Neugdae Pa

Wolves

Letters and numbers.

Jungkook was drowning in letters and numbers. Sighing as he typed on his new laptop, papers all around him, preparing a report that his father asked him to do. He held his cup in his hand, and realized it was empty, and now he had to make himself some more. Lessons, one after another was how he has spent his afternoon. Teachers who bowed and addressed him respectfully but spared him glances filled with a mix of disgust and disappointment. The disappointment had a reason and he could understand it, he was really new to this. The lettered and big numbers were still new to him, he mixed them up sometimes, and lost track of what he was writing or reading, and he typed very slowly on his laptop – according to his teachers. But he couldn’t find a reason for the disgust, but Jungkook had too much on his mind to linger on a flimsy glances.

He sighed, , if this is how he will be spending his days, then maybe being involved in gang matters was better.

Jungkook shook his head at his own thoughts, maybe caffeine will make this better. Caffeine makes everything better, so slowly, he stood up from his seat, stretching, groaning at his sore muscles. As he cracked his neck, he hissed slightly at the mild pain in his neck, the ink now embedded in his neck had an effect on him.

It was the picture of a wolf, he wasn’t snarling, nor was he baring his fangs, he was howling to the sky. Jungkook knows the organization he found himself in considered themselves as a pack of wolves, which is why the membership tattoo was a wolf, calling for his own. His hand lingered slightly on the tattoo, his skin didn’t feel different under his fingertips but the ink was there, and it made itself known by the slight tingling pain.

Jungkook was officially the heir to Wolves or as he heard them call it Neugdae Pa.

If the lessons and papers he was drowning in wasn’t enough proof then the tattoo on his neck was. His brother had literally screamed when he saw the tattoo, yelling as to why Jungkook would subject himself to that sort of pain. But he only laughed at his brother’s panicking expression and tone, and his brother laughed along.
They both deserved some laughter after everything they’ve been through.

But with all seriousness, Jungkook couldn’t have said no. His father told him that no one will acknowledge him as the heir, or their ‘Master’ as his father phrased it. Not being respected wasn’t an option, and with all honesty, Jungkook didn’t mind it that much. His skin was decorated with all sorts of scars; at least this tattoo was pretty to look at.

Pouring the bitter liquid into his cup, which was the fifth time today, grimacing as he remembers that fact. But really, caffeine didn’t make a difference as he won’t fall asleep anyways. He tried cutting caffeine completely from his life to fall asleep better but that didn’t work either. The clock on the kitchen wall ticked annoyingly, he glanced at it, Three it the morning. Great, it was three in the morning and he wasn’t even yawning yet.

He glanced at his wrist, the ink embedded there was for an entirely different reason. “혜중” It read his mother’s name.

Memory is why he had the tattoo drawn on the inner side of his right wrist. It was too always remember his mother, to always have her watch over him, and when he wants to do something bad again, he will just have to look at his mother’s name before throwing a punch or pressing the trigger. That’s what he had in mind, but it provided something else.

Something he wasn’t expecting; closure. Maybe seeing her closed coffin lowered to the ground was painful but it didn’t provide his mind a certain ending, perhaps this tattoo did, or maybe it didn’t, maybe Jungkook’s lack of sleep was catching up on him.

Jungkook sat on the stool in silence, the only noise being the irritating ticking of the clock on the all, holding the cup in his hand made him feel some sort of warmth. He tried to focus his mind not to stray where it shouldn’t or force himself to get up to finish the financial report that should be on his father’s desk in the morning. But oh well, he couldn’t force himself to do neither.

+

fate, luck. They both had nothing to do with him walking inside that office, leisurely, as he was invited, not escorted or called there.

Suga walked in wearing his ripped jeans, with a white shirt under a camo jacket, with his chains on, hands in his pocket. He’s worked hard to get here, he’s put lot of time and effort into the game, he’s done a lot of things to get here. The office was wide, a couch and two chairs at the side, a big study on the left, with two reading chairs, and a desk in the middle, and behind it was a throne where a king sat.

Phoenix was a king and Yoongi have always looked up to him. Ruthless, smart, never lost his , never let anyone disrespect him, and lastly, Phoenix lasted.
He wasn’t the sort of drug dealer or arms dealer who had some prime time and then pissed off some important people and got stabbed in the back by his own right hand to sit on the throne.

Phoenix ran a full organization, governed with rewarding loyalty. Though Suga believed fear governed well, and was how most keep their men together, it wasn’t how Phoenix did it. A business man in the eyes of the public (Even if they suspected he was dirty), a respected figure in the streets, a fairy God mother to the hood kids who work for him, and a cruel wild animal to his enemies.

“Suga.” Phoenix acknowledged as he walked in.

“Phoenix,’’ Suga greeted, standing in front of his desk, bowing his head and only his head to him. Suga never bowed fully, not to anyone, because bending in front of someone this way despite of their culture of respect, meant he was below. And he doesn’t like to believe he was below, only behind with a couple of steps, willingly.

“I’m glad you finally made up your mind.” Phoenix said, smiling slightly, he leant back in his chair, eyeing Suga. “The whole neutral act was getting old.”

Suga smiled back, “The recent tragic incident in Beijing, made me realize which side I wanted to be on.” He smoothly spoke, “But I think both you and I always knew I was going to join you, Phoenix.”

“You’re too smart for Chois, too wild for the Yakuza.” Phoenix said, still having a smile on his face, as if he’s won a bet with himself. “Too real for Chil Sung Pa.”

“Too Korean for the Yakuza.” Suga said, he didn’t say it to correct the man but to humor him and the king laughed slightly. “Plus I couldn’t handle the kickback from here, for joining a Japanese gang.”

Phoenix was still smirking, very amused. Suga walked towards his mini bar, continuing, “But for some reason, Japanese are still on high demand in Korea.” He said before asking how he liked his drink.

“Hypocrisy at its best.” Phoenix said, agreeing before answering him. “But still, we must play by the rules.”

“Of course, we mustn’t ever disrespect our heritage.” Suga spoke, calmly; he knew most old mobs had many issues with anything related to japan because of bad blood between them from the past.

Suga honestly believed grudges were idiotic and time consuming. If you had bad blood with someone, you take revenge. But if you are not capable of so, then stop getting personnel and let it go.

“You must wonder why I brought you here.” The man said, as he fixed his drink, this might be the most important drink he’s ever poured. “You are a smart boy. You’re a hard worker too, a hustler, you were able to make it here in your young age without any help from your family. I like that about you, you’re real, raw.”

“Thank you.” Suga said, sincerely grateful for the words.

“Plus, you don’t complain, or beat around the bush. If I ask you for something,” Chanyeol said, as Suga walked towards him with a glass of his drink, “you will make it happen.”

He put the drink in front of Phoenix, “Just give the word.”

“I won’t give the word,” Phoenix said, slightly confusing Suga. “My son will.”

Suga nodded, wanting to understand what was on the man’s mind. “Is he to be introduced?”

“He is to be involved.” Phoenix said instead. “Immediately. Appearances and impressions. I want the streets talking about him.”

“In fear?”

“Not particularly fear, just caution.”

“What can I do?” Suga asked, ready for any command.

“Stay by his side.” He commanded. “He’s new. Introduce him to the game, ease him into it.”

“Are you offering me a title as your son’s council or as merely one of his men?”

“Council.” He said. “First opinion, first chair in meetings, you would have his ear.”
It was a good offer, but Yoongi didn’t want to be a silent babysitter to the new Master. He didn’t work this hard, to end up like this.

“I am not used to being council.” Suga said, “You know me, I am a dealer.”

“It is an offer, not a command.” He said, “You would still have the promotion you deserve and you will still get it if you accept.” Phoenix offered, and now, Suga felt like the deal was a little fairer.

“Why me?” Suga wondered, why off all their experienced thugs and smart right hands that were used to standing in the back ground, he chose him?

“You think like him, you will understand each other. He is willing, but like I said, new.” Phoenix vaguely explained.

“I will consider.” He said, “If you would allow me.” He bowed his head to the king and the king excused him with a nod.

+

He was very lucky, to be here.

But the opportunity had lost his magic this morning, when they were sort of kicked out of their house, and all of their packed movable things were with Jimin and his sister as they climbed the hill where atop of it sat Phoenix’s estate. She complained, as she should and he assured her that they made it already.

“What are you going to do here?” She wondered when they got off the nearest bus stop to walk the rest of the distance, as busses didn’t make it here.

“Work.” He answered, like he always did.

She sat down on the floor at the gates when they made it. “Go ahead, Oppa. I’ll wait.” Jisoo said as she fished out her phone. Jimin grimaced at how used to this Jisoo was. They were so used to being on the streets, that his sister stopped feeling like the world will fall apart as she saw how life went on with just a couple more orphans to add on the streets.

“I’ll finish quickly, text that friend, see if you can crash with her tonight till I can get some cash.” He said as he sighed. “Don’t talk to anyone around here.”

She complained to him that she wasn’t a kid, but Jimin believed she was, they both were. He knocked on the gate, and he didn’t recognize the men who opened the door, they weren’t like Sehun or Suga, they were in suits, with guns strapped properly to their waist, unlike himself and everyone he knew who had gun in the their waistband of their pants. “Who are you, Kid?”

“My name is Park Jimin, Phoenix called for me.” Jimin answered, they told him to wait a second. One of them stayed with him, while the other spoke into the device in his hand.

“Who is she?” The man on the device asked.

“My sister.” He answered.

“What’s in the bags?”

“Our things. We sorta had a situation with our landlord.” Jimin answered.

In a minute, he was granted access, he spared Jisoo a glance but the security told them to come in, both of them. He had a death grip on their big suitcase who contained their whole lives, their whole existence.in a bag. Maybe that’s why he believed their existence was so insignificant. His sister gasped at the place around her and it hurt him,, she has never seen pretty places, only ty apartments and dirty streets, crawling with drug dealers and es.

He was led up the stairs, and he had a dreadful feeling in his chest, like the idea that something was horribly wrong and something was. Jimin didn’t belong here; he didn’t fit in the picture. In the picture of the wide office where behind a desk sat a man who can shoot him right now and no one would be able to stop him. Thank God Phoenix wasn’t like this, he might be ruthless, but he is fair.

He bowed a ninety degree, staying in position till Phoenix told him off, still, he kept his eyes down. Jimin always kept his eyes down.

“You called for me, Phoenix?” Jimin asked, polite.

“Yes. I wanted to check in, it’s been a while.” Phoenix said, and Jimin knew it was a damn lie. But its okay, such formalities were in order. “How have you been?”

“I have been good, Phoenix.” Jimin answered, which is also a lie, he guesses that lies were the only way to deal nowadays. “All thanks to your generosity.”

“I put you on a corner, I didn’t make money for you.” Phoenix replied to his grateful comment, stating a fact.

“We all live under your protection.” Jimin spoke, his gaze still on the ground, this time it wasn’t a lie, the only reason why Jimin and his sister were able to sleep at night in their ty neighborhood was because it was Phoenix territory and in Phoenix territory, no one gets hurt. “Me and my sister are very thankful.”

“How old are you, Jimin-ah?” Phoenix asked and Jimin answered quietly that he was nineteen. “Did you get your tattoo recently?”

“I had it since my father died.” He answered, suddenly aware of his surroundings, perhaps it was because they were speaking of him, it made him feel uneasy. “They said I had to be marked.”

They as in who he answers to, those who supply him, and he who delivers around territory. But Jimin didn’t have the easiest job in the world, proof of so, that he had to be marked at sixteen so he wouldn’t get gunned down. No one would gun him down knowing he was a wolf.

“Of course.” Phoenix nodded. “Do you run outside of our territory?” Phoenix asked him and Jimin feared if the conversation goes to the incident with Minho and the Chois.

“Yes, since least year.” He answered honestly, Phoenix was a fair man, and he should be completely honest if he really is in trouble. But what if Suga was wrong and it wasn’t an initiation, what if Minho had ed up and dragged him along? What if Phoenix brought him here to kill him? “But not without permission.”

“Permission…” Phoenix repeated, the gun that Jimin had glanced at when he walked in, before he kept his gaze down was sitting unused on the desk. “You’re very loyal, Jimin. I like that about you. It’s been three years, I haven’t heard a single thing about you. No trouble, no fights, you keep a low profile.”

“I work hard, Phoenix.” Jimin said, he suddenly looked up. “And I got a baby sister, I don’t want to start .”

“You are loyal, we’ve established that.” Phoenix said, as he suddenly caught his gaze, , looking up wasn’t the right thing to do. Jimin dropped his head again. “What I wonder, is who you are truly loyal to? Is it Neugdae or yourself?”

Jimin gulped, he was right and Suga was wrong. Jimin was being tried for treason at the hand of this cruel man. He was suspected to sell to Chois – after what they have done, for his own benefit. Slowly, Jimin let his body fall, and his knees hit the ground, this man had his sister in the house and Jimin had to find a way out of this. Though Phoenix was known not to kill women or children, he knows what happens to the families of traitors back in their territory where they idolize Neugdae Pa.

“You –“ He gulped before he answered, “I am loyal to you.” It wasn’t a lie, Jimin really was loyal to him, after all he knows, he and his sister would have never stood a chance in surviving if he hadn’t given Jimin a job.

“Get up.” He heard the man utter, he was shaking his head, yes, he wanted to frighten Jimin a little so he can say those words, but for God’s sake the boy was his son’s age, he wouldn’t even imagine thinking of shooting an orphan kid in his office. His cruelty had its limits. “I don’t know what you heard out there about me, but I’m not into making kids beg.”

Jimin obeyed, slowly, he doesn’t want his knees to give up on him and they felt like they might at the moment. “I will accept any punishment you decide.”

“We don’t hurt our own.” Phoenix said, and Jimin had heard the phrase from many of his superiors, they speak much like Phoenix does. He got his own underlings, reciting his words, if that doesn’t explain just how much Phoenix dominated his field then nothing else does.

“I would never betray you.” He said, desperate. “It was a – a misunderstanding.”

“The word got to me that you handled the situation well.” He said, “You are not in trouble.”

Jimin inhaled and exhaled closing his eyes, for second, relief washing over him, bringing the blood back to his pale face. It was quiet for a moment, but Phoenix fumbled with some papers on his desk before calling him, beckoning him to come closer.

“Here.” Chanyeol said and slowly Jimin looked up, he held an envelope. Jimin bowed as he received it. “This is your transmittal papers, to a new school. Both you and your sister.”

“What?” Jimin blurted, quite dumbly as he couldn’t function properly at that moment.

“You are going to my son’s school and you are going to keep an eye on him.”

What the ? Jimin thought, it went from being insanely frightening to insanely confusing all of a sudden.

“I don’t – I don’t understand…” Jimin said, confused and afraid, wasn’t the man juts threatening him a couple of minutes ago? “You want me to… spy on your son –“ He said before correcting himself, “ – Master?”

“Not spy.” He denied, in a questionable tone of voice. “… Befriend. I want you to be close with him, if you are, he will trust you. He will tell you things. –“

“…and I’ll report to you…” Jimin murmured quietly, he believes he has an idea of what he has in mind.

“Smart kid.” Phoenix smiled at him. But smart isn’t how he would describe himself, fast is how he would.

Jimin gulped, he knew he couldn’t say no, but he had to say something that is stuck in his throat. “If Master – if Master finds out I’m doing this, he will kill me.”

“You said it yourself, you are under my protection.”

He was given an opportunity to go to a prestigious school, but he risks a lot trying to spy on a boy who holds Seoul in his fist right now.

Jimin nodded, it was the only thing he managed to do. But he called for him, he handed him something else. An envelope. A white, packed envelope, full of cash. “I heard you were having some financial issues.” He said, narrowing his eyes at Jimin, “You should have come to me. What I said at your father’s funeral, they were not empty words.”

Jimin gulped, he remembers Phoenix and Kris coming to his father’s funeral, telling him that if he needs anything, he should come to them but Jimin knew better, though he did ask Phoenix’s connect in their territory for a job, and received one with his blessings. Nothing happened without Phoenix’s blessing.

“I…” He trailed off, hesitating. “I can’t accept this kind of money.”

“Yes, you can and you will.” Phoenix said, disagreeing. “I can’t let my own sleep on the streets.”

We are not your own, we have never been your own. Jimin thought but he only put the envelope on the office desk, and bowed. “Thank you for your generosity, but I got a job tomorrow. I’m pretty sure I’ll get enough cash.”

Phoenix eyed him, impressed, pride was a good trait to have in their business but it was one that leads some right into their graves. “You can stay the night. Till you can get to that job.”

Jimin wanted to say no, that he will not willingly let his sister sleep in a mobster’s house, but Phoenix had already dismissed him, fixing his eyes on his papers. When he was about to grab the door handle and leave, suddenly Phoenix called, “Jimin,” He said, looking up from the papers, “Don’t get on your knees for anybody. No one deserves that.” He said, He paused for moment; “Not even me,”

He exhaled harshly when he closed the office door behind him, as if he had been holding a breath. , he might be fair, but he can sure as hell be terrifying.

+

She’s never been to such a place.

Jisoo couldn’t look at her phone, or text that friend of hers, she couldn’t take her eyes off the portraits that seemed real enough that hung on the golden walls, at the bottom of the staircase. It was like a castle, like a fairytale castle, so big and huge, beautiful enough to witness a love story.

While in her trance, watching the portraits, a voice suddenly spoke to her, “Hey, can I get some coffee, please?”

Jisoo recoiled, turning around abruptly, she saw a boy, about her brother’s age if not older, black hair that fell on his forehead softly, sharp features that looked lovely if she concentrates enough. The tattoo on his neck had redness around it, but it was the detailed painting of a wolf howling to the sky.

He seemed to notice that he scared her, “Sorry,” He said, “Can I – uh, get some coffee?” He spoke quite awkwardly as if he really was sorry he scared her. Before she said anything, or explained to him that she wasn’t who she thought she was. “Thanks.” He said, walking away.

And that was how her brother found her in the mansion kitchen trying to operate the coffee machine that she has never used before. “Jesus, Jisoo where have you been?” Her brother asked, furiously worried. “What are you doing here, didn’t I tell you to wait for me outside?”

“This boy,” She said before lowering her tone, as if someone was eavesdropping. “I think he is Phoenix’s son, told me to make him coffee.” She explained, “So I am trying to make him some coffee.” She simply shrugged.

“Did he say anything else?” He asked carefully.

“No, I think he just thought I was a maid or something.” She said, tapping a button on the machine and it started making coffee, she smiled, ing finally, it worked.

Jimin sighed, weird keeps happening. “Okay, I want you to go upstairs, the third room to the right, take our things, and lock the door. Don’t talk to anyone else, Jisoo. No one.”

“Why?”

“Because Phoenix told me we can crash here till I get some money. Now go. I’ll bring Master his coffee.” Jimin spoke, he didn’t know if he was angry more of the situation he was suddenly put in, or that Jungkook has assumed his sister to be a maid and she just went with it.

“Okay, Oppa…” She said, sensing his anger, she patted his shoulder and walked away.

He found him in what he assumed to be a living room of some sort, having his laptop on his lap, groaning for a reason unknown to Jimin, he knocked before he entered with a cup of coffee. Apparently his job included drug dealing, and bringing his boss’s son his drink.

He knocked and seemed to get the boy’s attention, he bowed, “Master,” He said, putting the cup on the table before him.

“Hey…” He said, “You’re… Jimin, right?” He guessed. “From the funeral.”

“Yes, Master.” Jimin said, looking downwards. “You asked for coffee, so.” He said before bowing and turning to leave, wanting to walk away.

“What are you doing here?” He asked, confused.

“You asked my sister for coffee, Master, right?” He said, he wanted him to know that his sister wasn't a servant, hell, Jimin worked extremely hard, did things who were definetly illegal just so his sister doesn't have to be a servant for people like Master.

"Oh, shoot." The Park heir said, "I'm sorry, I didn't know she was your sister, Jimin." Well, whatever Jimin was expecting, he wasn't expecting an actual apology.

"It's okay, Master." He said, bwoing and turning around to leave.

“Wait, Jimin.” He called and he turned back, cursing in his head. He knew he should befriend the boy, but how can he befriend him, knowing he was such a dangerous man, the kind of dangerous that would get you killed if crossed. “You work for my father, right?” He started. “For Wolves?”

“Yes, master.”

Jungkook tried really hard to shake away the cringing feeling every time the guy calls him Master. When it came from the maids, or his father’s men, it seemed like it was title of respect, and it seemed as natural as it could be. But Jimin was his age, or younger, it seemed wrong, and sounded so in his head.

“What do you do?”

“I run for you, in our territory and out.”

Jungkook rightfully assumed that he meant running drugs. “Do you know how exactly wide our territory is?”

“I don’t know specifically, we add and lose some every once in a while in trades but I know its most of Seoul until the outskirts of Busan, that’s Chil Sung Pa territory.” Jimin answered.

“Are we enemies with them?” He asked, pulling his laptop off of himself, leaning forward, resting his elbows on his knees, trying to know as much as he could, drawing a map in his head may help him.

“No, Phoenix maintains peace.” Jimin answered. Jungkook seemed to want him to elaborate so he began; “Yakuza aren’t really problematic. Chil Sung keep to themselves, the Chois are wild but Phoenix knows how to keep them in check. Everyone else is too small to be a bother.”

“How does he?” Jungkook said, before he asked him to sit down, taking his coffee cup into his hand.

Jimin gulped, taking a seat, sitting at the edge of an armchair. “I don’t know the details, I’m just an errand boy.” he answered honestly, “But I heard once Phoenix shot a Choi higher up in a meeting because he made a comment about – uh –“

“About what?”

“About his, um,” He tried to think of a way to say this without being offensive of any sort. “His lack of… heirs, at the time.”

“It almost started a war, but they got the idea, that Phoenix isn’t an enemy they want to make I guess.” Jimin said, nervously tangling his fingers together. Even though he believed Phoenix wouldn’t want him to tell him these things but Jimin didn’t have the luxury of certain things, like refusing to answer, or proving himself useless if he said he doesn’t know.

Knocks interrupted their conversation, and a maid walked in. “Your father is asking for you, Master.”

Jungkook nodded, getting up, Jimin following, he passed him as Jimin was about to bow but he stopped, “One more thing,” He said, “What does, Min Suga do? The guy you were with at the funeral.”

Jimin gulped, why was the Park heir asking about Suga? “Suga is a high ranked dealer. He just joined.”

“Oh…” He trailed off, “Thank you, Jimin,”

“You’re welcome, Master, I’m glad I could be of help.”

+

“Council?” Jungkook asked, confused. “What does that mean?” the weather was cold, but comforting as the wind blew slightly, it was already dark outside. But Jungkook and his father weren’t bothered by the wind.

Chanyeol slowly sipped his drink, “You will understand when you start holding meetings.” He said, “It means the person who watches your back through and through.”

“Would you for once, explain something clearly?” Jungkook complained, for one time, he wants to ask a question and get a clear answer that doesn’t make him want to ask even more questions.

His father sighed and shook his head at his attitude. “Brat.” He called him, and Jungkook wouldn’t deny, he acted more or less like a brat around Phoenix.

“Do you have a council?” Jungkook asked, curious.

Phoenix scoffed, “No.”

“Then why do I need one?” Jungkook asked, trying to understand the picture he stood in, but his father seemed determined to keep something form him.

“Because I’ve been in the game since I was fifteen.” Phoenix revealed, harshly. “The day I will need council is when I am on my deathbed, writing you out of my will if you don’t stop asking pointless questions.”

“Jesus, okay.” Jungkook muttered in his chin, at his father’s harsh words suddenly blurted.

“I want Suga as your council, as your right hand, he knows his . He will introduce you properly, he will give his honest opinion, and he isn’t the type to flinch at your title – or glare.”

“Like Baekhyun? ” Jungkook smiled slightly, remembering how Baekhyun purposely avoids him since the time he came to wake him up, and Jungkook threatened he will shove his glasses down his throat if he doesn’t leave him the alone. “Isn’t he sort of like your council?” The funny thing was that, Jungkook doesn’t even remember saying that, the story was relayed to him by Kai who coughed a lung laughing his off. The same Kai that all of a sudden calls him master, though he feels like they were pretty familiar with each other. Familiar is an understatement considering that the thug was there as he killed his own step farther.

“You scare him purposely.” Chanyeol remarked and Jungkook didn’t deny.

“I want to see if I can make an impression,” Jungkook confessed, he admits he acts a certain way so he wouldn’t be called anything less than his father. “Like you do.”

“That’s good, and you’re doing well.” He complimented, though Jungkook hasn’t even done anything yet. “Don’t go too crazy, being psychotic will do nothing but put a target on your back, and cause murmurs.”

“I am not psychotic.” Jungkook denied.

“No, you just got a temper.” Chanyeol said, “It causes you to be something you are not.”

Jungkook went quiet; feeling like perhaps Chanyeol was implying something else.
“I’m not sorry, for what I did.”

“Threatening my assistant, calling my girl a or putting that motherer to sleep?”

When Jungkook didn’t answer, Chanyeol understood that Jungkook meant the latter. “I don’t expect you to be.”

“Do you regret it?” Phoenix asked, “Is that why you’re not sleeping?”

“No…” Jungkook said, “I’ll just take a while to get used to my bed. I have a problem with changing beds.” It was a lie, obviously, he had this problem ever since he was sixteen and started to go to military school. The change of place suddenly, being deprived of so many things he used to have, unable to look after his mother and brother suddenly as he was many miles away, had an effect on him. Jungkook was only able to sleep properly in their old house, in his old bed.

“I will talk to your teachers,” He said suddenly, “I’ll try to minimize the workload.”

Jungkook shook his head, internally cringing at how it sounded like pity. Jungkook doesn’t need pity. “Don’t, I will be fine.”

“I can’t prepare you properly while you drink a liter of coffee a day.”

, Phoenix had eyes everywhere, if he knows that, then perhaps he knows about everything else. Like how Jungkook locked himself in a secluded closet in the estate while running and had one of his attacks, for a reason unknown to himself earlier that day. “Caffeine isn’t the reason, okay? –“

“I want you to cut it a little, no more than two cups a day.” Chanyeol cut in, not minding his words.

He hated how he told him what to do, without listening to him, without hearing his side. He hates how he is always sidelined. “Is that an order?” Jungkook dared to ask, trailing his fingers on the railing he leant on, while his father leaned back in his seat in the balcony’s cold air.

“If I say yes,” Phoenix began, narrowing his eyes at Jungkook. “Will you be offended?”

Jungkook smiled sadly, looking the other way, is father observed his neck as he did so, the black ink suited him. Jungkook was born for this. “I have a clear idea of how our deal works.” He said, Phoenix would provide protection and Jungkook will repay by obedience. “You say jump, I ask how high.”

His father eyed him, titling his head slightly. He then got up, walking towards him, Jungkook wanted to take a step back, but the only thing behind him was the railing and a fall that could probably be deadly. He neared him, until they were exactly in front of each other, Jungkook gulped involuntarily, his charcoal eyes looking obsidian in the night, like a predator. “No, I say jump, you jump.” He said, as he put his hands in his pockets, Jungkook blinked nervously, tightening his hold on the railing behind him.

“You don’t ask how high.” Chanyeol took another step closer, now cornering him to the railing, like a predator to a prey. “You don’t look down.” His father took a peak behind his back, looking at the height the balcony was set. ”You close your eyes and you jump.” After he checked it out casually, he smiled at his son as if he hadn’t frightened him, smacking his shoulder like a father would, to which Jungkook recoiled from, feeling sick all of a sudden.

“Welcome to Neugdae Pa, Son.”

+

He tapped his fingers on the photographs before him, detailed and high quality. Two boys, the two of them wearing suits, standing in front of a coffin with their hands before themselves. The others was one with the oldest – Jungkook, in sweatpants and a hoodie taking a run around his fancy neighborhood and another one with the younger one in casual clothing, tight pants and a jean jacket.

They both resembled their father in one way or the other, the older looked the same, not physically wise but aura-wise, if that was even a thing. The younger only resembled their father with his eyes and how the camera caught how he watched the world around him.

Seokjin sighed, “This is ridiculous,” He spoke to his team, the same team that had gotten a hold of these private photographs before the Park brothers were seen in the funeral. But they were only able to get these shots because Phoenix wanted them to, he knew if he wanted to hide them some more, he would’ve done it. Hell, he hid their entire existence for eighteen years. “Two sons. Two sons.” He repeated, disappointed and frustrated to his team who sat at the meeting table. “He got two boys and we – the ing police, didn’t even know about it.”

“He, he hid them well.” A man, one of those who worked under him, said. “He never visited them, he never even gave the slightest hint that they existed. As far as we know, he could’ve picked them up yesterday from the streets.”

Seokjin sighed, , now any chances of this empire falling was just thrown out the window.

Cases and papers came and went from his desk, and still this one case doesn’t seem to be coming to an end any time soon. Five years, he has been on this taskforce for five years, they haven’t managed to do anything but to arrest him twice, in which Phoenix escaped the conviction each time with the help of his corrupt lawyer and powerful connections. It frustrated him, but Jin believed in justice.

Commander Kim Seokjin believed in justice and he had to take that mobster down.

One time, one of the agents that worked under his command had told him that this case shouldn’t be their main focus and should be thrown into a desk to collect dust, and to let people like Phoenix do what they do best which is manage the streets. After all, Phoenix was better than his father, and he was better than the mothering Chois who were like street rats annoying, hard to catch and even harder to kill, and better than the Chil Sung who take matters into their own hands if an officer tries to dig too deep.

The agent now worked on another task force, courtesy of Jin who decided he didn’t need such sort of tolerance for criminals on his team.

“But where were we?” Seokjin asked, “Where was our intelligence team? Out of nowhere, Neugdae Pa has two heirs, two boys to succeed their drug dealing piece of father while we sit here like ing idiots!”

He looked back at the board in the meeting room, a wide board with pins locking down all necessary information that they have managed to collect over the years, all connected together with green and red strings.

Green was for the underlings and red for the guys who called the shots. It was a pretty big board, connecting government officials and business men to thugs and drug cartels owners. People who had a shiny reputation with the public and relations to people who the normal public didn’t know existed.

The board was so big, and a picture of the mighty Phoenix was above them all, with a connection to everyone and everything. A king who ruled his kingdom with an iron fist, anyone who isn’t useful, is to be rid of, anyone who isn’t loyal is to be butchered like a pig and his head delivered to his loved one’s front porch, wrapped in a red bow.

Phoenix had a sick sense of humor.

He sighed, turning to his team who were just as frustrated as he was the tension in the room thick enough to be cut, “Okay, whatever happened, had happened.” He said, not forgiving nor dismissing, but lingering on things that were said and done wasn’t helpful. “Now, even though their mother is dead, he didn’t have to take them out of hiding, which must mean that he wanted to introduce his son properly.”

“That’s what we were expecting.” One the agents said.

“Okay, which means it’s time for Park Jungkook to get himself a crew and have his first kill.” Jin spoke, he hated the terms Wolves used in their language, a first kill is what a little pup does to deserve his mark – his tattoo, the tattoo that brands him to be worthy of the Wolves’ trust.

“We can try to catch him making his first kill, that could be hard, but not impossible.” The same woman says, she was the one who got the picture of the oldest wolf on his run even though he only leaves the house with presidential security. And when he says presidential, he means presidential, as in two cars trailing slowly behind his pace, men surrounding him, jogging along, two in front of him, two next to him, and two behind him. Phoenix knew his son had a current target on his back.

“Then let’s catch the kid.”

To say the least, Kim Seokjin really hated Neugdae Pa.

+

Normal, isn’t how he would describe Taehyung.

Looking at the old building that he used to call home for most of the year, Jungkook didn’t feel any sort of sentiment.
Hatred, or loathing wasn’t present in his chest, though he always tis place who believed that teenage boys should be punished into obedience. But really, though Jungkook hated the system the school was run by, he knew his way around. Jungkook has always been an excellent student, because he understood from young that all teachers wanted to feel like they were changing the world. Like they were benefiting the community, and he acted upon that.

He would improve accordingly, prove his worth, then stand up and salute the General.

The general was very fond of him, though some students and teachers weren’t, because Jungkook was obedient, he listened and obeyed, improved and focused.

But unlike him, the boy walking towards him, wearing a sweatshirt with a Van Gogh painting on it and loose black pants, wasn’t as good at surviving this system. Jungkook smiled, Taehyung was clearly weirded out by his sudden release from the school, but as soon as he saw him, Taehyung’s eyes lit up like the stars in a dark sky, and he ran to him.

"How in the world did you get me out?" Taehyung asked, surprised but happily plunging into his friend's tight hug. Correction, brother, Jungkook was like his brother. Though he won't ever say - or maybe he once did after all, Taehyung isn't very careful with his words - but Taehyung liked Jungkook more than his actual family. Though they were horribly different and their methods of dealing with are the opposites, Jungkook never judged him, only kept an eye on him in case he got in trouble.

Blood of the covenant is thicker than water of the womb.

“I asked for a favor.” Jungkook said, before he loosened his hold, about to let go, but Taehyung hung on to the hug.

“I’m sorry, about your mom,” Tae spoke sadly, quietly while still embracing him, tightening his hold a little. “I didn’t know, I swear I just found out now. Why didn’t you tell me?”

Jungkook sighed, he knew the General probably told are any excuse on why he left the school so suddenly, they couldn’t possibly have told him that his mom was dead, because Taehyung would’ve caused any sort of trouble to be expelled. So he can get out. The General had to be awfully sensitive while handling Taehyung, because he wouldn’t want the roof incident to happen again on his grounds. And Jungkook couldn’t tell him, because of the same reason, he didn’t want to cause him trouble, the only thing he said to Taehyung when he needed a place to escape to, that his real father showed up and he was dangerous motherer and was getting bad. Taehyung had the common sense to get him some cash and plane tickets.

“I didn’t want to worry you.” Jungkook said.

“Is Jae okay?” Taehyung asked. “How did you get me out? Wait, you have a tattoo now?!” he yelled, letting go, checking his neck.

“You joined a gang without me?!” Taehyung was very offended. Jungkook shook his head at his friend; he didn’t want to know why he joined a gang but was only offended that he did so without him. “Neugdae, Jungkook? You joined Wolves without me?!”

“Get in.” Jungkook said, as his security opened the door for them to the Yukon.

After telling him the whole story, from his meeting with his father in the hospital, to the funeral, including all the details, not missing one. If Taehyung agrees to join him, he needed to know everything.

“, man.” Taehyung cussed, “You’ve been through all that in just a week?”

“You know I have the tiest luck in the world, Tae.” Jungkook said, he saw one of the en that was with him, that is always with him, glancing at him for the twenty fifth time while he spoke to Taehyung.

“That’s not ty luck, you started a war in your past life.” Taehyung exclaimed loudly. “Like , Kookie.”

The car has already come to a halt in the middle of the story, they were already in the garage of Taehyung apartment building but suddenly Jungkook spoke to his men. “Give us a second.” They glanced at each other before exiting and when they were gone, Jungkook turned to his best friend.

“Look, Tae.” Jungkook began with a heavy heart. “I wanted to ask you to join me in this game. Until I can get out.” Taehyung looked like he was ready to answer but Jungkook beat him to it. “Remember Tae, this isn’t a childish game. This isn’t some cigarettes to sneak in the school, or some fights we get in to protect ourselves.” He sighed, looking him in the eyes, “This is drugs and weapons, gang . Real gang . I am going to have to hurt people, I am going to do bad things. Really bad things.”

“Like – like killing?” Taehyung asked hesitantly, playing with them hem of his sweatshirt.

Jungkook had of course purposely left out the part of the story where he killed his own step-father. It was a need-to-know kind of information and Taehyung didn’t need to know, at least not now. “That’s the least of it.”

Taehyung stared out the window as Jungkook continued, “You don’t have to join me, Tae. You can still go home and our relationship will remain the same. Your family won’t be able to send you back.”

“But we are the good guys, right?” Taehyung asked and Jungkook knew how to understand his language, he meant that they won’t be the bad guys who hurt because they can.

“At the end of the road, we might not be.” Jungkook answered honestly. “Hell, I’m not even sure that I will make it out.”

Taehyung then turned his eyes to him, suddenly really serious, he searched his eyes. “I don’t really have anything to lose, do I?”

“Yes, you do.” Jungkook said, “You got your girlfriend, you got your family. –“

“You’re my family.” Taehyung suddenly cut him off. For him, Jungkook, Jaehyun and their mom were his family, hell; he spent his mid-year vacation at Jungkook’s every year since he’s met him. Though Jungkook’s place was far from safe, it was safer than to stay with his brothers who found any opportunity to humiliate him. Plus, it felt good as he tried to have Jungkook’s back at his place like he always has his back in school.

“And you will always be family, Tae. Always.” Jungkook assured him, feeling like he may accept fearing that he will end up alone. Taehyung biggest fear is to end up alone. “But you have to understand what you’re involving yourself in.”

“You’re getting involved, how risky could it be?” Taehyung spoke; he knew how careful Jungkook was with his steps.

“I don’t have a choice.” Jungkook said. “You do.”

Taehyung went quiet, for a minute or so. Processing Jungkook’s words, it sounded dangerous. Very dangerous, like his father’s business only in a different way. But he’s learned from experience that a designer suit meant a gang tattoo too, just in a different way.

“Okay.” Taehyung shrugged, “I’m in.”

“Are you sure?” Jungkook asked, surprised. “Bad , Tae. I don’t know if we will make it out.”

“I’m sure you will figure it out.” Taehyung said, before he smiled. “Who knows, maybe we will like the game.”

“Tae –“

“In life or death, right?” His friend grinned widely, without any burdens, he grinned like they were on top of the world.

Jungkook let his head fall against the head rest, sighing. “Probably death.”

Maybe they weren’t going to make it out, or maybe they were, maybe they were going to die, or maybe they weren’t, but they knew one thing for a fact, they had each other’s backs and that was all that mattered right now.

“Death for sure.”

+

A/N: im writing in messy fractions again oops, im not fully satisfied but i would like to tell you not to abondon me, becasue i swear i got potential, it just isnt showing very well right now. please please comment your thoughts, and ideas, and my inbox is always open for suggestions. 

as you can see right now, the story is progressing with Jngkook plunging into the game, we will have Jaehyun's thought about everything and he will have a converstaion with his father. nothing was what it seemed and Phoenix is just about to understand that Jae isnt what he seems to be either. we will get into Rose and Jimin's life a little, you can see suga's character clearly but many plot twist will come. 

one thing you have to rememebr while reading my story, nothing was what it seemed. (That is sort of a sypnosis for the next chapter hehe.)