I think I would eventually get bored.”

 - “Andwae!  ILC needs its best Marketing VIP!”  Ilana said.

 - “Maja!  Can I quote you back to Antonio?”

 - “Ooohhh...those are fighting words,” JungMin trembled in mock fright.  Now that ILC Seoul was well established, Mina and Antonio had a friendly competition going on regarding who could bring in the most customers.

 - “Anieyo!  Anieyo!  You’re both exactly where we need you.”

 - “Here,” Emily got up to serve Ilana a glass of the sangria.  “You’re better off complimenting Mina on her bartending skills.  You know her competitive streak gets fired up when you bring up your corporate marketing director.”

 - “At least Emily isn’t caught in the middle of the two.” JungMin still worked part-time for Antonio.  Usually, when Antonio has his eye set on a particular account and wanted to best his underling at ILC Seoul, he’d put JungMin in charge.

 - “Nampyon thrives on competition,” Suzy said.  “I’ll take a glass of the mojito, Emily, if you don’t mind.”

 - “He’s not the only one,” Mina said, looking directly at HyunJoong, happily munching away and not paying any attention to the conversation around him.

Hearing everyone laugh, HyunJoong lifted his head to see everyone staring at him.  “Waeyo?”  Wiping his mouth with a napkin. 

 - “Amogotdo,” YoungSaeng said.

 - “Have a soju mojito, it’s good for you,” Emily poured a glass for HyunJoong, since she was also pouring one for Suzy “And for our hosts?”  She looked at Jihoo and Ilana.  “I think one of each.”

Ilana still didn’t go out of her way to drink alcohol; usually she just took sips from Jihoo’s glass.  “Sarang doesn’t have to finish the entire thing,” he assured her.

 - “Does everyone have a drink?”  JaeKyung asked “We need to have a toast.  These gatherings only happen a few times a year.”

 - “We don’t have a drink?”  JaeWook chimed in.

 - “Muy chistoso (very funny),” his Mom replied.

 - “Adul shouldn’t tease Umma like that.”

 - “Umma knows I’m joking,” JaeWook flashed his Mother with his most charming smile.

 - “Yeah...being cute never saved me from Umma’s scolding.”

 - “Still full of yourself, aren’t you, Doctor Jaejoong?”  Abigail rolled her eyes at her husband.

 - “Deh...and my eyes are still greedy to drink in this exquisite beauty next to me.”

 - “Nope,” Ilana laughed.  “Jaejoong hasn’t changed one bit.”

 - “Nado agree with Sarang,” Jihoo seconded.

Abigail looked somewhere other than her husband who was very good at making her blush.  “I’ll toast to HaEun who gave us an excuse to get together!”

 - “Me?!”  HaEun laughed while the others toasted around her.

 - “Our gongju is jjang!”  InSo messed her hair.

 - “Deh!”  HaNa shouted.  “Who’d help Imo JanDi keep InSo out of trouble?”       

 - “Gwenchana, InSo Umma is Wonder Girl.  She has a lot of experience keeping the Gu namja out of trouble,” WooBin answered.

 - “Deh!  JanDi even has a certificate of achievement for taming the F4.”  GaEul blurted out, laughing (having had one too many of Mina’s sangria) and a little too loud.

 - “Na think anae should drink more water,” YiJeong whispered in her ear making her turn pink, not that anyone could notice.  “Kyopta,” he winked.

 - “Hajima!”  She swatted at him and missed.  The ex-Casanova brought his arm around her and settled her head against his shoulder.

While most of the boys, JaeKyung, and JanDi were still eating and the rest of the adults (those driving anyway) were slowing down their drinking), HaEun, JeongHee, and her sister, JeongJa, and the rest of the 2017 borns were ready to burst if they didn’t get up and start moving around.  “I want to go for a walk!”  JeongHee stood and pulled HaEun first, and then InSo, up from their chairsUnnieeeee stop eating!”  HaNa had just popped yet another lettuce wrap into .  

 - “Wae?!  Everyone knows water play makes you hungry.”

 - “Did she swim the entire pacific ocean?”  JaeHyeong muttered unable to keep from picking on his brother’s unofficial girl.

 - “Yah!”  JaeWook flicked his brother on the head. Let’s go for a walk,” JaeWook stood up.

 - “Adul don’t wander too far,” Jaejoong gave his oldest son a meaning stare.

 - “Sure, dad?” JaeWook wondered why his dad was giving him that odd look.

 - “Namja, be gentlemen and watch over the yeoja.”

 - “Gwenchana, KyuJong ajussi, JaeWook, InSo, and HaNeul are always gentleman,” HaNa said.

 - “Haha!  KangMin-ssi and JaeHyeon-ssi aren’t gentleman,” JeongJa teased.

 - “Shut up, JeongJa,” KangMin complained.

 - “I’m telling!”

 - “JeongJa-yah, KangMin-ah...knock it off or you can go back and sit with the adults.”

 - “Wait for us!”  Mateo and Valentino had been distracted by HaLee’s dives.  The little girl was always entertaining to watch.

 - “Who told them to come,” InSo mumbled.  There was something about Mateo that bugged him; especially as he wormed his way between JeongHee and HaEun.

 - “HaEun, when will your parents come to my dad’s foundation school again?  You should really come with them.  The kids love it when Tia Ilana and Tío Jihoo play their instrument for them.”

 - “Oooh, the thought of going there makes me so sad.  I know Umma and Abeoji have been too busy to visit.  I don’t even know how Umma can stand it...the memories.”

He and his brother had never been told exactly everything about his aunt’s involvement in the foundation.  Kike hadn’t thought them mature enough and they had never been curious enough to ask.  “Well, why?  Thanks to Tia and Dad, they have someone on their side.”

HaEun was a bit shocked at how lightly Mateo spoke of what happened to her mom.  Why?”  HaEun’s voice shook, trying to decide if she wanted to cry or wanted to get angry. Yes, out of something horrendous came such a blessing for those kids.  The Lord really does exchange beauty for ashes but I just don’t know how she has the strength.”

The sixteen-year-old was just not getting it.  “It’s not that hard to play your instrument for some kids and watch them play games.  Valentino and I have to actually do hard stuff like painting and gardening.  It does take more than money to run the center.  I don’t think of Tia as someone who washes her hands of taking responsibility with money.  Her picture is on the walls as a founder, it shouldn’t be that hard for Tía and Tío to visit every now and then.”

 - “Mateo...how could you say that about Umma?”  HaEun was close to tears.

 - “What’s the big deal?”  He believed strongly in his dad’s foundation and if his aunt believed enough to help his dad fund it than he didn’t understand why they didn’t visit more often.

 - “What’s the big deal?!”  HaEun raised her voice (which never happened).

 - “Well…” Mateo didn’t understand what was wrong with her.  “Tia and Tío shouldn’t feel burdened to come to the foundation; they’re sharing some happy moments with those kids.”

 - “Happy moments?  Mateo Martin, how could you be so insensitive?”  HaEun took off walking at a fast pace.

InSo and HaNeul had gotten distracted from HaEun and Mateo as they were busy with KangMin and JaeHyeon trying to push each other toward the water.  InSo caught sight of HaEun running away from Mateo back toward the house.  He knew right away, something was wrong.  Their princess never ran and if that wasn’t enough, she had wiped at her face.  “HaNeul-ah, your Noona is crying.”

 - “Mwo?  Kajayo!”  The two took off as Mateo ran after her but she wouldn’t stop.

Valentino had been listening to the conversation as well and didn’t understand why HaEun had gotten upset but he also knew their dad would kill Mateo for making her cry (intentional or not).  “Yah…”  InSo grabbed Valentino by the neck while HaNeul chased his sister “Why is HaEun crying?!”

 - “Hey...get off of me.”  The two scuffled trying to overpower each other.  Valentino was tall and lean like his dad was at their age while InSo was tall and had some muscle definition from his Taekwondo training; he could easily overpower the older boy.

 - “Mateo, stop right there!”  HaNeul figure he’d deal with Mateo, first.  Though he would never use his Taekwondo offensively and would most likely be punished for it but for now, he did a jumping kick right into Mateo’s back knocking him face first into the sand.  Pulling the other boys arm behind him, completely disabling him.  “What did you do to my sister?!”

 - “Knock it off!  Let go!”  Mateo struggled against his attacker.

 - “Why is she crying?  I told you not to upset her, didn’t I?”

 - “I didn’t do anything!  Let go!”

 - “No?  You showed up with a bad attitude yesterday and now she ran off crying.  How’s that not doing anything?”

 - “We were just talking!  She called me insensitive and ran off.”

 - “She wouldn’t have called you insensitive without a reason.  What did you say?”

Mateo felt HaNeul easing his hold on him and managed to lift himself up on the arm that wasn’t pinned behind his back.  Though surprised, HaNeul easily avoided the head that would’ve connected to his mouth or nose but now he no longer had the upper hand.  Mateo managed to get out of the hold and pin HaNeul under him.

The other kids had stopped walking; not understanding what was going on.  JaeHyeon, KyuHa, and KangMin wanted to go assist HaNeul and InSo but were surprisingly stopped by JaeWook.  “The twins have been asking for a beating since yesterday,” he said.  “But if we make too much noise, the adults will be on us in a second.  Let them work out what they need to.  I doubt anyone will get killed.”

 - “JaeWook-ssi!!  That’s a horrible thing to say!”  JeongHee said, horrified at the idea.

 - “Mollah,” he shrugged.

HaEun ran past the adults on the patio, removing her shoes, and running up to her bedroom.  Ilana, who missed holding her babies, had a sleeping Park Suji on her lap.  The four-year-old had happily made herself at home after way too much water play and fell straight to sleep, chlorinated hair and all.  “HaEun looked upset.”

 - “Here, give me Suji,” Suzy said.

 - “I can go see what’s wrong,” Mina offered.

 - “No...thank you, but I’ll go.”

Jihoo also stood.  “I’ll catch up with the kids and try to find out what happened.

 - “I’ll go with you,” Kike offered.

 - “Nado,” YoungSaeng and KyuJong joined them.

 - “Beba,” Ilana knocked on the door that wasn’t all the way closed.  “May I come in?”

 - “Deh...Umma,” HaEun replied softly while restoring the pillow she had been clutching.

 - “Gwenchana?”  Ilana sat on the bed with her.

 - “Deh, Umma.  Mianhaeyo for worrying you.”

 - “Ani...it’s your special time, why are you sad?”

 - “Nae paboya,” she sulked.

Ilana laughed; that was the exact same line, she gave Jihoo when she didn’t want to talk about why she was upset.  “Mianhae, Beba...you inherited that from me.”

 - “Umma…” HaEun groaned.  “Chinchayo, it’s not that big of a deal.”

 - “It’s a big deal to you,” using the line Jihoo always gave her. 

 - “I’m a woman, now.  I shouldn’t be so oversensitive.”

 - “Mmm but just because you’re a woman, doesn’t mean your heart has turned to stone.  It still feels every joy and every sorrow.  Sticks and stones may hurt but so do words.  Did one of your friends say something to upset you?”

 - “No...yes...mollahyo!”  She threw herself back on the bed and Ilana did likewise.

 - “Well, if we do Eenie-Meenie-Minnie-Mo, “yes” will win.  Should we try Rock-Paper-Scissors?”

A hint of a smile began to grace her lips.  She couldn’t stay upset for very long.  It ate at her heart until she had to smile or die.  Ilana turned to her daughter, also smiling.  “Ready to talk about it?”

HaEun shook her head, “no” but opened anyway.  “Why is Mateo Martin so mean?”

 - “ I didn’t know that but…maybe he’s not mean and just doesn’t know how to be friendly to you.”

 - “Umma...that doesn’t make sense.”

Ilana laughed.  “No, it doesn’t, does it?  Mianhae, Beba, I’m not a boy and don’t pretend to know how they think sometimes.  Perhaps Appa is the one to talk about this with.”

 - “Anieyo Umma, na don’t want him to get upset over nothing.  It’s just he talked so flippantly about his Appa’s foundation and...and...I don’t want to talk about it.”

Ilana wondered what the boy could have said about the foundation to send HaEun into tears.  It didn’t take much and he should know that by now.  Ilana cuddled her daughter’s head against her chest as if she was still a baby.  “When I’m upset and I can’t put feelings into words just yet, I just want your Appa to hold me.  You’re so much like Appa; he’d rather figure it all out before he comes to me.  But when Appa’s not home I play Fur Elise until my fingers go numb.”

 - “I like to play my violin when I need to think.”

 - “Just like Appa.  We didn’t bring your violin but there’s the piano...pound away at the keys instead of your friend.”

HaEun tried not to laugh at the image of her trying to “pound away” at Mateo.  “He’s not my friend,” her walls came back up and the stoic face she inherited from her parents blocked the smile that had been trying to escape.

 - “Fine...your cousin then.”

 - “HaNeul-ah!”  Jihoo shouted as he, Kike, KyuJong and YoungSaeng caught up to the four brawling boys.

 - “Mateo, Valentino - knock it off!”  Kike also shouted to no avail.  In the heat of the fight none of the boys heard anything; they were going at it like fighting stags locking antlers.  With a jumping scissors kick, Jihoo knocked into his son and Mateo, while Kike and YoungSaeng stepped into the fight between InSo and Valentino.  KyuJong began to assess if there was any immediate damage that might need repairing.

HaNuel and Mateo didn’t quite understand how they ended up on the floor until they noticed several pair of feet surrounding them.  HaNeul realized he was looking at his dad’s White Michael Kors leather sneakers “Get off,” he said through gritted teeth, shoving a still stunned Mateo.

 - “It’s not like I wanted to fall on top of you…” Mateo complained.

 - “Just shut up, will you?”  HaNeul dusted sand off his body, trying not to look at his Father’s carefully hidden anger at finding his son brawling on the beach.

 - “The only thing I want out of either of you is an explanation,” Jihoo said.

 - “That goes for you too,” Kike addressed his own boys.

InSo, seeing that neither of his parents were around tried to silently fade into the night but was caught by YoungSaeng.  He didn’t work with JungMin and HyungJun for five years without learning how to deal with fighting, practical jokes, and avoiding responsibility for it all.  “Anieyo...I’m sure your uncle Jihoo will want to hear your story too.”

HaNeul sighed, coming forward to bow respectfully to his dad.  Mianhamnida...we got...carried away.”

 - “We?”  InSo mimicked.

 - “I don’t care who started it,” Jihoo said“HaNeul will be dealt with at home.  Until we leave, he can sit upstairs, alone and with no electronics.”

 - “Abeoji!!”

 - “I don’t want to hear it.  InSo I will hand you over to your parents.”

 - “Hajiman...!!

Jihoo was not swayed in the least.  “Which of the four made HaEun upset?”

On that, at least HaNuel, Valentino, and InSo could agree.  “He did!”  The three shouted at once, pointing at Mateo.

 - “Did not!”  Mateo tried to defend himself.

 - “Son?  Who’s telling the truth?”  Kike asked.

 - “Tio, he’s always bothering her.  He knows she doesn’t like his jokes and pranks but he still does it.”

 - “HaNeul-ah, ajussi Enrique wasn’t talking to you.”  Jihoo scolded his son.

 - “Why were you disrespecting your cousin?  If Valentino repeatedly does something to bother you, you get angry.  Don’t you think she gets angry at you for bothering her?”

 - “Papa!  I didn’t do anything!  I just asked her when she would come with Tio and Tia to the foundation school and she got upset and called me insensitive.”

 - “Tch...maybe you are…?”  InSo muttered, getting slapped on the back of the head by YoungSaeng.

 - “Yah!  You can’t do that to me?”

 - “You?!  Ara your Umma and Abeoji didn’t raise you to be disrespectful?”

 - “Anieyo…” InSo suddenly found the sand very interesting.

Kike looked up at Jihoo.  “Does she know?”

 - “Yes, both she and HaNeul know but I don’t know why she would have gotten upset at Mateo.”

 - “I’m sure he said something wrong,” InSo said.  “HaEun doesn’t start crying just because.”

 - “Alright, that’s enough,” Kike said.  “Instead of trying to find out why she was upset, you four started brawling as if you were a bunch of drunks outside of a bar.”

Jihoo cringed at the analogy, though true.  “Arraso, everyone back to the house.”

 - “HaNeul-ah, where are the others”  YoungSaeng asked, not seeing anyone.

 - “They went that way,” he pointed.  “They’re probably on the other side of the caves by now.”

 - “I’ll call KangMin’s social media number and start walking in that direction.  The tide will start to come in soon and we don’t want them stuck on the other side,” KyuJong started walking in the direction HaNeul had pointed at. 

 - “Deh...give me a call when you’re all on your way back to the house.”  Jihoo gave his son “the disappointed” look and began walking back to the house.  HaNeul followed as if heading for the gallows and on occasion turned his head to glare at Mateo.  Kike would make an impatient noise at the back of his throat and HaNeul would continue walking.

By the time Jihoo, Kike, YoungSaeng, and the boys returned, few of their guess were still outside on the patio and the sound of fierce piano playing was coming from the inside.  His wife and daughter were, it seemed, taking their frustrations out on William Gillock’s Jazz Prelude.

HaNeul marched into his room and closed the door quite loudly disturbing the concentration of the two pianists.  Suddenly they looked up finding they were no longer alone but surrounded by Mina, JaeKyung, Emily, GaEul and YiJeong.  Sharing a shy smile between them, Mother and daughter continued until the last note was played.  Mina whistled loudly and applauded.

“That was daeback!”  JaeKyung rushed over to them, leaning on the piano.

 - “You know...Jihoo...HaEun...Ilana...a concert at the So Museum…”  YiJeong hinted.

 - “We’ll start drawing up the posters, right now!”  Mina’s eyes glimmered at the prospect.  “A Musical Evening With the Yoon Family” or “Yoon Family Musical Evening”...

 - “Choah!”  JaeKyung clapped excitedly. 

YoungSaeng dropped InSo off in front of his parents, looking like a man overcome in a sandstorm.  His usually pristine clothing and hair were covered in sand.  “Adul!”  Both JunPyo and JanDi shouted in alarm at his bedraggled state and the fact that he came to kneel in front of them.

YoungSaeng stood by until the boy informed his parents of how he came to be in that position.  “Mianhaeyo, Abeoji.  Mianhaeyo, Umma.  Je...was caught...fighting with Mateo-ssi.”

 - “Mwo?  What did he do?  He had to do something to get adul so upset?”

 - “Gu JunPyo, it doesn’t matter what the other boy did.  He shouldn’t be fighting at all!”

 - “Sometimes it’s a question of honor.”

 - “Gu JunPyo...it’s honorable to walk away from a fight.”

 - “Says the yeoja who used her flying spin kick on me.”

 - “Yah!  That was different!”

YoungSaeng quietly left the Gu’s to their rather loud conversation and went searching for his wife.  He had seen a small gathering near the piano and headed straight there.  “What’s going on?”  He wrapped his arms around his wife.

 - “Orabeoni, YiJung suggested Jihoo, Ilana, and HeEun hold a concert at his museum.  Isn’t that the best idea?”

 - “Guerae!  It will ease our gongju’s career as a concert pianist.”

 - “Anieyo, Nino!”  HaEun protested.

Jihoo had stopped to scold his son for slamming the door and was now standing behind wife and daughter.  “If that’s what nae gongju wants to be, na won’t stop her,” he said, placing a hand on her shoulder.

 - “A-ppa…,” she said in that cute little lilt of hers when she couldn’t tell if her dad was making fun of her or not.

 - “Were you two playing?”  He asked of his wife.

 - “Deh, HaEun wanted to pound on the keys,” Ilana gave a knowing smile to her daughter.”

 - “Sarang, our gongju has never pounded on the keys.  That is Adul.”  Suddenly reminded of his son and pounding “Sarang, we need to discuss Adul later on.”

 - “Deh.  What happened?”

 - “Anieyo...later.”

 - “HaEun-ah play with your Nino, deh?”

 - “Deh, Ara Nino wants to play chopsticks,” she teased.

 - “Yah, what’s wrong with that?”

 - “Anieyo...Anieyo…”  HaEun didn’t let him off easy and made several improvisations to the fun waltz (music), forcing him on his toes to keep up with the musical genius.

HaNa and JaeJoong had parted ways with the group.  Sneaking a kiss to her cheek, he took off running.

 - “Yah!  That’s cheating!”  HaNa yelled and ran after him, quickly overtaking him and flying onto his back.

 - “Ah...JaeWook groaned adjusting to the sudden weight on his back.  “I forgot, my HaNa is a cute monkey.”

HaNa laughed.  “That’s what Appa calls Umma.  My Wookie’s back is so strong and comfy, I just want to stay like this.”  She brought her arms around his neck, resting her head against his.

 - “Monkey, I can’t breathe.”

 - “Oops!”  HaNa released her uncomfortable hold on his neck.

 - “Much better, Babe,” he shifted her more comfortably .

The others remained behind to give the couple their space.  JaeWook was pretty fit from swimming and running and HaNa was your typical underweight Korean teen girl.  She weighed nothing on his back.  They had settled into a quiet walk, enjoying the waves lapping against the beach.  “I don’t want to go back to Athens!”  HaNa suddenly wailed, bouncing in his hold.

 - “Yah, yah, yah!  Babe, do you want to fall?”

 - “Sorry…,” HaNa leaned forward kissing his cheek.

 - “Forgiven,” he turned his head and gave a peck to her adorable downturned lips (the kiss immediately turned her frown upside down).  “HaNa-yah, te quiere mucho, much (I like/love you a lot, a lot).”  HaNa giggled softly against his ear.  She knew a little Spanish, at least; it was much easier than Russian. that was certain.  “I like your laugh,” JaeWook swore it was a beautiful melody.  I like that about you.  Everything’s fun, life’s too short to be so serious.  There’s always something to smile or laugh about, right?”

 - “Mmm...Umma is a lot like that.  Even if she’s sad, it’s not for long.  There are times, Appa comes home really angry over something that happened at work and then Umma will smile at him and offer to rub his shoulders and Appa ogre goes away.”

JaeWook laughed and cringed at the picture of her Father being an ogre.  “Jagi, don’t exaggerate.  I’m sure your Abeoji isn’t an ogre.”

 - “Dehhhh!!  He can get really angry sometimes, it’s kinda funny,” the picture of her angry Father made her laugh and JaeWook stiffen under her.  “Gwenchana, he never gets angry at us and he’ll love my JaeWookie as much as I do.”

That was a concern.  His parents never gave them a restriction on dating.  His sister, Isabel, hadn’t really been in a relationship before leaving for Seoul.  She’d gone with friends to all her Junior and Senior dances but she wouldn’t say she was in a relationship with them.  And she had social media accounts that his Mom and Dad weren’t aware of.  So, as the second oldest, he didn’t even have Isabel’s experience to learn from.  Jagi...how or when will we tell our parents?  Let’s sit for a bit.”

 - “Let’s wrap it up for them for Christmas,” she said.

 - “That we’ve been secretly dating behind their backs for a year?  Jagi, Umma will blow a gasket.”

 - “Deh...Appa would too.  Eottokeeee?”  She was the one with all the ideas -always.  She would have to find a solution.  “Get your parents to come to Athens this summer!  I’ll tell Umma that I want Isabel Unnie to come for the summer and then she’ll say, let’s invite all of you guys!  Deh-Deh-Deh?!”  HaNa had stood up and was now rocking back and forth on her heels while holding JaeWook’s hand.

His HaNa was so cute when she was excited but he didn’t feel right about not telling their parents. How about before then, I tell abeoji and you tell your Umma and then we’ll get together in a few months at your place.”

 - “Deh...and then we can spend Christmas together in Seoul!  We can go out to dinner, go sledding, and watch the carolers...”

JaeWook pulled her back down so that he could wrap his arms around her back.  “No, babe,” he said sadly.  “It’s tradition, Harabeoji and Halmoni come to New York for Thanksgiving, through Christmas, New Years, and leave in the Spring.  Can you convince your parents to come to New York?”

 - “I won’t stop until I succeed!  HaNa fighting!”

 - “That’s my HaNa!”  Not resisting her adorable laughing cheeks, he gave one a slow kiss but when he slowly turned her face to give her lips the same treatment, KyuHa came running up to them.  “Aiiiyyy...Do you two need to be doing that right when I walk up?”  Whether JaeWook and HaNa officially announced their relationship or not, they weren’t hiding it from the rest of their friends.

 - “Shouldn’t I ask why you’re here, right at this moment?”

 - “My Nino, Uncle KyuJong, is waiting for us.  The adults want us back by the house.” 

 - “There goes our fun,” JaeWook complained.

 - “Yeah, not to mention we had to cover for you guys.”

 - “Alright, we better go…”

 - “This is so unfair...I have to wait two months to have some alone time with you again?”  HaNa complained as she stood.

 - “The moment we declare our relationship, I can guarantee we will no longer have "alone time" ever again."

 - “Deh...we’ll be followed by the secret service, everywhere!”

They were walking entirely to slow for KyuHa’s liking “Less lovey-dovey - our parents are bad enough - and more walking, please?  I don’t want to get caught covering for you guys.”

 - “Deh...KyuHa-yah, just keep walking and don’t turn back, I’m going to give JaeWook one more kiss.”  KyuHa groaned and did as he was told, muttering about them being fortunate it was dark enough and they were far enough away from the rest.

JaeWook bestowed his lovely girlfriend with the tender kiss he’d been cheated from by KyuHa’s arrival.  “Ara that’s not enough but it will have to do until we have time to ourselves again.  Maybe before we all leave tomorrow.”

 - “Deh, I think we leave in the early evening.”

 - “Then we’ll have a little time...I suppose I can be persuaded to wake up early and we can have breakfast together.”

 - “Guerae!  I’ll bribe JeongHee to be our lookout.”  HaNa stopped to pull his face down to hers for a quick kiss “Tag, you’re it!”  She said, before taking off running and grabbing KyuHa in the process.  “KyuHa-yah, come on, he’s going to get us!”

At twelve, KyuHa was a very easy going and friendly kid and still young enough to be amused by the silliest things.  “Oh no!!  Don’t worry, HaNa, I’ll protect you.  Let’s go!”  HaNa and KyuHa ran for their lives catching up with the rest of the group.

JaeWook, equally as fast, arrived just after them.  “Caught you two!”  He shoved his way in between them draping an arm around each set of shoulders.

KyuJong, walking alongside KangMin, had been looking back, making sure they were coming.  After they took their sweet time coming back, he didn’t buy the excuse of HaNa having challenged JaeWook to a race.

(Picture the baby grand in that empty space)

It was almost midnight, guests were spilled all over the house and grounds.  The younger kids had been forced out of the pool, showered, and dried off.  The fireplace had been lit and the latest animated movie played on the TV but no one was watching.  They were all bunched together on the couch like a litter of puppies.  The teens had come back from their walk starving again and had polished off any leftovers as well as what was left of the s’mores.  They sat around the outdoor fire pit either on their mobile devices or joking with each other.  HaNeul and InSo had snuck out of their detention and were discussing business with JunPyo, JungMin, and WooBin.  The younger teen girls were comparing the trendy new looks of their favorite idols both male and female, except for AhReum who was taking a turn on the piano with HaEun.  HaEun had forgotten all about her rancor of earlier and even allowed Mateo in her general vicinity.

Jihoo looked at the time and figured they needed to make their way north again.  He and Ilana were sitting on the floor, leaning against the wall, listening to their daughter and her friends play the piano.  Most of the girls had monopolized the chairs and Mateo and Valentino chatted softly with their dad and HyunJoong.  He was happy for his princess and proud of her.  It was her idea to bring “the family” together for her birthday.  They were scattered all over and yet they were blessed with the means to see each other a few times a year and have these huge family gatherings (where everyone was in the same place at the same time) every few years.

AhReum had tired but HaEun, like her parents, could play their instruments twenty-four hours a day if allowed.  She began plucking at the piano, finding a tune from the database in her fingers.  What came up was “All I Ask of You” from Phantom of the Opera.  Jihoo leaned his head against the wall, enjoying the music and the memory of Banpo Bridge, with his admin.  His movement had shifted his wife.  She’d dozed off and her head now came to rest on his shoulder.  “Mian, Sarang.”  He noticed an empty cup next to her with the remnant of burgundy liquid.  Mina or Emily had been keeping the glasses full.  “Sarang, how many glasses of Mina’s sangria did you drink?”  She mumbled something in her sleep, making him smile“Mwo?  Mian, Sarang, I didn’t hear you.”

Very faintly, she hummed along unconsciously.  And just as faintly, she mumbled:  Say you'll share with me, One love, one lifetime…”

Jihoo chuckled.  His wife’s sleep talking was rare nowadays but he’d be lying if he said he didn’t enjoy their sleep conversations.  Guerae, Sarang.  Gomawo, for letting me lead you from your solitude and leading me from mine.  Ilana Contreras, you know I love you.”  Sending a message to his son, to start packing up the cars, he then looked around to see who could help him get everyone mobilized and back on the road.  The next question was how to get his wife downstairs and in the car without waking her up.